snow_leopard's journal

Where are you and where are you going?
snow_leopard

snow_leopard's journal

Post by snow_leopard » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:13 am

Hi all. I’m super glad to be posting my first entry. I’m inspired by all the journals and comments on here.

A little about myself - I'm 40, married, live in Texas, and work as a web developer. My hobbies are hiking/backpacking, playing music, climbing, reading. INF/TJ.

A while back I was in credit card debt and ERE blog and book as well as some other books/blogs helped me to dig myself out and get control of my finances and have a different perspective. I'm very grateful for that.

I’m still trying to figure out my goal(s) and what is possible in regards to my situation of when I can be FI. I'd like to stop being dependent on one source of income so I’m considering starting a side business. And I’m interested in reducing waste around the home so I’ve been reading up on that lately and making changes.

Viktor K

Re: snow_leopard's journal

Post by Viktor K » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:09 am

Totally off ERE-topic but how's climbing in Texas? I'm from there. My hometown had a "saw off all the bolts" policy several years back and has one measly gym that supports climbing/crossfit/ninja warrior (aka crap for climbing). Good job starting your journal. I've recently hatched an idea to self-teach myself web development. It is a high paying field, isn't it? Without too much spending, I think the path to a 4% SWR can't be too far in the future for you.

ira_kart

Post by ira_kart » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:28 am

ironical user name, is n't it? some called "snow_leopard" from TX? :) welcome to the family.

wolf

Post by wolf » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:48 pm

snow_leopard wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:13 am
A while back I was in credit card debt and ERE blog and book as well as some other books/blogs helped me to dig myself out and get control of my finances and have a different perspective. I'm very grateful for that.
Welcome snow_leopard! That sounds like a good start. Keep on.

snow_leopard

Post by snow_leopard » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:03 pm

Thanks for the welcome!

@Viktor - It's flat as a pancake where I am but a massive indoor bouldering gym opened nearby. I'm pretty new to the sport but I love it. I think when I get a little better at it I'll make the drive to try an outdoor spot, maybe Enchanted Rock. Web dev is a great field! There's a ton of resources online to learn.