wolf's journal

Where are you and where are you going?
fiby41

Re: wolf's journal

Post by fiby41 »

Did you reach the switching decision gradually or did something trigger it?

wolf

Post by wolf »

I saw a documentary about smartphone / internet addiction. It was based around consumerism, advertisement, thought/feeling manipulation, etc. Then I reflected my smartphone behavior. And then I gave it a try. After some days not using the smartphone, I switched it on again in order to watch a video during my high intensive interval training. I opened the youtube app. Then I scrolled down, scrolled further down, and further. And then I realized than I'm in the exact endless loop, which was described in the documentary. And only then I questioned myself "What am I really looking for?" That was some kind of realization, that until now I used videos (and maybe other stuff) in order to distract myself. And the distraction in my life due to a smartphone build up in the recent months, also due to work from home, because I have much more free time now. That's the story in short behind my Dumbphone Detoxing experiment.

Will

Post by Will »

Hi Wolf,
What is the name of the documentary? I have the feeling that I could benefit a lot from watching it, smartphone use is really one of my weak spots.

wolf

Post by wolf »

End of Q2 2020 financials

Expenses p.m. average = 449€
(without health insurance)

Savings Rate = 93%
(higher than usual due to a one-time extra income)

Withdrawal Rate = 2.5%

Cash = 40%
(invested heavily in bonds and gold)

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal »

Another good quarter @wolf. Your expenses have now consistently stayed under 1 JAFI for over three years, right? I'd sure be interested in a "nuts & bolts" post about how you are consistently doing this, if you would enjoy writing one. You're quietly dominating this board in spending and accumulation. :D

It's funny because a couple years ago when you first starting bring up the FI, but not with safety margin, I didn't grok it at all. Now, as I get closer to a FI myself (mostly due to spending decreases), I certainly do. Although I've yet to find a relationship with work that I feel is ideal for myself.

wolf

Post by wolf »

classical_Liberal wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:18 pm
Your expenses have now consistently stayed under 1 JAFI for over three years, right?
To answer your first question @classical_Liberal: It depends.
I'd like to be transparent with that, in order to have a fair comparison/view

If I only count my real expenses, I'm at 0.66 JAFI. (that is what I report quarterly)
If I'd count my real expenses + health insurance*, it would be 0.90 JAFI.
If I'd count my real expenses + health insurance + rent**, it would be 1.52 JAFI.

* currently it is payed directly from my gross income. If I'd to pay it when FIRE'd it would be 2300€ p.a.
** I don't rent currently because I live in my own apartment outright, which is fully paid off.

So I'm maybe not that JAFI-frugal you thought I'd be. Nevertheless it is low and I'm totally fine with that.

I'll answer your second question maybe in another post more detailly, although it is very difficult or very easy to be answered (depending on the complexity or simplicity of the "expected" answer ;) Most of it is already been discussed here or answered in various posts. To give you a preview, which you already know: live efficiently and effectively. That's the easy answer of course, which could mean cooking your own pizza, making your own peanut butter, switching a Smartphone with a dumbphone or ride your bike in really bad weather instead of taking public transportation ;) And below the surface is a whole system of values, tactics, strategies, tools, etc...

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal »

Yeah, don't feel obligated. There just aren't too many people running around here at or below 1 JAFI. So I think any and all examples of how these lifestyles are set up can be beneficial.

BTW, I don't think it's fair to ding yourself on rent when you own. I realize you may rent in the future, but that seems like you're double dipping yourself. Then again, ERE accounting is complicated. Each person must use a system that makes sense for themself.

wolf

Post by wolf »

My lifestyle hasn't changed very much in the few years. The biggest contributing factor was going car-free. I sold it 2016, right around the time, when I knew of ERE. It was a coincidence or not. I don't know. I had the idea of selling the car before I knew of ERE. Then I read Jacob's blog and the decision was super easy to be made.

Secondly, I would say what helped the most was trying to not buy anything. With those experiences I learned, what I really wanted and needed. My consumer expenses decreased a lot (relatively speaking) due to not buying anything.

Thirdly, always cook your own food and drink healthy. In my case green tea. I love it. And I buy that green tea in bulk of course.

I also let go of expensive hobbies which didn't add anything positive to my life, e.g. Stand Up Paddling, because it got crowded where I used to do it.

In total it could be very well summarized with Jacob's 21-day-makeover program.

What helped me the most is to question everything every time. Therefore I lived almost three years without a fridge or try doing the Dumbphone Detoxing. But those are only examples. The foundation of this is to question everything every time. How could you improve, reduce, optimize, eliminate or change it, in order to live more effectively and efficiently. And then try and do it.

Overcoming my own habits and renewing my belief system helped as well.

I very much optimized my current lifestyle. What I wanted to try is, if I could also live below 1 JAFI with a different lifestyle, e.g. with traveling, renting, rural house, etc. I lack the experiences of different lifestyles. I hasn't lived in a van, cabin or common housing. I has not yet traveled full-time and lived below 1 JAFI. I lack those experiences. And therefore I like to read not only your Journal @classical_Liberal, but also all others, who live differently, e.g. @2Birds1Stone, @Nomad, @slowtraveller, @ffj, etc. That is what I'm looking for in the future. I want to try different lifestyles and improve them as well, as well as I have already optimized my current lifestyle living an existence of a salary man in an apartment. Well, I'm looking forward to it, whatever comes.