The meandering musings of Mister Freedom

Where are you and where are you going?
Dream of Freedom

The meandering musings of Mister Freedom

Post by Dream of Freedom »

I have had a lot of trouble mantaining a journal in the past. When I would fall behind I would feel the need to explain what had happened in the time since writing, leaving a long narrative to be written that I had little ambition to write.

I have decided I have no need to chronicle my adventures. Though not having a journal is too limiting. I sometimes want to express myself in writing or sometimes even to get thoughts out of my head and onto paper.

So don't expect life updates, timeliness, a consistent theme, consistent style, or even decent writing.

With that said, here we go.

Gilberto de Piento

Re: The meandering musings of Mister Freedom

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

Don't put too much pressure on yourself, just write whatever you feel like sharing or recording for yourself. It doesn't have to be polished.

Dream of Freedom

A few years ago I was convinced by a post on this forum to use themes instead of goals for New Year's resolutions. You can fail a goal and quickly too. Themes are a little more robust. Last year my theme was less is more. The year before that it was habits. For 2018 it is Dean the doer. What I mean by that is that I want to read about and listen to podcasts about fewer cool things and try more things for myself.

I want to do a little self experimentation, do or make some things I have never done before, and challenge myself to a few week or month long challenges. Maybe I will challenge myself to eat vegan for a month or fast for a week. I want this year to be less about focus and more about growing broadly.

Dream of Freedom

I just finished The Brain: The Story of You by David Eagleman. The part about how some parts of the brain disagree with each other when making a decision was interesting to me. It also includes an intriguing discussion on bionics. How the brain can learn to see though a camera that sends little electrical signals through a pad on the tongue. Then talks about the possibility of adding new senses to humans. It would be awesome to see like Geordi La Forge without the invasive implants and the whole blindness thing.

In other news, I have always suffered from cramps in my hands when I write a lot. I finally after all these years I actually googled the problem. Turns out that I was just holding the pen too tight. School would have been so much easier if the Internet wasn't in its infancy at the time.

@Gilberto de Piento
Thanks

Family father

Post by Family father »

Dream of Freedom wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:15 pm
For 2018 it is Dean the doer. What I mean by that is that I want to read about and listen to podcasts about fewer cool things and try more things for myself.

I want to do a little self experimentation, do or make some things I have never done before, and challenge myself to a few week or month long challenges. Maybe I will challenge myself to eat vegan for a month or fast for a week. I want this year to be less about focus and more about growing broadly.
I like that "theme"!!

The broadening and experimenting versus specific changes looks very complementary to the "usual" improvement / driven change in certain concrete areas.

Did

Post by Did »

My sister has "year of"'s. Year of this, year of that. This year it is 10000 km of adventure. Or something like that. She was meant to do a year of simplicity, but to be honest her idea of it is different to mine. (eg the bought her 7 year old kid an expensive fitbit - he ate it).

Dream of Freedom

@Family father
It hasn't been a totally smooth transition between those 2 extremes, but things worth doing are rarely easy.

@Did
This way of thinking gives up some internal consistency for not completely giving up when life gets in the way or just have other goals. She wants her kids to be healthy. ;) Though admittedly the fit-bit probably doesn't have many vitamins.

Dream of Freedom

edited 9/21/18

Dream of Freedom

I feel like talking stocks.

So td ameritrade's income estimator tool estimates my yearly income from dividends to be 8,956.45 with an average of 746.37 per month. The top 5 contributors to my income being CLDT, ZMLP, MIC, CMRE-D, and JCAP. Scottrade had a similar tool before the merger and I actually liked it a little better, but it still has me checking it every few weeks so.

I've been trying to figure out the best way to trade the electric car trend. TSLA is uninvestable. The CEO is seeming increasingly unhinged sending out tweets that are probably going to get the company fined for market manipulation and smoking pot on the Joe Rogan Experience. The lithium producer SQM might be an interesting way to play it, but they have to break out of this downtrend they're in first. PCRFY might be a backdoor into tesla, they make the batteries for them, but the long downtrend is a turnoff and they don't have the same exposure to other car companies that are throwing their hats in the ring. TOSBF has some lithium tech that may payoff. Of coarse electric utilities would benefit from providing more of the country's energy needs. Although I already have a lot of them. I don't know. I'll think about it.