Pammys Path

Where are you and where are you going?
pammys

Re: Pammys Path

Post by pammys »

bryan wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 2:24 pm
You know of the (the complete) tightwad gazette, right? :D
Fer sure!!! Wish she was still writing, liked her style. :)

Not much to update lately. I'm so ready to get out of here I've threatened to pack up my tent and rough it. Alas, Oklahoma heat. :evil: Come on August!!

pammys

Post by pammys »

So, I think we have found us some housing to put out on the land. We are looking at a 2005 model Keystone Montana 36' 5th wheel we should be able to purchase in cash in a few months. It belongs to my sis's father-in-law, has triple slides with 2 big ones across each other in the living area and one in the bedroom, decent storage, plenty counter space, stackable washer/dryer, residential fridge, fireplace, large corner shower with small garden tub, large closet at the front end in bedroom, no leaks, floor is sound, no mold or soft spots. The top AC in the living area needs a bit of work that my bro-in-law can fix, and he will deliver it to the spot.

There are a few more newer nicer trade-in's available, but alas, they are out of my price range. I'm really digging the Montana mentioned above. From the research I'm doing, these are made for full-timers, but am unsure at this moment if this has the 4 seasons package (will have to look at her again). We will be doing some modifications regardless to help with heating and cooling.

pammys

Post by pammys »

A lot changes in a month.

Nope to the above mentioned 5th wheel. Sometimes family really can suck. Just as we were interested in this unit, after they have had it on their lot for 2 years, someone comes by and offers to buy it. Not one phone call from my own sister, the rv dealership owner and the one who signs the title over, to even ask me if we wanted it. She was the one who showed it to us! We found out it sold a few weeks later, after the fact, from an employee.

Then we had a round of finding a deal on a travel trailer on craigslist, making a 3 hour drive to view and possibly purchase, only to have the owner not answer the phone, voicemail, or emails the day we were waiting in their town. Thanks for letting us know.

Feeling pretty beat up about this, we kept looking.

And then, something fell into our lap. Although a little tougher to put onto our land, we found a small mobile home for free, if we would just move it. Made in the 70's, zero leaks and floor is sound. It's a 14x60, so sqft-age wise, it's perfect. Two bedroom, one bath for the two of us. Cost to move it the 6.6 miles is between $800-$1600 depending on the amount of work the hubby is willing to do. This is what we've been working on the past month. It came as-is, needed cleaning out. After the junk was removed and carpet and padding ripped out, I can work with the rest. Love the layout, and will be perfect for our needs.

Had the mover come out and thankfully said no problem getting it there, so this weekend the hubby will yet again be renting equipment and spending his days off getting the pad ready and road completed. Turned on water at the connection, had water shooting out at our end, woot!! Looked over a 3 days span for septic, no luck. It's there, somewhere, but after a plumber probing, metal detector, and many holes dug, still no luck. We are just going to get it out there, go compost toilet for a bit until we can just put in our own DIY barrel system in a few months. Grey water will be diverted to lower ground away from the house in the meantime.

Fun time ahead, I tell ya. Getting house moved, live-able, moving, getting current house ready to sell, all while taking 16 hours of upper level college classes online. This will be worth it! Will reduce living expenses by 30%.

Got stepson moved to college dorm last week. Sure is quiet around here, lol.

And sadly, one of my doggies is not doing so well, at all. I've had her almost 15 years, rescue doggy, she was over 1 year old when I got her. She's gone downhill this past month, but a lot really in the last few days. She's been getting thin for a little while, but is skin and bones lately, won't eat, drink, can't stand, can't lift her head, is twitchy.. it is breaking my heart. It is what it is and I can't deny anymore that she is suffering. We are saying goodbye to her this afternoon. My other doggy is shadowing her with a sad face like she knows what is going on.

Such is life, that is all for now.

Jason

Post by Jason »

Sorry about your dog.

At least it wasn't farting. When my friend's dog ended up like that, he would just be laying there waiting to die and then all of a sudden it would smell worse than Satan's hotel bathroom during Oktoberfest. Now both my friend and his dog are dead. Oh well.

Anyways, 15 years is a long time. I'm sure you have a lot of nice memories.

bryan

Post by bryan »

Can't beat free!

> only to have the owner not answer the phone, voicemail, or emails the day we were waiting in their town

Definitely a pet peeve of mine and I tend to overly-confirm plans with other parties. Thankfully, everything worked out nicely the time I took a one-way flight halfway across the country to buy my van.

Sounds like the beginning of a new life with all of that happening!

pammys

Post by pammys »

We did have her put down yesterday. I am grateful she is suffering no more. When I got her nearly 15 years ago she had been abused by the previous owner, badly. I am blessed to have given her almost 15 years of the love she so rightly deserved, best doggy I ever had. She can chase all the squirrels in heaven to her hearts content.

Aiming to do things as cheaply as possible. The house didn't come with appliances, but that is okay, hubby still had his fridge and stove in storage on the land from his place when he moved in with me. That's cool, current house has some awesome looking appliances that go very well with the home and will be a great selling point. I have to come to terms with losing a dishwasher, but that's cool as well. It appears there was one previously in new home, so if I just can't stand handwashing, that's an option. Hey, they say handwashing is more economical anyways, and I'm all about saving money. Unless we come across a free dishwasher, that is, lol. Truth be told, there's way less dishes to be done anyways with the stepson gone. Flooring in the two bedrooms and bathroom will need to be done. Am trying to decide if I should do peel and stick and throw a rug or just buy remnant carpeting for the bedrooms and DIY. Probably, whichever is cheaper, lol. We aren't talking a huge square footage, anyways, so it's probably a moot point.

About the craigslist thing, it was probably time I got handed that deal. I mean, I've had such good luck on every other deal and have driven much farther than that and have had success with every one. It was time, I suppose, haha. Lesson learned. :)

I'm so looking forward to see how much electric use will be once moved. As I sit right now, it pains me to hear the AC kick on. When I had the AC serviced two summers ago the repair man remarked how big the unit was and a much smaller unit would have sufficed. That stuck with me, and every time I hear it click on I just see money flying out. Don't get me wrong, in July when we had over 100 degrees for over a week I was thankful it was working, but ugh! During the day I get away with setting the temp to 80, but the hubby sure likes his house cool when he comes home. Once moved it won't be central anymore, and we can cool the room we are in. I plan to put more fans around so it will circulate and won't have to run them as much, in addition. The shade is going to be awesome!

pammys

Post by pammys »

Spent the day yesterday unskirting future home. Ended up with a full large water bottle full of bolts, screws and nails, 4 different kinds in all. Whoever put them on I wish to give a spanking to! Have half of one side left to do, it was getting too dark to complete. Thankfully, they rest are just nailed in. Now to unhook the utilities and we are set to move it. Hoping this will be done within the next week. When we went to dump all the tin skirting at our land (for possible future use on something) we decided we aren't going to put tin skirting back on as we can see the erosion of the panels on some edges from contact with ground. That, and it was a pain in the arse, short sections. Nope, when we do it, will be done the right way with the right materials. I know doing the work ourselves is saving us some $$ but man, it may have been worth the extra dough to have someone else do that part, haha.

Got news the other day my daughter Is going to make me a grandma again. Am very happy for them! At the same time, I don't feel old enough, lol. And I worry about them.. I just can't imagine bringing kids into this world with the way things are going. Maybe I need to quit reading all the collapse news, it weighs on me heavily. Climate change, economic collapse, talk of another recession/depression, upheavals in other countries, bubbles, etc. I suppose that talk has been going on hundreds of years and I should just go about as 'business as usual', but still. Most everything I am doing currently is to hedge against the economic aspect, living on the lowest expenses possible, more sustainable. That's not being 'business as usual' on my personal level, huh? Just rambling here, forgive me. I have this mental debate going with myself over investing in a stock market I don't always trust over investing in physical aspects that may give me better returns in a collapse scenario. Mental wanderings.

suomalainen

Post by suomalainen »

pammys wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:36 am
I just can't imagine bringing kids into this world with the way things are going. Maybe I need to quit reading all the collapse news, it weighs on me heavily. Climate change, economic collapse, talk of another recession/depression, upheavals in other countries, bubbles, etc. I suppose that talk has been going on hundreds of years and I should just go about as 'business as usual', but still.
Boy I feel this with my own kids (9,11,13). I suspect but mostly hope that you're right that "that talk has been going on hundreds of years" and this time around is no different, but...the worrier in me sometimes runs amok with this thought and can't let it go.

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

"The deaths of the young in the Second Pest [of Black Plague] halted repopulation, haunting the age with a sense of decline. In the urge to procreate, women in England... 'took any kind of husbands, strangers, the feeble and imbeciles alike, and without shame mated with inferiors.'"
- A Distant Mirror by Tuchman

I can't tell if now is different, or the same.

EDIT. Well, the reactions to a "haunted age" are polar opposites, but women are still mating the same.

pammys

Post by pammys »

A little good news from this end. Hubby got a promotion and raise. Hasn't even had his 90 day review yet, already promoted. The raise, with it's over-time, jumps the income up 29%.

Tomorrow will be unhooking the home from utilities and it's ready to move. Should take us a few weeks to get it live-able and moved in to. We are hoping for a quick sale on current home, will be a very low price and cash only, talking $5k, but honestly, I'd take $3k today for it to be done. There are other similar homes for sale in our area, will be asking lower than those (we really just want to unload it with only a little profit) to get it gone quicker. Let's face it, it's just a trailer, nothing special, but will still be paying monthly rent until it's sold, sooner the better.

Running more numbers after this has all settled, and it will look like our expenses to after tax income ratio will be around 38%. Not too shabby on a lower income, and one at that. I graduate in May, hopefully two incomes will follow shortly. According to some searches on starting salary in my field, income will at least double. Lots to do in the mean time, but I can see things happening, and not just dreaming of it anymore. :)

pammys

Post by pammys »

Well we got the house moved and leveled. Saved some bucks with the hubby doing the bulk of the work himself. We may have to wait a bit with the moving part, as we are waiting to hear what the electric company tells us the cost will be to connect. If it's too much, it will give me a great opportunity to have a deep discussion with the hubby on usage decrease and opting to alternatives (solar, propane ran appliances, etc.). Just have to wait and see.

That's all from this end. Just a lot of work to do. Todays agenda: work on fixing windows, turning on water and checking pipes, and look more for septic or decide on alternatives.

pammys

Post by pammys »

Just sick... had a really long update post and when I hit submit, it went to login page and it was lost. :twisted: (note to self: copy the whole damn long ass text you spent an hour on so you can paste it after you log in again)

pammys

Post by pammys »

Trying this again.

So I haven't updated in a while. Sorry bout that. Still working on everything. Have not moved yet, but it's close.

Much has been done and still can't wait to get out there. One of my favorite pass-times is running numbers so I can see just how much we can reduce expenses. This is an extreme forum, right? Boy howdy, can I go extreme. Can literally get expenses down to $200 a month if needed.

Now that it's gotten warmer and so excited about the setup out there, will help so much with the heating and cooling aspects. Purposely set the home to take advantage of passive/solar heating and cooling. It was mid 90's here the other day and was very tolerable with no real electricity out there. We did get the electric company to set the poles but are waiting to finish the remaining 100ft ourselves. In the mean time we have extension cords running to help with power tools and fans. I can see that we should be able to cut AC usage down a lot out there.

All that's needed is to finish the electric line, redo the plumbing with pex lines, install an electric on demand water heater, cut and set the kitchen sink, and repair 2 windows. Pretty much it.

And we may have a buyer for current home. Neighbors want to buy it for their dad so we may be moving fairly soon. I hope.

The expenses part, oh man! We are talking full on extreme hard core bare bones. I'm excited! :D

Here's my thinking.. most people who want to achieve FI aren't wanting to just sit on their rears and do nothing. Correct? No, they want the time to be able to do what they want without worrying about paying for living expenses. Am I right? What if what you want to do or enjoy doing produces and income? And that income covers your expenses. If you had a large emergency fund, would you really need passive income? Okay, you argue that you can't depend on what you enjoy doing producing enough income to cover your expenses. True. But can you guarantee that all the money you put in the stock market will always be there, even if the stock market crashes? That thought truly worries me. Like wake up one day and poof, it's gone, they say 'sorry, it's no longer there'. Then what? Are you 100% positive that that won't happen? So you say, you can always just go back to work. What if there isn't much work to be found? Then what?

Hey, if universal income becomes a thing, would that mean we are FI? haha

Anyways, those thoughts are in my head. Maybe it's the prepper thinking rearing it's head, I dunno. Was thinking along the lines of what can I use this 5 acres to produce something to sell or barter with. And keep expenses really low. And if what we produce or barter with meets our living expenses and we are no longer dependent on making a wage from paid employment.. that's some independence, right? It's independence from wage-slavery. Dependent on self. Not really passive, no, but if you're not going to be just sitting on your butts and doing something anyways, may as well set up different streams on income on those things you like doing.

Lots of ideas on different streams of income out there. If we do a few of them and get some going, this goal would be achievable.

Bah, anyways, those are just some of the things from the long post I lost. More later, must shut this hungry stomach up, haha. :)

pammys

Post by pammys »

Thank you @bigato.

Good ideas on the growing aspect. Good thinking! Pretty much what we are trying with the small garden started. I just picked a few things and put them in the dirt to see how they do. I know this year, since we aren't out there and can spend a lot of time on it just yet, we aren't going full out on growing a huge garden. So I just picked seven different things, things we will eat, and it will either be it grows good here or it doesn't. So far the tomatoes and green pepper are producing, and the watermelon, jalapeno and radishes are sprouting. Not much on the cantaloupe or onions, so far. Herbs and spices are definitely on the future list.

Wild game out there so far are deer, turkey and quail. Will be adding chickens in the next few years. That will help get the food budget down even more. The hubby has threatened to dig for a small fish pond, I kinda like the idea. :)

So those are ways that will help reduce the food budget, which is a biggy. Another biggy for us is electricity. We are on rural electric, which runs pretty high because they can. For example, last summer one of our bills was $320 a month, yuck!! Current house, though. This was using as many electric reductions strategies as I could, but where we live our summer can be BRUTAL. That month was mostly high 90's and low 100's.

We will be on the same rural electric once we moved. But here are differences that will help reduce electric usage: the home will be 1/3rd smaller than current home. 840sqft to heat/cool. We will also only be putting in 2 energy efficient window units, compared to the huge inefficient central unit we currently have. The home, as I said previously, we purposely set up to take advantage of passive/solar heating and cooling. The long sides face north/south, with the entry facing south. This helps a few ways, the north side has a bunch of tall shade trees to help block the northern summer sun, along with us blocking the northern side windows with blackout curtains. Will also be putting the window units on the northern side, blocking it from view when you drive up and getting shaded by the trees. During the winter the southern sun will be let in with the southern facing windows. The eastern short end is the kitchen, getting the morning warming sun. The short western end is the bigger bedroom, which will either have a shed added to help block hot evening sun, or a trellis with growing vines added to shade and help cool. The cross breeze during the day is good enough to not even need the AC on, we have been quite comfortable now at low 90's, with a box fan and plugged in ceiling fan running.

Also, currently have a very large electric water heater, new place will have an on demand water heater. We have procured some free poles to line dry clothing. For now we have electric appliances, but want to at least get a propane stove at a later date. Heating will be with propane stoves, using to warm the rooms we are in. Right now we cook mostly indoors but will be cooking more outside once moved. Grill, crockpot, microwave to cut down added heat in the home during summer. Will probably try solar cooking, as well. Use more fans over AC. The south side of house is fully shaded and awesome to hang out.

I anticipate saving around $100-$200 a month on electricity alone. Add in the food saving strategies, there's another $100 or $200.

What other bills do we have, and how can I reduce them. Cell phones: already have a fairly cheap prepaid with the local provider, $45 for two lines, no data. But can always go with redpocket to go lower or go through the hassle of freedompops free plan. Car insurance right now on two old paid vehicles is fairly cheap, $55 a month, can pay yearly or can always go with just one vehicle. Household stuff can bulk buy, make homemade, etc. Internet we have now and hope they can still service our new place isn't great, it's rural wireless, we pay $66 a month. Am checking with another provider to see if they can service our place with lower monthly. Can always not have it and hit the library when needed. Gas for vehicles is pretty high right now, with the running back and forth and hubby's commute. Once moved will cut some with hubby not able to run home for lunch (won't have time), and will batch trips for store items. Don't have cable/satellite and haven't for years, but we do have Netflix, which can be cut, use antennae. And lastly we have one spoiled shih Tzu that gets pampered every other month, I can learn to groom. That's it, that's pretty much our expenses.

That's it for now, time to gather some things and head out there to work on it some more. :)

SavingWithBabies

Post by SavingWithBabies »

Thanks for posting. I just wanted to say I really enjoy reading your updates. I've also had similar thoughts about accumulating money and trusting the stock markets versus living on less. It's definitely something to think about.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal »

Mark me as another reader happy to see you continue posting.

I absolutely agree with you wrt cashflow for ERE. I spent my first 3-4 year obsessed with saving money, now, as I near semi-RE, all I seem to care about is balancing my cashflow. I'm pretty confident I would NEVER feel safe if a SWR from assets is my only source of providing for myself. I think financial assets are really helpful, because they provide optionality other forms of capital may not. Still though, I view them as only one leg of a stool. Ideally, IMO, an ERE plan will have three or four legs, all yielding 50+% of needs. Hopefully one of them is some form of income, since one of the biggest risks to standard financial assets is inflation, and theoretically positive cashflow will scale with inflation over the long term.

pammys

Post by pammys »

Thank you all for the positive replies. :)

We've been trying to figure out the best way to divert some of the rain washout around our yard area. There is a hill you go over before you get to our place and the last hard rain there was some washout from the hill, put a lot of dirt/sand on our front yard area. That was okay because it kind of leveled it a bit, but we don't want it to continue. So the hubby thought of using some tree stumps his friend gave him. They really are pretty. He and his son lined them up to curve down the hill with our driveway and will divert any more dirt/sand from the road from going in the yard. It's got a earthy look to it, lines the road, and we got 'em for free. The only other part that is a concern is where we park, one small washout that created a dip where I park my car, but think they hubby has figured out how to fix that creating a drainage area that I can still walk over and will be using materials he already has.

Speaking of material we already have, there's a lot of scrap on the land that has been sitting there for years we will be loading up and taking to the scrap yard for some cash. These are things his late grandfather had from his former sand pit business, but is still scrapable. Grandmother wants them gone, hubby will put in his hauling effort to receive the money it gets. Part of the acreage is very sandy and a friend regularly comes to get sand for his DIY projects and keeps saying we need to bag it and sell it, haha. It's an idea.

I also wanted to put on here the benefits of purposely remaining a single income family. Lifestyle creep is a thing, and opposite direction we wanted to go. Staying single income forces us to keep lifestyle creep at bay. Also, if someone becomes ill or injured (it does happen) the other one can work. Remaining lower income removes some stress of one or the other finding mandatory higher income that may not be there, lower income is way easier to find if needed. Right now I am unemployed, no small children at home, the housewife.

Let me put on here the benefits of having a spouse/partner unemployed: there is no commute, gas and maintenance expenses, work clothes, restaurant meals because you're tired, housework piling up or housecleaner expense, lunches ate out, rushed grocery shopping and spending more, no time to shop around for better prices of things.. the list goes on and on.

For example, I spent an hour the other day getting car insurance quotes and reduced our bill $20 a month, thereby earning it. If I worked full time and didn't have the energy (or didn't care because I was "bringing it home") I probably would have just kept the same insurance. I take about an hour looking at grocery ads and planning my shopping and meal planning for the week and save money that way. Along with this, I also buy up items on sale and spend some time cutting or dicing or cooking them up and freezing them saving on grocery expenses this way. If we need a part or something I spend some time shopping around for a better deal saving money this way. I'm also able to take care of things during the week that my hubby does not need to take time off work to do, for the most part. Plus, he gets to come home to a picked up home with a home cooked meal and stress free wife and doesn't have to deal with any of the bill paying or meal planning or procuring of most household items, thereby making his work life easier. We could easily reverse roles (but I'm better at saving money, haha). I'm also available to my older parents (they are both 71), his grandmother, and occasionally babysitting the grandson. Sure, FI might possibly be faster with two incomes, but what is lost in the process?

Maybe what we're after is a hybrid ER. Extremely low expenses + more self sufficiency + different avenues of income = hybrid (or some other term). Like, maybe we are aiming to not have everything tossed in mutual funds keeping a normal household and waiting for a magical number to be able to retire from paid employment. Is that a thing? Can I still stay here? :)

Agree with you classical_Liberal, will need more than one leg. Exactly. Radical expense reduction, different income streams, plus small return from investments equals more peace of mind. Least for me. Then if the income from anything produced from us comes to a halt, we're okay. Or if the investments crap out, we're okay. Add in a beefy emergency fund and boom! So... how fast can I save up that amount? :D

Boy oh boy, got some work to do!

take2

Post by take2 »

If I understood correctly you have grandchildren and you help take care of your DH’s grandmother...which makes her a great-great grandmother? That’s incredible!

To your last post, there’s the proverbial 1000 ways to skin a cat. I for one enjoy your posts because it precisely shows there’s different ways to approach the same ERE goal. I live in a major city, work 75+ hours a week in a white collar job and dream about my eventual retirement to a farm in rural Portugal where my family is from. You’re already there! (Maybe not Portugal, but you get the point)

pammys

Post by pammys »

Stuff just got real. Stepson gave us a scare that sent us to the emergency room 3 times before they admitted him and spent a day hooked up to massive antibiotics and steroids. Best they can figure it was a severe reaction to a bite, although we never found the bite marks. Left side of his face swelled up one morning and was way worse by lunch, only to get worse with anti's and steroid after 2 days. He's home and better now, thank goodness. Where it got real was hubby's boss when he needed to take just one day off work when his son was in the hospital. To say he was a prick was an understatement. No offense, but family comes FIRST. Son was in there trying to fight sepsis, which could be deadly, and the guy was a jerk not just to the hubby but in front of customers being a jerk about having to cover for hubby. For ONE day. It may be unprofessional, but he is quitting, like today. This was not the only incident, but the one that broke the proverbial camel's back. We knew he wasn't going to stay there, this just proved it. He has 3 other side jobs lined up, but will be taking a few weeks to get stuff finally done out at the place and us moved before starting those.

This is what is going to be happening in the next few weeks: equipment rental to finish the road and redo problem parts when rain hits like it did; a few windows fixed, flooring in the kitchen and bedroom done; line trenched and laid for the remaining 100ft to hook up house to power; kitchen sink installed and stove and fridge out of storage; plumbing redone with pex; on demand water heater installed; and tie down house and put up skirting.

Then the move. Then the getting current house ready and up for sale. Might be a bit before we get internet out there.

We've been in limbo on this for so long. Between spending any extra money on little things here and there because where we are living is costing us more and it moving so slow, or not having the time to put in to get bigger projects done with weather permitting, it's taken a long time. Now the hubby will have a little chunk of time to do it. We are going for broke! haha

I'm ready, bring it!

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

Actually know a person who died from sepsis. That is no joke. Happy your husband quit that job...what kind of work environment is that?