Pammys Path

Where are you and where are you going?
ItsALongStory

Re: Pammys Path

Post by ItsALongStory »

Just read through the entire blog, very inspiring to see how you are fighting through the setbacks but still make progress in your day to day living conditions. I agree that it's not acceptable to question when someone puts family over work and that he made the right decision in quitting.

pammys

Post by pammys »

Here it is, over 5 months later.. still kicking.

Yep, we are in our new place and things have settled down a bit. Things never go as planned, and you can always plan on that. ;)

We are still semi-roughing it out here, but it works. Kind of a fun challenge. We finally have electric hooked up, took longer than expected, was running extension cords for a few months. We do not have plumbing fixed, but are making do with filling water jugs and heating water, it meets our needs. Kitchen isn't completed, but am still able to cook anything. Here are some other things we've learned:
-Discovered that the southern facing windows let in so much heat during the day that even in 40 degree weather I'm turning off heaters.
- Discovered that a solar shower bag hung in the shower with water from the spigot out your back door that you heated in a fry daddy and funneled into the bag gives an amazing shower when you are dirty.
-Discovered that a bucket toilet turns out not to be the horror you had anticipated, not bad at all.
-Discovered that you prefer sleeping in cooler weather with 4 blankets piled on because not only do you sleep so very sound but you know you are also saving heating costs.
-Discovered that turkeys roost in trees west of your bedroom window and make a lot of noise when they take flight and that they also love to use your driveway on their daily marches.
-Discovered you can burn your own trash out here in the country and are more mindful of how much waste there is and already thinking of how to reduce that amount.
-Discovered that your shih Tzu can and will roll around in an unidentified animals poo for whatever insane doggy reason. >.>
-Discovered your husband is thriving on finding alternatives and repurposing, a talent he didn't know he had.
And we're still new out here.

Guess I'll put down how we've been able to reduce some monthly expenses being out here so far:
-Rent- $185- bye bye lot rent. $185 a month saved.
-Doggy- $40 a month average- clippers I bought earlier in the year for $25. It's taken some patience, trial and error, and lots of luv to el pooch but it's getting better and she's almost as good as the groomers (except around the face, bane of my existence). $40 a month saved.
-Phones- $45 a month- we switched to an MNVO for AT&T since we have better AT&T service in this area and our phones were already with them. Unreal mobile uses AT&T towers, unlimited talk/text and 1gb data (after which is throttled), for $10 each, no hidden fees. Worked pretty good, similar to previous prepaid with AT&T. But still wanted to get that lower than $20 a month ($10 each on 2 phones). So I signed up for lifeline, since we are low income. My lifeline phone is free, no issues, it uses Sprint, seems to be a bit better reception out here in the boonies than the AT&T phone. $35 a month saved.
-Internet- $66 a month- Researched the heck out of this. We are in a hole, so line of sight for a wireless provider wasn't going to cut it. Satellites are expensive and crappy service. A hotspot was the answer, but who? Well, since we were low income, went with pcsforpeople.org for internet, which works with Sprint. Since I already discovered Sprint worked well in the area, gave it a shot. Had to buy the hotspot for $80, but after it is $16 a month. 23gb of data, after which is deprioritized. Have had it a month and purposely used more than that to see, haven't seen any deprioritization, maybe a buffer a time or two on a free streaming channel. Tiny little hotspot sitting in my west facing window actually does way better than my former WISP. $50 a month saved.
-Food- $200 a month- For a time we were unemployed, so we qualified for food stamps. This will not always be the case. The good thing about this is we will be able to buy seeds with it for future garden. There is also a food bank in town we have been to a few times, it has helped tremendously. At least $200 a month saved, currently.
-Electricity- $300 a month- Still not positive on the amounts, but at least $115 a month saved. Less square footage. Southern facing windows to help heat. Heating only area we are in. Caulking and stripping around windows. Insulated blanket hung on hallway to keep heat in main room. Towel rolled up in front of drafty back door. Extra blankets on bed. More layers worn. House shoes. I mean, here it is, 9:35am, phone says it's 37 degrees outside... but the sun it out and shining and I'm literally about to go turn off heaters already. Former home I would have had heaters on all day and would have still been cold. Will be conservative and say at least $100 a month saved.
-Gas- $250- Well, we aren't having to drive out here daily to work on the place. Yes, we do have a bit more of a to drive to town, but not as often now. Hubby's new job is closer than his former, and less days a week, so gas saved there, as well. Plus, my former vehicle crapped out which is replaced with a used car with better mpg. At least $50 a month on gasoline saved.

How much is that so far, haha? $660 a month. Not bad, not bad.

Yeah, the car thing.. happened in the midst of all this. Oh well, the minivan had over 200k miles on her, never left me stranded, and was good for 2 years while I had it. Served it's purpose and now will let others have needed parts from her. The replacement is yet another used one found for $400. My dad found it cause he finds things others don't look at that he can fix. It was wrecked in back but still ran. My dad fashioned a back bumper out of scrap pieces of washing machine, painted it, and you can't tell from a distance anything is wrong with it at all. Car is a nothing fancy, just a 4 door sedan, but a 4 cylinder that gets better gas mileage. I mean, we live down a dirt road, no sense driving anything fancy. :)

On to income: still single income. Hubby is working at a steak house about 3 miles down the road. Four evenings a week, a leave it at the door kind of job. Fed when he works and gets to bring home catfish sometimes, and scrap steak for the pooch. He has fun while he works, even if it is physically demanding. Three full days off, and most of the day when he works. Still working side jobs when he can for extra income. Still no having to set an alarm clock. And I am able to help my daughter with grandkid (grandkids, another one due any day now). Our expenses are about 40% of the steak house income. As of now our excess income is going into developing the land and finishing the home.

We certainly do not live like the norm in my small circle of people. At Thanksgiving with just my family alone my $400 12 y/o Sebring was parked amidst a BMW, Mercedes, Infinity, Cadillac and a brand new Chevy SUV. My parents are the only other sensible people driving older used vehicles that were gotten cheap in cash and fixed up, I must have gotten common sense from them. :) While my sisters enjoy their McMansions, I am thoroughly enjoying my non-McMortgage. Sisters are in late 40's/early 50's and I don't think a one of them have under 25 years left on their mortgage on their over sized homes. In October one sister had all of her 13 (yes, 13!!) credit cards stolen on a cruise in Mexico. One sister just started a small trucking company on money borrowed against their 401k. The other sister has everything, and I mean everything, with her RV business tied up in loans to the bank. RV's are a volatile business especially with the economy. Now I hear trucking is hurting now, too. I know they don't "get" me. I'm a favorite topic for them to talk about amongst each other. What irks me is the pity, they pity me. No amount of talking on my part will ever make them get that I.pity.them. No one I know in real life gets this, aside from my parents. Thank you all for letting me put this out there where I feel like some of you guys get it. It is much appreciated.

Frita

Post by Frita »

I just binge-read your journal. What an awesome journey! Having people feel sorry/judge doesn’t feel good. I wonder if seeing your changes and progress spurs them to reflect, not feeling so great about themselves, and projecting that BS on you.

mooretrees

Post by mooretrees »

Fun update Pammy. Where do you fill up your water, do you have a well onside? I'm thinking of trying that too when we move into our school bus. Seems like it would be a pain, but then you would get used to it and get very sensitive to how much water one uses.

Awhile ago you wrote about your hybrid ER approach. I want to do that too! I don't want to have to work for 10 years and then just be on perennial vacation, living on investments. I think it seems more interesting and less vulnerable to have some investments, work part time here and there and have very low expenses. I'm still a work in progress on all of those things.

pammys

Post by pammys »

Frita wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:19 pm
I just binge-read your journal. What an awesome journey! Having people feel sorry/judge doesn’t feel good. I wonder if seeing your changes and progress spurs them to reflect, not feeling so great about themselves, and projecting that BS on you.
Hadn't thought of it that way, huh. Here's to hoping my experiences will open up a world where consumerism's and keeping up with the Jones's are not a great thing.
mooretrees wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:44 am
Fun update Pammy. Where do you fill up your water, do you have a well onside? I'm thinking of trying that too when we move into our school bus. Seems like it would be a pain, but then you would get used to it and get very sensitive to how much water one uses.

Awhile ago you wrote about your hybrid ER approach. I want to do that too! I don't want to have to work for 10 years and then just be on perennial vacation, living on investments. I think it seems more interesting and less vulnerable to have some investments, work part time here and there and have very low expenses. I'm still a work in progress on all of those things.
There's a well on the property and a spigot just out our back door. I mean it isn't that big a deal to fill water jugs, but when you are so used to just turning on a faucet, it is.. you really see where it goes because you know it will have to be replaced. I can wash dishes with a gallon of water, and showers are 3 gallons. Thankfully we just run a hose to hook up the washing machine, I can't imagine hand washing clothes, but ya know, I bet we could do that, too. It's all been a good eye-opening experience.

When I think about it now, the hybrid ER approach is pretty much how Jacob did it, right? (Correct me if I'm wrong here, Jacob) Got expenses way down, had a goal to cover expenses and ERE, but then didn't just quit and be on vacation, still does things that earns income when he feels like it. He has that choice. That's all any body wants, right? The choice.

Really wish healthcare wasn't so volatile, the unknown. Aside from it my goal right now would be $150,000 invested, that'd give a return to cover basics only. Hmmm... Haha, I'm rambling, must get more coffee. :)

Frita

Post by Frita »

I am relate to bucket showers from my time in Honduras. I was fine with getting the water as long as it was hot outside. Having to heat the water up was the step I found cumbersome. Since you have a solar shower, I believe, you have sidestepped that issue.

Hauling water and van dueling both recalibrate water use. (My water wasting is limited to showers.) Our older hardtop van only has a toilet and sink shared with the kitchen. We typically use an indoor bathroom anywhere we are. Boondocking is more our style so no campground bathrooms. To cleanup we had been using sponge baths, from which one doesn’t feel quite clean. We have to try the solar shower. (Can you recommend one?) It is amazing how little water one needs compared to just leaving the tap open.

Jacob’s model is robust because it allows for serendipity, earning money if an opportunity comes along. With the web of goals, one can develop skills while pursuing a hobby and even make money. In my mind, ERE is different from FIRE in three major ways: 1) There is more focus on a whole system, including skill development, not just saving and investing. 2) It is more about having choices to pursue the life one wants rather than be on a permanent vacation. 3) The dollar amount to pull the trigger and be done is much lower.

Healthcare is the big wildcard for a lot of people. Optimizing health is part of ERE, but there no controlling what the government or healthcare and insurance businesses do.

mooretrees

Post by mooretrees »

Frita wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:20 pm

Jacob’s model is robust because it allows for serendipity, earning money if an opportunity comes along. With the web of goals, one can develop skills while pursuing a hobby and even make money. In my mind, ERE is different from FIRE in three major ways: 1) There is more focus on a whole system, including skill development, not just saving and investing. 2) It is more about having choices to pursue the life one wants rather than be on a permanent vacation. 3) The dollar amount to pull the trigger and be done is much lower.

Healthcare is the big wildcard for a lot of people. Optimizing health is part of ERE, but there no controlling what the government or healthcare and insurance businesses do.
I really agree Frita. From what I've read of Jacob's history, again not speaking for him, he had a scale-able job lined up (copy editing) that he knew would work, really low expenses (and years of those low expenses) and a decent amount invested.

So far Pammy I think you have the low expenses (and creativity to find solutions) nailed. Weren't you pursuing a degree in something? Is that still happening? It sounds like your hubby has lots of drive and skills (as do you!), so it seems like you are well on your way to getting the investment part figured out and being mostly retired.

pammys

Post by pammys »

mooretrees wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:13 pm
So far Pammy I think you have the low expenses (and creativity to find solutions) nailed. Weren't you pursuing a degree in something? Is that still happening? It sounds like your hubby has lots of drive and skills (as do you!), so it seems like you are well on your way to getting the investment part figured out and being mostly retired.
Yes, I finished my degree a year ago with the intention of not getting serious with what to do with it until after the move. Then came the daughter who needed help with grandkids. Have applied to online jobs (now that we have internet figured out out here :) ) to go with helping her with the kiddos until she gets settled and newborn is a bit older.
Frita wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:20 pm
I am relate to bucket showers from my time in Honduras. I was fine with getting the water as long as it was hot outside. Having to heat the water up was the step I found cumbersome. Since you have a solar shower, I believe, you have sidestepped that issue.

Hauling water and van dueling both recalibrate water use. (My water wasting is limited to showers.) Our older hardtop van only has a toilet and sink shared with the kitchen. We typically use an indoor bathroom anywhere we are. Boondocking is more our style so no campground bathrooms. To cleanup we had been using sponge baths, from which one doesn’t feel quite clean. We have to try the solar shower. (Can you recommend one?) It is amazing how little water one needs compared to just leaving the tap open.
I can relate to that as well, having lived out of a van for 6 months a few years back. Can also relate to sponge baths not feeling quite clean, haha. The one I bought 4 years ago washttps://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Elements-Gallon ... B000J2Q0T4 It's been getting heavy use these past few months. We haven't really tried warming it with just the sun, as it is cooler weather now and can heat up water easily, but have read it works well warming it that way. And we don't really fill it up with 5 gallons, usually just 2-3 gallons is way plenty. It's holding up really well, I can recommend. :) The ones they make from a garden sprayer looks interesting, as well, and you might check it out.

Frita

Post by Frita »

Thanks for the recommendation, Pammy. I put it on my wishlist for when I am ready to pull the trigger. Agreed, 2-3 gallons is plenty for a shower and to feel clean. (My hair is fine and shoulder-length.)

pammys

Post by pammys »

What a year this is, eh? I don't even know what to think anymore. I do know I am super grateful to have been working on the reducing expenses aspect well before all this hit. Hope every one out there is doing okay!!

We were one of those unemployed from this. Have been putting that unemployment benefits to use by acquiring things needed for our place while they were still available and hasn't seen inflation make them unobtainable yet. Work tools, septic system, plumbing, wood, gardening tools, repairs on house, stuff like that. Seemed to be a better return than the volatile stock market. (runs and hides) Yes, I know, I still have problems blindly trusting the stock market. I'm working on it. ;)

Still working on the expenses reduction. Currently expenses around $300 a month. Yep. Nice!!

Actually, with this extra time off the hubby has figured out a crop that grows here that may produce enough income to cover our low expenses, and then some. Great because it is looking like he won't have a job to go back to. Will know more in the next month or two if this crop does what we hope. If that's the case then we will no longer need paid employment. The tax laws for hobby farming are kind of confusing me, must research it more. We may just be a niche small time farmer yet. :)

Hope everyone out there is well and staying safe. Cheers!

mooretrees

Post by mooretrees »

I've been thinking of you hoping to hear how you were making it through this. Thanks for the update, so glad to hear you're weathering it well! Not surprised to hear it, as you've demonstrated great resourcefulness in the past.

Good luck with farming!