Pammys Path

Where are you and where are you going?
pammys

Re: Pammys Path

Post by pammys » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:38 pm

bryan wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 2:24 pm
You know of the (the complete) tightwad gazette, right? :D
Fer sure!!! Wish she was still writing, liked her style. :)

Not much to update lately. I'm so ready to get out of here I've threatened to pack up my tent and rough it. Alas, Oklahoma heat. :evil: Come on August!!

pammys

Post by pammys » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:10 am

So, I think we have found us some housing to put out on the land. We are looking at a 2005 model Keystone Montana 36' 5th wheel we should be able to purchase in cash in a few months. It belongs to my sis's father-in-law, has triple slides with 2 big ones across each other in the living area and one in the bedroom, decent storage, plenty counter space, stackable washer/dryer, residential fridge, fireplace, large corner shower with small garden tub, large closet at the front end in bedroom, no leaks, floor is sound, no mold or soft spots. The top AC in the living area needs a bit of work that my bro-in-law can fix, and he will deliver it to the spot.

There are a few more newer nicer trade-in's available, but alas, they are out of my price range. I'm really digging the Montana mentioned above. From the research I'm doing, these are made for full-timers, but am unsure at this moment if this has the 4 seasons package (will have to look at her again). We will be doing some modifications regardless to help with heating and cooling.

pammys

Post by pammys » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:48 am

A lot changes in a month.

Nope to the above mentioned 5th wheel. Sometimes family really can suck. Just as we were interested in this unit, after they have had it on their lot for 2 years, someone comes by and offers to buy it. Not one phone call from my own sister, the rv dealership owner and the one who signs the title over, to even ask me if we wanted it. She was the one who showed it to us! We found out it sold a few weeks later, after the fact, from an employee.

Then we had a round of finding a deal on a travel trailer on craigslist, making a 3 hour drive to view and possibly purchase, only to have the owner not answer the phone, voicemail, or emails the day we were waiting in their town. Thanks for letting us know.

Feeling pretty beat up about this, we kept looking.

And then, something fell into our lap. Although a little tougher to put onto our land, we found a small mobile home for free, if we would just move it. Made in the 70's, zero leaks and floor is sound. It's a 14x60, so sqft-age wise, it's perfect. Two bedroom, one bath for the two of us. Cost to move it the 6.6 miles is between $800-$1600 depending on the amount of work the hubby is willing to do. This is what we've been working on the past month. It came as-is, needed cleaning out. After the junk was removed and carpet and padding ripped out, I can work with the rest. Love the layout, and will be perfect for our needs.

Had the mover come out and thankfully said no problem getting it there, so this weekend the hubby will yet again be renting equipment and spending his days off getting the pad ready and road completed. Turned on water at the connection, had water shooting out at our end, woot!! Looked over a 3 days span for septic, no luck. It's there, somewhere, but after a plumber probing, metal detector, and many holes dug, still no luck. We are just going to get it out there, go compost toilet for a bit until we can just put in our own DIY barrel system in a few months. Grey water will be diverted to lower ground away from the house in the meantime.

Fun time ahead, I tell ya. Getting house moved, live-able, moving, getting current house ready to sell, all while taking 16 hours of upper level college classes online. This will be worth it! Will reduce living expenses by 30%.

Got stepson moved to college dorm last week. Sure is quiet around here, lol.

And sadly, one of my doggies is not doing so well, at all. I've had her almost 15 years, rescue doggy, she was over 1 year old when I got her. She's gone downhill this past month, but a lot really in the last few days. She's been getting thin for a little while, but is skin and bones lately, won't eat, drink, can't stand, can't lift her head, is twitchy.. it is breaking my heart. It is what it is and I can't deny anymore that she is suffering. We are saying goodbye to her this afternoon. My other doggy is shadowing her with a sad face like she knows what is going on.

Such is life, that is all for now.

Jason

Post by Jason » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:10 pm

Sorry about your dog.

At least it wasn't farting. When my friend's dog ended up like that, he would just be laying there waiting to die and then all of a sudden it would smell worse than Satan's hotel bathroom during Oktoberfest. Now both my friend and his dog are dead. Oh well.

Anyways, 15 years is a long time. I'm sure you have a lot of nice memories.

bryan

Post by bryan » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:17 pm

Can't beat free!

> only to have the owner not answer the phone, voicemail, or emails the day we were waiting in their town

Definitely a pet peeve of mine and I tend to overly-confirm plans with other parties. Thankfully, everything worked out nicely the time I took a one-way flight halfway across the country to buy my van.

Sounds like the beginning of a new life with all of that happening!

pammys

Post by pammys » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:38 am

We did have her put down yesterday. I am grateful she is suffering no more. When I got her nearly 15 years ago she had been abused by the previous owner, badly. I am blessed to have given her almost 15 years of the love she so rightly deserved, best doggy I ever had. She can chase all the squirrels in heaven to her hearts content.

Aiming to do things as cheaply as possible. The house didn't come with appliances, but that is okay, hubby still had his fridge and stove in storage on the land from his place when he moved in with me. That's cool, current house has some awesome looking appliances that go very well with the home and will be a great selling point. I have to come to terms with losing a dishwasher, but that's cool as well. It appears there was one previously in new home, so if I just can't stand handwashing, that's an option. Hey, they say handwashing is more economical anyways, and I'm all about saving money. Unless we come across a free dishwasher, that is, lol. Truth be told, there's way less dishes to be done anyways with the stepson gone. Flooring in the two bedrooms and bathroom will need to be done. Am trying to decide if I should do peel and stick and throw a rug or just buy remnant carpeting for the bedrooms and DIY. Probably, whichever is cheaper, lol. We aren't talking a huge square footage, anyways, so it's probably a moot point.

About the craigslist thing, it was probably time I got handed that deal. I mean, I've had such good luck on every other deal and have driven much farther than that and have had success with every one. It was time, I suppose, haha. Lesson learned. :)

I'm so looking forward to see how much electric use will be once moved. As I sit right now, it pains me to hear the AC kick on. When I had the AC serviced two summers ago the repair man remarked how big the unit was and a much smaller unit would have sufficed. That stuck with me, and every time I hear it click on I just see money flying out. Don't get me wrong, in July when we had over 100 degrees for over a week I was thankful it was working, but ugh! During the day I get away with setting the temp to 80, but the hubby sure likes his house cool when he comes home. Once moved it won't be central anymore, and we can cool the room we are in. I plan to put more fans around so it will circulate and won't have to run them as much, in addition. The shade is going to be awesome!

pammys

Post by pammys » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:36 am

Spent the day yesterday unskirting future home. Ended up with a full large water bottle full of bolts, screws and nails, 4 different kinds in all. Whoever put them on I wish to give a spanking to! Have half of one side left to do, it was getting too dark to complete. Thankfully, they rest are just nailed in. Now to unhook the utilities and we are set to move it. Hoping this will be done within the next week. When we went to dump all the tin skirting at our land (for possible future use on something) we decided we aren't going to put tin skirting back on as we can see the erosion of the panels on some edges from contact with ground. That, and it was a pain in the arse, short sections. Nope, when we do it, will be done the right way with the right materials. I know doing the work ourselves is saving us some $$ but man, it may have been worth the extra dough to have someone else do that part, haha.

Got news the other day my daughter Is going to make me a grandma again. Am very happy for them! At the same time, I don't feel old enough, lol. And I worry about them.. I just can't imagine bringing kids into this world with the way things are going. Maybe I need to quit reading all the collapse news, it weighs on me heavily. Climate change, economic collapse, talk of another recession/depression, upheavals in other countries, bubbles, etc. I suppose that talk has been going on hundreds of years and I should just go about as 'business as usual', but still. Most everything I am doing currently is to hedge against the economic aspect, living on the lowest expenses possible, more sustainable. That's not being 'business as usual' on my personal level, huh? Just rambling here, forgive me. I have this mental debate going with myself over investing in a stock market I don't always trust over investing in physical aspects that may give me better returns in a collapse scenario. Mental wanderings.

suomalainen

Post by suomalainen » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:36 pm

pammys wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:36 am
I just can't imagine bringing kids into this world with the way things are going. Maybe I need to quit reading all the collapse news, it weighs on me heavily. Climate change, economic collapse, talk of another recession/depression, upheavals in other countries, bubbles, etc. I suppose that talk has been going on hundreds of years and I should just go about as 'business as usual', but still.
Boy I feel this with my own kids (9,11,13). I suspect but mostly hope that you're right that "that talk has been going on hundreds of years" and this time around is no different, but...the worrier in me sometimes runs amok with this thought and can't let it go.

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:15 am

"The deaths of the young in the Second Pest [of Black Plague] halted repopulation, haunting the age with a sense of decline. In the urge to procreate, women in England... 'took any kind of husbands, strangers, the feeble and imbeciles alike, and without shame mated with inferiors.'"
- A Distant Mirror by Tuchman

I can't tell if now is different, or the same.

EDIT. Well, the reactions to a "haunted age" are polar opposites, but women are still mating the same.

pammys

Post by pammys » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:41 am

A little good news from this end. Hubby got a promotion and raise. Hasn't even had his 90 day review yet, already promoted. The raise, with it's over-time, jumps the income up 29%.

Tomorrow will be unhooking the home from utilities and it's ready to move. Should take us a few weeks to get it live-able and moved in to. We are hoping for a quick sale on current home, will be a very low price and cash only, talking $5k, but honestly, I'd take $3k today for it to be done. There are other similar homes for sale in our area, will be asking lower than those (we really just want to unload it with only a little profit) to get it gone quicker. Let's face it, it's just a trailer, nothing special, but will still be paying monthly rent until it's sold, sooner the better.

Running more numbers after this has all settled, and it will look like our expenses to after tax income ratio will be around 38%. Not too shabby on a lower income, and one at that. I graduate in May, hopefully two incomes will follow shortly. According to some searches on starting salary in my field, income will at least double. Lots to do in the mean time, but I can see things happening, and not just dreaming of it anymore. :)

pammys

Post by pammys » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:39 am

Well we got the house moved and leveled. Saved some bucks with the hubby doing the bulk of the work himself. We may have to wait a bit with the moving part, as we are waiting to hear what the electric company tells us the cost will be to connect. If it's too much, it will give me a great opportunity to have a deep discussion with the hubby on usage decrease and opting to alternatives (solar, propane ran appliances, etc.). Just have to wait and see.

That's all from this end. Just a lot of work to do. Todays agenda: work on fixing windows, turning on water and checking pipes, and look more for septic or decide on alternatives.