Lemur Journal!

Where are you and where are you going?
Lemur

Re: Lemur Journal!

Post by Lemur »

- Purchased LEAP on Visa. Will be running the PMCC strategy to lower cost basis.

V 01/20/2023 C $190.00 for $49.51.

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

January 1, 2021

Investments:
Invested - $345,400
Cash Savings - $6,800
Total - $352,200

Financial - Fun. Up another $18,300. Having fun with trading options and learned quite a bit the past 2 months. I now have LEAPS on AMD and VISA. For both of these, I am also selling calls against them to lower the cost-basis (this is called the Poor Mans Covered Call). I am also using about $25k to run an option wheel on PLTR. Selling puts at the moment but likely I'll be assigned the capital at $25 per share in January as I'm below the strike price and PLTR began a downtrend. Holiday expenses are over but since we're moving, those expenses will increase.

Physical Health / Diet: Maintained right at 180lb but did have to diet 5-6 or so days in December. Have done a lot of physical activity lately and even started jogging again...periodically. Tough to make a habit right now but I'm at least somewhat consistent.

Mental Health: Varying degrees. Not having a contract at work sucks but I am starting to relax about it. I've been so focused on options trading and moving, the job has been mostly in the back of the mind.

Job: On the bench. Government negotiations start again Jan 8.

Gardening: None. Once we're moved, I will begin the great debate with my sister on where I am allowed to plant. She doesn't want garden beds in the front of the house which is ridiculous to me as some of the neighbors garden in the front because we live on a hill and the backside is just a long downslope where its tough to work or even do anything.

Family: Moving further south in my Sisters recently purchased home. We're taking the basement and paying $1200 rent which includes utilities. We will be 20 minutes closer to my immediate family (Mother & Brothers) but further from my Grandparents. My Son will also be 3 miles or so from the nearest elementary school. He starts school this year in 2021.

Other: Still periodically reading The Moneyless Man by Mark Boyle. Studying more options strategies. This month I'll be practicing running DCF on some of my stocks as I have not performed those calculations in a while. I am having a tough time thinking about 'the discount rate'. We're in such a weird environment.

Goal Shooting for a very aggressive goal which will not only take a continued high savings rate, my Spouse's continued business success, and a few lucky options trade....want to hit $500k by end of 2021. This assumes the market either stays the same or increases. I believe $400k is definitely doable but $500k is lucky.

Cheepnis

Post by Cheepnis »

Lemur, you're kinda killin' this whole active portfolio thing. Good job, you're making it look easy!

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

Lemur: 46.7%
2020 S&P 500: 16.26%

Thanks Cheepnis.

Yeah this was a life changing year. COVID crash happened and I switched to active investing...went heavy on MSFT, SQ, and AMD. SQ I sold nearly 300% return. I still hold MSFT and AMD.

Hope to carry success in 2021. Taking calculated risks was and is a new mindset I’m developing constantly.

I keep getting this feeling that the line between skill and luck is thin. But what I do know is that I struck the science vs art of actively managing well last year. You won’t get these returns by passive investing...but I still believe the data shows that a passive investor will win out in the long run. All I need is one bad year for that to ring true.

But in the initial stages of investing and building a portfolio...more people ought to learn calculated risk taking. A 300% returned investment is a life changing situation for ones portfolio. Takes money to make money afterall. For instance, if S&P beats me next year...will it matter? Because the dollar amount of my portfolio still exponentially increases from one strong year early on.

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

6 weeks without billable work....I'm probably on some labor cost cutting list somewhere at this point but I do have 2 pending contracts. One for a Fed Gov't client (Jan 8 negotiations that I've mentioned before) but on another short-term proposal now to help out a bank to automate some database processes (fun actually; hope we win this). I have yet to work for a commercial client / private client my whole career so that should be interesting.

If these fall through then I really think the plan is now to play it cool but start job searching....

Spouse objected to any ideas of me taking a year off lol. No amount of numbers and graphs helped. I can't blame her...we've such great momentum right now. I need to 'snap out of it' whatever this funk I'm in.

Note to self when I start working: I'm a mess without work. It is what it is...I tried to meditate on these thoughts (literally) but came up with nothing for root cause. Its not that I care what others think of me ("look at that bum who is not working") its more like...I feel like I have to be doing something? Or is that I personally feel useless if I'm not working? It definitely does not help its winter. Outdoor activities are nonexistent. I'm stuck in a house ...not going outside...with no work to do but twiddling my thumbs waiting for proposals to work out.

IDK but what I do know is that some of this is attributed to cognitive distortions. Perhaps the inertia of perceived unemployment rattles me because I worked strategically and made a lot of maneuvers to get to this point... ($15 an hr...to $55k salary...$65k salary...$90k...$93k over the span of 3 years or so). I do a lot of catastrophizing I think (All I have worked for is gone and I'll never get a job again because its all automated!).

giskard

Post by giskard »

Lemur wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:53 pm
Spouse objected to any ideas of me taking a year off lol. No amount of numbers and graphs helped. I can't blame her...we've such great momentum right now. I need to 'snap out of it' whatever this funk I'm in.
That's bummer but also, prob a good idea to keep on the train - you are really on a roll right now! Nice work on the trading gains.

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

KILLER progress.

Think about it, between DW and your job income, and investment returns, how long will it take to double your current net worth, twice? Do that and you're at $1.4M!

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

About time....finally got a W after nearly 2 months of L's. Getting on-boarded to my next contract :) This one has 4 years left on it. If all goes to plan, I should be 25x+ expenses by that time too...

Telework likely for the remainder of the year. I'm excited actually. Sure once I get back into a rhythm, I'll start dreading being locked into the laptop for 8-10 hours a day...but I'm mostly happy I can keep the momentum going with the net-worth increases.

Investments - Still successfully wheeling PLTR options. I'm up on AMD PMCC strategy. Slightly down on Visa. Feeling some FOMO still with the EV / SPAC booms....started debating today if I should just sell all my WMT stock so I can start some plays. Then I decided not to do that because whatever I'm doing right now is working so...lets not mess up a good thing. But Black Berry is tempting though... My next after-tax savings for the next few months will be dedicated to maxing out my tIRA which is all index funds and also where I'm holding my AMD Long Call.

We finished moving to the new place (My sisters home where we're occupying the basement). Its a very quiet place in the suburbs ....almost too quiet. Pros of basement living is our room has no window which is great for me; no light makes it easier to sleep. There is a dehumidifier that has to run all the time though due to moisture in the air and previous mold that had to be eradicated before our move in. This should help prevent that again? Another pro is that there is almost zero temptation to drive out anywhere for frivolous purchases....we're just so far from everything. 12+ miles. Driving will have to be used strategically now - if we're not home, use trip for multiple purposes. The big con is being so far from the USPS / UPS; this created an annoyance for my Spouse and increased transportation costs for her business.

As long as I'm teleworking we will remain in this location.