Seppia's journal

Where are you and where are you going?
Jason

Re: Seppia's journal

Post by Jason » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:51 pm

At the end, when they were in Japan, worried that they were going to walk into empty stadium and the realized it was packed, oh, man. What a scene. There's a fine line between persistence and stupidity.

Seppia

Post by Seppia » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:51 pm

I cried to be honest.

Talking about Heavy Metal, I just did a very un-ERE thing and booked two premium tickets for the upcoming italian Metallica date in May in Milan for the wife and I.
Can't wait.

Jason

Post by Jason » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:21 pm

Well, you seem to like metal music more than me. The only movie that makes me cry is "My Cousin Vinnie." Every time he wins the case, I started blubbering like a baby.

Bankai

Post by Bankai » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:24 pm

Seppia wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:51 pm
Milan
If you wander around Duomo while there, make sure to try some panzerotti from Luini on Via Santa Radegonda. They rock!

Seppia

Post by Seppia » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:20 am

Luini is great! If you're in the area next time try also Focacceria San Francesco, a phenomenal (and moderately priced) sicialian restaurant

slowtraveler

Post by slowtraveler » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:44 am

Thanks for all the updates on your worldly travel, it sounds like you had an amazing trip. It gets exhausting but it's inspiring to see you living life to the fullest and even doing something you love in the process.

Dunkelheit

Post by Dunkelheit » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:05 am

Seppia wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:51 pm
Talking about Heavy Metal, I just did a very un-ERE thing and booked two premium tickets for the upcoming italian Metallica date in May in Milan for the wife and I.
Can't wait.
Best ROI ever. I remember myself crying while listening to Fade to Black. Enjoy it, fuckin' enjoy it! ;)

Seppia

Post by Seppia » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:44 am

Integration at the new job is going well, I'm still in honeymoon mode despite all the small challenges.
Part of my satisfaction comes from the workplace being pretty awesome overall, and the fact that I am absolutely loving Asia.
Last business trip at the beginning of the month was in australia and NZ (didn't have any time for myself), but then I moved to Indonesia and I planned it in a way so I could spend the weekend in Bali doing some scuba diving.
It was lovely.
I've been back in italy for about 10 days and on Saturday I'm leaving again, this time for Seoul and then Tokyo, where I will be joined by my wife.
During the week it's going to be I work - she visits Tokyo, but during the weekend we get to be tourists together. First weekend the hotel is paid for by the company, while the second weekend we will travel to Kyoto on our dime, but the Hotel will be paid for by some points I had.
I love my line of work.

In other news, I have now lost 6kg since I started paying attention, another 4 and I'm in decent shape, then another 3 and I'm happy. Almost halfway through.
It sure helps going from selling cookies and cakes to selling coffee :)

Savings rate this month should be again fairly shitty (30% or so) because of one off purchases for the apartment we bought.
I'm trying to be as frugal as possible but we do need a bed, a mattress and a couple closets, and nobody I know had any spare ones.
We got a table from my parents that they weren't using, some chairs from my sister and most of the cutlery/pans/dishes etc we got by simply splitting in half what we already had (of course we had too much stuff...)

Anything else (sofa, other furniture, other equipment/utensils) we will wait so that they will be either sourced for free or the purchase will be put off till at least 2019.

Financially, 2018 will set an important milestone: net dividends from my investments should amount to approximately the same of my first full time contract from back in 2004.
I will officially have young myself slaving for me, technically enough to survive decently for our family of 2.
Hard not to get excited by that.

Frugalchicos

Post by Frugalchicos » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:03 pm

"I will officially have young myself slaving for me, technically enough to survive decently for our family of 2.
Hard not to get excited by that"

Congrats buddy!! good job and wish the best for the rest of 2018

Dunkelheit

Post by Dunkelheit » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:07 am

It's great to read you again and see that everything goes well in your life+body, as well as in the new job. Those work-leisure trips make you seem semi-EREd, and having your wife by your side is another extra point. Don't you feel sometimes stressed by accumulating so many kilometres around the globe? I would live in a perpetual jet-lag.

Congrats for the huge financial milestone, now you can survive as your x-14 years old :P ...when are you planning to retire?

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:30 am

Very nice update, Seppia.

Bali is on our list for 2020. While I'm PADI Advanced OW certified, it's been a dream of my SO to learn to dive.

We've found a dive school in southern Thai Islands from a youtube channel we follow, but considering looking at Bali if the prices are comparable.

Do you know where the diving would be better? Here is the school they used https://www.coralgranddivers.com/ I've found similar prices in Bali ($300-330 USD for PADI OW)

ETA: Wanted to share the channel, if you go back to some of his first videos, he has a cool time lapse video of building the van he livid in while going to school, before moving to SE Asia.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsHwZF ... oOndV2q6bA

Seppia

Post by Seppia » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:14 pm

Thanks a lot chicos :)

@Dunkelheit: yes jet lag is kinda hard but you sort of get used to it. I'm 38 and for some weird reason I seem to adjust faster than when I was younger.
Probably part of it is experience (knowing what to do), but keep in mind I'm also traveling for business, so while the schedule is tough, the standards are high: I fly business class, sleep in nice hotels, etc.
this definitely helps

Regarding plans for retirement, I don't have "a number" or "a date".
I currently like what I do, and I have almost reache my first milestone: getting to a level of financial wealth where I could survive without working.
This is my step one.
Step two will be reaching a level where my desired lifestyle can be sustained without work.
I'm not sure if I will leave work at that point, I know I will have the option and god knows what I will do then.

To me, money is always been more about the freedom to do things rather than actually doing things.

Seppia

Post by Seppia » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:21 pm

2Birds1Stone wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:30 am
Do you know where the diving would be better? Here is the school they used https://www.coralgranddivers.com/ I've found similar prices in Bali ($300-330 USD for PADI OW)
Thanks for the kind words :)

If you go to Bali, I'd definitely contact Simon and Stuart from Manta Manta diving.
Below the review I left them on TripAdvisor that says it all.
The guys are great and reasonably priced.
They bring you everywhere in Bali and what I like is that wile being very well organized, they only take out small groups. It makes the experience 100x more enjoyable.
They say the best dives are in Tulamben (northern part of Bali island, about three hours drive from the city), and I can definitely attest they were awesome.
Certainly among the top 10 dives I've done in my life.
The northern side of Nusa Penida island is cool also.

If you decide to go there hit me up, I have local contacts as my job leads me to know many people in ospitality. PM me any time