What I Spend

Where are you and where are you going?
Scott 2

Re: What I Spend

Post by Scott 2 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:23 pm

Groceries, eating out and shopping are tracking to projections. A couple behavioral items to note:

1. I put off grocery shopping for too long, then ended up dropping $20 on a dinner of pizza and a giant $10 ice cream cone. Whoops.

2. My last trip to the grocery store, I found myself trading items out of my basket to afford others. I replaced mixed nuts with peanuts to afford raisins. I replaced grapes with a pineapple to afford 5lbs of potatoes and a bag of peas. I'm torn on whether this is learning new behavior or self inflicted punishment. I ended up bringing home more food than I finished in the week.

3. Because of 1 and 2 above, I'm contemplating upping the weekly budget to $40.

4. Due to a work event, I ate out every meal for a little over a day. Buffet style, high quality, unlimited. I indulged. I also woke up sick in the middle of the night and felt terrible the following day. A lesson in there.

5. Once or twice a week, I like to have a 2 ounce glass of whiskey. My typical bottle is bourbon in the $25-$35 range, or Scotch in the $40-$60 range. I've gone up to $100 for a bottle of Scotch - it does get better, but I don't like to pay for it.

This week I decide to try a $14 bottle of Evan Williams bourbon. I'm open to the idea that it's all just marketing, and I won't know the difference. That was not the case. It's drinkable, but with harsh undertones, definitely not the overall experience I am seeking. I might look a little harder for something inexpensive I enjoy, but this may be an area to splurge.

6. I'm attempting to scratch the yoga itch with a $7 per month live streaming service. I've listened to the teacher's weekly podcast for the past two years, so I'm also happy to kick a little money his way.