What I Spend

Where are you and where are you going?
Scott 2

Re: What I Spend

Post by Scott 2 »

I may have spoke too soon on work. As of today, my boss is gone. Ugh.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

The fitbit is great. The metrics on sleep, heart rate and activity are exactly what I was looking for.

Work stress is up. Lots of uncertainty and increased responsibility. Spending is up. Pay is not. I am doing my best to patient and accommodating.

Membership at the fancy gym is worth the price. I didn't want that to be true, but there it is. The pools are getting used - we've been swimming 1-2x a week. I just resumed weekend mornings lifting at the gym, instead of at home, where motivation was waning. Getting out of the house and doing some actual cardio help justify the expense. I cannot believe I am satisfied paying $80/month for a gym membership.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

February 2018 Total - $1520 of $1400 budget

Good – This was not a great month financially. At least I can afford it.

Bad – Food costs high. Work changes may keep them there. Vet care is expensive.

Next Month - $1300 target.

The departure of my boss created a lot of uncertainty in my work life. I loosened food spending to both save time and provide mental release. Both cats had vet visits; the old one has a condition that changed, meaning more expensive care.

My non-monetary priorities are stabilizing sleep and exercise. The Fitbit and gym membership are helping. Work life will be interesting in March. We have our second biggest project ever going live, and I have applied to replace my boss. I expect work instability to keep food spending high.

I still need to do my taxes. I’m sure I’ll owe.

Food - $493 of $340 budget

Good – I ate great. Other than eating out, I kept my shopping at Aldi.

Bad – I spent $131 eating out - the bulk of my overage. I have resumed eating out when I travel for work, so I do not think it will come back down.

Next Month – $480 target. I plan four $90 shops and $120 eating out. I am getting ridiculous things at times. Coconut water after I workout, every “salt fee” spice variety at Aldi, etc. It is a fun and easy mental release.

Help - $295 of $180 budget

Good – My insurance covered the preventative blood work that I counted as $120 last month. I guessed the plumber right within $5.

Rather than insist the housekeeper visit on my easiest day, I accommodated her schedule. Lucky her – cleaning on her day off, instead of after a 10 hour day at the factory. More evidence of the US wealth inequity. I try not to be a dick about it.

Bad – Pets needs vet care. My older cat has a chronic condition that is changing. No treatment that adds to her quality of life is too costly. The most expensive treatments usually aren’t for the cat’s benefit, but other care could add up. $275 in vet bills this month.

Next Month – $100 target. Handyman.

Shopping - $62 of $200 budget

Good – I was too busy to shop. My wife found a cheap solution for the blinds. I played a video game I already had.

Bad – Weather canceled my event. Plans with friends fell apart. My hatred for shopping prevents pro-actively replacing aging appliances and caring for the house. I just don’t have the motivation. So I’m sitting on cash instead of using it to improve my life.

Next Month – $50 target. Gas. Maybe a new video game. I already picked it out, but need to finish the current one.

Recurring Expenses - $679 of $679 budget

Good – Stable, as planned.

Bad – N/A

Next Month – $679 Target.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

This morning I adjusted my cash holdings to get an extra $700 over the next year. Not a bad hourly rate.

I've given up on spending the extra cash. I hate shopping. Belief that "value" is being offered in the exchange also stops me. My wife had to persuade me to buy a $6 cup yesterday. I had thoughts like - "That's plastic. Cheaper online. We already have cups." Yet $6 is nothing.

I stopped post-tax dollar cost averaging into the target retirement fund. I will gamble on building my cash position until the crash comes. The journal conversation between Jacob and Generation-X threw me over the edge. I have about 12% of investible assets in cash right now. If the market remains steady, that will grow a few percent over the next year. Here's to hoping I can buy at the right time.

Pre-tax, I am still dollar cost averaging into a mutual fund, that manages to a volatility target. My 401k waives the management fee for reasons. The underlying holdings are low fee index funds. I also have substantial target retirement fund holdings, which I am not changing at this time. So indexing remains the bulk of my investment strategy.

Taxes were a bummer. 2017 was my household's highest earning year so far, and my with holding was 3% too low. Better to have the money for awhile, but not fun to write the check.

My interest in tracking spending and summarizing at month's end is waning. I'm on vacation this week, so I'll probably do March. I'm not sure about continuing forward. The few hundred per month never mattered much, and my need for control is now being met in other ways.

Work was a wild ride. We delivered our big project. A promotion might happen. My home life suffered - sleep, exercise and family time. I always say this, but I expect more balance in April. I might table the video games for awhile.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Took a rough look at spending for March. I'm at $560 for food, $220 of which is eating out. I expect another $20 meal out this week, might top off groceries as well. The high numbers are a direct result of being over extended at work.

I end up busy, so I order delivery or don't pack food for travel. Tired and pressed for time, when I am at the store, I impulse buy (hello 14 yr. scotch) and lean on convenience foods. The cost is absurd, but there's no real financial constraint, and my will power is drained.

Very little spending in other categories. Lack of time stops me from shopping or hiring help.

Since my behavior is no longer influenced by the tracking, I am cutting it. I also put the video games away for awhile. I am re-prioritizing physical care - lifting, yoga, sleep. I expect that will cascade into less food spending. It's hard to have pizza and beer for dinner, then do evening yoga or lift the next morning.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Felt like bumping this thread.

For the most part my spending remains in a holding pattern. Luxuries haven't really changed, though I am giving Aldi via Instacart a try. A roughly 20-25% premium on store prices is much easier to swallow than the crazy multipliers from Peapod. I'll pay that to remove BS from life.

Similar, work requires me to do some day trips that leave the house at 6:30 and return at 9. I've been picking up a hotel for a lot of these, just so I don't have a 15 hour day and can travel off peak. It's more about avoiding getting sick than anything. I also eat out all meals when I do this, again to minimize the BS in my life.

Applying for my boss's job didn't work out. I wasn't willing to take on additional travel and that was a deal breaker. New boss is ok, but the problems facing old boss still persist. I have been promised a different promotion, which would still position me to help resolve some of those problems, but I'll believe that when it happens. We have growing pains and are floundering.

I think with some work and a lot of personal discomfort, I could change employers and be earning 50% more in the next year. I am in IT and have been with the same employer for 8 years. Real smart, great degree, etc. My pay has not kept pace with the insane numbers I see others getting online. I am in a 2nd tier market, but working remote for an employer based in a 3rd tier market. That does not help.

My cab driver has a son who just started an internship at $28/hr. He expects the son to be earning $150-200k per year just a few years out of school. Maybe that is a sign the bottom is about to fall out of the job market :)

More money would not change my lifestyle at all. A new job certainly would. Outside of money, the upside could be faster change, working with and learning from new talent. Maybe less travel. Hiring at my current employer hasn't gone very well, which reinforces my thought that I am leaving money on the table.

However, I am currently in a _very_ comfortable, locally optimized, position in terms of hours, perks, work from home, reputation, relationships, etc. I both earn and have more money than I ever have in my life, so I feel wealthy.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Looks like the promised promotion might be happening in the next month. Cautiously optimistic.

I low key confirmed $150k/yr is viable with a friend of mine who hires people like me. At his company, a position like that is more work than I'm interested in. They are in the 2nd tier market I live in. However, they are not in a high margin industry and do not have wealthy customers.

I cleaned out my basement. It is no longer worth my time to sell things used, unless value exceeds $100. My optimal path is to gift or donate two car loads worth of stuff. The person who got me here struggles with this change. I posted a rare video game for $30. My treasures...

prognastat

Post by prognastat »

Scott 2 wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:39 pm
Looks like the promised promotion might be happening in the next month. Cautiously optimistic.

I low key confirmed $150k/yr is viable with a friend of mine who hires people like me. At his company, a position like that is more work than I'm interested in. They are in the 2nd tier market I live in. However, they are not in a high margin industry and do not have wealthy customers.

I cleaned out my basement. It is no longer worth my time to sell things used, unless value exceeds $100. My optimal path is to gift or donate two car loads worth of stuff. The person who got me here struggles with this change. I posted a rare video game for $30. My treasures...
Congrats/good luck. Hope you get it.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Thanks, I ended up writing the job description for what should be a promotion. I have applied and expect it to happen in the next couple of weeks. I am skeptical that it will come with a significant pay increase, rather I expect a promise for money at end of year reviews. It'd be a good transition for new skill development though.

My spending remains chaotic and excessive. Anything to make working easier and buy back time. Aldi via instacart is a definite win. I have been dropping $70-100 a week on eating out when I travel for work. It seems unlikely I am going to reign that in, as long as the travel is required. Door dash while working from home is a mixed bag. It definitely buys back time at a reasonable price, but eating out more than a couple times a week is bad for my health.

I'll be re-evaluating work for 2019 at the end of the year. I have "enough" to get by, but more only helps. I need to see what happens with the new position. My current work experience is sub-par, but I expect a lot to change.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Got the promotion, with zero raise. It bugs me more than I expected. I've objected strongly. If something doesn't change by the end of the year, I have an exit plan.

Along those lines, I haven't done instacart in about 6 weeks. I will resume packing food for work travel next week. I've dramatically reduced eating out, both frequency and cost.

Pulling back on the luxuries has been easier than I expected. I'm naturally cheap.

In an effort to find some patience, I've reprioritized lifting. It had become a casual affair due to competition from work.

I tested this weekend and am about 20% below the maxes I hit when working with the strongman. I am going to do a focused 6 week cycle, then retest early November.

Focus means eating 5 meals a day with at least 30 grams of protein, lifting on a program 4 days a week. I'll track lifting in the jefit app, food in the my fitness pal app.

I'm using projected maxes off 3 rep sets or lower. I avoid intentionally taking one rep maxes. Baseline lifts:

Trap Bar Deadlift - 289
Safety Squat - 192
Multi-grip Bench - 165
Standing Barbell Press - 126

Specialty bar heavy, but those are the lifts my joints like.

I think an increase of 10% by early November is highly doable.

Lots of vacation time in November and December will let me coast through to the end of the year. I just need to remain patient and see what happens.

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

Oh man, you make me want to pick up powerlifting again, just for fun.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Lifting for a goal is the best. You should do it :)

Getting my food sorted out was a pain. I'd been doing two large, low protein meals a day. I had to make a special trip to the store to have enough high protein items. Packing food for my 2 day work trip took more than an hour. Stopping to eat often kind of sucks. However, my energy is already way up. The work trip took much less out of me. I know my body does better on this meal plan.

I mapped out cycle weights for the +10% goal, using 5x5 at 80% of 1RM for my core exercises. 80% is a little high for 5x5, but I am coming off aimless training with no peak and weak nutrition. Test days will be on 11/10 and 11/11, dictated by a work event that makes the following week especially busy. I'll rest during, then re-evaluate.

My core progression for each exercise is below. If I hit these numbers, I'll get the maxes I want. I tend to quit when a set gets hard, so it is important I use predetermined weekly goals. Similarly, I have some speed work in each session. I'll track velocity on those exercises, hitting 0.6 - 0.8 m/s.

Trap Dead
Current Max 289
Week 1 5x5 230
Week 2 5x5 235
Week 3 5x5 240
Week 4 5x5 245
Week 5 5x5 245
Week 6 5x5 250
Week 7 5x5 255
Goal Max 318

Safety Squat
Current Max 192
Week 1 5x5 155
Week 2 5x5 155
Week 3 5x5 160
Week 4 5x5 160
Week 5 5x5 165
Week 6 5x5 165
Week 7 5x5 170
Goal Max 211

Multi-grip Bench
Current Max 165
Week 1 5x5 130
Week 2 5x5 135
Week 3 5x5 135
Week 4 5x5 140
Week 5 5x5 140
Week 6 5x5 145
Week 7 5x5 145
Goal Max 182

Barbell Press
Current Max 126
Week 1 5x5 100
Week 2 5x5 100
Week 3 5x5 105
Week 4 5x5 105
Week 5 5x5 110
Week 6 5x5 110
Week 7 5x5 110
Goal Max 139

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

I started yesterday. Got some baseline test lifts in. 250 lb squat, 315 lb dead, and 235 lb paused bench.....800lb total @ 201 lbs body weight.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

@2Birds1Stone - An 800lb total is a great starting point.

I realized today that my % projections for the safety squat and barbell press weren't so useful, as they are not the training exercises I selected. I am posterior chain dominant, so my squat variation is a front squat with the safety squat bar. I worked up to a conservative 5 rep max and used it to set cycle weights:

Safety Front Squat
Current Max 154
Week 1 5x5 125
Week 2 5x5 125
Week 3 5x5 125
Week 4 5x5 130
Week 5 5x5 130
Week 6 5x5 135
Week 7 5x5 135
Goal Max 169

One of the things I learned from working with the Strongman, is to train exercises I am bad at. This certainly fits the bill. I'll do similar with an overhead press using my trap bar tomorrow, though there I am trying to avoid shoulder impingement as well.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

On the work front, my boss indicates the only way he can sell a raise for my promotion, is data from public job posting and salary surveys. I unfortunately am out of the loop on that front. I haven't looked for a job in 10 years. I have coasted along the generalist route, specializing on whatever our growing small (now medium) business needs today. Comfort has kept me complacent.

I am doing well by his standard, but I believe the salary survey and job posting data does not reflect the true market rate for someone like me. There have been several times where we break some of my duties off, and what I was doing in 10 hours a week becomes a full time job for someone. Even though they are specialized full time professionals, I do not observe more work being done, or being done better.

I think there is another job market tier, where top professionals make each other better and trade positions via networking. I don't think those candidates make it to salary surveys. I don't think their positions pass through the large recruiter or public job board grind. My employer has been going the recruiter route as they've grown, and I've observed a dilution of talent.

I have not decided what to do about this. I either play their game, find a new game, or opt out entirely.

Things I think I know are:

1. Compensation strategy is set by a team of people above my boss. Even if I got an immediate term raise through a competing offer or trying to leave, the company pays what they pay. It's a losing battle to make that trajectory different.

2. There's a good chance just doing my job would net a moderate raise at year end, against a salary that is already comfortable. I earn more than I ever have in my life, live on a small percentage, make more than my parents, etc. The position is secure, easy and would readily survive the next market down turn.

3. Pivoting my career to tap into the networked job market would require a lot of immediate and medium term discomfort. Some might call that personal growth.

4. That pivot could be worth a few 10's of thousands in additional compensation now, and open a trajectory that is worth $100k+ a year longer term. But again, operating at that level also means sustained discomfort. Taxes and social posturing also make those big numbers much smaller than they seem.

5. I have a potential exit strategy that has me FIRE'd in mid-may of next year. Concerns over healthcare and high market valuations make it a little brittle, but I am conservative by nature. It's probably more than enough.

6. Company growth at the current position keeps adding annoying overhead and bureaucracy to my work. There are also times I have to work on things I believe add zero or negative value to society as a whole.

7. I like to win. I have a habit of fixating on arbitrary criteria as the measure of victory. It is likely the nonsense around my promotion has caused this to happen with salary, reducing it to a high score proving ground.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Got numbers for a trap bar overhead press today. The 5RM I am using to project this was pretty hard, I might have to back off the sets by 5lbs if I get stuck:

Trap Bar Press
Current Max 128
Week 1 5x5 100
Week 2 5x5 105
Week 3 5x5 105
Week 4 5x5 110
Week 5 5x5 110
Week 6 5x5 110
Week 7 5x5 115
Goal Max 141

My velocity tracker won't hold a charge. I've emailed support.

I started researching IT salaries. On the West coast, it seems possible recent grads are pulling down 200k total comp, with experienced developers getting 300-400k. I am not willing to move there, and have not figured out how transferable the salaries are to other areas of the US. Remote work with some travel might be viable.

I coasted through a BS in computer science from a decent school, about 15 years ago. Earning A's in my major classes was straight forward, including masters level courses on AI and algorithms. I think I have the ability that is demand, but my skills are dated.

I opted not to code for a living because the tooling constantly. shifts. I spent most of my career leading technical projects - ba, pm and release management. I could certainly retool, but I also wonder if a decent percentage of those west coast numbers could be available for my current skill set.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

I spent the evening getting a better read on the job market. I don't have the motivation for a search or a new position. There's not any tech I'm passionate about, I'm not hungry for money, and I have zero appetite for all the posturing.

I want to spend career time solving problems and playing with toys, not using fancy clothes and big words to pretend I'm important.

I guess that narrows my options to the exit strategy or finding a more satisfying way to play the current company's game.

I'm well over the minimum work week. I tend to get caught up in what I am doing and like to help anytime someone presents me with a problem.

Step 1 is to reign that in. I'm going to start by assertively handing off work that was from the old position, minimizing involvement in problems that don't fall under my new job description.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

I worked my contracted day the rest of this week. It feels weird to stop working an hour or two earlier.

I took a last minute half day and talked through strategy with my wife, among some other fun. She's a strong supporter of the do less, be less approach, over quitting.

She also fully expects me to just decide I'm done one day. It would not be out of character for me. Making "be less" work is the far more lucrative option.

My first full week of the lifting cycle is done. By far, the hardest was my 5x5 deadlifts. That was still fun. I'll try to tough out the planned increases. My bench day felt pretty light. I have an unreliable shoulder, so I'm just going to work the plan and see what happens.

Out of gym has been tough. Getting meals in sucks. It makes me feel great, but it is tedious. I just ordered 20lbs of whey isolate, to keep the twice a day shakes going. It works out to about fifty cents a 25g serving, which is cheaper than any other high quality protein I get.

My sleep is a mess. I'm letting myself down here and need to figure it out.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Last week my deadlifts were really tough. I barely made the reps. I was concerned about hitting my weight progression over the course of my cycle.

This week (Tuesday is deadlift day), I was able to hit all my sets, with the added 5lbs dictated by my plan. I was also able to "ring" every rep of my last set, pulling hard enough that the change plates bang in to the bar at lockout. It was still very hard, but that is clear progress.

I have been putting in the recovery time. I did yoga on Saturday. I hit the fancy gym on Sunday, so I could do a couple rounds of hot / cold - sauna to cold pool to hot tub to cold pool, etc. I have been getting my meals in. I slept for 8 hours on Saturday night.

It turns out working my contracted day makes falling asleep much easier. I ended up taking a nap Monday evening, just because I felt tired. I've been wired for months after work, fighting to get into bed by midnight or 1am. Nodding off for 90 minutes, at 7pm is fantastic. I got my fitbit back out and am using it to collect sleep data.

These recovery patterns are really good for me and my lifting. I need to defend them. Today I slipped a little, helping at least 3 different people with things that are not in my job description. I got the time from work that is in my job description, but that doesn't benefit me a whole lot. I need to let go of being people's friends. From prior experience, odds are the last day I am at the company, is the last day I ever talk to them. I need to consider that when taking from my home life to do work I am not being compensated for.

My wife and I have been talking about the times I successfully hand work over to others or direct them to another person for their answers. Those are my small victories to cherish.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

This week I added 6 more pounds to my deadlift - 5x5@242 and got all the reps. I was only ringing the first 3 on each set, so the weight is getting harder. It feels like my grip is going. I am going to try straps on the last set of next week's 5x5. I also took a walk before to warm up. I need to keep that going. The rest of my sessions have been highly doable.

Eating remains the hardest part. I only lift 4x a week. Eating is 5x a day. There are a lot of times I'm choking down a protein drink, apple and peanut butter. It is working, and discomfort is why the cycle has an end date.

Sleep has been up and down. Last night I logged almost 8 hours asleep, which is close to 9.5 in bed. I've had others where I get 5-6, especially around work travel. I just put my video game away for a little bit, in hopes of improving.

This lifting cycle is also a coping strategy, to get my work life and spending going better. Notable events there:

1. I cancelled a weekend trip to the city that was going to cost $500. My wife and I would have split it, but we are both happier with the simpler weekend and cost savings. It was originally scheduled when I was trying to buy happiness from working so hard.

2. Eating out is way down, limited to events with family / friends. Once or twice a month.

3. I did end up going to a bar with the other managers for team building. I regretted it. I ended up out too late, spent an extra $20, ate crappy, disrupted my sleep, etc. And there are some pissed off people who used the time to unload their negativity. No thanks. I am going to decline these events in the future. I had adopted a habit of always saying yes, since relationships are how we get ahead in life. Now that I'm not trying to get ahead at work, it's not worth it.

4. I am continuing to work only my contracted week, focusing on doing my job, instead of helping anyone I can. It is a lot easier. I am almost out of a recurring weekly meeting. I see some things languishing and am just watching to see what happens. I took all work communication (email, slack) off my phone. It all feels very weird, but it is making the job a lot better. Nobody seems upset so far. One person who has noticed, is glad I have stopped propping a couple lower performers up.