What I Spend

Where are you and where are you going?
jennypenny

Re: What I Spend

Post by jennypenny » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:25 am

If your resting heart rate on the fitbit is 60, you're good. In my experience, the fitbit rate is pretty close to the rate on my monitor when resting (although really off when exercising).

I've been surprised at how the timing of my meals affects my heart rate almost as much as the content of them. Overall, I've found heart rate monitoring to be surprisingly instructive.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:38 am

I enjoy having the HR data. It's also brought my attention to situations where I need to chill out or leave. I was flying the other day and consistently in the high 90s, just sitting in the plane. The combination of people and noise had me on high alert.

Changing my environment seems to work a lot better than trying to relax. I try to break up repeated interactions with groups, opt out of large crowds or loud places, do things at off peak times, etc. I have to think the reduced bouts of environment induced stress is beneficial, but it also means I am less resilient when routines are disrupted.

The doctor may have been a disruption. Part of me hopes that with a script for the annual physical, and preparing for it ahead of time, that I'll avoid triggering high alert.

I agree the Fitbit is near useless for exercise data. The only time it gives a consistent read is if I'm at a steady state on the elliptical.

The data I really want at a consumer level is continuous glucose monitoring. I try to adopt behaviors that limit highs and extreme lows, but it is all qualitative. I am sure having the objective metric available would trigger behavior changes. My a1c was fine last year, but I think managing blood sugar is one of the most valuable dietary habits we can adopt. I have considered doing a period finger stick checks, but have yet to follow through on it.

Dunkelheit

Post by Dunkelheit » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:40 am

Scott 2 wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:38 am
The data I really want at a consumer level is continuous glucose monitoring. I try to adopt behaviors that limit highs and extreme lows, but it is all qualitative. I am sure having the objective metric available would trigger behavior changes. My a1c was fine last year, but I think managing blood sugar is one of the most valuable dietary habits we can adopt. I have considered doing a period finger stick checks, but have yet to follow through on it.
More about CGM and the hiperimportance of glucose:

http://investorfieldguide.com/attia/ (the whole podcast worths it, but between minutes 40-45 he talks about the importance of glucose disposal)
https://peterattiamd.com/2016-update/ (see Update #6)

Regarding the heart rate, it happens something very similar to me. When resting it uses to be over 80 if I feel a bit anxious, while other days it is just around 60. The only remedy I know, tranquility.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:49 pm

The article inspired me to price out a Dexcom G6 - looks like around $900 to start, then $350 a month for sensors. Ouch.

Dunkelheit

Post by Dunkelheit » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:49 am

Scott 2 wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:49 pm
The article inspired me to price out a Dexcom G6 - looks like around $900 to start, then $350 a month for sensors. Ouch.
Ouch, ouch, a little bit pricey.

$350 a month perpetual using Jacob's formula buys you an additional pancreas to improve glucose disposal :roll:

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:48 pm

No lifting this week. I am recovering from the work event that I knew would interrupt my training.

The company grew a lot last year, made a bunch of money. So they "rewarded" us by taking all employees and their spouses to a resort. Fast growth has included headaches, so it's also a staff retention ploy. We've known about the trip since January.

I put "rewarded" in quotes, because this is exactly the type of fast travel that becomes extremely expensive. All inclusive, the 4 nights ended up at $3500. The resort was about $360 a night, plus air fare, food, activities, pet sitter, ubers, etc. The company covered 2/3, so it was a great deal for the price, but still expensive.

My wife really enjoyed the trip, and she's the primary reason we participated. We would never have an experience like this if not for my work. Days were of course very long, and sleep was limited. I hit my first 20,000 step day on Saturday. My body and wallet are drained, so hence the easy week. Fortunately I am off from work this week and have time to rest.

There are a couple hidden costs to the travel:

1. I find switching between eating out and eating home food difficult. Since returning, I've missed a lot of meals. After 5 days of eating out whenever I want, cooking feels so laborious and unrewarding. This does not help my recovery to normal.

2. Disrupting my routine makes me impulsive. Especially when that disruption centers on travel and work, which both stress me out. Compounding this, my normal coping strategy of lifting isn't an option (I'll over-extend myself into getting sick). As a result, I've been heavily shopping the Black Friday sales, for gym equipment. Everything I bought, I wanted for at least a year, but I burned through about $1400.

The reality is, financially, all this does is slow my savings rate for the month. I won't feel any of it. But it is definitely a week of "high earner" lifestyle, and not the long term pattern I aspire to. At least the gym toys, I keep. They'll outlast me.

Finishing out the work year will be pretty easy. I'm full time the first 3 weeks of December, then have two more weeks off. I expect to be on normal patterns by the end of this week. I might pick up a video game I'm waiting for a good price on, but otherwise the unusual spending is done.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:32 pm

Spending is mostly reigned in. I did pick up a $25 video game and a buy it for life $30 ice cream scoop. No more bending my spoons. I ate out once, but it was taco bell. I haven't been grocery shopping since the Monday before Thanksgiving.

Lifting is getting back on track. I hit every session since Saturday. I did tweak my "bad" knee, forcing me to push out and modify my mid-week lower session. I am finding next to zero motivation for the improved cardio goal. This means my food is still lazy. I had two meals today. It's just so easy to get caught up in something and ignore eating.

I am lacking the work dissatisfaction that drives my need to train hard and create a source of control in my life. Not a bad thing at all, but it makes me think I'll need a more casual approach to lifting, through the remainder of the year. After the time off to reset, the work week is flying by.

Bonus and profit sharing are decided this month. I have a plan to address my biggest work issue once I return from vacation in January. It may result in some conflict, but puts control back in my court. The expected change is a huge contributor to my improved attitude.

One of my black friday purchases was a pair of gloves, because I lost one of mine in late February. It's nice to have gloves when outside temps are in the teens. I probably should have dealt with this problem sooner. I was being cheap and lazy, opposed to frugal.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:19 pm

Just two more weeks of work until two weeks off. I opted out of the holiday party, which ends up costing me about $200 to attend. Mostly it was to save my Friday evening and Saturday morning.

I redirected some tedious work to new hires. Half of it was suddenly no longer needed and the other half has not come back to me.

My boss proactively addressed a tough issue I raised to his attention. I was impressed and happy.

Receiving and setting up my new gym toys used up the time and energy I had to lift. I got in just one good training session, on Sunday night. I keep missing meals, which results in me moving much less.

Expenses for the week were on track. Biggest splurge was $35 to take my wife for lunch after a difficult morning. Got a $67 refund for something else though.

We're debating on cancelling the luxury gym until summer, when outdoor swim is available. The indoor pool will get a deciding try this weekend.

I'm growing out my beard. I've had trouble getting a decent, affordable haircut. I also hate both scheduling and going. Plan is to either shave my head or cut my own hair after the holidays. Hopefully the beard can offset any errors. My wife has been cutting her own hair for years, so I'll probably get her help.

I wasted two hours failing to use $15 in Kohl's cash. I finally gave up after I did the math and realized it was only going to net me $8 on a $50 spend. I am still learning to let go of old "frugal" behaviors where I valued my time at zero. I did at least nope out of a 45 minute plus customer service line, after realizing my mistake.

Bankai

Post by Bankai » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:14 am

Scott 2 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:19 pm
I am still learning to let go of old "frugal" behaviors where I valued my time at zero.
Yeah, this one is tough, especially when the sense of justice or 'being right' is also involved. For example, when I realised I've been given £1 less change than I should've, in the past I'd just run back to the store and argue. Nowadays, I just ignore it as I value £1 less than, say, 15 minutes of my time (5 min to get to store & back and another 5 arguing my case). Seems obvious, but only when you stop and think about it. Other bizarre things I used to do is going to 2 different grocery stores for my shopping as some items were slightly cheaper in one or another. And we are talking pennies and not pounds as these were Aldi & Lidl so I was maybe saving £1-£2 at the cost of extra 20-30 minutes. Or spending 20 hours researching new graphics card for my desktop and ending up buying one for £50 instead of buying the first one with decent reviews even if 20-30% more expensive.

Nowadays I try to apply both time & price filters at the same time. Also, delegating purchase research whenever possible. Another 'trick' is to write down criteria you're looking for when researching a purchase, then start looking from the cheapest options first and buy first than meets all your criteria.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:40 pm

Yes! The need to be right is especially problematic. I hate feeling like I've been taken advantage of, even when I can afford it. The behavior is completely irrational, but it so hard to stop.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:25 pm

We decide to put the gym on hold for 8 months of the year. That reduces annual spend per person, from $960 to $405. $100 a month is expensive, but swimming outdoors is one of my wife's favorite activities.

I got a $50 refund on one of my new home gym toys, due to a mismatch between what was delivered and what was advertised. There's a good chance this was another situation where I should have just let it go, but I did not.

I am still struggling with motivation to lift. I decided to take most of this week off and focus on fixing my sleep. My hope is once rested, the desire to train will naturally return. My patterns got all messed up with the trip to AZ and time off over Thanksgiving. Lots of nights with 4-6 hours of sleep. It isn't enough. The past two nights, I got very close to 8h. That required going upstairs to begin my bedtime rituals at 8pm. It's not fun, but feeling rested is pretty great.

My performance review was today. My boss had almost nothing to say about changes I've made, to stop doing other people's work. I was focusing on the wrong things, to my detriment. I plan to be much more specific when we set goals for 2019 and make sure I get credit for the work I do. I am hopeful the positive review is reflected in bonus, profit sharing and 2019 comp.