Douglas journal

Where are you and where are you going?
Douglas

Re: Douglas journal

Post by Douglas »

Another good month in net worth, not doing so well with monthly spending. I used to not count deductions from health spending account but now am counting withdrawals from health savings account. Monthly spending almost gets the complete picture, missing the $1000/month my employer pays for our health insurance. No matter how you dice it we spend a lot of money each month.

We're zeroing in on a used Nissan Frontier truck. If I'm lucky will only spend $22,500 or so. I have a little over a year to close on this so will probably look more aggressively later in the year.

I got my performance review this past week and found out I earned a promotion. Finally! Things are going well at the job and it is nice to be recognized. Looking forward to downshifting and not work so much but now is not the time.

I've got my eye on off road bicycles, trying to see if I can get a fat bike and MTB in the same frame. Not going to make the purchase though until I secure the French citizenship.

Aspirant

Post by Aspirant »

It is nice to get another family journal...

You have been doing super nicely considering your spending level. But stay strong with the truck. I had an urge to buy a nicer car but I managed to stave that off for at least till next spring. The symtoms of car madness usually start to manifest when the sun shines in late winter :) Seriously though, I think I am going to have to upgrade the car once before we can transition to full-electric.

Douglas

Post by Douglas »

@Aspirant, yeah there are not too many of us family folk on here. Kids and ERE are like oil and water but I guess there are some people making it work out there. One day If we could get our family to MMM level of spending I would be super thrilled, we're pretty far away from that still.

Saving still tracking well. I want to get spending average well under $5000, probably need to give it another deep dive and try to get a step down function going in spending.
Would like to start itemizing where the money adding to net worth is coming from (e.g. salary/bonus, dividends, stock movements, etc.). Its hard to believe we are adding $20,000 / month to net worth and if I had to guess $5000 is just from a good market. We're approaching $300,000 invested, and normally if you have more money you make more money. Maybe the trend will never stop.... I'm actually rooting for a market downturn while we are still salary people but I don't see that happening again for another couple years, stimulus and low rates and all.

In other news and ideas....

I want to do more trail running so will invest in a pair of trail running shoes. Want to start volunteering to maintain trails around the area.

Getting into mountaineering and planning to get my first summit in 2022, maybe starting the year after will get into more technical assents. I have a buddy who is experienced and is already helping with the learning curve.

At some point we want to move the family to Bend, OR and play in the mountains for a couple years. yeah that sounds like fun

Douglas

Post by Douglas »

Finally did our taxes and found out we owed $8000 total federal and state. The past few years I've been owing taxes but this one was an eye popper! Got charged like $75 in interest. I guess I'll finally increase the amount removed from each paycheck.

In other news I am dropping the big push for French citizenship. I'm still picking up the language but not at a pace to be intermediate any time soon. Might try and combine the citizenship push with an extended stay in France or maybe wait until we move there one day.

Instead will refocus on outdoor activities including triathlon, weights, MTB, mountaineering, and am trying to throw in a martial arts / self defense regimen in there. Not trying to be the best in the world at any of these, just trying to stay in shape and have some fun on a shoestring budget (lord willing)

here are a few pictures of our garden. this is our fourth summer at the community garden. Definitely a misfit of a garden

and now for last months numbers. the tax payments won't show up until next month and will just be counted as lost net worth. this was a low spending month for us, unfortunately the next couple months won't be the same mostly due to family visiting and other travel plus an overdue costco run

Douglas

Post by Douglas »

It's a little weird to think about it but sometimes a person's bad luck or experience can have a positive benefit to other people. In this case, in our neighborhood people are getting their cars stolen when parked on the street (maybe three cars in the past 6 weeks or so). Our neighbors truck was one of the stolen.

This set something off in my wife in a way that she no longer wanted to get a "nice" truck since it would end up parked on the street. So just like that we're now looking at $10,000-$15,000 dollar cars (think used Subaru) from previously looking at $25-$30,000 trucks. No going back.

Douglas

Post by Douglas »

Started trail running this past month. Why walk the trail when you can run it? In the past month ran 35 miles, biked 100 miles. Still trying to get a swim routine started before the triathlon in July but with Covid they are going to make me work for it. I swam for many years so not super worried but it is not ideal to not have any swimming time before a race no matter how short.

Set back up our home grown "FI chart". "Average spending no child care" is likely our monthly spending if one of us stopped working so might be a realistic number if that person was physically able to keep after the children. "4% invested assets" is maybe not the most accurate depiction of actual passive income but I bet it will be in the ballpark if we rebalanced our assets.

Once the house is paid off in the next few months the 4% invested assets slope will increase substantially. Very much looking forward to that day.

Douglas

Post by Douglas »

August update. Many things going on in life and I'll hit the highlights.

Participated in first triathlon, a sprint distance with a time of 1:30. My only objective was to finish the race and not be disqualified for whatever reason, so with expectations low I am pretty happy. Running is my strongest its just a lot easier to train for me. The pools are now open so need to get some routine going with that likely will involve early mornings. My bike has been broken for over a month now just need to order the new bottom bracket and front chainring set. I had a left crank arm that wouldn't stay on, turns out that style is in very short supply go figure. Needed to go straight to the square taper bottom bracket and chain ring set but foolishly tried to make the octalink work. Anyway borrowed a buddy's bike for the race and I never went faster before on a bike, nothing fancy just a cheap road bike. I think it was because during a race you don't have to stop for traffic or obey traffic laws, its tough to clock good times when you're starting and stopping a lot.

Paid off mortgage 8/2/2021. Mortgage was for $275,000 which was basically the price of our home 5 years ago. I think we can sell it now for $350,000 with just a little work to spruce it up. Overall we're really happy with our home so definitely a good investment so far. The agreement we have now is we will save for another 3-5 years then consider buying another house and probably selling this one. We'll have a better idea then what we want to do.

We went car camping for 8 days in San Juan Islands and Washington coast and it was awesome. It was awesome and we're really dialing down our car camping where its not a big hassle to just pack it up and go sleep in a tent outside. We're going to keep pushing the length more, probably can get up to 2 weeks at some point then try and go longer when the kids are older. I like to say tent camping is 5-10x cheaper than airbnb or hotel, we really reserve the airbnb stuff for a weekend or two out in the mountains in the winter or when family comes in.

My parents, nephew, and my sister's family of 4 came out to our house and we had a great vacation around Oregon going to the coast then Bend (airbnb). It's really nice to see family you don't see very often. At the end though with most people gone back home my mom decides to chastise me for being cheap and somehow not providing for my family. She thinks we need to get a bigger house right away and overall spend more money on things. The wife jumped in claiming that she was feeling deprived and now that she's a large earner in the family she can spend the money more how she wants to. they were tag teaming on me and it was not a fun couple days... I was calm at first but then had to more robustly make my point that we weren't going to change our course because my mom felt cramped when she visits our house. It didn't help that our home AC has been busted since we bought the house and when my family visited it got up to 110 F!

Anyway I loosened the purse strings a bit and got the AC fixed ($600), rearranged our main room and bought a couch ($500), and a cabinet organizer ($250). I also agreed to get a truck in the next 9 months or so ($30,000) so we can continue to rock the car camping for the foreseeable future. This all seemed to calm my wife down and I think its a small price to pay for her to be happy and keep working her nice but stressful job.

Here's the latest numbers. Our short term goal is to have the orange line cross the gray line. Once that happens we can decide if one of us wants to stop working while the other works. maybe we can trade a few years later. The blue line is when we should have enough saved up for health care and kids are in public school and we both could quit our jobs (if we wanted).

Western Red Cedar

Post by Western Red Cedar »

Congratulations on paying off the mortgage! That has to feel great. I'm also a big fan of camping on the San Juan Islands. They are like a hidden gem that most folks don't know about.

Douglas

Post by Douglas »

@Western Red Cedar ... feels great to pay off the mortgage! Mortgage was relatively small at $275,000 and we feel we got lucky with the place at the end of the day. Next time we go to SJI we will try Orca Island, seems to be very friendly to camping.

This past month marks when my swimming got kickstarted. I'm getting more regular open water swims and so far steady at 2x / week at the public lap pool. I will get a wet suit here soon and go swimming in the colder months and on the coast. very much looking forward to more cold open water swimming.

Working on my running form trying to address some long term nagging injuries. Started video recording my running and analyzing the form, I already see some corrections needed can't believe I didn't do it long ago.

The latest plan is to purchase a new Surly bicycle, either the Krampus or Karate Monkey depending on which one is available in my size. I'm ok waiting until next year when supply gets back to normal. It feels good finally deciding on a next bike I don't think I have room in my garage for any more!

We decided to eat out more starting the past month. Its no fun cooking all the time for your family when both adults have demanding full time jobs.

Spending wise this past month was probably our biggest yet. Some of it is accounting quirks (e.g. day care) and other health care related expenses that should be reimbursed sooner than later. No matter what we are spending a lot of money but at least we are cognizant of it and still have a solid plan. We've started the discussion of being tighter with our money lets see what happens. Right now we are investing in ourselves and our family and that seems a solid place to put money these days

Douglas

Post by Douglas »

Alright another "ok" month spending wise again below $4000. Just cut a check though for 2022 property taxes ($3200) so next month doesn't stand a chance to be a repeat decreased spending month. The inflation going on, ouch!, is enough to make me rethink spending and get back to my levels when I was in debt. We'll see how this plays out but I definitely need all the motivation and inspiration to keep spending levels down.

Last month I finally did another investable asset allocation breakdown and we can see the cash pile growing. The cash is all over the place even in my retirement account, and its going to keep coming. I've thought the stock market was frothy for 6 years now; might have been right but that doesn't mean anything if the market keeps climbing. Still shoveling money into index funds. Trying to look at individual stocks but it appears to be difficult for me to pull the trigger for any large sum of money. At this point I'm interested in more risky investments, maybe looking into some day trading. Even if I don't get the same returns as a vanguard ETF it may be more fulfilling to pick my own investments. Really dragging my feet on this, need to jump in and make investments. A bunch of cash sitting around isn't going to make a person wealthy.

asset allocation in American $ including retirement accounts and emergency fund

by invested assets here I am also counting the cash sitting around not making any money. This graph/calculation is due for an overhaul

Douglas

Post by Douglas »

Hey ERE forum, been a while since I've visited the site but I've been thinking of you all. So much has happened its worth an update, apologies this is more of a brain dump rather than a well thought-out post.

Getting right to the heart of the financials, since this is the ERE forum, our net worth is ~$800K with ~$400K in investible assets. Our townhome is paid off and no debt. We added a new member to our family and we are going to cap it at 4 (two children). The next milestone is $1M in investible assets I think we'll get there before 5 years baring some unforeseen event. At that point I would say we are FI lite, I'll probably work another 5 years or so from there to have more of a safety net for my family.

Right now our family is spending an incredible amount of money, more than we've ever had. Lifestyle inflation definitely happened to us, I think something clicked with me once the house was paid off and my wife got a good job. We bought a new truck and are investing in next level outdoor adventure gear including tent camping, kayaking, skiing, backpacking, etc. things that were on my wish list for years I have already pulled the trigger to get or will here soon (binoculars, new hiking backpack, new tent, sleeping bag, angle grinder, miter saw, skiis, poles, etc). I get a lot from REI garage sale but I also don't get a lot there. We try to buy quality products with the intention of keeping them a long time by repairing, etc, or resell if upgrading.

We traveled around Oregon the past month or so while my wife and I were on new baby leave. Gas prices were so high (almost $6 / gallon) that many people were staying home resulting in attractions big and small with much fewer people. Some first come first serve campgrounds were completely empty with many beautiful sites to choose from. No running water at campsites also tends to frighten off most folks. If higher gas prices means less people in the national forests and parks then I will gladly pay the premium :) To me this is a great use of extra savings.

We still do AirBnB type traveling but only when friends and family visit, so maybe 7 nights a year we are at an AirBnB. We've come to the conclusion AirBnB and similar sites are way too expensive though its much better to camp instead just need to be alright getting dirty. We just purchased a 4 season tent and soon a wood stove to go inside, basically a small relatively portable cabin haha. it should last 15 years if taken care of. I have dreams of snow camping ski adventures with friends and family.

Childcare services for our family here soon will be about $3K / month. This will taper down to $2K / month in a couple years, then maybe $1K/ month in 5 years until the kids are out of the house in 20 years (kids will always cost money and make it very difficult to lean FIRE). Overall I think its good the kids go to daycare they are learning from other adults and kids, socializing, learning manners, learning abc's, ...its great. After mulling it over for some time I think its worth the money. We intend to enroll our kids in USA public school but we'll see what happens.

We hired a financial advisor who also happens to be a good friend of mine and outdoor buddy. Its been nice having a trusted third party look thoroughly at our financial situation, work with our goals, and keep us up to date on optimizations (think taxes). My wife is also more involved in the family and her personal financials and my friend has spent reasonable time educating her. After an upfront fee we pay $200/month flat rate to retain his services; I told him we would probably stick with it for a year or two but we'll see if our assets grow it could be a good deal to keep it going.
Its interesting, our FA also kind of coaches my wife with her job / career in such a way so that she sticks with the early FI plan. I can and do talk to her about these strategies but for some reason it helps her to get a presumably un-biased third party opinion. My wife sometimes gets disillusioned with her job and at least for the moment this somehow helps to keep her going.

We fired the cleaning ladies after trying two services. It was fun for a while but in the end they weren't cleaning enough for the money we were paying them. I've taken on a new attitude to cleaning and organizing and its really something I'm putting time into now. The house is cleaner, more organized, and when you don't lose your stuff and instead take care of them you can acquire nice tools for increased learning, proficiency, and experience. I'm not super crazy about being organized just trying to put some effort into keeping up with organization. I have no other choice living in an 1170 sq ft single car garage home with a family of 4, things can quickly get out of control!

We're eating out much less these days. We still do Chipotle and other similar fast food places maybe twice a month. We're tired of paying a lot of money for mediocre food at many sit down places, or the good places have priced us out ($17 for a cheesburger??). We'll still go out to eat a few times a year with friends and family and pay the bill but other than that we won't be going out. We're trying to be more efficient in the kitchen whether at home, at airbnb, or camping: cook better meals, in shorter time, with fewer tools, with less clean up.

ok I think that is a reasonable update, going to spend some time now looking through the forums. Its nice to take a long break there will be a lot of new material

Douglas

Post by Douglas »

hey ERE forum, its been a long time but I still think about you guys. I liked posting and reading on this forum it really kept me going in the early days. We are not on the ERE path, that's been for a long time. I managed to live that way for a few years when I was still in grad school, unmarried, and no kids. Our path is looking more like save as much as we can while the gettin' is good, and go part time when the timing feels right.

Pre and post covid 2020 was like day and night for our jobs. Things became much more chill and doable after about a year of working from home. WFH really added some legs to the career in terms of longevity. Our careers are in relatively high demand in our area so it feels good that if bad stuff happens we can probably find another job if we needed to. Things are looking good in this regard.

We like to travel and explore. Its been fun dialing in our system, with kids we play in hard mode. We've got car camping down and have a nice setup to keep us going for weeks if we wanted. We bring bikes and wanting to slowly grow in to surfing sports, fun stuff to do while car camping. With the kids growing up next step is to get everybody backpack ready. a setup that would enable us to fly someplace and keep us from needing a car or hotel/airbnb most nights while we explore. Something like fly to Hawaii and sleep on the beach at a state park campsite instead of an airbnb. Go to Europe and have a bikepack/backpack adventure instead of hitting up the usual sight seeing spots. I would say this is where most of our extra spending money goes; basically trying to lead a better, healthier, more efficient, and more fun life outdoors.

Now back to the numbers since that is at least a part of this forum for me. We spend A LOT of money, too much for me to want to reveal on the forum. I've come to peace with this as it makes my wife happy and we're pulling in tons of cash still after all the spending. We have strategies and plans in place to reduce our spending if needed, for example if one of us loses a job or we decide to go part time. In terms of assets under management, we've decided to reach certain milestones and see how we feel. Our goals are $1,1.5,2 million AUM and after each one we'll reassess our priorities. I'm working on the very rough assumptions that if we were to spend $30k / year we need $750k AUM; spend $60k / year need $1.5M AUM; spend $90k / year need $2.25M AUM.

We've started using eMoney after working with a financial advisor, here is a screen shot of our latest numbers. I looked back at my first post where I predicted we would have $1M net worth in 2032. I'm glad I was wrong!