Douglas journal

Where are you and where are you going?
2Birds1Stone

Re: Douglas journal

Post by 2Birds1Stone » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:23 pm

Hi Douglas,

You have seen the light and the progress since last year is pretty amazing. As someone who is a couple of years ahead of you in terms of discovering/applying these principles I want to encourage you and let you know that it works!

Does your wife work? You income is very healthy, if its growth outpaces inflation and you continue to derive more utility from your money you will reach FI much sooner than you think.

Douglas

Post by Douglas » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:10 pm

Thanks for the reply 2Birds. I saw the light maybe 4 years ago but I had a pretty big hole to climb out. For the longest time it was get out of debt, get out of debt! But now it is WTF do I do with all this money? Luckily I have been studying for a while but there is so much to learn. I am conservative with most of my predictions so the FI dates have a decent chance of getting pulled in especially if we sell our house later and move to a location with a relatively low cost of living.

My wife has not worked for about 2 years now, probably won't full time for another 5 or so due to the little ones. She does all sorts of things though to keep our home in order that allow me to focus on work / managing assets like side hustles, community networking, finding free stuff, social coordinating, documentation, parenting, ect. Although in my dream world she would be able to do that and have a job but it just wouldn't be possible without outsourcing most of the work. In an ideal scenario just as I am burning out from my career she is ready to go back to work so that we have health insurance and income.

Douglas

Post by Douglas » Sat May 12, 2018 9:02 pm

this will be an interesting graph over time. The ultimate goal is to have the two lines intersect (time averaged) and then I will definitely have leveled up. I rarely go to bars / tap-houses anymore and I won't switch it up to moonshine to save costs. I now see the lines intersecting as a prerequisite for early financial independence which of course means more than having a bunch of money in the bank. Basically consuming alcohol will need to become more or less a social activity rather than a daily unwind. Let's see how this goes.