GandK's journal, part II

Where are you and where are you going?
GandK

Free campsites

Post by GandK »

@McTrex Thank you!

Anyone interested in free campsites: check out the FreeRoam app (Android and iPhone). I'm pretty sure we've tried all the site locator apps now, and this one takes the cake. Love the app, love their mission. Watch a short video here. We especially love how we can sort by which free sites have T-Mobile coverage.

GandK

Re: GandK's journal, part II

Post by GandK »

We spent the last few weeks tooling around New England, watching the leaves change colors. According to the locals, this was the best year in a long time for doing this because the weather had been perfect. There's about another week at the peak, if anyone else is in a position to come this way.

I'm no photographer, but here are a few shots I managed. Unedited other than cropping. Click to zoom...

It is absolutely beautiful up here. Weather, leaves, people, everything. The absolute ONLY downside is the internet. No matter how many bars we've had, because the rest of New England is out looking at the leaves too, and taking pics, and uploading them, we can't do a thing online. Everyone, everywhere we go, is cussin and fussin about the internet... "Will all you people get the hell offline so I can get on?!?" Hehehe...

Things we've discovered: In Vermont you can camp free along highway 71 in the Somerset airfield area (Green Mountain National Forest). We were advised that this area is crawling with hipster college students when they're on fall and spring breaks, but when they're not it opens up nicely.

Favorite campground in New Hampshire: Blackberry Crossing, we showered up the road at Jigger Johnson.

Favorite campground in Vermont: North, we like Hapgood Pond. South, we like Molly Stark. Nearby Molly Stark, the Vermont Distillers company has a parking lot across the road from their establishment where they allow RVers passing through to spend 1 night free of charge.

These campsites are currently $20 or $25 per night, no hookups. When coupled with free overnights on the way to these campgrounds at places like Walmart and Love's (and the distillery), this makes for a very reasonable trip for RVers.

In other amusing news, my 9yo son now thinks that moose are a Vermont and New Hampshire capitalist conspiracy. There are signs all over the place warning him to look out for them, and shops everywhere trying to sell them to him in toy and clothing form, but because he's yet to see any moose in the wild, he's put them firmly in the dragons and unicorns camp. Add this to New Hampshire's Old Man of the Mountain, who also no longer exists but ought to be bought as a souvenir, and Hampies are just jerks all around, he's decided.

We have one more week on the road this trip before we amble back to Ohio.

Mister Imperceptible

Post by Mister Imperceptible »

GandK wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:09 pm
New Hampshire capitalist conspiracy
Our secret is no state income tax :twisted:
GandK wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:09 pm
Hampies are just jerks all around
He wouldn’t be the first to say so :P

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

Sounds like a great trip. I used to love New England in the fall (the three I spent there, anyway). Tell your son to hang in there. I was in my 40s before I got a relatively close moose sighting. Prior to that I'd only seen one swimming almost a mile away when I was 14.
Last edited by IlliniDave on Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mister Imperceptible

The Great Stone Face and Other Tales of the White Mountains

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/1916/1916-h/1916-h.htm

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Sounds like your son needs to start making a pitch for a trip up to Alaska. ;)

Nice photos!

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

I was thinking about the same. I remember moose on the outskirts of Fairbanks. My dad still talks about pouring a bowl of cereal at the table, going to get the milk, turning around to find a moose putting her head through the open window and eating his cereal!

But it might no be worth the wear and tear of traveling the AlCan. Maybe save this trip until one is nearly done with the RV...

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Riggerjack wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:16 am
But it might no be worth the wear and tear of traveling the AlCan. Maybe save this trip until one is nearly done with the RV...
The Alcan is completely paved now and is better than any road you'd find in Alaska. It's in great condition with the exception of the last 70 miles or so before the border.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

Nice! I never traveled it, but I heard some crazy stories. And back in the 80's, there were some very damaged vehicles that had survived the trip running around town.

GandK

Post by GandK »

For the month of December, we're in Arizona. Our homestead area is greater Phoenix; this is because Phoenix is one of the few cities with winters above freezing that has extremely cheap plane tickets back to Cincinnati. G flies back every 10 days for 4 days as he winds down his law practice. (We can't let our RV pipes freeze.)

G and I have been in Arizona before, but last time we did not have the little guy in tow. He's decided he never wants to leave. Everything about the area seems to appeal to him, from the desert to the mountains to the giant cactus. We've explained that the summers may not appeal as much unless we go to the top of the mountains. "Wouldn't everyone else be up there too, if that's how to get away from the heat? It'll be crowded. You don't like crowded, Mom." :lol: No I do not.

Holidays are different in an RV! After Christmas last year, I made a "Christmas tree" for the RV from an old mug stand my mom had when I was a kid, some of our favorite Christmas ornaments, and my friend's hot glue gun. (Then we pitched the tree and all the other ornaments.) When not December, the whole thing fits in a shoe box. It now takes five minutes to decorate our home for Christmas and we have all our favorite decorations. It has the air of Charlie Brown's Christmas tree, but it also has all our favorite memories on it. Why Lord Why didn't we do this before we left the condo. I might add lights eventually, but none of us think it's necessary.

My parents are flying out to see us on the 20th. They want to take us to Tucson and do spendy things for our Christmas present. I spent half an hour on the phone with my mother this afternoon trying to tell her I just wanted to see her, that she didn't have to spend a thousand dollars on us for Christmas. She kept saying things like, "But what will we DO? Just go to Starbucks and look at each other?" She could not parse what I was saying, and I will never be able to make her. I got off the phone and cried. That conversation is our whole relationship in a nutshell.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Have you been to the desert botanical garden? My wife and I were there in 2018. They had a huge light show for the holidays. Well worth admission.

mooretrees

Post by mooretrees »

Are you hooked up to shore power? We have an instant pot and I am hesitant to bring it on to our skoolie as I'm concerned about the energy suck. The water saving I hadn't considered so that was interesting to hear.

I think you have another journal? Do you talk about why you decided to home school there? I do consider it but would like both of us to be home to help with it. Also, my son is still young enough that I have time to decide.

Enjoying your journal!

GandK

Post by GandK »

Scott 2 wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:18 pm
Have you been to the desert botanical garden? My wife and I were there in 2018. They had a huge light show for the holidays. Well worth admission.
Never. I've put it on the list of possibilites. Thanks!
mooretrees wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:11 am
Are you hooked up to shore power? We have an instant pot and I am hesitant to bring it on to our skoolie as I'm concerned about the energy suck. The water saving I hadn't considered so that was interesting to hear.

I think you have another journal? Do you talk about why you decided to home school there? I do consider it but would like both of us to be home to help with it. Also, my son is still young enough that I have time to decide.

Enjoying your journal!
We are on shore power until January 3rd. At present.

We have an Instant Pot Duo mini. It pulls down less power than the normal Instant Pot (700w instead of, I think, 1000w). We've never had a problem with it. We also have a small electric space heater, though, that's 1500w... we use that instead of our propane when we're plugged in; it's also a handy white noise machine at night. We've never had a problem with it either, and I highly recommend something of the kind if your rig uses propane and it doesn't have electric heat already. We have an electric kettle that's 1500w too, which we use for heating water for tea and broth. We have never had more than one of these 3 plugged in at the same time. Our rig's not ancient, but I'm not a power expert, and I'm not in a position to stop teaching my kid and go a-tinkering if something fails.

We decided to homeschool because we knew we wanted to move into an RV once my husband retired, and that we'd be traveling a lot. Public school just would not be compatible with what we were doing, long term. I left work when our now 9yo was 2, and he did K-1 in public school, but when we were sure we were about a year from my husband's retirement date, we pulled him out and started homeschooling. It was important to us that we not hit the road and start homeschooling at the same time... too much disruptive change all at once, we thought. So we homeschooled second grade last year in Ohio, stationary, and now we're doing third on the road. That's gone as well as it could, for us and for him.

The very best thing you can do if you want to homeschool, or think you do, is get on Facebook and join the homeschooling groups in your geographic area. Especially the main one for your state, and the one for your current school district. You don't have to post. Just get on there and read and lurk. Every question you have about what to do and when to do it, somebody has already asked, and all the answers given will be specific to your state laws. Homeschooling laws vary widely by state.

GandK

How our finances shook out

Post by GandK »

I've been reluctant to post specifics about our post-retirement finances, even though it might be useful to somebody. First, G is still flying home to work 8 days a month, and should I/we ever be doxxed, that could prove awkward for him in our original social circle. Second, he's still paying child support for one of his children, and posting specifics could put us in an awkward spot with that too. We've never hidden our assets, but we lived so modestly that no one ever went looking for money either.

But we're now at the end of the dangerous stage.

We spent several months moving money around between accounts and getting things in place before hitting the road. When the dust settled, it looked like this:

(Bearing in mind we are a household of 3, ages 51, 45, and 9, plus child support of $575/mo for another child who's not in our home)

Income:

G's part time lawyering, 4 days twice a month, gives us $2400/month. His transportation and business expenses eat a third of that, so after taxes we end up with half. $1200/month.
We also have an inflation-indexed annuity in my name only that gives us $975/month. This is for life. Weird amount, but it's what we could afford.

Non-retirement funds:

We have $20,000 spread across two bank accounts, $5k in one and $15k in the other. This is our emergency fund.

We have a high-risk, high-yield brokerage portfolio that's currently at $171,000, the sole purpose of which is to throw off very high dividends. It gives us $24,260/year, or an average of $2,021 per month, but irregularly. That pot funds the remainder of our monthly expenses, and gives us some extra.

We have another $150,000 in the same account, part in cash and part in VT. That is our "hell in a handbasket" money... I would not be comfortable doing the super high dividend thing without this pot alongside it.

Retirement (tax advantaged, age restricted) funds:

We have a combined $142,000 in 3 IRAs, 2 Roth and 1 regular. These are in various ETFs, most chosen years ago based on someone's wild hair (don't tell me you don't have that account too!). They're all in the black and fairly diversified so we leave them be. Hopefully by the time we can access them (one in 9 years and the other 2 in 14 years) they'll be a nice cushion. Or the medical money. Or both.

We also have 2 pensions. G's pension is a PERS type that can be rolled to an IRA rather than annuitized. We plan to do that, as soon as he's done with his part time gig. He'll end up with between $50k and $55k in what will be IRA #4. See previous.

My pension is annuity only, 110% funded thankfully. It can be taken at any time. If I draw it now (at 45) I get about $300 a month for life; I can leave it alone as late as age 70, when I'd get roughly $1650 per month. Quirky complication: my pension checks are inflation-adjusted only after I turn 65, regardless of when I begin to draw. At present, we're thinking we'll draw at age 63 (in 17.5 years).

Other:

Obviously we are not counting on Social Security in the above. Assuming no benefit cuts, we'd each be entitled to roughly $1,500 at age 67, in today's dollars.

My parents are wealthy. I will likely inherit a larger sum than we currently possess, but hopefully not until my 70s. G won't inherit.

We have our RV, tow car, dolly, etc. in place. We still need to kit it out with solar, but we're otherwise happy with our rig.

So that's it!

Math people, feel free to chime in and tell me we're idiots on paper. We may be, since no one else is recommending this particular combination of investments and incomes. I don't mind being a paper idiot in anyone else's book, though. We feel pretty snug, and we believe the bases are covered.

bostonimproper

Post by bostonimproper »

We have a high-risk, high-yield brokerage portfolio that's currently at $171,000, the sole purpose of which is to throw off very high dividends. It gives us $24,260/year, or an average of $2,021 per month, but irregularly.
Hot damn.

Mister Imperceptible

I have read strong libertarian vibes from you in the past and for that reason I suspect you would see the merit in making investments in counter-party-free areas. Especially given your exposure to pensions. Your parents, too, are a counterparty.

Given your fear of being doxxed, I would understand also the underreporting of such counter-party-free assets.

I am majorly bullish not only on counter-party-free/insurance assets, but also equity assets that produce those insurance policies.

GandK

Post by GandK »

Happy New Year to everybody!

I turned 46 this week. The week after New Year's Day is, for the record, the worst possible time to have a birthday. Exactly no human beings want to party the week after New Year's. They're all out of money, they're all out of time off, and they're all hung over. Even the diehards will give it a miss. Every year it's just you, a half-empty bottle of Prosecco, and a handful of sparklers IF the children left you any. Sad, sad. :lol:

G's in Ohio, closing out cases. He has a sticky note on his file cabinet for every remaining open case he has. We're down to 14 stickies.

I. Like. Arizona.

I really like it... the Sonoran/Mojave deserts in general. I've had fewer migraines since moving out here. I wondered if I would since my main trigger is barometric pressure swings. And that has helped me get out and exercise more, which has helped my mood. It's been so positive, all around. Or maybe Southwestern Ohio was so negative (for me, healthwise). Weather looks good in this specific area through mid-March, and there are a TON of gorgeous free camping spots on BLM land here. I keep wondering where they all go to get water, though... that's the only hitch. Once you have solar, which they all appear to, water would be your only limiting factor.

My 9yo came to me this morning, right after the missile strike he was blissfully ignorant of, and said, "Your grandfather, your dad, and you were all in the Air Force, right?" Well, my granddad was in the Army, I said, but yes. "I want to go next," he announced. We'll talk about it when you're old enough to shave. "OK." I believe in duty, and doing our bit. But I find it hard to think about my youngest doing his, especially with... politics.

Tonight, for my birthday, he wants to watch Pokemon, "just the two of us." The joys of parenting.

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

Happy New Year and Happy Birthday GandK!

I'm loving your journal. I've got a few things in common with you (or perhaps more accurately your 9yo!): I was homeschooled K-12 (~1992-2004), I lived in a fifth wheel with my family for a year at 13yo, I (kind of) live in a converted cargo trailer now, and I grew up in the Mojave and have been all over the desert southwest.

Regarding water: My method is to use 5gall water containers that I refill every time I go to the grocery store, because they have water dispensers at $.35/gal. But I run a composting toilet and no shower, so I consume only about 1-2gal/day. In an RV with higher water consumption rates, that method might not suit. Do you have a towed vehicle?

If you are near a food coop or 'health food store', it might be likely that they have filtered water in the back and will let you fill up for free.

More common places to get tap water if you aren't particular about filtration or need to fill your rig directly with a hose: gas stations, BLM/Forest Service stations, rest stops, dump stations, parks, random faucets sticking out of a business you've just patronized... Even when I'm not 'on the road', there's a subroutine running in my head that finds and notes all unguarded spigots. :)

GandK

Post by GandK »

Well this has been an interesting few weeks.

We left Arizona on schedule, just before the Coronapocalypse (or the poo-pocalypse as my 9-year-old calls it... he continues to giggle about all the toilet paper squirrels we see on the news). We headed to Escapees headquarters in Livingston, Texas to establish Texas residency, and we arrived there last Monday, the 9th.

I don't know what I expected, but it was different. Just a big RV park, maybe? Rainbow's End is part RV park, part subdivision and part senior living establishment, with a giant post office in the middle. Half the spots there have houses on them, and there's an actual senior care facility on the property. It appeared to us that many residents had lived there full time for years. It was the first time we'd ever gone to an RV park and been asked to keep our son under direct supervision "at all times." All children under 14. This doesn't sit well with free-range GenX parents. When asked why, we were told it was "the preference of our long-term elderly residents." Heavens...

We plugged in and set up late Monday, and on Tuesday began the process of becoming Texans. For anyone interested in doing the same, this guide has exactly the right steps to take in the right order. And as of 3/11/20 you should show up from out of state bearing all of the following: current valid driver's license, titles on all vehicles, proof of registration on all vehicles, either a current US passport or your birth certificate and your Social Security card, and proof of weight of the RV (a photo of the sticker that has the GVWR, plus a side photo of the whole RV, will suffice).

On Monday morning we were Ohioans; Tuesday evening we were Texans. We would have been Texans on Monday evening except that (of all things!) the horn on our tow car did not work. We had no idea... we're not from New York, we rarely honk. In order to pass the TX vehicle inspection we had to spend $251 to get the horn fixed. We debated whether to keep the tow car an Ohioan since it's so old, but decided against it. Fixed the horn and completed the second half of the citizenship process on Tuesday instead.

Texas mails you everything. We're not used to that. In Ohio when you get a license or a document they always hand it to you on the spot. New vehicle documents? Being mailed. New licenses? Mailed. Some other thing (I've lost track) is also being mailed. This state must spend an arm and a leg on postage. Maybe it's their way of supporting their oil and gas industry.

The day after we become Texans, TSHTF and the whole world begins to hunker and bunker. Perfect timing, right? We know exactly nobody in our new state except all these old people we're being told to stay well away from who apparenly want nothing to do with my kid. We set out from Arizona with most of our supplies, but my husband slowly begins to panic. "Should we buy toilet paper too?" You don't even use toilet paper, you use wipes! Pull yourself together! "We shouldn't have sold the guns." You don't know how to shoot, honey. "But you do!" I haven't shot in years. And we can outrun all these old people. But if it makes you feel better, go to Walmart and get DRY goods. Don't buy fluids, we have a Berkey. ... He comes back an hour later with granola bars and more wipes, in tears. "People are wandering around in shock, like zombies. Empty store shelves... in America... in my lifetime." Have a glass of wine, say a prayer and go to bed. This is what happens when a control freak feels helpless, BTW: emotional collapse. Also when they watch too much Walking Dead and Fox News. That never helps anything either.

We have since left Livingston and moved to the Steinhagen Reservoir. There are 2 Corps of Engineers parks here that, if you're ever in this area, I would recommend heads and shoulders above Escapees: Sandy Creek and Magnolia Ridge. They're $16 a night with hookups, huge sites, right on the water. And we have full bars of T-Mobile, which we struggled to get any bars of at all in the Rainbow's End park. We're at Sandy Creek. SUCH nice neighbors. Everyone here has checked in with everyone else. "We're the Smith family, here until Friday. Let us know if you need anything... the world's so crazy right now."

Maybe not all of it. ♡

mooretrees

Post by mooretrees »

Glad to hear you all are figuring this crazy situation out. I’ve wondered how folks that traveled full time where handing this situation.