Felipes Journal

Where are you and where are you going?
Felipe

Felipes Journal

Post by Felipe » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:52 pm

This is where I'll document my journey.

My current phase is in transition to moving out at the end of December to travel the world indefinitely. I want to spend Christmas with my family but I'm gradually feeling more and more toxicity at home. I had a scuba and outdoor survival skills class starting in August and I've updated most of my documents to leave at the end of the year.

I'm realizing that once I leave at the year end, it may not make sense to spend too much time here for tax reasons and I want to see more of the national parks.

I smell an opportunity.

I have 6 months in California so I'm looking into through hiking as how I'll spend the next 6 months living cheaply while exploring this beautiful country, developing my survival skills in a more familiar environment than abroad, and living on my own. I'd obviously refund the classes and probably learn more anyways.

My first through hike is sea to skyline trail. A 25 mile journey along gorgeous redwoods then waterfalls then finally into a beach, most of the journey is downhill and covered by trees so this is a great first step. Getting a ride to and from the end/beginning points won't be a problem. But I have a few challenges to consider:
Water: Have a lifestraw ready. The place I'm going have water flowing but I may benefit from carrying some.
Shelter: Thinking of getting a high quality hammock https://hennessyhammock.com/products/ul ... ym-classic
I notice one that holds 350lbs would support 2 people, doesn't cost much more but weighs around 3 times as much
If I like this lifestyle, hammock comes with me around the world.
Food: Where I'm really at a loss. At first guess- protein powder, peanutbutter, sandwhiches, avocado, peaches, nuts/seeds, crackers. Wet foods are more pleasant but dry foods weigh far less.
Expecting 3 days of journey so 12 meals if I have 4 meals per day. Around 600-700 calories per meal.

Viktor K

Re: Felipes Journal

Post by Viktor K » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:15 pm

Did I miss something? How did you get to this point? Are you ERE now, or is this a temporarily hiatus? From "travel indefinitely" it sounds like you're ERE and if that's the case, awesome and congrats!

My questions and curiosity aside, I think your plan sounds pretty friggin awesome! I definitely look forward to following along :D

Felipe

Post by Felipe » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:09 pm

Thank Viktor! I've been living with my family and saving hard for a while so I have eff you money but not ERE yet. I can travel indefinitely since my work is done via telecommute and I know when the deadlines are so I could be remote as long as it's planned.

I'm hoping to save money since I'll skip expensive rent (live in heart of SV). All I'll have to cover is healthcare, food and transportation to/from where I'll start and end, $500/month sounds a reasonable limit right now excluding health insurance.

Felipe

Post by Felipe » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:32 pm

After some research: water, shelter, and food are the highest priorities. I won't be bringing a stove this trip as fire danger is very high and it's really not essential for such a short trip.
Shelter:
I have a light hammock and down quilt coming-these will provide more than enough shelter and weigh under 5lbs together.
Water:
Lifestraw, debating on bringing Imodium or water purification tablets.
There is water every couple of miles at camps and some rivers should exist (I've seen chimps dig into dry rivers for water when desperate), I'll have a 2 Liter capacity for water, not counting odor/waterproof bags holding my food. Have a safety whistle, compass, getting a map there, have bear spray (lions more likely in my area) and deet (ticks/mosquitos common).
Food:
The journey will be about 35 miles including some detours assuming no backtracking.
For food-A burrito could make a good lunch one day and another could be a good breakfast the next day. Some peaches would also be nice. Everything else will be dry.
Pack/Potential Back Issues:
I have a 35L backpack with hip belts that's great for travelling a city, not sure how it'll do for hiking but we'll find out. If it doesn't feel good for a short journey, I'll go to a military surplus store and find something cheap and sturdy that'll hold up.
Knee Issues:
I've got some new sandals on the way that should last a while. Boots/heavy shoes aggravate a mountain biking injury so lighter is the way for now, some deet sprayed on my feet should deter the only significant risk.

I keep fantasizing about living under the stars in my hammock. As long as I'm warm and protected from insects, what a dream. Slowly moving toward this. Aiming for doing this withing a month and if that works, moving out to thru hike soon after-possibly PCT from Canada border to Joshua trees, hitch to LA, then catch a $20 bus ride home. The time limit depends on when the calendar year ends.

Setting up food resupplies and water security seem the largest issues for through hikes and don't hike in a desert at noon but when it cools down (if I make it to Death Valley in time.)

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:52 am

So I did small check up:
search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&author_id=4187
(in the field I typed "journal" to obtain more data, I can't show it with the link :( )

I found this:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5886&p=85853#p85853

So how about "real life TM"? What school has you chosen? How these choices played out?
You don't need to answer :D (*) I just wanted to help you with travel to Barrier Reef, but I came to different conlusions based on your posts.

(*) Interestingly, we shouldn't stalk anybody here :D But people do it by themselves, because they provide journals.

Felipe

Post by Felipe » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:56 pm

I keep forgetting I made these in the past. Good catch. I'll keep to one.
I went to SJSU that time and I'm very happy I did since it made dropping out so much easier and let me keep working. I got straight A's but realized pay and working conditions were different than I expected after interviewing people in the field and after 1 last look into programming, chose to focus on work and saving instead.

I got most of my gear and it weighs 15 pounds all together, including what I'll wear, not including consumables (food/water). I'll add 3-5 pounds for the Yosemite hike as I'll need a bear canister and additional warmth to climb the sierras. Planning to do Skyline to Sea in 2 weeks. As soon as my down quilt arrives. I realized some camps don't have running water so I've shifted where I'll sleep. 10 miles on day 1, 15 on day 2 and 10 on day 3.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:42 pm

What fun! One of my new resolutions is that I am going to plan my life forward on the basis of pretending like I am a man in his early 20s rather than a woman in her early 50s. Reading journals like this strengthens that resolve.

detect_148

Post by detect_148 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:00 pm

Hi Felipe,

Fellow Bay Area resident here. It sounds like you plan to work your way south, but you might also consider checking out the Trinity Alps region in Northern California. They have extensive trail networks in the mountains and many many mountain lakes. If one so desired they could probably subsist entirely off fish and frog legs while surviving in the wilderness. The Ventana wilderness hikes along the Bug Sur coast are a good option is well, but I believe there was extensive fire damage there in 2016 and I'm not sure how that would affect your experience. In any case, I hope you have a great experience on your travels.

Felipe

Post by Felipe » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:02 pm

Frog legs aren't quite my thing but fishing sounds fun. I may have to look into that, Yosemite is still crowded and hot for another month or 2, and a bit bureaucratic on permits.

I found a $39 bus to the center of Yosemite from here. I'm having a problem figuring out permits. There aren't many connecting paths taking one through multiple parks (mainly JMT for Sequoia to Yosemite). I may have to start in the north at Mt. Lassen and work my way to the Mojave as a 500 mile section hike of the PCT to get through the 4 parks legally with permits since JMT on a lottery system. But I want to wander around the Sequoias and King's Canyon more. I'll look into whether there is an intrapark bus system or a different trail in a different part of the parks.

I'm realizing I have more work next month than I thought so I may not get to Yosemite until mid-September which would mean more local exploring in Big Basin and the other coastal redwood parks. I should get out by November due to snow. That gives me around 100 days in nature.

On figuring out gear-
Set up my hammock for the first time in my backyard. I need more space than my backyard has for that and some more practice tying tight knots so I'll bring it on a local hike to practice set up before my Skyline to Sea hike.

I currently hike with shorts and sandals but I'm leaning to switch towards shoes and permethrin-treated breathable clothing to stop insect stresses.

Jason

Post by Jason » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:56 pm

I read this blog and one word comes to mind: peyote.

Like giant eagle picks me up by the claws (talons?) and flies me around the desert peyote. Like I'm sobbing over my dead father but a mysterious Indian who looks just like him tells me its alright, he's now a mysterious Indian comforting me while I'm high on peyote. I've never taken peyote and I doubt I would because I'm not the type of guy who wants to be picked up by a giant eagle and flown around the desert, but this trip seems prime for that type of thing.

Anyways, nothing says FU money like walking the earth, so enjoy. And post pics. I like pictures. Especially of shit I would never in a million years think of doing.

Felipe

Post by Felipe » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:47 am

Lots of fires in Yosemite at the moment. Solidifies decision to wait.

Felipe

Post by Felipe » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:41 pm

Night 1 camping skyline to sea. Feeling knee injury after I stopped so I can't walk without a limp but I love relaxing in nature after the hikes. If I still can't walk tomorrow, I'll finish the second half later this week or early next when I've rehabbed my knee.

One lesson learned today:
The first 5 miles were basin and rivers so water was easy to find. I noted another 6 miles to camp and thought, why carry so much water? I had 1 Liter and didn't refill since I thought another stream would be around the corner. After a steep uphill, I realized I was no longer in a basin...

I walked 5 miles without water since I ignorantly assumed water would be as readily available in the second 5 miles as in the first.

Camel up and refill at each water source.

bryan

Post by bryan » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:10 pm

Your mention of water reminds me of something I've found curious: my water intake vs a friend's during endurance exercise. Basically I noticed that my friend was always needing to stop for water/drink despite him carrying way more water than me (and me not being empty at that point). It seemed he drank about 4x the amount of water that I did. He also tended to eat energy bars or candy very routinely whereas I did not. I'm not really sure if it was me under-hydrating or him just drinking like crazy. I did notice that at some points he was sweating a river (i.e. way more than me). I had noticed earlier, but it became an issue when we were also without water for a long time and he had been running on empty (and needed an extra break) whereas I still had a little left by the time we got to a water source.

Is it the skyline-to-sea hike including Big Basin? The one I googled is 25 miles and suggests 3 days to do it. Is that it and you are just planning on taking your time or adding trails? I think part of it is the same trail my gf and I did one day, which was great: park the van on the beach/trailhead and bicycle into the park, park, hike and see some waterfalls and nature, then bicycle back to the beach/van in time to watch the sunset and relax with some treats.

Good luck; I hope the knee feels good in the morning!

Felipe

Post by Felipe » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:16 pm

That's the one.

I am making some detours like taking the sunset trail instead of the main route so it's a total of 32 miles from my understanding.

Thanks for the wishes. I'll finish either way in the long run.

Zanka

Post by Zanka » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:54 am

Good luck! I love hiking and try to get out as often as possible. I will def be following this!

Felipe

Post by Felipe » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:48 pm

I came back without a limp but a slowed pace due to the joint soreness. I could tell my legs needed a break and I like walking too much to risk it so I'm rehabbing today and finishing within a week.

Main lessons from the trip:
*Knots are essential knowledge: two half hitches on a bite, bowline, and figure 8s made the hammock work and handled some unexpected breaks.
*Quit thinking temperature is enough to gauge comfort, humidity is as important.
*Put up my rain tarp, no matter how nice staring at trees is-fog rolls in at night and chills.
*Set up my bedding in the hammock before getting in: plastic bag-survival wrap folded to 4 layers, backpack (insulation/knee raiser to prevent joint
locking), and then down quilt. I shivered under my quilt most of the night since I lost too much heat from my back not having enough insulation.
*Take off the backpack to stretch my quads, hams, glutes, calves, and tibialis anterior every 2 or 3 miles to minimize joint stress.
*Carry less weight and more warmth:
*2L of water refilled at each available spot and camel up at each available spot.
*warmer buff, extra pair of socks, mid layer jacket-down is light but fails in humidity, less food (I ate around 2k kcal instead of 3k-less appetite)
I think this will shave 5 pounds off to get me to 20 pounds including consumables so less stress on the joints.

Felipe

Post by Felipe » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:13 am

Good day rehabbing. Monday feels like a good day to finish. Family comes from out of state on next Wednesday so it'll be shortly before we start meat again.

I was surprised to learn that my toes felt sore today when walking- I was unaware that toes could feel sore from exertion and not only stubbing.

CS

Post by CS » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:00 pm

your friend might be diabetic

bryan

Post by bryan » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:41 pm

Had never considered that. I suppose it's in the realm of possibility.

Felipe

Post by Felipe » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:06 am

Planned for Monday. I will be getting dropped off further than I stopped as the road simply follows the highway (boring) until reaching Big Basin. I'll start at Big Basin HQ, take Skyline to Sea with Sunset detour for a 15 mile day and get a ride back at the end. The highway piece is the most uphill of the journey and I'd rather take my limited time here to do the more enjoyable part since there's a good chance I'll need more recovery after a full hike day.

I won't carry shelter and will carry my water in my hydration pack with some food, and a pound or 2 of useful gear so sub 10 pounds in total for a focus on less joint agitation since the distance is greater. The reason I want to do it in 1 day is 2 fold-less weight since don't have to deal with shelter and hypothermia risk at night and I'm planning on being injured again the next day so I'd rather take my rest in a safe place.

Jason

Post by Jason » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:13 pm

Good job Felipe. Keep it up. I'll be checking in on you while eating Tostitos and binge watching chicks in prison documentaries.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:48 pm

Felipe wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:02 pm

I currently hike with shorts and sandals but I'm leaning to switch towards shoes and permethrin-treated breathable clothing to stop insect stresses.
Are snakes common where you'll be hiking? That possibility would likely drive my choice of footwear if applicable, especially if I was going to be in remote area for days at a time. Maybe they are less of a concern that far north in the state?

Felipe

Post by Felipe » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:21 pm

Snakes are very common here. Saw a rattler last week hiking with a friend.

Rattlers are tame, I've seen them multiple times. If unseen, they rattle. If seen, I'm smart enough to give some space.

Viktor K

Post by Viktor K » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:07 am

Awesome progress on the hiking. As well, your writing about your bumps and bruises has inspired me to try and start running again. Went for a jog a few months ago, and my knee locked up for the rest of the weekend after. First time that's ever happened, and I haven't really pushed running or even jogging since. I'll try a good, slow warm-up and follow it with a easy jog if everything feels right. Good luck on the rest of the hikes.

Felipe

Post by Felipe » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:25 pm

Thanks Viktor. I see you getting back into climbing, isn't that more fun than urban jogging?

On hiking 15 miles tomorrow: Don't feel ready yet. I didn't hike once this week since my legs still ache walking a single block around the house so they're probably not fully recovered yet. I've been stretching, doing mobility work, electric stim, it helps. I'll do a short hike today (2 miles at most) to get back into the habit.

I have family coming in this week so I'll take them on an easy hike at Big Basin to get a feel for the park and see how ready I am in midweek.

If by next week it's still difficult, I may be over waiting and just break it up into 2 hikes so I can at least spend some time hiking if 15 miles feels too much.