NW deficit to 4% SWR: £245,123
Years of savings to 4% SWR: 4.7yr/Jan 2024

To cover "fixed expenses + optional expenses" (live as today):
Current Withdrawal Rate requirement: 8.4%
NW deficit to 4% SWR: £354,210
Years of savings to 4% SWR: 6.8yr/Feb 2026

---

Fourth full month of test FIRE year. Some things:
- It's slowly starting to dawn on me that I have "(test) retired from" but I haven't "retired to" anything. I'm feeling a little lost once again. It's great to not have the stress of work, but what am I going to do instead? Baby is keeping us busy for now and it's very enjoyable (and very hard at times), I'm starting to run and walk more. But outside of that? Well, not too much... Yet
- Realised this is in big part because my identity is quite defined by my job (or at least profession - IT), and I will either need to change my mindset to ascribe success to my health&family goals or do some more IT stuff - Likely both
- Sold my car as it was a rust bucket, so now we're down to one family car. It's working out quite well - Better than expected, and I haven't needed to get a taxi anywhere yet. Got one bus in the last month, walked tons.
- Lost about 1/2 a stone in the last few months. I put this down to the removal of stress, and the extra walking the baby to sleep.
- Anxiety attacks still happen every now and then. It's likely now it's due to the "lack of meaning and direction" and existential anxiety, as well as telling me I need to use up my energy exercising. However, with the increased exercise and less stress they have dialled right down this month to just being an eddy flow in the background.
- I'm finding more moments in the week to "just stop and be", which i find helps. As does daily journalling help on quite a deep level.

fingeek

Re: Fingeek's Journal

Post by fingeek »

Update for June:

Primary job income cover (How much of my primary salary am I saving?): 0%
Savings Rate: 0%
Current net worth (not including home): £324,627

To cover "fixed expenses" (lean FIRE):
Current Withdrawal Rate requirement: 7.0%
NW deficit to 4% SWR: £244,325
Years of savings to 4% SWR: 4.7yr/Mar 2024

Current Withdrawal Rate requirement: 8.3%
NW deficit to 4% SWR: £351,671
Years of savings to 4% SWR: 6.7yr/Mar 2026

---

5/12 full month of test FIRE year.

It feels like the burnout is actually slowly fading away. Much of this because I'm exercising more, getting out in the world, meditating and being more mindful/in the moment and unplugging from tech.

Being Vs doing. Ere is another outlet for me to try and control the situation, looking into the distant future like a good INTJ. But, it's not really helpful to focus on things too much. I've been practicing "being" a lot more this month, and I've learnt it's very hard to not constantly flip back into "doing" mode.

The remaining infrequent shadows of anxiety I think is arising from trying to control situations (classic INTJ), and very possibly much of my original problem. I've started to practice "winging it" a lot more this last month and it's going well. Focus on the budget isn't as strict, and I'm happy with this decision for the moment.

Advice for anyone listening - It will very probably take you a good 6 months to decompress/destress

fingeek

Post by fingeek »

Update for July:

Current net worth (not including home): £335,170

Current Withdrawal Rate requirement: 6.8%
NW deficit to 4% SWR: £234,507
Years of savings to 4% SWR: 4.5yr/Jan 2024

Current Withdrawal Rate requirement: 8.1%
NW deficit to 4% SWR: £340,982
Years of savings to 4% SWR: 6.5yr/Feb 2026

---

6/12 full month of test FIRE year.

Half way through test-FIRE year! Wow it's gone very quickly. Most of the first half felt like a write-off with decompression, catch-up, draining the burnout and anxiety. But I'm pleased to say it has been successful on the whole. I'm looking forward to the latter half, and using the time to build my future hobbies and spending time with family. I've realised I don't have real hobbies, nor do I have a sense of community outside of work and that is a critical failure point when FIREing. This will be one of the focuses going forward, to slowly build my life away from work-mode - Family & friends, health, hobbies, and pursuing curiosities.

Still practicing being vs doing, and still forgetting a lot! It's helping to set my intention at the start of the day and 5 mins of mindfulness before getting out of bed.

I think I've found the root cause of my anxiety - It was work initially, but that subsided after the first few months. The latent pangs of anxiety now I think are to do with fatherhood in fact - it's s very new area, and I realised I'm not resillient here as my partner breastfeeds and does most of the nighttime soothing, so I'd struggle if it was left solely to me. Funny as an INTJ who tried to control the situation initially, and now I'm finally starting to relax as I'm getting more competent - A classic INTJ pattern I'm (we're) doomed to repeat unless we keep mindful of it as it happens.

Notes to self:
- Keep practicing being vs doing.
- Focus on building your non-work life.
- Fixate less on controlling situations, being more stoic/mindful instead for happiness.

In a twisted turn of events, I'm quite looking forward to going back to work now. I needed the extended time off to help reflect. I realised that:
• The option to work for me at this point in time, but not the requirement - That's enough freedom ("potential freedom"/optionality) for me for now. Knowing that I can "FU" at any point is empowering.
• My purpose/misson is still tied to work at the moment, hence the lost feeling this year. I will work on finding hobbies and other purpose this coming years, but I've gotten comfortable in the lost-ness feeling, knowing that I have the opportunity to change this at my leisure over time.

Bit of a long brain dump this month, back to shorter ones next month!
Last edited by fingeek on Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

fingeek

Post by fingeek »

Update for Aug:

Current net worth (not including home): £333,362

To cover ""fixed expenses"" (lean FIRE):
Current Withdrawal Rate requirement: 6.8%
NW deficit to 4% SWR: £246,314
Years of savings to 4% SWR: 4.5yr/Oct 2024

To cover ""fixed expenses + optional expenses"" (live as today):
Current Withdrawal Rate requirement: 8.1%
NW deficit to 4% SWR: £342,789
Years of savings to 4% SWR: 6.6yr/Mar 2026

---

7/9* full month of test FIRE year.

In a funny turn of events, after two months of being decompressed/not burnt out, I've decided to go back to work - I'll be going back in November, 3 months early. It's occurred to me that I'm missing the social interaction, the "belongingness" to something bigger, and challenge/mastery. "The ability to choose your own jail cell makes it bearable" as I read somewhere recently. Going back to work is the easy way to solve for these, instead of continuing to stare the existential anxiety and boredom directly in the face.

On the other hand, work will never be the focal point in my life as it previously was. I've shifted my mindset and I realise that going back to work won't solve the RE portion. Finding hobbies and meaning is something I've started to enjoy this last two months, and I will put work in a box marked "9-5".

The logical long-term route is to switch into a part time tech job, and that is my end game for the next 30yrs. My top core value is freedom (as I suspect is most of everyone else's here), but I'm currently of the belief I have too much(?!) freedom, and I'm not using it to it's fullest advantage.. So I may as well use the time productively. Secondly, now that I'm a stone's throw away from lean-FI, I again have the "potential freedom"/optionality which is enough for now.

I read this good article https://www.verywellmind.com/finding-ha ... ef-3144580 recently which illuminates a few of the things beneficial for happiness - I'll be going through these more properly and noting down which areas I would benefit on focusing on. After an initial read, I realise some of these areas are what my body/unconscious has been telling me to focus on for a while now by way of stress and anxiety - Fun!

My journals these days seem to be devoid of the money side of things, which is a really good thing. I have been focusing less and less on this and more on the "life" stuff. One observation is that my net worth has been roughly stable this last year which is an excellent indicator that when I do manoeuvre into part-time eventually, we will be able to comfortably sustain our lifestyle if we choose.
Last edited by fingeek on Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:39 am, edited 4 times in total.

suomalainen

Post by suomalainen »

Thanks for this, the reply in my journal and the pointer to the article. Tucking that away in my journal to be reminded of it from time to time.

fingeek

Post by fingeek »

Update for Sept:

Current net worth (not including home): £330,851

Current Withdrawal Rate requirement: 6.9%
NW deficit to 4% SWR: £248,825
Years of savings to 4% SWR: 4.6yr/Nov 2024

To cover ""fixed expenses + optional expenses"" (live as today):
Current Withdrawal Rate requirement: 8.2%
NW deficit to 4% SWR: £345,300
Years of savings to 4% SWR: 6.6yr/May 2026

---

8/9 full month of test FIRE year.

One more month until I'm back at work. I'll be doing part time/20hrs for Nov+Dec which will give me a taster of the part-time world too. I'll be able to get a fair feel of whether or not I'm OK doing full-time, part-time, or retired for the long run. I suspect part-time will suit me best but it's great that I'll be able to trial all options for a few months, and see where I continue my job crafting efforts. I'm fairly certain I don't want to do fulltime for more than about a year, so we'll see how this all pans out.

I'm practicing become less goals focused and more process/journey -oriented, as this folds into staying more in "being" mode rather than "doing". I'm enjoying golf and running, and I've started to meditate more frequently too.
Last edited by fingeek on Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

wolf

Post by wolf »

Thanks for the update fingeek!
I like to read about your experiences and lessons learned in your test FIRE year.
How many hours of work was/is full-time? I ask because there is a spread in work hours between full-time jobs in different countries and also within countries due to overtime, regulations, etc. I'd like to compare it with your part time work of 20 hours.

fingeek

Post by fingeek »

Thanks wolf, equally I'm getting a lot of value reading your journey too and excited to see where you take renaissance man mindset!

Full time in UK is approx 40hrs. Currently I feel like 20-30hrs will be my 3-5yr aim, and then reassess - Focusing on enjoyment primarily from now, rather than being too fixated on goals and finance.

fingeek

Post by fingeek »

Update for Oct:

Current net worth (not including home): £332,209

Current Withdrawal Rate requirement: 7.3%
NW deficit to 4% SWR: £250,350
Years of savings to 4% SWR: 5.2yr/Oct 2025

Current Withdrawal Rate requirement: 7.9%
NW deficit to 4% SWR: £324,408
Years of savings to 4% SWR: 6.2yr/Jan 2026

---

9/9 full month of test FIRE year.

Back to work next week!

I thought I'd reflect on some things I've learnt while off: Burnout gone, anxiety gone, sense of identity gone - I've freed up a lot of mind space and clutter to figure out who I am going to be for the next 10 years, and that's a positive (albeit painful) thing. Until now, I've been 100% goals focused, chasing the next thing, knowing that "I'll finally be happy when I get to X" - ERE included... Only to find that that's not how it is at all. Happiness is found in the journey, not the destination. It's utterly clichéd of course, but true. Don't believe it? Notice the next time you find yourself lost in happiness... You're in the moment, you're not thinking about past or future, you are in the now and then something tickles you from through the crack in reality and you realise "shit, I'm extremely happy right now". It's the big trick we all play on ourselves, and I daresay it's even more so for us high performing generally [IE]NT[JP] types here as we're so drawn to goals and so-called "success". Our true self is not identified by our goals, it appears. Overall, I believe this to mark the start of my transition from goals-oriented thinking to systems-oriented thinking.

Ironically then, I'm looking forward to going back to work for the challenge and belonging that I've noted previously. I'm not motivated by the money at all at this point (though it's nice to see the net worth increase, its slowly getting less and less relevant). My identity is still tied to my achievements and it's scary, so pulling myself back into a position where I'm not completely lost I think will help me settle for the short term and figure out how to deal with that all more permanently. My aims are "have fun, keep learning, keep expanding my freedom" and nothing really more than that.

So, to summarise (and similar to what I recall @m741 saying before they retired): Don't be too focused on the future goal of retirement so much that you let your current skills, motivation and happiness atrophy. You will miss out on the little opportunities for improvement and enjoyment along the way - A slightly better job or promotion, options to work remotely and so on.

Apologies for the waffle... I'm off to buy some stuff and things
Last edited by fingeek on Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:58 am, edited 3 times in total.

fingeek

Post by fingeek »

Update for Nov:

Primary job income cover (How much of my primary salary am I saving?): 59%
Savings Rate: 63%
Current net worth (not including home): £339,960

Current Withdrawal Rate requirement: 7.1%
NW deficit to 4% SWR: £252,217
Years of savings to 4% SWR: 5.1yr/Nov 2025

Current Withdrawal Rate requirement: 7.8%
NW deficit to 4% SWR: £323,450
Years of savings to 4% SWR: 6.2yr/Feb 2026

---

First month back in work!

The pangs of existential anxiety still happen occasionally, and I've learnt that these are my ego-mind (pain-body according to Eckhart Tolle) trying to push me to Do Things Now. I've done a bit more reading about it this month and it seems like it's an entirely normal thing that people go through when in an existential crisis.

"Many people who are going through the early stages of the awakening process are no longer certain what their outer purpose is. What drives the world no longer drives them. Seeing the madness of our civilization so clearly, they may feel somewhat alienated from the culture around them. Some feel that they inhabit a no­-man’s land between two worlds." — Eckhart Tolle

This gives me a lot of comfort that I'm on my path out of having my identity tied to work (and by extension, money). This year I realised I've attempted/started to build some portions of my web-of-goals that are completely unrelated to money, and are more related to helping people in some way. It appears that I get a lot of value (and dare I say, meaning?) from doing this, so I'll keep expanding this portion of life gradually and see where it takes me. I would be wise to not rush this process, and therefore fall right back into doing mode and completely miss the point. As Alan Watts said, "it's a musical thing and you were meant to dance"[1].

Work has been quite pleasant, and I've gone back in with a different mindset. A mindset that "I don't need this work/money, it's now my choice". Choosing my own jailcell has given me more freedom and permission to find enjoyment in it. Strange isn't it?

[1] https://youtu.be/ERbvKrH-GC4

fingeek

Post by fingeek »

Update for Dec:

Current net worth (not including home): £344,667

Current Withdrawal Rate requirement: 7.0%
NW deficit to 4% SWR: £254,198
Years of savings to 4% SWR: 4.9yr/Nov 2024

Current Withdrawal Rate requirement: 7.6%
NW deficit to 4% SWR: £308,617
Years of savings to 4% SWR: 5.9yr/Dec 2025

---

I've been enjoying navel gazing this month, reading and researching quite a bit about a multitude of topics. One thing I finally dove into further was into kegan levels. Finally I realise the label to put on my experience in the last two or do years - The internalisation of the understanding that we are all connected (and that I desire more "belongingness", or connectedness to other networks and systems) marks my transition to Kegan level 5 (if I may be so bold to pronounce myself).

Am also wondering which part of me decided to buy a car - I've driven perhaps 100 miles this month and going forward I'll be driving nowhere near this. This last year I didn't have a car, and yet I reasoned this to mean I was trapped. Even though I could walk or cab anywhere (both having yielding benefits like exercise and multitaskability), I chose not to spend the time or money doing so in general, and instead I stayed at home. This will be an area of introspecting, perhaps an area of re-optimisation again.

I had to fudge/smooth some of the last few months of "NW deficit to 4%" recordings as I realised I buggered up some spreadsheet formulas. Close enough to the nearest 5k though, and the ETAs were accurate which is the main thing. Comparing to 6 and 12 months ago, expenses have broadly inflated a little bit so that will be one focus for this year, to get some of these things back under control. I've always asserted that I've been pretty frugal since leaving uni, but looking at the figures I'm less convinced of this now - It's nice when data highlights a discrepancy in a belief - Progress!

fingeek

Post by fingeek »

Update for Jan:

Current net worth (not including home): £417,920

Current Withdrawal Rate requirement: 5.6%
NW deficit to 4% SWR: £165,235
Years of savings to 4% SWR: 4.1yr/Feb 2024

Current Withdrawal Rate requirement: 6.1%
NW deficit to 4% SWR: £219,655
Years of savings to 4% SWR: 5.4yr/Jun 2025

---

The remortgage on the commercial property completed this month after long last, which realised an increase in property value (Hence the healthy £73k uptick in NW) - It's amazing how long, drawn-out and frustrating this whole commercial remortgage process is.

Interestingly, when plotting against my YMOYL graph, I'm now at about 5-6% SWR. It's starting to dawn on me how much slack I have in my slowly-forming system, and how wasteful that is becoming. No, not wasteful, more opportunistic. Taking the year^9 months off also helped "prove" to myself that we're relatively capable of living off what we have for at least medium-term periods of time. I suspect now that if I eliminated most/all of the slack, I could FIRE - The question now becomes "how much slack do I desire/require -vs- the time and opportunity cost of working -vs- reliance on property as a higher yielding investment". As the months go on, I'm becoming less and less fixated on the detailed numbers (perhaps surprising as an INTJ, or maybe it means I'm hitting "competence"/"expert" level intuition on the money side?) and I'm getting more and more interested in all the other stuff - non-monetary resilience, belongingness, and identifying and following my interests. Incidentally, it took me a while to write this paragraph, which is probably a helpful indicator and signpost to where I am wheaton-level wise. It's probably apparent that I still haven't formed a full set of opinions on this - Any advice/guidance/notes would be most appreciated!

Mindset is currently "I know I can go without X but I'm choosing not to, I'm choosing to stay working". Curious how this currently reflects in my life eg car, and slack with lazy buying things rather than repairing. c_L noted recently about INTJs over-optimising for type I and II errors, which is definitely true in my case - Something to keep mindful of in coming years.

I'm also realising that the last couple of years, the things that I enjoyed most are where I'm learning/growing (already knew this), but also where I'm socialising and belonging to some sort of tribe too. Perhaps I'm moving slightly from *I* to *E*...

A paragraph stood out from an article https://vickirobin.com/my-life-with-fir ... =700741209 :
" that getting FI launches you into what may seem an identity crisis but is really a big fat opportunity to find yourself in freedom. You designed a work life. Now design a life work"
Shit, this is exactly what happened to me on my year off, and I ultimately panic-chose to go back early to the safe (at least, familiar) compounds of work instead of tackling the bigger question of what do I want to do in life.

fingeek

Post by fingeek »

Update for Feb:

Current net worth (not including home): £406,486

Current Withdrawal Rate requirement: 5.7%
NW deficit to 4% SWR: £177,341
Years of savings to 4% SWR: 4.4yr/Jul 2024

Current Withdrawal Rate requirement: 6.3%
NW deficit to 4% SWR: £231,766
Years of savings to 4% SWR: 5.7yr/Nov 2025

---

I've focused primarily on being in the moment and being in drive/goals mode this month. I've thought very little about the money side of things which I'm happy about. The only time I had thought more deeply this month is in the last week or so where the markets seemingly have tanked, and I wonder whether to redirect a ton of cash savings into investments to capitalise on them (then build the buffer back up over the next 4-5 months). Any opinions would be most welcome!

Aside from that I've made a stern effort to enjoy both being and drive mode, and it seems to have worked for the most part - I'm quite enjoying being back in work and I'm continuing to job craft (thanks @wolf!) to make it more like my longer term goals. Down time is mostly pleasant with wife, baby and friends. I hope to focus on building the positivity mindset over the coming months, while I'm pulling myself finally out of the rut I've been in for a while.

wolf

Post by wolf »

Great, I could give you some inspiration. What have you done so far regarding job crafting? What are your next steps?

mooretrees

Post by mooretrees »

Why don't you include your house in your net worth? Just curious because as my net worth is so low, the little bit of equity we have in our house bumps it up a lot.

Also, really enjoyed reading your progression from full time to the test year to part time, especially the bits where you learned about your identity. I am thinking semi-ERE is for me, but I too need to work on being present and not hyper-focused on the future.

fingeek

Post by fingeek »

@wolf I'm realising more and more that I'm far better with some structure day-to-day and week-to-week. I also need challenge. In work, I've moved to a new really talented team in an interesting problem space, and this seems to be keeping me engaged (It's also a bit closer to the customer, which helps a bit with finding meaning in my work). I chose a team that was already part-remote and a manager that's fairly hands off, so day-to-day I work from home and continue to have freedom in my schedule as long as I deliver what I'm asked of. It's hard to see what next steps are, and I think I'm quite happy where I am for at least a few months, if not rest of the year. Medium term steps I think will be to move into a part-time job as i found that the best balance for me last year. How are you doing with job crafting? What are your goals?

@mooretrees Thanks! I'm glad my ramblings are helping someone else other than me! If you have any tips on being present I'd love to hear them, it's become a focus of my daily journal but I still miss it regularly. I don't include my house in my NW because it doesn't generate any income. The reason I track my NW is so I can visualise the 3%-4% income figure from it. We could downsize for sure and realise the equity, and that point the freed up cash would add to the NW, but otherwise there doesn't seem to be any utility in considering house equity in NW. PS it looks like you're going down a path where lower NW isn't so important, and I think that's a far better position to be in wrt. slack and resilience as we've discussed in other forum posts

mooretrees

Post by mooretrees »

Yes, I'm beginning to see more and more advantages to semi-ERE and part time work. Glad there are others blazing the trail.

wolf

Post by wolf »

That sounds great. Job crafting is very stable. And that's a good thing. Our company is restructuring and therefore there is a lot of work to do. So I work overtime, but every hour is getting paid. Due to restructuring there is the chance to increase my share of working from home from two to three days a week. That's my goal: working three days a week from home by the end of the year. This spring, summer and autumn I want to use my vacation days to realize many weeks with only four working days. I've got 30 vacation days so ideally there will be 30 weeks with only 4 days to work. As I already said in my journal, it feels like working part-time (4-days work week, 35 hours regularly, 2-3 days working from home), but I get paid a full-time salary. Well, another goal of mine is to increase my Real Hourly Wage. I'm quite happy with my work (time/content/pay/flexibility), so overall job crafting works really fine. :-)

Forskaren

Post by Forskaren »

I think it can mistake to not include all debt, all real estate, all other investments as well as future pension when looking at the whole picture. When you see the whole picture, it is easier to make a correct judgement about the asset allocation. I would feel a bit uncomfortable if a 40% drop in real estate prices would wipe out my whole net worth.

fingeek

Post by fingeek »

That's really great to hear @wolf, you're nailing job crafting! I'm pretty happy for the moment as to where I am, but I suspect towards the end of the year I'll get the itch again to have more free time (we'll see, it will be an interesting one!) I do want to tend towards optimising for more free time in the 1-2yr timeframe, and I'll be aiming to just take the opportunities when I can (eg taking unpaid leave to increase holiday %).