Journal of MDFIRE2024

Where are you and where are you going?
wolf

Re: Journal of MDFIRE2024

Post by wolf »

1) About 2 months ago I started with a daily journal about my (small) moments of successes of the day, lessons learned, gratitude, ideas. My daily journal is therefore structured into four parts. It helps me to stay organized and write it in an structured manner. Therefore I don't get lost in the "way" how to write it and therefore I can completely focus on the experiences, feelings and thoughts. I do write one page (DINA4) each day. It is part of my daily routine and I am very thankful for the insights of it. As I said it began about 2 months ago with this structured daily journal.

2) About 2 weeks ago I also started some kind of reviewing. I try to write >500 words each day about topics I am interested in. I combined my goal to write >500 words with my journal-review. Well, since then I review my journal. I go back exactly 1 month in my daily journal and review what I thought on that day. For example: Today (10.September) I am going to review my journal entry from last month (10.August). I am going to re-read my journal from back then and review what most mattered to me on that day. Then I pick about 1-3 topics I want to write about. I start writing and just write. I don't even count the words, but I am sure that I write more than 500 words about the topics.

3) That journal-review gives me some insights. I can see changes, developments, ... since then. I can see what has changed or what has stayed the same. I can even combine my present thoughts from today with what I wrote about 1 month ago and can generate new ideas. (lateral thinking). My unstructed writing process helps me to get into a "flow state/mode". Ideas come just naturally to my mind when I just write.
What I also understand is, that there can be huge changes only within 1 months. I see differences and the potential that holds each day. If we are able to develop within 30 days, what is then possible within 365 days?

4) Another great benefit I become aware of is that my journal(-review) let me focus on the positive things and moments of life. I am trying to focus and concentrate on the positive aspects of it. I want to outnumber my negative moments with my positive thoughts at least 5:1. Because negative feelings weighs more on us, I find it important to see the many positive (sometimes small) things in life. Each day is precious. Since starting my daily journal (-review) I am aware of that even more than before.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Hello and thanks for stopping by my journal. Your four-part journal sounds like a useful vehicle for personal growth. Especially the reviewing which is something I have not tried.

I hear you on life being precious. It seems to go by so fast. A journal sounds like a great way to capture those moments.

wolf

MDFIRE-Simulation, diet, meeting someone

Post by wolf »

Hi Folks,

this time I'd like to share some thoughts of the following topics:
1) MDFIRE-Simulation in my 3 week vacation
2) starting a new diet
3) meeting someone

1) MDFIRE-Simulation
One week ago my three week vacation started. I will have another two weeks left. As I already did in July, I use this time off work in order to simulate an MDFIRE-Lifestyle. Therefore I don't travel and stay at home. I'd like to get more insights how a RE-lifestyle feels. Today is my second day without any community or connection to other people. Last week I stayed at my sister's place and visited my parents. Today I gotta say, that being alone all the time is really different than being at works with colleagues. I do feel some loneliness after two days without connecting to other people. From the great book "How to retire happy, wild and free" I have learned that there are three main aspects for retirement: purpose, community and structure. These days all these three aspects are missing in my life. I wake up in my bed and thought: What should I do all day? Usually I go to work on monday mornings. At work I experience community, structure and purpose. My lessons learned here is, that I have to care about those aspects in retirement! But there are not only negative aspects to my MDFIRE-Simulation. I really like the free time and the flexibility to do what I want to do. Having all the freedom to choose from options is great. I can better arrange my plans to circumstances, e.g. weather, ....Let's see how the next two weeks are going to be in my MDFIRE-Simulation-Lifestyle.

2) Starting a new diet
When I have been staying at my sister's place I read the book "How not to die" from Dr. Greger. It is all about minimizing the risks of diseases by eating healthy. Dr. Greger is famouse for his "daily dozen". He also started the website nutruitonfacts.org. If anybody is interested in a wholesome plant-based diet I can strongly recommend reading this book. His "daily dozen" contains:
- beans, lentils, ...
- berries
- other fruits
- cruciferous
- greens
- other vegetables
- flaxseeds
- nuts
- spices
- whole grains
- beverages
- exercice
I found out that the wholesome plant-based diet by Dr. Greger is totally aligned to my ERE-lifestyle and -goals. Again, I can recommend that book, if you want to find out more about reducing the risk of diseases etc.

3) meeting someone
I have met a woman, whom I feel attracted to. We went in the same school and she texted me a few weeks ago. I have met her three times so far. I guess she has a INFP personality. Btw I am INTJ, but trying to develop more into INFJ. Well, talking with her is really great. But as I have read before here in this forum talking about ERE-topics could be difficult. I mentioned "Simple Living" and she just said, that she heard about it once. Although I think that she is not aware of ERE, FIRE, Minimalism, personal finance, her lifestyle is individualistic and frugal. What attracts me is her high level about feelings and intuition in other people. Regarding decision making I guess she is quite the opposite from myself: Thinking versus Feeling. But we do share the same level on intuition. So far she has not seen how I live. She knows that I live carfree. But what will she thinks if she finds out that e.g. I cut my hair by myself, don't use a fridge, safe energy/power extremely, try to reduce waste as much as possible, ... Well, I am really curious what she has to say about my ERE-lifestyle. Either way, I won't mention ERE in particular, because living ERE is not about the money. I figured out that money is "only" a by-product of ERE and a means to an end (satisfied life).

So far, everything is OK. :-)

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

I have met a woman, whom I feel attracted to.
Good luck with the woman. I think you are being very self conscious, which is ok. According to Dr Jordan Peterson, and my experience concurs with him-
Men have an image of feminine perfection, in their mind, which is almost divine, that they use to inspire themselves, across cultures. This image of an ideal woman, which is again, all in their head, is a judgemental ideal. Men are terrified of the judgements she can pass.

As you get to know this particular woman, you will learn to dissociate her from the image of divine perfection, in order to build a relationship with her.
But what will she thinks if she finds out that e.g. I cut my hair by myself
If she finds out and objects/comments/disapproves, then you can have your love interest cut your hair for you. That way she'll never have a problem with your haircut when she does it herself. :)
Example, Forum Fuhrer's gf used to cut his hair.

Viktor K

Post by Viktor K »

As for the things missing in your ERE-test run, try to develop them now before you're ERE. You have less than 7 years now to do so, but that is plenty of time. Find a daily purpose outside of work, and reach out to communities you may be interested in so that you can have established networks when you quit your job. With these two things already established and your personality type, I think the third concept, structure, will be easy to develop shortly after you quit.

Congratulations on meeting a girl. That too can add a lot to the "community" aspect, in my opinion. A good group of friends and a satisfying relationship may be enough.

Also, if she's the right one, she won't care about your lifestyle choices, but rather she will simply accept them. Whether or not she embraces them, and whether or not you accept/embrace her decision to do so or her decision to not do so, will be on you.

wolf

Post by wolf »

fiby41 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:03 am
As you get to know this particular woman, you will learn to dissociate her from the image of divine perfection, in order to build a relationship with her.
...then you can have your love interest cut your hair for you. That way she'll never have a problem with your haircut when she does it herself. :)
Thank you fiby41 for your reply and ideas. I have thought about idealization already and you have confirmed it. This will be a challenge, because I like to see the world in a perfectionistic view. I am trying to see it realistically and keep down my high standards and expectations.
Viktor K wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:07 am
Find a daily purpose outside of work, and reach out to communities you may be interested in so that you can have established networks when you quit your job. With these two things already established and your personality type, I think the third concept, structure, will be easy to develop shortly after you quit.
Also to you Victor K: Thank you for your reply. Structure is the easiest one for me. Community the most difficult one. Purpose comes with doing, IMO. I haven't found something outside of work which gives me deep purpos, but I also haven't looked hard enough for it or haven't tried something like volunteering, ... My work occupies me a lot, so therefore I don't feel that I need something big outside of work. I should probably look for something that gives me a feeling for community AND purpose outside of work. Any recommendations, experiences or ideas?

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

TomBombadil wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:04 pm
MDFIRE2024 wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:19 pm
- The Meditations of Marcus Aurelius
https://standardebooks.org/ebooks/?query=aurelius
I'm currently reading Walden from standard ebooks. The Meditations are already on my reader, though I did not start yet :)
Here is the link to ERE book club discussion of Meditations: https://forum.earlyretirementextreme.co ... =13&t=5632

Here is the link to forum thread on Walden:
https://forum.earlyretirementextreme.co ... 1&start=25

It's interesting how different take-aways different people have from reading the same books.

Viktor K

Post by Viktor K »

You like to hike and mountain bike. How often do you do these things and who do you do them with? In the US, I've always found hikers to be a nice bunch with a good sense of community. Also, I imagine you'll eventually have a long-term relationship which makes a difference. Purpose is much more difficult and more personal, I think. My girlfriend and I talked about it, and we imagined a future you that has a local hiking and biking group of outdoorsy people that meet up on the weekends (since they'd presumably be working lifers), while you train for blended travel/hiking goals like climbing Mount Fuji.

wolf

Post by wolf »

Viktor K wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:31 pm
You like to hike and mountain bike. How often do you do these things and who do you do them with? In the US, I've always found hikers to be a nice bunch with a good sense of community. Also, I imagine you'll eventually have a long-term relationship which makes a difference. Purpose is much more difficult and more personal, I think. My girlfriend and I talked about it, and we imagined a future you that has a local hiking and biking group of outdoorsy people that meet up on the weekends (since they'd presumably be working lifers), while you train for blended travel/hiking goals like climbing Mount Fuji.
You do have a good point. :-) Usually I hike and montain bike alone.
But recently I went hiking three times with that girl I mentioned and I totally loved it. I liked being in nature AND having a meaningful conversation at the same time. As you mentioned a hiking group or companions could be also good. I gotta think this through. I have to find ways how I get to know hiking people.
At the same time I do train hiking and set hiking goals. I exercise hiking with weight. My mid-term goal is: Being able to hike about 13 kilometres with 12 kilogramm weight (which is about 20% of my personal weight). I want to achieve this in order to be / stay fit for hiking/trekking vacations.

wolf

Post by wolf »

My Asset Allocation posted here
MDFIRE2024 wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:14 am
My overall asset allocation is:
1) Bonds (20%)
2) Equities (60%)
3) Real Assets (20%)

I try to diversify as much as possible and build in many uncorrelated assets.

My second principle is to diversify between regions
50% developed markets
50% emerging markets
I apply this share to bonds and equities, because I think in the long-term emerging markets will have much more influence in the world economy than today. And I live in a developed country (real estate, social security, income by paid job) therefore I want to diversify here as best as possible.

My third principle is to diversify within the equity market, such as:
50% Small and Mid Cap
50% Big Cap

For Real Assets I diversify:
10% basket of commodities
10% precious metal (Gold, Silver, mining companies)

When include my portfolio asset allocation with my total networth assets (real estate, social security, income by paid job) I do get a roughly share of
80% developed markets
20% emerging markets.
If I view my total networth like this, I am satisfied with risks, return, share btw. DM/EM, ...

Bankai

Post by Bankai »

Hi MDFIRE2024, very nice journal!

We also follow WFPB diet for a year now with my wife and it's been fantastic. By February (last time I checked) my total cholesterol went down to 157. The only part I struggle with a bit is eating enough beans - Greger recommends about 400g of cooked beans a day which is A LOT! So I just eat more of whole grains instead. I also found updating the app daily helps with focus - I generally try to get at least 22/24 each day while also not eating anything unhealthy (like sat. fats or highly processed foods). Do you also follow an intermittent fasting pattern of eating or do you eat throughout the day?

wolf

Post by wolf »

Bankai wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:46 am
Hi MDFIRE2024, very nice journal!
Do you also follow an intermittent fasting pattern of eating or do you eat throughout the day?
Thank you Bankai.

I try to eat beans everyday, but I don't aim for 400g p.d. Usually I eat 100g beans p.d.
Regarding intermittent fasting: I stick to two meals a day. Usually I have my warm lunch between 11-13 o'clock. In the evening I eat a musli with soy milk... So, I do intermittent fasting from around 6PM to 11AM. In the morning untill 11AM I drink a lot of green tea, around 2 litres. That helps my digestion and fills my stomache, so I don't feel any need to eat something. It works fine for me, but I haven't noticed any weight loss so far, because I have started this diet about 2 weeks ago. I also don't aim for any weight loss. Just want to eat healthy, do my body and mind something good. :-)

frugal

Post by frugal »

Hi

What will you do after ERE?

During days...

Regards.

wolf

Post by wolf »

frugal wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:06 am
What will you do after ERE?
I assume with ERE you mean "retired early". For me ERE is much more than only being "early retired". ERE is my current lifestyle with system-thinking, web-of-goals, reducing waste, improve efficiency, learning, personal development, Win-Win-situation, DIY, etc...

Anyway, when I'm "retired early" my casual day consists of:
1) activities I already do: journaling, nature, hiking, mountainbiking, going for a walk, reading, DIY-stuff, family, friends, learning, ...
2) trying new activities, hobbies, etc.

Additional to that I am going to work on my ULAL (Ultimate-Life's-Adventure-List based on "How to retire happy, wild and free"), e.g. long-term traveling, volunteering, living abroad for some weeks/months, living at some special places (mountains, coast, city, ...), long-term hiking, part-time work, ...

This year I had already a three-week-long FIRE-simulation-phase during my vacation. Currently I am in my second three-week-long FIRE-simulation-phase. I stay at home and experience how it is to be "retired early". These two FIRE-simulations has given me many insights. I already know that I can fill my day with current and new activities. Structure is my least problem. Purpose and Community is more difficult to accomplish for me with my free time. I am confident, that I can also improve on the two topics (purpose and community) within the next few years.

In the last weeks and months I have discovered that I need to create and maintain my ERE-Lifestyle in line with my goals, life values, ... I don't wait for DayX. I want to live now. If I can live happy and authentically with my current lifestyle, I will not have any fears that I can do it also in a few more years. Next year for example I want to try some ULAL-prototypes, e.g. hiking for three weeks or living in a cabin in the Alps. But, maybe life is difficult next year and I have to adapt. Who knows? I do know that ERE and Antifragility and Adaptability help me to manage many circumstances and changes in life. So, therefore I don't plan my "retired early"-lifestyle too much. I changed and learned to focus more on the presence and my current lifestyle, which is based on ERE, Financial Independence and personal life satisfaction.

frugal

Post by frugal »

hi,

do you have kids? Or will you have? What will you teach them?

Before I had the desire to ER but now after some years I feel that work is needed, And here part-time I don't think it exists.

I like sports, family and not much more.

Too much time at home can be sad.

Regards.

wolf

Post by wolf »

frugal wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:03 pm
do you have kids? Or will you have? What will you teach them?
If I ever have kids, I will teach them as best as I could about living.

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

frugal wrote:
Before I had the desire to ER but now after some years I feel that work is needed, And here part-time I don't think it exists.

Word life.

frugal

Post by frugal »

fiby41 wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:23 am
frugal wrote:

Word life.
Please explain.

I couldnt understand.

tks

wolf

my ERE-lifestyle with cost influencing topics

Post by wolf »

I want to give an overview about my ERE-lifestyle with cost influencing topics.
In some of my next posts, I am going to show my 12-month average rolling cost. Then you can compare a bit and have a reference. I think the list of my ERE-lifestyle is mainly for ERE-newbies to give an overview and inspiration. But all feedback is appreciated!

Housing:
- I live in my own apartement outside of a city
- On average I use my dish washer every 3 three weeks, when all plates are used
- On average I use my washing machine every 3 three weeks
- I don't have a dryer
- There is a fridge in my kitchen, but I don't use it. I store food in the cellar or on the balcony
- Very seldomly I use heating when it is cold outside
- I use sunlight as much as possible for activities that need light, e.g. reading a book, ...
- Therefore I use my laptop and TV mostly in the mornings or evenings when it is darker
- I only switch the light on in the room if I am in there
- My average electric power consumption is about 200kwh (no heating or hot water included)
- I try to reduce my water usage as much as possible

Mobility:
- I don't have a car. I commute by bike to work (one way 15km)
- In January and February, when it is really cold and snowy, I use public transportation

Food:
- I eat a wholesome, plantbased diet (very seldomly I eat meat or cheese...)
- I buy fresh food regurlarly
- I only drink tap water or most of the time green tea
- I buy my green tea in whole leaves in big bags (1kg)
- Most of the food (beside fresh one) I buy in bulk
- I optimized my recipes that I only need one pan/pot for cooking
- I do intermittent fasting, which means I only eat for lunch and dinner (no breakfast and no snacks)
- I don't buy sweets in the supermarket because I don't eat any, because of the sugar

Leisure:
- I use a internet connection
- My mobile phone contract is flexible. I only pay what I use
- I borrow books and magazines from the library
- Very seldomly I buy books. When I buy, I try to buy used ones
- I don't subsribe any newspaper. I avoid news as much as possible.
- I don't buy any movies and I don't go into the cinema. Instead I wait till they are shown in the free TV. (but I don't have pay-TV)
- Very seldomly I buy a series, which really interest me
- I have bought my favourite music, therefore I don't subscribe or stream any music flatrate
- I do: reading, mountainbiking, writing, journaling, exercices at home, meditating, watching movies in TV, watching series on DVD, internet, hiking, visiting family and friends
- I don't go to cafes and I don't buy snacks or drinks to go
- I don't go to clubs any more and very seldomly to bars
- I very seldomly go to restaurants or buy street/fast food

Personal Finances:
- I have three insurances: life, accident and travel
- My bank account doesn't cost me anything
- I don't have any mortgages, loans, credits and I don't want any of it ever

Buying things, gadgets, electronics:
- I buy high quality and durable shoes and clothing, which I wear around 5-10 years
- I use my laptop and smartphone for about 3-5 years. Then I try to buy used ones again.
- I plug off / switch off every electronic gadget in my apartement when I don't use it. (never standby)
- My apartement and facility is based on the principle "as simple and (multi)functional as possible"
- If something breaks down, I try to repair it first
- I don't go shopping and I try to avoid advertisements (especially in TV) as much as possible
- If I can browse or watch something on my smartphone instead on my laptop I do it, because of the less electric power consumption

Other:
- I cut my hair by myself

The many "I don't"s seem very restrictive, but because of my ERE-lifestyle I feel very free and independent. Of course you understand, but I wanted it to say for new ERE members. As Jacob stated many times it is possible to live with almost the same quality of life, but with a fraction of the average household expenses in a country. I have understood and learned that it is possible by using System-Thinking, Web-of-Goals, ... It is so liberating... :D Thank you Jacob!

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

frugal wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:43 pm
Please explain.
Word life is similar to saying true that. It means the words you have said have been found out to be true by me in my own life.