Journal of MDFIRE2024

Where are you and where are you going?
5to9

Re: Journal of MDFIRE2024

Post by 5to9 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:11 pm

Great Journal so far! I love all the different ways of calculating and visualizing progress you've got in here. Definitely going to think about taking some of them up.

Forskaren

Post by Forskaren » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:21 pm

Germany seem to be in fourth place when it comes to local purchasing power. Very good place to live in.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/r ... ountry.asp

Of course the average does not tell the whole story. If you not buying and earning like the average person, the story can be different. But, generally I think it is easier to make smart choices and avoid poor ones if you are very familiar with the country. In a new country you will probably be at a disadvantage when it comes to finding good choices.

MDFIRE2024

Post by MDFIRE2024 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:03 am

@Forskaren
Yes, I think so too, that it would be difficult for me to make good choices in another country, if I am not familiar with it. Although I have traveled much in the last decade, I don't think I am prepared to live in another country without good preparation. Recently I have thought about living as an expat or moving to another country in order to live and work there. To be honest, I like it (currently) very much in Germany and where I live and where I work. That makes it hard to decide against it. Maybe it is some kind of home-bias, because I mainly trust these indeces (Quality of Life, Expat Insider, Better Life, ...) Well, long story short: I am familiar with my country in many aspects therefore I make good decisions. Have you ever lived or worked outside of Sweden? Is working abroad almost the same as working in your homecountry, I wonder? Of course living abroad, would be totally different. I have seen as a statistic that Sweden has also a very high rate of single-households, as does Germany. I think you and me "sit in the same boot". :-)

Bankai

Post by Bankai » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:11 am

ERE person will surely find out the cheapest/optimal groceries, rental and transportation fairly easy. Things get a bit more difficult when dealing with healthcare, schools, and bureaucracy. Here, the knowledge of local language is crucial. In the beginning, it might be a bit difficult and one might want to use the help of a local, or just use the internet a lot. But chances are, by the time you actually need to deal with something difficult, your language will be good enough for the task. I'm only speaking from experience of moving to the UK, which is certainly a hassle-free country to live in. The farther away one moves from one own's culture, the more difficult this might potentially be. However, open-mindedness is a great ally. Also, when you moved and lived in another country once, it's likely to be much easier to do it again.

MDFIRE2024

SavingRate Index per country (FI achievability)

Post by MDFIRE2024 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:55 pm

Together with ideas and inspirations and equations from fish and jacob (THANK YOU both!), I have created several indizes for comparing countries regarding how easy/difficult it is to achieve a high Saving Rate for the average person/household. Just wanted to post it also in my journal because I have invested quite some time during the last few days. It was challenging, insightful and fun! If you have further ideas about that topic, feel free to share your ideas and post it over there: Influencing factors of the best country to accumulate FI money and RE?

MDFIRE2024

Lessons Learned of my three day stay in a hospital

Post by MDFIRE2024 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:53 am

Today I have been released from the hospital after three days and two nights. I was in there in order to start a basic immunization against my allergy. In total I got nine injections. Everything was ok in the end, but I was horrified from the usual days in the hospital. I couldn't go outside. I had to stay inside. I didn't bring my laptop. I only read an ebook, listened to an audiobook and wrote things into my daily journal.
There was a thread when jacob said, that one of the worst things is when you are dependend on medicine because of health. As I have experienced the hospital and my dependence during the last three days, I understand it now even better.
Being and staying healthy is one of my top priorities. The treatment in the the hospital confirmed that very much. Luckily I am not dependent on medicine or the hospital right now. And I do everything that I am not going to be in the next few years/decades. So, if there is a lessons learned here. Do everything in order to avoid the dependence to medicine or hospitals. It would have a negative effect on the life quality. Well, my treatment against that allergy has only begun. I have to get an injection every four weeks now for the next three years. I do that, because there is the chance that my allergy will improve and weaken. I trade short-term pain (next three years) for long-term health (weaker allergy in the next ten years).
My routine helped my to stay sane in the hospital, e.g. reading, writing, looking into nature, listening to music, walking around, meditating, etc... If you ever have to stay in a hospital for a few days, make sure to bring something with you in order to avoid boredom. Next time I am going to bring my laptop with me.

Viktor K

Post by Viktor K » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:50 am

Glad you're out and about. After spending the last (nearly) 4 weeks sick with a sinus infection (could have been cured sooner by going to the doctor earlier), I feel you on staying able and out of bed rest.