frosti85 ERE journal.

Where are you and where are you going?
Frosti85

Re: frosti85 ERE journal.

Post by Frosti85 »

My target for end of 2018 is to have 50000€ savings, ~4 years of expenses.
And to be completely debt free (have a 30000€ mortgage still open)

wolf

Post by wolf »

Frosti85 wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:03 am
...so in my mind I see it as a breakup)
...I started to meditate daily, and it helps me a lot (to break the cycle of negative thinking),
and I'm immersing myself in stoic philosophy to become more resilient, I really want to beat my depression and change
my personality.
Hi Frosti.
Sorry to read about your struggles with your girlfriend. Take care of yourself! Don't get depressed. If you feel bad, you won't do you any good.
About Stoic: There is currently a free Stoic Week with much material and information. You can enroll, if you like. You can find it here.
http://modernstoicism.com/
And...good to hear from you in your journal. I wondered already if everything is ok. Stick to your ERE path. Freedom comes from within.

Frosti85

Post by Frosti85 »

Update:

I decided to do a half-ERE instead of full ERE.

Next month I will start working only 25 hours / week (3 days)

I will still make enough money for a savings rate of 50%

This makes more sense to me than to continue working full time for 6-7 years and then stop working.
(also I don't trust the investment markets that they will provide a high enough return in the future anyways)

I think this will feel MUCH better than now. I think I won't mind working 3 days because I will have more than enough free time.

In the free time I want to study, but I'm not sure what: computer science, math or physics.

I want a degree because I play with the idea to move to new zealand later in my life, and it's a lot easier to immigrate if you have a degree.

math is something that I'm very interested in (also physics) and has the advantage that I don't have to go to university to study
it (because internet universities offer it)
the computer science degree I could get with little effort, because I already know most of the topics.

Also I will have more time for my hobbies (reading a LOT, computer gaming, being outside in nature)

wolf

Post by wolf »

Hi Frosti85. How are you? I haven't heard and seen anything from you in the last couple of weeks. I just want to ask how you like your part-time job? And besides work, what do you do in your free time? "Reading, computer gaming, being outside in nature" like you said? Ahh, and btw I changed my username from MDFIRE2024 to wolf.

Astra

Post by Astra »

I'm interested to hear how your studies and half-ERE are going.

Can you study Math alone? I only know people who paired it with something else (Hauptfach/Nebenfach) like Physics, Computer Science or even Philosophy (the latter gives it an interesting meta spin, strong on logic).

wolf

Post by wolf »

Frosti85 wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:28 am
I decided to do a half-ERE instead of full ERE.
Next month I will start working only 25 hours / week (3 days)
Hi Frosti85. How are you? Are you still working part-time? Looking forward to hear from you. I am interested how things have changed in my neighbor country Austria. Hope you are ok.