classical_Liberal's Semi-ERE

Where are you and where are you going?
7Wannabe5

Re: classical_Liberal's Semi-ERE

Post by 7Wannabe5 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:51 am

I am sure I have mentioned it repeatedly elsewhere on this forum, but I highly recommend "Personal Village: How to Have People in Your Life by Choice , Not Chance", by Marvin Thomas. The author is an engineer turned therapist, so he offers very practical advice on the topic.

Given your overall preference for mobile, minimalist lifestyle, I think what you might have to do in order to maintain long-term friendships is establish a 3rd place, and take responsibility for establishing tradition of inviting people to join you there. For example, rent the same cabin in the woods for the first week in July every year, and keep inviting everybody who does show up, and then invite extras to fill in for absences and attrition.

trailblazer

Post by trailblazer » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:29 pm

classical_Liberal wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:40 am
I wonder what this says about my life? The importance of work in social relationships in general?
Most friendships probably aren't created just because you happened to pitch your tent next to someone while hiking the Appalachian Trail, or bumped into them in a youth hostel in Thailand, and magically hit it off.

When I think of my friends that don't derive from work (a very small percentage), even these typically come from some sort of purposeful situation such as an extended volunteer project or being in a school-related group/team of some sort.

I guess the basic lesson is never stop "working" . . . you can stop paid employment but need to be engaged in purposeful activity of some sort.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:21 am

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:51 am
Given your overall preference for mobile, minimalist lifestyle, I think what you might have to do in order to maintain long-term friendships is establish a 3rd place, and take responsibility for establishing tradition of inviting people to join you there.
This is actually a fabulous idea! When I'm honest with myself, one of the major reasons a mobile lifestyle was so appealing in the beginning was the idea I could go and hang out with family and friends who have dispersed across the country for extended periods of time. Of course it didn't really materialize how I had thought, mainly because I followed the money trail instead.

The only obstacle to such a thing is the cost (for myself to putting it together and for others to travel there), but I'm sure I can piece together an efficient way of doing something like this. Since many of my family is still Midwest based, simply choosing to live in a warmer winter climate for Jan or February would really have the potential getting folks to come and visit.

I also plan on reading the book recommendation, thanks.
trailblazer wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:29 pm
Most friendships probably aren't created just because you happened to pitch your tent next to someone while hiking the Appalachian Trail, or bumped into them in a youth hostel in Thailand, and magically hit it off.
Yeah, I'm not quite that idealistic. But I think more friendships should be based on things a bit deeper than, "he sits next to me at work". I think it's a cultural metric. In the US (particularly urban/suburban), we value work and income generation, not necessarily value generation (although one could argue they are closely related in capitalism). In cultures who value family more, extended family form the basis of close social networks, etc.

I guess I'm not judging, just a bit surprised because I thought my values weren't quite so work-centric. In evaluating my friendships, I think I was being dishonest with myself. It's important to know such things if I am planning on scaling back that part of my life. ie what holes will I need to fill and how deep have they been dug?

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:06 am

I was lucky enough to get introduced to triathlon (by a corworker, LOL), and am now in a team/training group of 200+ local athletes. Just in that group I've made 4-5 closer friends over the past 3 years.

Then there is MTBing, I've been some super cool people through group rides. You get invited to a ride, or invite someone new, and when you spend 1-2 hours at a time in the woods together, you get to know people pretty well. You are also supporting each other through some physically and technically challenging activities so there is that bond of a common goal.

I think I notice a pattern that friendships form as the result of repeated interaction, which can be difficult when you are always on the move. I think after periods of perpetual travel, having a home base to return to where you have a strong social network can bring meaningful life satisfaction. After all, what good is such a diverse life if you have no one to share it with?

Jin+Guice

Post by Jin+Guice » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:25 pm

I just finished reading through your whole journal over the past week and a half. After your comments in my journal and in other threads I realized that we were likely on similar paths and we are. I currently work in the medical field as well although I am a contractor/ technician in the OR. I am PRN, down from being part-time in training and I'm extremely happy I made this decision. I am also pursuing semi-ERE and not ERE. I consider myself already semi-retired, though I do not draw down on my investments and am still technically in the accumulation phase.

My initial comments on your journal are this:

1) You are really hard on yourself. You are doing a great job man! You have so much money saved and a job that you seem to really like and a girlfriend you seem to really like. You seem to be mad at yourself for trying out so many careers but I think this is a good thing. You can never be 100% happy with anything but it seems like you've found something you really like. At the same time, you shouldn't assume you're tied to it forever.

2) In the past you have repeatedly asked for folks to be critical of your semi-ERE plans because they aren't conservative enough. I'm not a good person to ask for this kind of critique, but I feel you are being way to conservative. You are really close to that $250,000 goal, which is a huge milestone, and if that is mentally important to you (not a criticism, I like round numbers too so I'd try to hit it as long as you'd hit it in the next year), I'd wait until you cross it. OTOH, you have a ton of money for semi-ERE. The real freedom is the ability to work 20h a week for $15/h (I'm guessing if you keep RNing your payrate will be much higher), and cover your expenses. I think you are in much greater danger of burn out than running out of financial resources. Inertia is also powerful. Jacob has talked about the difficulty for many in actually drawing down on their portfolio. I'd say the same for a reduction in SR and moving from full-time to part-time. This is something I struggle with too.

3) How is your current goal of $1,500/ month going? I did think your previous spending seemed a bit high before but this is a very personal thing and also relies on my frame of reference. From your 2017 budget your food and entertainment expenditures and gf expenses are the areas I would focus on most, it seems like you had the same idea. Is it possible/ desirable for you to go car free? It's much easier to spend less when you work less.

I'm bummed to see that you were in NOLA for Mardi Gras, I would've loved to engage in some frugal debauchery together. Astute observation about the libertarianism, I often refer to New Orleans as the libertarian's paradise, which confuses everyone because we are one of the bluest cities in America. If you ever come back hit me up.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:46 pm

@Jin+Guice
Thanks for reading! I have felt the same way regarding similar paths. The biggest distinction being you realized early on it was just fine to live an unconventional lifestyle and not give a flying f**k about expectations of others/society. I've taken a much more meandering route to the same realization.
Jin+Guice wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:25 pm
1) You are really hard on yourself...
This may be true. You are very correct, I have a pretty damned good life. I think the biggest criticism of myself at this moment is not being able to appreciate it as much as I should. I believe I was relying on this nebulous future of having much more freedom/free-time as a solution for my relative discontentment. Now that it's quickly approaching, I'm realizing it's not going to be a cure-all, so I'm focusing more on the psychological issues (like the recent focus on social-life). There will be more to come on this in future entries.
Jin+Guice wrote:
2) In the past ...
I agree with almost everything here, except for the too conservative part :D. You are particularly spot on with the assessment in that I'm at a much higher risk of burning out on nursing than I am of running out of money. Also that its so easy to fund a great lifestyle.

I think the greatest issue I run into is the fear I'll enjoy doing nothing too much, burn through too much capital, and end up cash poor in older age when it's much harder to keep earning. The reality is that if I spend years doing nothing, a requirement to burn through all that capital, I'll likely end up isolated and depressed. Humans need purpose and need to be productive. So maybe if I address some of the issues causing my current discontentment as discussed above, I'll have less fear of falling into the "do nothing trap". At least that's my current theory. 8-)

In any event, you make a great point. It will be a huge (or Yuge) mentality shift moving from high SR to low or negative. I should probably find a way to prep myself for that as well. Any suggestions?
Jin+Guice wrote:
3) How is your current goal of $1,500/ month going?...
The spending is going well, I'm below that number now on 12-mo rolling. Since moving in with the GF, my core living expenses have dropped to about 1K/mo. I still thoroughly waste another 3-400/mo on food upgrades, convenience, and travel though. All my calculations for semi-ERE run a 20k annual spend rate, which is now almost 20% above rolling 12-mo average. I'm not going to mess with any projections until i have a full year of semi-ERE under my belt. Spending reduction seems to be on autopilot for the moment. In August I spent $300 on a pricey weekend getaway for the GF's Bday and still came in at around $1100. Not sure how it keeps going down, but the likelihood I'm overestimating my future expenses continues to rise.

Regarding the car (I know you hate them)... I only drive about 25-50 miles/mo when excluding the miles I have to drive traveling to a new city for work assignment or when I go on leisure related road trips. I really enjoy road trips and car camping, so the car is mainly an entertainment expense. I bought the vehicle 10 years used 3 years ago. I put some sweat equity into it, subsequently got rear-ended by a D-bag driving a huge Tahoe. The insurance payout was more than I had into the car and it's still perfectly drivable, so it's worth way more to me than I could get selling it.

Given my current mobile lifestyle I plan to drive this one into the ground (probably have 40-50K of relatively trouble free miles left), then reevaluate based on life style. If I'm stationary in a big city, I'll likely go car-free, but there is also the possibility that my next vehicle purchase will double as part-time housing as well.
Jin+Guice wrote:
I'm bummed to see that you were in NOLA for Mardi Gras, I would've loved to engage in some frugal debauchery together.
I can virtually guarantee i'll be in NOLO again. I really liked it! Although I bet I wouldn't love the summer heat. When i'm in town I'll definitely hit you up, i'd love a tour by a local.

Curious given your description... are you a Surg Tech? That's what my GF does for a living.

Jin+Guice

Post by Jin+Guice » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:25 pm

classical_Liberal wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:46 pm
The biggest distinction being you realized early on it was just fine to live an unconventional lifestyle and not give a flying f**k about expectations of others/society. I've taken a much more meandering route to the same realization.

I got lucky in this vein. Honestly, it came from a place of pretty deep unhappiness and not finding many people with whom I could identify until after college.
classical_Liberal wrote:
I was relying on this nebulous future of having much more freedom/free-time as a solution for my relative discontentment. Now that it's quickly approaching, I'm realizing it's not going to be a cure-all, so I'm focusing more on the psychological issues (like the recent focus on social-life). There will be more to come on this in future entries.
This is what I'm currently dealing with, having traded a high savings rate for more freedom now. Now that I'm in charge of the majority of my time, how should I best use it? I have a second scarcely paid job as a musician/ producer and lots of other interests (especially since getting into ERE) so time allocation is still a major problem for me, but doing nothing isn't a risk. Changing from paid work to 100% free-time is a major change and I feel like this problem isn't addressed super well in the FIREsphere! Maybe these bastard INTJs have it all figured out from the start, but I certainly don't.
classical_Liberal wrote:
In any event, you make a great point. It will be a huge (or Yuge) mentality shift moving from high SR to low or negative. I should probably find a way to prep myself for that as well. Any suggestions?
I don't have much experience here, my savings rate continues to go up every year despite my efforts to work less, but I've only been saving for 3 years. IMO, Mad FIentist does the best job of addressing the shift from a positive to negative savings rate as well as the abundance of free-time acquired post FI. If you're only semi-retiring you should still have a positive savings rate, right? I think semi-retiring/ going PT/ PRN will be a helpful way to ease the transition.
classical_Liberal wrote:
I can virtually guarantee i'll be in NOLO again. I really liked it! Although I bet I wouldn't love the summer heat. When i'm in town I'll definitely hit you up, i'd love a tour by a local.

Curious given your description... are you a Surg Tech? That's what my GF does for a living.
It's hot af right now and it's awful. It's hot for ~6 months, but it's rarely cold in the winter. The start of the summer can be kind of nice, all of the tourists start leaving and the FQ is empty for a bit and it still dips below 80 at night.

I'm not a local, you don't count as a local unless your grandfather's grandfather helped found the city. They are serious about that shit here! I'll give you a tour as a longterm/ permanent tourist :lol: .

I'm a neuromonitoring tech. It's a weird job. I don't really like it, but the $$ is there and the flexibility are untouchable. I also work for a small local company and not for the hospital.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:17 am

@Jin+Guice
For neuro-surg procedures? I've heard of those devices, I forget the acronym. A good, general, point to be made for young aspiring ERE'ers is that there are a literal shit-ton of medical tech related jobs which only require some form of certification (like a year or so of training) and pay pretty darn well. If I had to so it again, I'd probably have gone that route over nursing.

Anyway, per your suggestion I went a read some of MadFIentist articles. I knew that blog existed because I had listened to some of the podcasts before, but never dug any deeper. It's seems he went through a very similar phase I'm in currently in while he was accumulating. Also interesting he came to some of the same conclusions I have been coming to. I guess it's a case of a couple hours reading could have saved me a lot of research... Still, I probably wouldn't have believed him. :lol:

Jin+Guice

Post by Jin+Guice » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:20 pm

@classical_Liberal: Ya it's called IONM and it's pretty much only used for neurosurgery (as well as thyroidectomies). It's crazy how easy it was to get into this, I basically just knew a guy and he got me in with no medical training at all. We took some weird classes in a hotel and then passed a test and now we're "certified" which is the highest level you can be on paper. However, I have struggled harder than I thought I would doing a job which I have no real interest in or "passion" for. I work with nurses everyday and many of them are frustrated but I think, overall, it's a more satisfying profession than what I do.

MadFIentist is great. Jacob and MMM both reached financial independence almost by accident before they started blogging. It's interesting to read the blog of someone who didn't. I also really like the new escapologist magazine that Jacob wrote for a number of years ago. It's a different take on ERE, aside from Jacob's articles they don't really promote retiring early, but otherwise their methods are the same.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:27 pm

9/24/2018

Financials:
YTD Spending: $14,549. 12 month rolling is now just under 18K.

Spending is up a bit because I pre-paid for a few pricey trips. One for a friend’s wedding next month, one for the week of thanksgiving to visit both my and GF’s family, last for my portion of a hotel on a road trip with friends in December. Normally I’d car camp on road trips, but since I’m going with two other guys who’d rather get a hotel, I conceded. These costs are part of a deliberate effort to increased social interactions, read the thoughts section for details.

Housing and car ins are paid through end of year. So, all I have is utilities, cell phone, health insurance for fixed costs. Add to that food and entertainment, I’ll still hit 18K goal even if I spend on those rather liberally.

YTD savings rate: 78.1%
Years saved based on 20K Semi ERE spend: 12.08

Here’s the chart:
I should hit the red line by the end of my current contract in November!

Thoughts:
As my journal entries have probably shown, I’ve recently spent a great deal of time contemplating a design for a Semi-ERE life. The first order of business was to determine why I have been experiencing dysthymia over the past couple of years. Particularly considering how good my life has really become.

Initially, I had assumed this lack of enthusiasm for life was driven by my lack of freedom, ie lack of various forms of capital to feel free to spend time and energy as I wish. This was preceded by lack of knowledge regarding various forms capital and how to utilize them to live life in a well designed system (pre-ERE). So I think my initial assumption was partially based on the all the new knowledge I was gaining after the initial exposure to the thought processes in the ERE book. IOW, it was the topic de jour in my head, ever-present.

Over the past six months, as financial capital portion was nearing a critical mass, I begun to realize my assumption was only partially true. I knew I could literally live a decade or more without earning money. This was a direct result of the combination saved financial capital and skills (reflected in decreased consumption based life, visa vie reduced spend rate). Problem was, I didn’t feel freer or happier. For the record, happiness as I speak of it here is defined as overall contentment, not the day-to day changes we all feel with circumstances.

Clearly, if more feelings of freedom equated to more happiness, I should have felt more-happy. Then it hit me! The problem was, even though I had the finances in order and skills were progressing, I hadn’t actualized any of this new found freedom. It was only potential energy, it needed to be kinetic.

Enter in the official Semi-ERE plan early this year. Once solidified, I had essentially created a cap for needed financial assets to get the ball rolling… I felt better, on a scale of 0-10 (0 suicidal, 5 moderately content, 10 Buddha), happiness went from 2/10 to around 4/10. Even if the end kinetic energy of Semi-ERE bumped me up another number or two, something was still missing.

The second layer of thinking in this process involved my lack of social capital. I used to have it in plenty, today much less so. Although my relationship with the GF has blossomed, I lacked other social connectiveness. I have friends, but few are local, and few do I see regularly. After research and self analysis I began to take action. Although having a dispersed network of good friends is good, it wasn’t satisfying my day-to-day needs.

I’ve never been one that has a hard time socializing, but since my ERE focus I found myself very uninterested in the normal concerns of non-weirdo’s. Also, as my thinking became systems oriented and longer term in nature, I felt taking time to make more superficial friendships in the temporary work assignment locations as wasted effort. To further complicate matters, I often felt exhausted from the forced social interaction my job requires. Not with coworkers so much as with the patients themselves. Again, not because they are all bad people (some are), it’s just when very ill and hospitalized most folks are at the height of physical and emotional neediness. They are exhausting to deal with and leave very little left for anyone else.

This social capital problem was easier to address and I moved quickly since I have historically not had problems in this realm. I simply looked back to a time when I was satisfied and came to a few conclusions. The first, I need to take the time to make local friends. Even without the common interests of the masses (sports, TV shows, etc), most people have their deeper side on an issue or at least one interesting hobby. It’s just a matter of talking to them and learning what/where these things are and form a relationship based on those commonalities. Secondly, I need to design my Semi-ERE in a way that I still have energy to interact with folks outside the workplace. IOW, I have to have less forced interaction with the extremely needy/draining people so that i actually want to spend time with people when they do interesting things.

I have successfully completed the first with several coworkers. The result has been invites to get-together's at pub’s, couples game night, and even a weekend road trip later this year. I’m feeling better, like I have a community here in temp town BFE. This, coupled with some plans with old friends in nearby cities has resulted in happiness bump to maybe 5/10. However, since reigniting my social fire (pun intended), I’ve found I have less left for my patients at work. In the nursing biz this is called Compassion Fatigue. Studies have been done, it’s real, and I am starting to experience it as a second order effect of my social progress.

All of this leads to my current focus. Happiness research shows its very beneficial to feel as if one is making progress in the realm of “purpose”, doubly so if that purpose is altruistic in nature. My “purpose” since 2015 has been job and ERE related. Not bad, both are partially altruist and partially selfish (a good combo I think), but if Semi-ERE is achieved and nursing career is soon to be placed on the “back-burner”, I need suitable replacement(s).

Recently, after coming to this realization, I feel overwhelmed. I’m rapidly reaching a point in which I can choose to design a life however I see fit, It’s all on me. Earning a little money is required, but it’s a single voice in a chorus of things I want to accomplish. How do I design a system that doesn’t exhaust me socially, so I can keep my feeling of community and relationship with GF? Can I be a nurse at all due to these factors? What if I choose unwisely? What do I want to focus on first? What are the specifics of this design? Do I really have the “balls” and self-direction to take this leap?

I’m just not ready. Unless something changes dramatically in the next few weeks, inertia wins the day. I’m going to try to extend my contract another three months into February 2019. Afterall, I’m more content at the moment, 5/10 isn’t bad, and more financial capital is rarely a bad thing… right?

Viktor K

Post by Viktor K » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:28 am

Use those new social connections to bounce ideas off of people. At the very least, conversations help expose you to bad ideas/opinions on what to do. Plus, people like when you open up to them. "I'm a 5/10 on happiness, what can I do to get to a 10/10?" will probably generate a lot of conversation. Also, hopefully 1/10 = suicide was an exaggeration. For me, I think that scenario is more like a -10/10. If it wasn't an exaggeration, I hope you'll seek some help because 2/10 seems too close for comfort.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:57 am

@Viktor
Thanks for reading and the concern.

I didn't put a lot of thought into the scale, perhaps 0=clinically depressed would be a better phrasing. I've had a period or two in my life where I was somewhere between 0.5-1, using clinically depressed as the zero point. I certainly haven't felt that bad for a long time, but certainly not average either, so I think 2/10 is pretty accurate for that period of time.

Regarding talking to friends. It's pretty tough to try and talk to most people about ERE concepts. Happiness in general, I have discussed with my close (close as in the nongeogrphically close) friends in the past. I've gleaned some insight, but I think this stuff is pretty individualized when delving into it more deeply.

Most people's advice about happiness revolves around consumer-type distractions, which is fine, but I'm past the point of that type of advice being helpful. I'm pretty self aware in the know thyself sense. What I'm less good at is putting everything into action in a way that doesn't have too many negative second order effects.

Tangential side note. My medical understanding is that most suicides/attempts are situational depression in nature + Lack of coping mechanisms for the situation. Folks who are clinically depressed rarely have the energy for such a grand plan.

suomalainen

Post by suomalainen » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:57 am

Great post. Your pathways mirror mine in some ways - trying to turn away from a singular focus on FI to take a broader view of what is required for contentment in life. In that sense, FI is more a byproduct of a well-designed life than a purpose in and of itself.

Specific reaction to your post would be the possibility for commiseration with your co-workers on that compassion fatigue piece. But I've found that commiserating with coworkers can be a double edged sword. Sometimes it is helpful in them lifting me up; other times it is not helpful in that they drag me down (and I'm sure they feel the same about me). I guess proper dosage is key.

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:51 pm

Oi, your posts hit home in more ways that you can imagine.

CS

Post by CS » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:20 pm

@CL

I hear you on the struggle to have a life while traveling. Even more so in that your job is much more interactive than mine was. Of course, being a relatively high introvert, the social interaction I got from coworkers was enough. Mostly. I did find local chapters of writing groups that I was already a member of, and found a few new groups, and made some friends that way. So I did find a way to do something I really liked at least part of the week.

Don't think I have any good advice except to confirm it is dang hard. Besides the writer's groups, and some tourist activities, I would binge-watch the few shows I do like for much of the time. At least that wasn't a total waste for me in that my interests include storytelling, and characters, so I could call it research. It helped that I carted my cat around with me - portable loving for the road.

Speaking of which, don't blow off the tourist stuff if you do get a new assignment. I met someone from Singapore on a Boeing tour and have an open offer to come and visit.

I think you have the right idea in extending the assignment. Keep the physical and emotional toll to a minimum (new assignments are an energy drain as you know!) and get it done. You're not far at all.

Honestly, I'd get as close as possible before cutting the cord. It only gets harder. If you are relatively happy where you are, milk it for what's it worth.
--
I almost forgot - you did talk earlier about your fears of burning through capital and also being bored (no purpose). You can start picking/working on your next career - and it can be *anything* just about, since, what, making $500 a month would be enough to put your lifestyle into the kingly way. I mean, if you protect your nut, you don't have to save anymore and you can just live off the new money if you choose. Personally, one of my backup plans is tax-preparer (one of the more desperate ones) if writing doesn't work out. But also, since I don't *need* writing money to eat, I'm also free to work on more speculative writing projects such as my goofy scripts that I love.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:21 am

Your erratic sleep schedule is most likely to blame for lowered mood. I am currently experiencing the same problem due to world's longest peri-menopause, and, like you, I keep attempting to pin it on different situational factors. So, if I were you I would make first semi-retirement priority finding gigs that only require daytime work. (If I was me, I would tape a pack of Estroven Nighttime Formula to my bathroom mirror...(duh!))

Also, still half-talking to myself here, I would note that in my experience moderate exercise of long duration out-of-doors is better correlated with sleep and mood improvement, if not other measures of fitness, than higher intensity exercise indoors. In fact, number one factor to recommend semi-retirement and/or self-employment is it grants you the rare freedom to spend your entire morning just hiking a trail while sipping on coffee. Then if you stop drinking coffee before 4 PM, you fall over like a top around 9 pm and sleep like a breast-milk satiated baby until 5 and then wake up as happy and rearing to enjoy your bright new day as a 3 year old.

prognastat

Post by prognastat » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:14 am

Well outdoor exercise would be enforcing a natural circadian rhythm through experiencing natural sunlight and temperature swings through the day while indoor exercise would not thus assisting in maintaining a regular sleeping schedule. Also the sunlight itself helps regulate mood some too so it helps twice once simply by experiencing the sunlight and then again by improving your sleep schedule which also helps regulate mood.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:13 am

@prognastat:

Interesting note on the temperature swings. I never took that directly into the equation, although it was my stated practice to do it " no matter what the weather-there is no such thing as bad weather only poor choice of clothing" which can obviously vary considerably through the year in Michigan. Makes even more sense, lightbulb moment, given that the only alternate activity that works as well for me is swimming.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:13 pm

Thanks for the thoughtful responses!
suomalainen wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:57 am
FI is more a byproduct of a well-designed life than a purpose in and of itself.
This is really the crux of it. I've read your journal and stayed out of the relationship portions, but I do like JLF's idea about the difference between job, career, mission. By that definition I really haven't had much in the way of careers either, but a whole bunch of missions eventually turning into jobs. Here's a related gem from ego in an old thread:
Ego wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:56 am
I've posted this a couple of times. It is my ideal for polymath/Renaissance man and the basis of my posts above.
https://aeon.co/essays/we-live-in-a-one ... a-polymath
I think there is something to the hypothesis in the link. Probably why so many people tend to go from mission to job, or mission to career.

2Birds1Stone wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:51 pm
Oi, your posts hit home...
We always seem to be on the same page... brother from another mother.

CS wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:20 pm
Don't think I have any good advice except to confirm it is dang hard.
It is, particularly friendships that are deeper. The older I get the more I find myself craving the interactions with folks I've known in other phases of life. There is a real value to reminiscing about the good ole days. It forms some kind of continuity I can't really explain.
CS wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:20 pm
Honestly, I'd get as close as possible before cutting the cord. It only gets harder. If you are relatively happy where you are, milk it for what's it worth.
This, I believe. I think it gets particularly hard in contract or temp gigs. At least someone who has worked at the same job or company for a decade can learn how to navigate the BS and keep dislikes at a minimum. I've very seriously considered trying to push myself into three years or so of FT to try an reach a solid half mil. That should provide pretty decent monetary coverage for the rest of my life. The problem, I'm sure if I work nursing FT that long I'll go into serious f-it mode. If I take some time sooner rather than later, I may be able to reenter the field after a break with renowned vigor. From a part time or intermittent perspective it's hard to beat.

I guess I should look at it as a win-win though. Power through, burn out and have plenty of money, or don't and hopefully have a great potential income source (maybe even a "mission" again at some point) for the next couple of decades. I just suck at making decisions like this.
7Wannabe5 wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:21 am
Your erratic sleep schedule is most likely to blame for lowered mood.
I never even thought of this... It's just such a norm for the medical profession it becomes ubiquitous. My guess is you could be right. I've always been a really shitty sleeper, both falling and staying asleep. The problem is certainly worse alternating sleeping schedules. Unfortunately, there isn't really a way for me to test this until I get some time off. My mood does improve when I take a month off between contracts. Is it the time off, or the normal sleep schedule though? Like so many things, probably a combination.
prognastat wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:14 am
Well outdoor exercise would be enforcing a natural circadian rhythm through experiencing natural sunlight and temperature swings...
Whenever most of my time is spent outside my sleeping is at it's best. Partially because I'm usually doing something very physical, like hikes. Probably partially due to all the natural light/dark ( I usually camp). Again though, this is stuff I can really only experience with extended time off. So I'm not sure if it's the time off and freedom, or if it's the activities themselves. Either way, both you and 7WB5, have given me something to think about regarding my semi-ERE design.

Two things I should add about my personality in general. I've always been the type of person who absolutely hates being tied down to anything. Plans, lifestyle, job, etc. Secondly, I absolutely keep my word when I do commit, even if it's a minor thing. So If I say I'm going to meet up with you Friday night, i'll be there. Hell or high water.

This combination makes for interesting problems. Socially, I hate to commit to plans because then they seem like a chore in my mind. I lose my freedom. I realize most people don't have a problem not following through on commitments, maybe that's why they make so many and I make so few?

This is also a contributing factor to my problem with decision making for semi-ERE. Each choice both opens and closes options for the future. I think I need to somehow train my mind to understand that most choices do not imply permanence. A future with a little potential hypocrisy, or mind changing is just fine. If anyone has ideas/experience with mental exercises that may help with this, i'm all ears.

prognastat

Post by prognastat » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:34 am

As for the getting sunlight, spending time outside and enforcing a more regular sleep rhythm it's something I've only started doing the past year or so and has definitely helped my mood. Not that my mood was ever that bad, but definitely better. Before that I didn't care at all about those things thinking it was silly.