classical_Liberal's Semi-ERE

Where are you and where are you going?
classical_Liberal

Re: classical_Liberal's Semi-ERE

Post by classical_Liberal »

Jin+Guice wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:55 pm
You know I'm against marriage and I am very pleased with my decision to not get married. Good luck to both of you, whatever you decide....Congratulations on quitting your job and good luck in your semi-ERE endeavors.
Thanks! :lol: I knew you'd never approve! This does lead me into asking something I've been wondering for awhile... Are you still with your GF? Feel free not to answer if you wanna keep it private. Stay safe in the storms!
Frugalchicos wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:36 am
Congrats on your decision of quitting your job.
Thanks!
horsewoman wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:55 am
I love this place :)
It is pretty great here! It's needed too. I mean, nothing has materially changed in my life by quitting. I can still go work a nursing contract somewhere if i really want to, it's just now I'm officially an unemployed loser. Which makes me feel kind-of bad for absolutely no good reason. Coming here helps offset that ingrained/trained by society thinking.
ertyu wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:06 am
my favorite part is spelling it w*rk :lol:
Glad this is entertaining ;)

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Congrats on the unemployment! I am interested to see what you get up to next.

Jean

Post by Jean »

Congratulations on your decisions!

Western Red Cedar

Post by Western Red Cedar »

@Cl

I've been following your journey for a while. It looks like you have some big steps in the near future!

I've personally found marriage very rewarding (married 7 years and together 14 years). If you are with the right woman, which it sounds like you are, there is nothing to worry about. Getting married was one of the best decisions of my life.

classical_Liberal

Scott 2 wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:20 pm
Congrats on the unemployment!
Jean wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:44 pm
Congratulations on your decisions!
Thanks guys!
Western Red Cedar wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:00 am
I've been following your journey for a while. It looks like you have some big steps in the near future! Getting married was one of the best decisions of my life.
Thanks for reading and the advice! I read through your new journal. Sounds like you're a great candidate for semi-ERE ;). I look forward to seeing how this plays out for you.

classical_Liberal

Update 9/8/2020

Life & ERE
Well, it’s been a bit of time since I resigned (I'm honestly not sure how much time while I write this 8-), life is rough). While nothing materially changed, because I hadn’t been working since the beginning of May. The decision had brought about quite a bit of anxiety. This anxiety level has been slowly decreasing. Part of this was just the newness of actually being unemployed, part of it was that I knew I had fundamentally made a decision to switch strategies in life.

Even at half-time, I had so much income slack that I could basically do whatever I wanted. This, in concert with treating my time off more as a temporary vacation to recharge for the next work period vs longer term lifestyle, was holding me back from making some structural changes. I’m not going to get into all of the details, but I’ve begun looking at things like food, travel, and entertainment from a personal sustainability standpoint (housing and transport are basically solved problems for me at this point). It’s kind-of hard to describe what’s going on in my thought processes. Things I used to read on the forum, like people making their own this or that, which I thought was a waste of time because it only saves you a few bucks, have suddenly become interesting to me. Not because they save a little money, but because I want to be able to do them. And let’s face it, I have the time. Some of these activities are a bit tedious, so once I learn I can do them “good enough”, they fall by the wayside. Others I actually enjoy, so I’m trying to incorporate them into my life and actually get a bit better at.

I don’t think I’ve mentioned it on here, but at the same time I decided to quit my job, the GF was doing some investigative work with her accountant about travel contracts. The IRS has several different rules, some of them contradictory, regarding how long she can work in given areas and still reap the tax benefits of a contract worker. Long story short, she’s sticking with the most conservative rules to avoid potential problems, and this means her current contract has to end earlier than we anticipated. She’ll be done in mid-October now. Tentative plan remains international travel this winter, but COVID may take the wind out of those sails. So, we may end up spending the winter somewhere warm in the US, a place where she takes a work contract for three months. In any event, the upper Midwest is giving me a preview of early November weather for the next couple of days and I do not like it. It’s a good reminder of why we want to get away for the winters.

Anyway, the combination of these factors has me mostly ignoring any part time employment opportunities for now. Since I won’t be here through the winter, I think I’ll focus more on income generation next spring. Hopefully find something flexible that I enjoy or something I can do for myself. In the meantime I’ll continue to play with some of these other skill based hobbies, and get a sense for what I really like for incorporation into life, and what I just want to know in case I NEED to know it someday.

Fun
Still biking, pretty much daily. I actually upgraded my bike (finally!) with a used hybrid from craigslist. The guy who sold it to me is a bike fanatic. Even though it’s older, it’s well taken care of and a huge upgrade to my cruiser. It’s added a new dimension now that I have some decent equipment. I’ve found myself timing some of the more regular routes, and make personal challenges to beat times, etc. I got a pass for unlimited bowling at a local place though October for $25. Already gone a few times, I forgot the fun atmosphere of bowling. Trying to get to the point of being able to bowl a 500 series regularly.

I went on a short road trip for the GF’s B-day recently to Duluth MN. We stayed in a hostel downtown for a couple days and did some camping for a couple more. We both had a really good time.

GF/Marriage Gossip
This has gotten a lot of journal attention :D . After we had that conversation a month or so ago, marriage is on the backburner for now. Not a ton of discussion about it. It’s still in the cards within a couple years. I’d rather settle into a lifestyle we are both very pleased with before getting engaged though.

Since the GF is going to be done in October, she’s been working as much as she can to pad the accounts. Man, I feel for her. As much as I think she enjoys her work still (at least one of us does). It becomes so obvious to an observer how working 50 hours a week absolutely destroys her energy level and enthusiasm for life when not working. Prior to this she was maybe doing 30, leaving early whenever she could, and only working the 4 days a week her contract requires. It’s a huge difference and I’m not sure she realizes how much. Makes me wonder what I hadn’t noticed about myself all those years of trying to accumulate money.

Thanks for reading!

Jean

Post by Jean »

If your plans for international Travel still hold, my studio will be available during week days until mid december. It's a nice hiking base.

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

I like how there's an ongoing thread debating ERE status symbols, and CL just casually drops the biggest one in his journal.

Boss: "I'm in control and you have no say."
CL: "That's not how this works. I quit."

So metal. Congrats!

fingeek

Post by fingeek »

Great to hear that things are still working out for you, and also that the anxiety rapidly dropped off! I'll be interested to watch how your motivation/interest/discipline levels remain over the months - as you'll know, mine dropped off at about 6-7 months and I got bored. Will be keeping eyes peeled for tips and wisdom you happen upon over the months!

Also if you head over this way on your travels, gimme a shout!

luxagraf

Post by luxagraf »

The anxiety thing does go away with time, but it happens every time. For me anyway.

I'm not quite in the financial position you are (I went and had kids, which turn out to be expensive :D) but as a work opportunist who easily gets sucked into projects not of my own making, I still go through a couple weeks of mild anxiety every time one of those projects/gigs ends. Even though I consciously know this is crazy, it still happens almost subconsciously. I chock it up to never completely escaping my middle class programming of "you better have a job". Travel is the best cure I know for that, so I think that'll help.

Or you can end up like me and one of your contract/clients will convince you to take a full time job. :shock:

classical_Liberal

Jean wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:35 pm
If your plans for international Travel still hold, my studio will be available
Thanks! this is an extremely generous offer! I think we'll likely stay closer to home for this one though, if it happens. Probably Central America or Mexico. Although we plan to get to Europe at some point and your town has been on the list of "must do" places since you showed us all those great pictures of your home. We shall meet again :D .
Tyler9000 wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:43 pm
So metal. Congrats!
Thanks! It's funny because I had zero anxiety when I did it. That didn't pop up until afterwards. I think it came on, not because I was afraid I did the wrong thing. Rather, because I knew I did the right thing and there probably won't be any negative consequences for it, or at least none I can't deal with.
fingeek wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:09 am
Also if you head over this way on your travels, gimme a shout!
Yeah, that'd be great!

I think most of my de-stress period is already done. I mean, I've only worked 4 of the last 12 months anyway. The thing I'm going to miss about that job is the social aspects and collaboration. It's so weird that there are so few adults who have enough time to work on anything outside of paid-work and family. Really the tragedy of our times, IMO, is that when people finally get a free moment they need it to rest.

Anyway, I think what'll eventually drive me back into making money will be this need for socialization and collaboration. I'm not sure I'll be able to find it any other way.
luxagraf wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:40 am
Even though I consciously know this is crazy, it still happens almost subconsciously. I chock it up to never completely escaping my middle class programming of "you better have a job"...Travel is the best cure I know
Great to see you still reading over here! Your adventures are so great to read about!

My best friend lives in jacob's workingman quadrant. The guy has had maybe 50 different jobs/gigs in the 12 years I've known him, and maybe actually worked 30-40% of the total time. After I quit, and the anxiety started to creep in, I gave him a call. He just laughed (at first he didn't believe me I quit without something else lined up). He said it's like this (the anxiety), every... single... time, for him. But that it only lasts a few days for him now, as long as he has some money in his pocket. I had no idea, I assumed he'd be immune by now. I guess the programming has more power than I thought.

I'm curious. Do you think the travel helps because you are able to find people/cultures who don't worship at the altar of constant work and money, or is the just the physical change to your location and daily habits that helps?
luxagraf wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:40 am
Or you can end up like me and one of your contract/clients will convince you to take a full time job. :shock:
Well... I never! hahaha, good luck with it!

luxagraf

Post by luxagraf »

classical_Liberal wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:52 pm
I'm curious. Do you think the travel helps because you are able to find people/cultures who don't worship at the altar of constant work and money, or is the just the physical change to your location and daily habits that helps?
For me it's mainly the change of location/experience. I don't know if it distracts me exactly, but it snaps me out of habits of thinking that lead to anxiety. When I travel have no worries. Or maybe it's more accurate to say my worries are more immediate and concrete, which for me is much easier to solve.

Laura Ingalls

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I am wired far too anxiously which is part of the reason I have hung on too some paid employment. Lately it has been a pretty nominal time commitment 3-4 hours per week. I have also been eligible for some unemployment which I tend to think of as both a gift and an income stream diversifier. I think I could quit now without producing much anxiety. But the after being at this semi-retirement thing for six years we are both getting used to it, have less our lifespan left, and less and less of the financial and emotional work of parenting ahead of us.

Also the financial reinforcements (pensions, social security) are getting closer.

classical_Liberal

luxagraf wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:28 pm
For me it's mainly the change of location/experience.
Yeah, I noticed this travel nursing when I was moving every few months. Each new place gave me the opportunity to change up habits and explore a new area. Mostly, the culture was the same though, so I wasn't sure if exploring a culture vs just geographic area enhanced the effect.

A big part of the reason I want more international travel and to change up the region(s) of my longer term US travel, is to find a culture that suits me better. I do like the individual people here, but I'd love to find something a bit more laid back and more open to general social chill-time.
Laura Ingalls wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:21 pm
I am wired far too anxiously which is part of the reason I have hung on too some paid employment.
Yeah, I get this, I'm still semi-ERE. I may even nurse again in a different capacity. I have enough hours to renew my license through 2023 and plan to as it's worth the few hundred bucks. If, at that point, I haven't used it at all, I'll probably let it go.

I just want to actually not dread what I do. Unfortunately that's what hospital nursing evolved into for me. I went at it too much, too hard, for too long. Plus the entire industry has been changing for the worse. If that means I only make $10/hr, so be it. I'd rather spend 20 hours a week doing something enjoyable and maybe more variable, than 8 hours a week doing something I constantly dread.

I'm in no hurry though. Worst comes to worst, I can always pick up a three month hospital contract and muddle through.

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

classical_Liberal wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:16 pm
A big part of the reason I want more international travel and to change up the region(s) of my longer term US travel, is to find a culture that suits me better. I do like the individual people here, but I'd love to find something a bit more laid back and more open to general social chill-time.
Oh man, this. I spent 2 months on Kalymnos a few years back, and you could tell the Americans who were fresh off the plane because their shoulders were up around their ears. I'd go back to Greece in a heartbeat.

classical_Liberal

AxelHeyst wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:38 pm
I'd go back to Greece in a heartbeat.
You know, the more people who travel together, the more you can get for less. Plus bigger groups have varying levels of language and culture experience that can make the travel better from a "live as the locals do" perspective.

I wonder if a good way to start fostering more of a IRL community in these forums is some planned together slow travel (for those inclined to do so). I mean, where else are you going to find people with the time and inclination to spend a couple months in Greece? Plus, if someone on the forum lives nearby a spot a few people travel to, they could act as a great local guide building community further. Anway, maybe that's more whimsical thinking on my part, but maybe worth a try at some point. It's far less obtrusive than trying to get a bunch of people to permanently move nearby, because if it isn't working out anyone can go their separate way as they would have anyway.

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

*wave*

RoamingFrancis

Post by RoamingFrancis »

The slowtravel sounds fun... I think I'd be down.

Relaxed and chill time is one of the reasons I'm glad I speak Spanish. :)

Jean

Post by Jean »

The common slow Travel Idea is actually good. I've Seen other communities do this kind of meetup with succes.

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

Yep, I'm in, that's a great idea.

If you happen to head West and South in mid-October, we might have an opportunity to cross paths/test this idea out.