classical_Liberal's Semi-ERE

Where are you and where are you going?
Jin+Guice

Re: classical_Liberal's Semi-ERE

Post by Jin+Guice » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:22 pm

classical_Liberal wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:12 am
I finished a reread of the ERE book.
Somehow the book is better every time. I'm considering a once a year rereading.
classical_Liberal wrote:
I came to the realization that I’ve been operating under a flawed assumption. The assumption was that all spending is wasteful and any additional income is good (to offset waste/save and invest for future waste). I no longer think this is true. Spending is only wasteful insofar as A) I didn’t enjoy or otherwise gain (fulfill some other want/need) the process of earning it. or B) There was a better option available than earning/spending money to reach the desired outcome. Under this definition virtually all of my current spending is wasteful, but this doesn’t have to be the case.
Very important insight. I know you understand this, but I can't help but say you need to temper this with some comment about wants being infinite/ insatiable and a "better option" including some measure of ultra-frugality DIY skills.
classical_Liberal wrote:
Considering I plan on spending a large percentage of my time traveling and living in a vehicle, it seems very wasteful to also have a home-base living arrangement. The problem boils down to the larger system in which I chose to live.
I think you are overestimating this problem. I used to just have a P.O. box when I was "homeless." No one seemed to care. Then again I didn't have health insurance or a professional license. If the P.O. box won't work, could you use your parents or a friends house? The bigger question is do you need a home-base to feel grounded?

Also, when are you coming to New Orleans?

I like that you include the SS benefit in your calculation. I'm in agreement with you that SS will probably still be around or we're in the kind of trouble that having quarter to half a mil won't get you out of.
classical_Liberal wrote:
I had prepared a huge list of how to categorize and track spending, but I changed my mind. I feel that a monthly budget/spend list is actually counterproductive.
Budgets are for noobs. You don't really need them, unless you do.
classical_Liberal wrote:
New metric. It’s an attempt to use some strategic psychology in reporting my FI numbers. The general idea of using a psychological motivator like this was stolen from @wolf. Reporting net worth tends to infer I need more to be FI, whereas If I report where my spending needs to be at current net-worth, the weird c_L mind will focus on what really matters. This number will be based on the same 50% SS benefit at age 67 and will show Cfiresims point of 100% historical success rate with spending as the variable. IOW If I spend $X annually I would be FI 100% of the time by a historical analysis. Without further ado… today that number is $9,790
This is dope, I want to steal this. I'm a bit confused though. You're counting 50% SS benefit in this number? This is the current SS benefit you'd receive? Also, the 100% success rate Cfiresim is the same as a simple SWR of somewhere between 3 and 4% correct? Or is it more complicated?
classical_Liberal wrote:
Goal annual spend. Is 15K

Yaaaas, queen. Welcome to freedom town (if you hit it).
classical_Liberal wrote:
History. When I started this journal I promised a history piece each update. I have utterly failed as the task seemed too daunting. Intermittently my history comes up as it pertains to current events. So each month I will provide a short history of c_L for your reading pleasure. Some may be short, but each entry will have at least a little. I think I’ll go relatively chronologically, unless the stories get away from me.
Seriously? How did I miss this. We demand personal history!

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:59 am

Thanks for the reply!
Jin+Guice wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:22 pm
I think you are overestimating this problem.
Meh, maybe. I've lived out of a PO box for two years before, it was actually a UPS mailing address because my banks wouldn't take a PO box, so I have an idea how to make it work. Health insurance is a big deal though. I see too many people potentially going bankrupt over a simple infected gallbladder.

I think the real issue probably is being "grounded". However, part of that is a known, for-sure, base level of expenses. I'm pretty sure I could pull an @jeanpaul and travel for years on a shoestring, but not totally sure. I've never done it before. Another part of grounded is having a social network and enough stability to create a situation for some semi-ERE gigs to come my way. The hustle factor is greatly reduced once some of the right people, in the right location, know who you are and what you can do. It opens a metric shit-ton of opportunities in an organic way. I could make it happen on the road too, it'd just be a lot more difficult and complex.

I really do think that for the price it'll cost ($250-350 month), I'll end up with waaay more value from it. Although some of that value may not show up on the spreadsheets directly. The bottom line is, if it wasn't for this home-base thing, I doubt I'd have the balls to semi-ERE in 2019. So it's serving it's purpose for now. If it needs to change in the future, it will. Simple.
Jin+Guice wrote:
Also, when are you coming to New Orleans?
Possibly this year in my end Feb/March road trip. The GF and I have three possible trips. The leading contender is a gulf coast run that'd include NOLO. Our time is limited enough that weather may be the deciding factor. By mid February we'll have been stuck in cold and ice for three months and will really need outdoor time. If the SW is warm, clear, and sunny, but the gulf cost looks cold, rainy, and shitty for large parts of the trip we'll probably go with a back up. I'll definitely let you know if NOLO is in the cards.
Jin+Guice wrote:
This is dope, I want to steal this. I'm a bit confused though.
Yeah, I write about Cfiresim/firecalc all the time and don't spell it out very well. Basically, I use them as a "smell test" for whatever my latest plan happens to be. Without 100% chance of historical success, it doesn't pass the smell test.

This new figure, $9790, is the amount I can spend annually if I never earn another cent, but get 1/2 expected SS at age 67, and still end up with 100% chance of historical success for a 50 year retirement (making me 92). It happens to be just above 4% right now. I consider it my "I'm FI if I spend only this much" number.

The other run I wrote of had different simulation parameters. On that one, if I spend down all FU bucket, but don't touch the old age bucket until 63, then start getting 1/2 SS at age 67. I'd be 100% until age 93 at my current estimated 20K spend rate. The buckets, among other things, create a stop loss so I"m confident I won't run out of money at the worst possible time.

Edited for multiple grammar errors

Augustus

Post by Augustus » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:21 pm

classical_Liberal wrote:
Considering I plan on spending a large percentage of my time traveling and living in a vehicle, it seems very wasteful to also have a home-base living arrangement.
Have you given any thought to buying a lot with utility hookups? I was browsing areas that got hit by hurricanes and you can score lots with utilities for 10-20k. Since the value on those should rise over time, provided that you time a sale in a period where people are optimistic and have forgotten about hurricane danger, you wouldn't really be wasting money. If I was single I'd probably do that, just build a mobile tiny house I could move inland to keep it out of harm's way, if I left anything on there at all. As soon as you put a building on it you have to worry about break ins and the like, empty land has zero worry. Undeveloped tax costs are low too, I have a lot I bought when I was 18 that I had dreams of living on, it costs about 50/year in taxes, land value over that time has gone up enough to where I'd break even. I got lucky in that housing is slowly spreading in the direction of my lot, in 30 years it'll probably be worth a lot. For me, given that if I sell it it will cover the tax fees, I'm happy enough keeping it for the long term since it doesn't cost me anything. I found lots in Texas that are less than 100 meters from the beach, with utility hookups, in a resort town, going for 10-20k after a hurricane blew through.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:13 am

Augustus wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:21 pm
Have you given any thought to buying a lot with utility hookups?
Back a couple of years ago, when I was considering RV or TT living, I actually did look at buying lots to park it at as a primary residence. But after a bit of time searching I became convinced it was expensive as hell. 10-20K would be a great deal! The caveat being it would have to be close enough to an urban center to take advantage of semi-ERE opportunities. Anything meeting that criteria in my search back then was just too expensive, but I guess I'll look again because that idea had great appeal to me and the GF. The anticipated home-base location is a result of it being the best place that either of us know. I kind-of just decided to limit yourself to that for the time being. We are only panning on renting, so this could be a great option for the future. Thanks, and keep the good ideas roll'en!

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:15 am

Your last post inspired me to revisit cFIREsim. I've always used FIREcalc due to being confused by all of the extra data in the prior, and it intimidated me back when I discovered both calcs (2015).

How are you calculating SS? Based on the SS website, if I plug in my earnings to date + estimated 2019 earnings, I get $735/month at age 67. The NPV of 50% that value, is not all that much ~$110k, but it definitely does help the numbers a bit. I think I have to wait to hit 40 credits before I could get an accurate estimated benefit from them directly?

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:23 pm

@2B1S
I tend to get real similar results from both. Cfiresim allows for gold in the allocation, so I feel it's a bit more accurate for my type of portfolio. Obviously, Portfolio Charts is the most accurate for allocation tinkering, but the data is limited to 1970+. So I generally use each tool for specific purposes. Cfiresim is a great "smell test" when you want to include Great Depression, panic of 1893, deflation of 1920's, World Wars, etc. Things that haven't happened in recent history.

I made my own Social Security spread sheet. Very easy to do once you understand how the system works. This article is a great jumping off point. From there you just need to know your earnings and how SS inflation indexes previous years earnings. Takes about 15 minutes of reading and 15 minutes of spreadsheet building (mostly copying in earnings).

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:54 am

1/31/2018

History/Story-time
As promised, here is a bit of c_L history. This particular story takes place in my mid-20’s, a few years after the turn of the millennium. At the time I was in banking, not the WSP type of stuff, although I was working towards and admiring that type of lifestyle. I was more so the type of banker your friends refer you to at the local branch when it’s time to buy a house or start a Roth. Still, I thought I was on a path to Gordon Gekko. I was making pretty good money, working hard and playing hard. Full on consumer with a timeshare in Mexico, a townhome on water in an upscale suburb, brand new car, etc.

My townhome complex was a series of duplexes, so I shared a common wall. The next-door neighbor was a single, professional mom. Since my biggest priority at the time was to look successful to my friends, I purchased an expensive sound system with full-on wall placed subs and speakers. Without going into too much detail, this system ended up pissing off my neighbor, rightfully so. The situation devolved into her calling the police on noise complaints every time I used it to capacity. I tended to use it to capacity when I had been drinking too much … and I drank a lot back then. Partially because it was socially acceptable in a sales field in my 20’s and partially a deep depression was setting in due to the lifestyle I chose. Eventually the cops had enough with the calls and gave me a ticket.

The ticket had a court date on a Monday, a couple months in the future, so I essentially forgot about the situation. The weekend before my forgotten day in court, I went on a spur of the moment trip to Vegas with my brother and a couple of friends and returned on the Red-eye Sunday night. I slept well past the court appearance time and went to work, where on my calendar I noticed the appointment in court… opps. Well, I called the courthouse and they rescheduled me for the following week. Evidently, my very pissed off neighbor had actually been there to talk to the city attorney about what a PITA I was. Anyway, at court the following week the city attorney said he wanted me to serve four weekends in jail and pay a $500 fine (due to the convo with my neighbor and the fact I blew off the first date).

WTF!? For a noise ticket? Jail didn’t scare me, I had spent a few weeks in country lock-ups before (haha, see how I drew you in for another story). For now, let’s just say, trust me, suburban county jails are nothing to be scared of. I was more pissed this city attorney thought he could railroad me out of my play time for a month! I told him to shove it, pleaded not guilty and planned on hiring an attorney to take it to trial.

I went back to work for the day. Later in the afternoon I was talking on the phone to my best friend’s brother, who was a real estate attorney. We were discussing a reverse mortgage to pay off a tax lien for one of his clients, since I was still fuming, I told him about my court earlier in the day. He just laughed his ass off. Then, he said he’d take care of it and call me back in a bit. Literally five minutes later I got a call back. “Talked to the judge’s clerk about your case. If you go in this afternoon and pay a $50 fine, it’s done.” What? $500 and four weekends in jail to a $50 fine in 5 minutes?. “No problem, you owe me a beer though.”

At first, a sense of pride well up in me. “That’s right, people like me can’t be bothered with this petty legal crap anymore”, I thought. This was the reason I did what I did, why I wanted to be a WSP. Then, for the first time since probably my teens, I regained a small sense of emotional guilt. I thought about what would have happened if I didn’t have connections or money. How a fine, plus having to pay to be in jail, could really hurt someone, possibly putting them into a really negative spiral. I got pissed again, this time though, I was pissed at how the system was obviously rigged, and pissed at myself for being such an ass-hat to my neighbor. What I was trying to become, a successful player in the system who was immune to its bullshit, and what I really was, someone who just wanted to opt out of the system that controlled him, were two very different things. I began to realize that gaining the status I felt I needed for the former created a personality change that was destroying the later.

I eventually made peace with my neighbor. Just sucked it up and knocked on her door one day and apologized. From that conversation I learned she had been working for some time to earn enough to move from a lower income area into a better area for her child (ie school districts etc). The noise was a reminder of the BS she had to put up with from her former neighborhood and hence had an aversion to it . Interesting how she was simply trying, in her own way, to do the same thing I was. She wanted to “win” at life, change her family’s status and I was upsetting her vision of what she had thought she accomplished.

In a way, I feel like I should point out all of the important realizations from this event. How they changed my thinking and eventually changed my life[*]. I think, though, I’ll just leave it to the intelligent readers of my journal to form their own conclusions. Sufficed to say, the series of events marked a point in which I began to shift my thinking. I went from trying to succeed in a predetermined script, to questioning the script itself.

*I’m relatively quick to learn, but generally VERY slow to adopt change. This is a blessing and a curse.

Life & Such:
Contract is about to end. I can’t say I’m sad about it, although I will miss a select few people. New assignment will begin the week of March 17th, still not really looking forward to it, as the hospital sucked last time I worked there. For now, I’m more focused on moving, cleaning the old place, and getting ready for a 2-3 week road trip with the GF. After which we should have a good chunk of days to settle in at the new place and get some routines going before we start our respective jobs. The new apartment is very walkable to the local downtown, river, several parks, library, work, and grocery store. It’s an improvement on my last few places, very similar to the place I wrote about back in early 2017. Thanks to the great location, I’m looking forward to my time not spent at work this spring/summer.

The road trip should provide me with an opportunity to post a few good photos in my next update. It’s been a long while since the last set of pics. That’s telling wrt how little I’ve gotten a chance to do things I enjoy. Winter in the Midwest is a bit of a curse for outdoorsy people who don’t enjoy the bitter cold. We’re not talking Chicago or New England cold here, that would be a heat wave. I’m certainly not as extreme as theanimal in that regard. To entertain myself indoors, I purchased a play station 3 and a few games from a coworker for $50. My last console game system was a PS2, so it’d been awhile and a two generation old system was an upgrade. I then proceeded to give up most of my December and January to a Skyrim. That game is pretty amazing! I know all of you current gamers might think it’s dated, but holy shit, what an expansive world! At least I managed to bore of it after about 200 hours of game play. The console and games will likely go to the thrift store when we move.

Cohabitation with the GF has been really good. She’s been so gracious in adapting to my peculiarities and need for alone time that I almost feel bad. As if I’m not doing enough changing myself, but she claims utter happiness with everything. I’m pretty good at reading people too, she seems to act like her proclamations. She continues to move on her own financial situation with impressive vigor. Although her weakness is travel. Since I had to work over Christmas she took a pricey trip to visit a friend in Seattle, then home to her parents place. She ended up taking a later flight due to overbooking and got comped $1500! WTF? Lucky girl! Hopefully all is not too good to be true on the relationship front.

Financial:
All of this talk in other threads regarding social security had me going through my SS earnings history. It was very interesting. I’ve had two major careers, banking, and then nursing. Each has lasted about 7 years. Interspersed in the remaining 10 years of my adult life have been a couple years of zero income (a couple of f-you moment, poorly planned sabbaticals) and many years of “lifestyle gigs” in the others. The other gigs generally coincided with years I was in college or experimenting with entry level positions in other potential career-type jobs. In any event, during those times work was never a primary focus.

The earnings basically break down to a little over 500K (inflation adjusted) with each of the careers and another 200K for the rest. What does all this mean? ... Well, it got me thinking… To make semi-ERE viable in the current financial situation (assets and spending), I either need to find one more interesting career to try out, or do another run with lifestyle gigs for a decade or so after this post nursing sabbatical. The one caveat being, I will likely not earn as much with a third career because: a) I spent a year or two too long in the previous fields being somewhat miserable and those last years were the most lucrative. b) The next career would not focus on money, nor would my primary goal be to maximize pay scale for that particular field.

So I think either way, I would end up about even on the income front with both choices. Not too bad a place to be, particularly when I look back at each scenario in my past. Either eagerly starting a new field with interest and/or having enjoyable lifestyle gigs on the backburner of life.

On to the chart:
I reached my minimum number very easily with the market bounce. It was extremely anticlimactic. At least when I paid off my last debt I felt pretty fucking good about it for a few days. This… well… it changed nothing. What a waste of what should have been a rather seminal life event. I really need to man-up and pull the trigger semi-ERE. I still feel like I’ve missed something important though. Maybe I’m craving some form of mental preparedness that will never happen? Who knows. At least the new job should be sucky enough to help push me over the edge.

According to historical simulation I would be FI in 100% of scenarios with $10,770 of annual spending. Up quite a bit since last reported thanks to the increase in 50% of SS for 2018 earnings and one less year to fund until death. At least the first is a good thing.

As always, thanks for reading and any comments.

Seppia

Post by Seppia » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:26 am

Holy shit I didn’t see it coming at all!
Now you got me SUPER hooked to your journal, can’t wait for the “other” story :lol:

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:08 am

I was wondering when or how you were going to reveal your true ENTJ colors :lol:

In my experience, ENTJ s have much "nicer" writing voices than presences. So, that's one of the ways they trick me into dating them.

suomalainen

Post by suomalainen » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:08 pm

I love stories. I was hoping a romance would blossom with the pissed off neighbor. That's the conclusion I chose to draw, so don't burst my bubble.

This period must include some stories:
Interspersed in the remaining 10 years of my adult life have been a couple years of zero income (a couple of f-you moment, poorly planned sabbaticals) and many years of “lifestyle gigs” in the others. The other gigs generally coincided with years I was in college or experimenting with entry level positions in other potential career-type jobs. In any event, during those times work was never a primary focus.
Edit: also, I think @7w5 just hit on you

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:07 pm

Naah, I don't date where I debate. However, I have dated a few ENTJs in my time, and the vice of the ENTJ is Anger, so there is usually some terrible story about something like getting an arm shot off in a rumble while drunk.

Clarice

Post by Clarice » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:22 pm

@7Wb5:
Huh! I am not arguing with your real life experience, but according to analytical psychology, ENTJ's vice is avarice, not anger. It is consistent with my personal experience with ENTJs, though I've dealt with women only, never with men. :geek: :geek: :geek:

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:54 pm

@Clarice:

I am sure you are right. I was translating through assignment on the Enneagram. ENTJ = Type 8 = The Leader ->Vice = Anger/Power. On the Enneagram the Scientist has the vice of Greed and the Enthusiast has the vice of Gluttony, so an Enthusiast like me is supposed to move towards the functioning of the Scientist in order to cut gluttony with greed (keep the cookies in the cookie jar.) I think the Leader is supposed to move towards the Helper which would explain c_Ls new career in nursing towards personal growth.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:58 pm

Seppia wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:26 am
Holy shit I didn’t see it coming at all!
I have a few surprises left in me :D
suomalainen wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:08 pm
That's the conclusion I chose to draw, so don't burst my bubble.
I would never! We lived happily ever after.
7Wannabe5 wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:07 pm
Naah, I don't date where I debate.
Do you hear that sound? It's my heart, literally breaking.
Clarice wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:22 pm
I am not arguing with your real life experience, but according to analytical psychology, ENTJ's vice is avarice, not anger.
7Wannabe5 wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:54 pm
I think the Leader is supposed to move towards the Helper which would explain c_Ls new career in nursing towards personal growth.
Very interesting... I would say that I have both. Avarice was definitely ingrained in my personality at a young age, but I think I intellectually overcame this issue, to some degree anyway, when I opted out of the banking world. I gave up what was becoming an increasingly lucrative and status building venture because I was disappointed in the results of a life following the money/power script. This was both personally and how my mentors lives were turning out 10 years ahead of me. I would say trying to reach ERE level spending is another nail in it's coffin. I still like the power aspect though, and I see my monetary stash as a hidden secret weapon that is occasionally wielded this end (I actually have a recent story, :lol:). So I guess it's not buried yet.

Regarding anger, There was a recent thread with a personality test, I'm too lazy to find it. I did not post my results because i was a bit embarrassed. The neuroticism component had a subcategory of anger, I scored 94, Yikes! I've managed to minimize my anger towards individuals pretty well. This was accomplished mainly through empathy. I try to learn a person's history and understand his/her motivations in actions that tick me off or which made no sense. Once motivation is understood it's easy to let the anger go, because we are all very flawed in our own ways. I'm not sure if this ability to empathize and understand motivation was ingrained or learned. Either way, it was definitely honed during my years in financial sales, it's very advantageous. I still use it today to figure out ways to convince patients to take care of their health. Anger towards institutions remains very high. There isn't an individual for empathy and institutions often act in a way illogical to the stated purpose. Don't get me started!

I will say, I somewhat enjoy being an angry person because, if properly utilized, it can be a VERY motivating emotion. The issue is controlling anger.

Clarice

Post by Clarice » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:53 pm

@classical_Liberal:
If you are interested in controlling your anger listen to this bit from 0:47 to 2:30. Personally, I've found this train of thought very helpful in general and in dealing with anger induced by my family in particular:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCS6t6NUAGQ

What do you think?

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:25 pm

@clarice

Yes, good video and I like de Button. Maybe I'm just mincing words or ideas here, but I think the idea of tempering expectations with other individuals is good. This goes back to my empathy comments. However, i'm not a fan of just accepting a situation or an institution as crap, when positive change is possible. I think it goes back to the idea that the only way evil can exist is for good people to do nothing. Pick your battles, definitely. Understand you personal lotus of control, a must. Give individuals a break because they are just as flawed as me or you, for sure. But rest on laurels when a situation can be improved, just be be less angry or more relaxed, NO WAY!

EDIT: I also resent being called an optimist! :D

Mister Imperceptible

Post by Mister Imperceptible » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:35 pm

classical_Liberal wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:58 pm
Regarding anger, There was a recent thread with a personality test, I'm too lazy to find it. I did not post my results because i was a bit embarrassed. The neuroticism component had a subcategory of anger, I scored 94, Yikes!

I will say, I somewhat enjoy being an angry person because, if properly utilized, it can be a VERY motivating emotion. The issue is controlling anger.
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=9976

Very interested in your results, classical_Liberal :twisted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=esEcwAWi6dk

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:58 am

@MI
I'll have to retake it, I didn't bother to save the results. I just remember the 94 anger and that I scored in the 90's in anxiety as well.

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:11 am

classical_Liberal wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:25 pm
... But rest on laurels when a situation can be improved, just be be less angry or more relaxed, NO WAY!
THIS! A thousand times this! What is this Good Enough thing of which you so casually speak?

It's comforting in a way to read a claim that ENTJ are 'supposed' to move towards helping others. 'makes my recent life choices much less fraught with doubt.

EDIT: Also anger at 97. You're doing alright. Don't worry :D viewtopic.php?f=26&t=9976#p168765

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:22 am

For better or worse, my generalized “tribe” has always been humans with IQs over 130 who are somewhat cuckoo-bananas or eccentric. Since my family of origin and my own children mostly fit this description, my main problem is dealing with the problems that result when the cuckoo- bananas gets too out of control.

Maybe we should cut Suo some slack, because 3 boys close in age centered around puberty is not an easy gig for anyone.