classical_Liberal's Semi-ERE

Where are you and where are you going?
classical_Liberal

classical_Liberal's Semi-ERE

Post by classical_Liberal »

Last edited by classical_Liberal on Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JustAGuyReally

Re: classical_Liberal's Journal

Post by JustAGuyReally »

From another new poster: Welcome!

I think I might know where are you are living/working. My brother went to school there, and loved his time in that area.

Congrats on building up your savings so quickly. If I was more of a hands-on person, I would certainly consider nursing for a few years, as much for the options for specialization that you mention as the ability to pick-up seemingly endless overtime opportunities.
Anyone who had read my posts regarding financials may be aware, my goal is not actually total financial independence. My goal is a life free to make decisions regarding time and location without money being a primary motivator; rather it will be a distant echo only present for encouragement in providing some form of value to the world.
Amen.
From a psychological standpoint, too much isolation has never been good for me. I can get slightly depressed, this causes a feedback loop in which I spend even less time socializing.
Yeah, same here. I've spent plenty of time hanging around in developing parts over the world recently, and the difficulty I've found if you are trying to hang with locals (as opposed to other travelers, backpackers, etc.) is that you spend half the day just sort of waiting for your friends to get off work. You end up spending more time along than you'd like to admit, at least sometimes. Which is why, for me, using ERE as a tool to be able work where I want to work as opposed to just sort of completely dropping off the map is my current goal . . .

classical_Liberal

Last edited by classical_Liberal on Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

classical_Liberal

Last edited by classical_Liberal on Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fish

Post by Fish »

Great story! I found it thought-provoking. If in a place outside the reach of the market (aka "nature"), survival depends on you, your skills, your stuff, and the environment. Even more dangerous is being in a place where the market dominates, but being unable to transact with it, because much of that environment has either been trashed or subjected to private ownership.
classical_Liberal wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 11:01 am
I plan to significantly increase mattress money/metal holdings on hand, along with increasing my food supply at home.
Did you realize this plan? My initial thought is that it seems like an over-reaction to an exceptional situation, not unlike the characterization of depression-era people remaining excessively frugal for the rest of their lives following their experiences. Or is it a practical response to realizing the true nature of wealth? I can't quite decide.

classical_Liberal

Last edited by classical_Liberal on Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

classical_Liberal

Last edited by classical_Liberal on Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

classical_Liberal

Last edited by classical_Liberal on Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

Glad you finally started a journal =)

classical_Liberal

Last edited by classical_Liberal on Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

classical_Liberal

Last edited by classical_Liberal on Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

How many hours would you have to work to maintain health insurance? Is that a perk of this kind of job?

Don't count on SSI any more than you would count on an inheritance.

classical_Liberal

Last edited by classical_Liberal on Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

classical_Liberal

Last edited by classical_Liberal on Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Have you considered Ann Arbor?
I am pondering whether younger women being more needy depends on actual age or relative age. Likely a bit of both.

wolf

Post by wolf »

Well done. You have a great momentum! I hope everything will be ok with your GF. I like to follow your journal, because you are a few years ahead of me.

classical_Liberal

Last edited by classical_Liberal on Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

I live in Detroit also, I like it. I rent a studio for $730 right by downtown, and don't own a car (Detroit has the most expensive car insurance in the country).

A lot goes on downtown in Campus Martius, lots of free outdoor concerts, beach sand, an ice rink, etc. There are also nice outdoor basketball courts, sand volleyball court, outdoor chess boards around Campus Martius. Detroit's hockey, baseball, and football teams play around downtown, and a new stadium is being built in Midtown for the basketball team. Fowling is a local sport that is kinda like bowling with a football, it's fun.

There are lots of bike lanes going everywhere from downtown, and the new streetcar that goes from the river up through Midtown and New Center. The Amtrak station is in the city and there is a bike-share station near it which you can use to get anywhere you'd want to go. Ann Arbor and Kalamazoo are both college towns on the Wolverine line, which goes from Detroit to Chicago. Toledo is the first Greyhound stop to the south and there is a university there too.

Wayne State is the main university in Detroit, it's the best gym near downtown; you can buy a gym membership for about $30/mo. Campus is right across the street from the main library. I'm writing from campus right now after a workout.

Belle Isle is a nature preserve island on the river within biking distance of downtown, a good place to go fishing or grilling or to lay on the grass and look at clouds. It also has an aquarium where you can look at fish and a big greenhouse where you can look at plants.

classical_Liberal

Last edited by classical_Liberal on Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SustainableHappiness

Post by SustainableHappiness »

Classical Liberal! I hadn’t read your journal much before, I didn’t realize you were a nurse. Fun Fact my DW is a nurse as well, albeit in a Canadian context which is probably different from an operational perspective than an American nursing context.

Anyways, sounds like you are kicking ass and taking names. Hope your side project ideas are growing and becoming reality. It’s good to see another ERE Type 2-er on here.