classical_Liberal's Semi-ERE

Where are you and where are you going?
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: classical_Liberal's Semi-ERE

Post by jacob »

I was in my late 30s when I realized the validity of "use it or lose it" and that building up strength in tendons or muscles would take rather longer than when I was younger leading to the potential of a trap insofar I got injured. Learning this the hard way took some messing around with ankle tendonitis and trying to build up the strength to prevent me from getting it again. These days I am very careful about 1) not getting injured; and 2) not slacking on the exercise routine. I now know I have to run regularly (no month-long breaks) insofar I want to retain the capability to run more than a mile w/o subsequent joint issues going forward. The aim is to maintain average 20something performance into my 60s and average 40something performance into my 70s. There was some discussion in the athlete thread whether this much effort is worthwhile. It is to me.

sky

Post by sky »

I would say that is a good investment which should result in future quality of life.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal »

Last edited by classical_Liberal on Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

classical_Liberal

Last edited by classical_Liberal on Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

SustainableHappiness

Post by SustainableHappiness »

Hello C_L, hope your knee is back to 100% soon. Glad to see you're still fighting the good fight.

Laura Ingalls

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Glad to here you are healing.

No real advice about the relationship concerns. Other than your GF is smart and should be understanding that there are compelling reasons to find another locale.

Ego

Post by Ego »

classical_Liberal

classical_Liberal

white belt

Post by white belt »

I used to make wine back in college from frozen fruit juice concentrate. I think I had orange, grape, blueberry, and apple flavors that came out well. Also some mead and cysers but I never made cider. I do remember the issue was always with leftover floating particulates, even when I racked the wine multiple times. I think to get the clarity of a commercial wine, you’re gonna have to use some kind of fining agent and/or filter process. Have you looked into that at all?

Also presentation is a big factor and definitely influences taste for the average person.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

There's some chemical trick to clarify wine. There's also a $200+ "filter under pressure". However, the best strategy is just to wait for months w/o racking. The longer you wait, the better the wine tends to get anyway. I don't recall any of my country/fruit/vegetable wines being cloudy after 3(?) months. IIRC, potato and honey are some of the slowest to clear.

Hristo Botev

Post by Hristo Botev »

I think the chemical trick is adding "finings"--e.g., gelatin. Or at least that's a trick you can use for beer. My homebrew shop owner sells something called Clairty Ferm, which also removes any (or most) gluten. I've never used it and I don't know if it works for wine. But in my experience with beer, at least, time is the most effective way for clearing up cloudiness on the back end.

Laura Ingalls

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Hope you continue to feel good.

Completely anecdotally, friends’ have a adult child that lives in our area that was tested when school started and the NDSU president decided that everyone in the Greek system would be tested.

She remained asymptomatic and felt fine the whole time. My less impacted community had now had about one in fifteen people with a documented positives.

classical_Liberal

Jean

Post by Jean »

I miss iceland so much, i could definitely give you a few tips about it. Thé boat trip back to Europe was a nice expérience too.

classical_Liberal

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

May I suggest checking out Isla Holbox? My gf and I were supposed to the same area in 2 weeks but as of now her passport has been lost by the state of AK in the mail so it's looking like we're going elsewhere. We initially bought roundtrip tickets for under $200. Buses are cheap and there were numerous Air Bnbs for $20-30/night for a whole house. I talked with our host in Holbox and he had said the island hadn't had a positive case since the summer. That's a beautiful region, I hope to go in the future. Tulum also looks nice.

classical_Liberal

Last edited by classical_Liberal on Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Sounds nice. I don't know much about Playa del Carmen but my gf lived in Mexico for a while and said that island was a popular spot for Mexican nationals to visit. It doesn't seem very touristy and non resort inflated prices is very appealing. Glad I could be of help, looking forward to reading about your trip!

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

Sounds amazing! With the huge spike in cases across the US this week, I can see travel becoming muted again until things roll out with the vaccine.

I need to look at airfare to Mexico for shits and giggles.