classical_Liberal's Semi-ERE

Where are you and where are you going?
classical_Liberal

Re: classical_Liberal's Semi-ERE

Post by classical_Liberal »

Last edited by classical_Liberal on Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jean

Post by Jean »

That's basically a semi private version of couchsurfing.
I thought that you meant something like a very extended meetup.

classical_Liberal

Last edited by classical_Liberal on Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jean

Post by Jean »

I think it would be nice if someone with a place would state that it's open for campers/guests for a given period. Then anyone intérested would answer, and the Host would pm them the coordinates.
Édit: like this : my forest is open for ere campers from december 15th to february 15th 2021.

classical_Liberal

Western Red Cedar

Post by Western Red Cedar »

@CL

I think a version of this exists in the digital nomad community, but it is relatively unstructured. There are certain, low-cost locations with lots of amenities and good internet connections like Chang Mai. Certain times of year are better to visit due to weather and air quality. After a few years, loose communities and friendships are formed.

Most digital nomads have relatively flexible schedules and can change plans for future countries pretty easily - they are just balancing visa, cost, and work considerations. When they meet up with old friends at one of the international nomad hotspots, they may change their plans and try out a new location. A good way to travel with like-minded people for a couple months and maintain a sense of community.

I experienced it a bit on the backpacker trail in Central America. I'd travel with a rough, regional itinerary but would be flexible to change my plans if I met cool people and they heard about a beach, village, or other location to check out for a few days. We'd occasionally travel together for a couple of weeks. I was much more open to this approach when solo traveling though because I was a bit more eager for basic interaction.

classical_Liberal

Last edited by classical_Liberal on Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Western Red Cedar

Post by Western Red Cedar »

@CL

I think initial face-to-face contact is pretty critical in the digital nomad community. You don't really want to commit to traveling with someone, much less hanging out for an evening, unless you know they're cool and you get along well. Millennial Revolution interviewed someone named Johnny FD a little while ago who set up a digital nomad conference in Chang Mai once a year. He recognized the need and value for more community for long-term travelers in the digital nomad realm. It sounded a little like a budget chautauqua with more structure for the speakers.

I checked out a bunch of his podcasts while quarantined to keep my wanderlust at bay. They weren't really my style as I'm not particularly interested in making my living online (more interested in truly passive income), but I got some good ideas about destinations and visa strategies. He also had a handful of really interesting guests (polyglots, photographers, early retirees, etc.). Anyway, I noticed that theme in multiple conversations. A small group of people who knew each other from overlapping paths would say something like - "I'm heading to Sri Lanka or Tbilisi because I heard it's really great, free 3 month visa, and cheap accommodations." One traveler would have been thinking about Bali or somewhere else, but decide to switch it up because nothing was booked and they are primarily thinking about costs, visas, and reliable internet.

I think this was also much more common in the backpacking scene prior to pre-booking things on the internet. Rolff Potts talks about this in some of his podcasts, and recently interviewed an old friend who he met by happenstance in Cairo, then later down the road in another backpacker hub. They bonded over a Noah Baumbach film and Walt Whitman, and built a friendship off of that.

https://rolfpotts.com/podcast/best-hostel-ever/

I suspect its less common now with AirBnb and other online booking sites, but I can't say for certain as I haven't truly shoestringed it for about 10 years. My last solo trip was through Mexico and I ended up traveling with a few different solo travelers and a couple for up to a week at a time. Sometimes it was as simple as sharing expenses for a day trip with a group from a hostel. I hope that vibe is still alive because it is one of my favorite things about travel.

I'm all about creating networks for IRL meetups. Anyone looking to explore the Pacific Northwest is welcome to use me as a resource. I know some great boondocking spots!

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Great idea! If you added some portable money-making skills into the mix then we could be kind of like a band of Gypsy Tinkers. I am pretty good at telling fortunes with a deck of cards.

Seriously, I am already loosely planning on cross-country camping trip post-Covid vaccine. Even though I am currently craving solitude, I would love to split costs and share company for part of the journey.

wolf

Post by wolf »

in my point of view the benefits of a slowtravelling ERE Club would be: community, common/similiar mindset, creativity, DIY inspiration, lower cost due to higher efficiency, more flexibility and higher resilience, like a coliving gang of modern renaisance man and woman
Last edited by wolf on Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

RoamingFrancis

Post by RoamingFrancis »

This could also be a good way to learn/improve new skills. We could hold classes in each of our various talents based on interest - could be a good way to reach higher levels of proficiency without having to pay for higher education.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

RoamingFrancis wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:20 am
This could also be a good way to learn/improve new skills. We could hold classes ...
Less formally, it would be a way to have experiences that are otherwise not easily available in the regular [tourist] economy. I've previously traveled (alone on greyhound busses) to visit other EREites to e.g. ride motorcycles in the desert, shoot guns (you guys tend to be well-armed), hike, cycle, play with power tools, and go camping ... which has been very memorable. The beauty of it all is that we instantly hit it off even if spouses sometimes worried about possibly inviting a weirdo from the interwebs into their home. Likely because temperamentally and in terms of interests, EREites are mostly self-selected clones.

I still think meeting in person beats watching youtube videos for experiencing new things.

Usually when people have traveled to ERE HQ, it's been to meet each other or to quiz/interrogate Dear Leader. That's okay(*) but we could also do "introduction to soap making (you'll get 10 rounds of soap made out of lye and lard)", "how to make things out of scrap wood with hand tools", or "bicycle repair101", ... insofar the traveling band swings around Chicago.

(*) Should note that my preference is set by the fact that I'm more of a "competence"-person than a "people"-person. Like with the ERE meetups, I'd still go to one but I haven't felt inclined to arrange another one myself since 2018.

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

jacob wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:50 am
shoot guns (you guys tend to be well-armed)
This is an unexpected revelation.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Really?!

classical_Liberal

Last edited by classical_Liberal on Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

I worry about the security implications of publicly posting even higher level details re specific locations. This is a public forum that doesn't even need a registered account to search/view threads. That would be a concern of mine, there are many people reading here that do not post, all it takes is one bad actor ti spoil the fun.

classical_Liberal

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

jacob wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:50 am
Really?!
I mean... I knew about myself. I figured ffj would have some since he's a Kentucky redneck. All you Chicago people aren't allowed to have them, same with the Europeans. So yea, pretty surprising.*

* Check that out cL, nothing to trigger the En Ese!

RoamingFrancis

Post by RoamingFrancis »

Riding motorcycles in the desert sounds great. Where do I sign up?

I share the concerns about privacy, but not being a tech person, have no useful suggestions.

basuragomi

Post by basuragomi »

A Discord server might be what you need. Free and browser-based. Invitations/links to the server can be set to expire or revoked so can be sent upon request to people. Within the server you can store permanent info (like schedules, instructions, etc.) in stickied messages, but still control visitors' levels of access via channels. It's also good for real-time messaging. As the server admin you can remove people or posts pretty easily.