classical_Liberal's Semi-ERE

Where are you and where are you going?
classical_Liberal

Re: classical_Liberal's Semi-ERE

Post by classical_Liberal »

Last edited by classical_Liberal on Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

fingeek

Post by fingeek »

"There's no mistakes, only happy accidents" as Bob Ross says! Agree too that experimentation is part of the fun.

Best thing I ended up with was fresh apple juice tbh ha ha - bottled then pasteurised in a hot pan (Google told me the temp and duration)

CS

Post by CS »

You can get glass one gallon apple juice bottles at some stores. Or just buy them. Fermenting things in plastic might not be the best for your health.

ETA - if you get raw apple juice in a one gallon container, then all you have to do is set it out on the counter. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Laura Ingalls

Post by Laura Ingalls »

The GF's contract ends in two weeks. She's finally realizing that for the first time in her adult life she doesn't have her next contract lined up. It's making her a bit anxious, she's acting like i did right after I quit my job. I feel for her, but it's cute. She's talking about how to save all this money, yada, yada, yada. I told her it's like I created a monster! :lol: When we met, GF was probably a Wheaton level 0.5, I was maybe a 4. Now she's a 4 and I'm a 5.5. So while I'm trying to escape money dependance, she's trying to get as much as possible.

Mark of a good partnership imo. You probably were at a lower Wheaton level in some other domain and she raised you up. I have spent lots of time with one of my kids this week. He has a lot of intrapersonal intelligence especially for one so young. Not my long suit. He knows it and pushes me (gently)in this area.

luxagraf

Post by luxagraf »

classical_Liberal wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:10 pm
I went out to Theodore Roosevelt National Park last weekend weekend
Nice pics, looks beautiful. That's one place I wish we'd gone when we were up that way.

classical_Liberal

Last edited by classical_Liberal on Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

Two thoughts:
1. It doesn't surprise me that you mention pushing the hiking up a notch and knee pain. Please consider letting it completely heal before you get back at it despite the weather window closing. I have been living with chronic knee tendonitis for two years and it has changed my life for the worse despite good PT.
2. You didn't mention why some wine/cider batches weren't good but if you are going to spend money on anything get some real airlocks, bungs and starsan. I'm not an expert but I've heard the balloon method is unreliable.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Hah, meanwhile I'm over here thinking - Tack that tendon down, pop some advil, and keep going! Winter comes too soon. It's rare I move without something hurting, so I train whatever feels good at the time. Maybe that's why something always hurts

I also wonder if you could change how you are biking, to find a motion that doesn't aggravate - adjust seat hight, use/not use clips. change rpm, etc. I see some of the guys by me zooming around the forest on recumbents. That changes the joint experience quite a bit. One had a three wheel fat tired recumbent that must have been a couple grand. I bet going up hills on that thing is horrible.

classical_Liberal

mooretrees

Post by mooretrees »

I'm going to plug one of my go-to books for all sorts of pain, Pain Free by Pete Egoscue. I used it after over training for a 50k left me with persistent knee pain. He's a firm believer in our bodies needing movement to be healthy. I'm a believer in this book and keep recommending it to people in many different scenarios. My most recent success story was an OR nurse I overheard complaining about her neck pain. She was doing all sorts of crazy stuff to try and relieve the pain. I'm an extrovert and passionate about this book, so of course I spoke to her about. She bought it that night for her kindle (there are plenty of used copies out there) and found me a week or so later to tell me how it changed her life. Not the first time I've heard that about this book. The only time the exercises weren't useful were for a friend who needed rotator cuff surgery, which the author says he can't help with.

In my case, the pain was gone in ONE session of the simple exercises. It has occasionally flared up since, but I spend a few minutes doing one exercise and I'm out of pain.

Here is is on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Pain-Free-Revolu ... 359&sr=8-1

Here it is on Thriftbooks:
https://www.thriftbooks.com/browse/?b.s ... oos&b.tile

Good luck with the healing.

Jean

Post by Jean »

Nice you went to teddy's, it's a Park i greatly enjoyed visiting a the Time. I Hope your knee will heal well and soon

Laura Ingalls

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I love Teddy Roosevelt too. We were there about 10 years ago. I remember our oldest was maybe seven he hiked and hiked never once complaining. I think he was to mesmerized by the landscape to complain. I also remember buffalo being “frisky” and walking through the campground grunting.

Frugalchicos

Post by Frugalchicos »

Pretty cool pictures of the TR Park! pretty crazy terrain, not surprised you messed up your knee. I hope you feel much better.

I also consider wine making and so, any videos you could recommend to learn making wine off apple or other fruits? - I also stopped drinking 2 months ago (not that I drank too much), but I operate better without and don't have the need or feeling for it lately.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Looks like a great trip! It reminds me of a backpacking trip I took to the Badlands years ago. That's some pretty country and great walking with all the trails from the buffalo. It's nice that you're close enough to take advantage of it.

classical_Liberal

sky

Post by sky »

I also had knee problems this summer, once after bikepacking and once after backpacking. It took about two months for the pain to go away each time. This summer was supposed to be full of adventures but instead I decided I was too old to do this stuff anymore. It was somewhat traumatic because my focus of interest over a few years had been on getting my gear ready for longer bike touring and backpacking trips. Limping around made me feel like I can no longer can do the things I dreamed of doing when younger. Also, my main exercise was daily walking, and with a bad knee, my fitness level dropped quickly. My knee pain is gone now so I need to get back into daily walking.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

What fun! Maybe I will come out your way next spring to add some more species to my life list.

classical_Liberal

Last edited by classical_Liberal on Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

sky wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:15 pm
I also had knee problems this summer, once after bikepacking and once after backpacking. It took about two months for the pain to go away each time. This summer was supposed to be full of adventures but instead I decided I was too old to do this stuff anymore. It was somewhat traumatic because my focus of interest over a few years had been on getting my gear ready for longer bike touring and backpacking trips. Limping around made me feel like I can no longer can do the things I dreamed of doing when younger. Also, my main exercise was daily walking, and with a bad knee, my fitness level dropped quickly. My knee pain is gone now so I need to get back into daily walking.
That sucks, we are in the same boat. Go see a doctor and a physical therapist. I wonder if you ramped up too fast too. That seems to be the usual issue with these things.

CS

Post by CS »

tbf, I didn't think I needed to tell you to take the cap off.