classical_Liberal's Semi-ERE

Where are you and where are you going?
7Wannabe5

Re: classical_Liberal's Semi-ERE

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

I think man vs. nature is a false dichotomy too. However, that doesn't negate the wastefulness inherent in mindlessly destroying works of great complexity, whether technological or natural, in exchange for crap of lower complexity. I wouldn't choose to burn down a library or a redwood to provide fuel for a drag race. My take could be rejected on the basis of elitism, but there is more to it than that. It takes more energy to create unique species of animals or unique works of art than is made available when they are simply eaten into extinction or burned in a fireplace. It's difficult to measure complexity, but we all know it when we see it, and we all should feel some sort of loss when our environment is thus reduced. Sure, you can always look to the realms of growth in order to remain optimistic, but there is an underlying reality which will not long remain deniable.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

7Wb5, you are riffing on what I meant by slovenly and reckless. Personally I suspect that will be the fate of the species, and it saddens me, but I'm not going to let sadness about the future rule my life.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

I don’t dwell in sad very much myself, much more Orphan Annie outlook every morning after good nights sleep and first cup of coffee. More like I am committed to attempting to further reduce my own share of slovenliness in puzzle solving fashion. I am MUCH less interested in fretting about the behavior of other folk who have almost certainly created different models of the world and their part in it.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal »

Last edited by classical_Liberal on Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

oldbeyond

Post by oldbeyond »

What helped me was realizing that it is a human problem that we're facing. The planet has been through some remarkable swings during it's history, many of them not viable habitats for humanity. It isn't nostalgic about specific species, be they polar bears or Homo Sapiens. So we're not wrecking the planet, we are wrecking our own habitat. That may seem like a pointless distinction as it doesn't make our predicament better, but it is a very different story to live through. I the end I tend to believe that humanity (though not all humans) will make it through the coming crises, but that life will be very different. A lot of our technology and material comforts will be dearly missed, but I don't think our social forms will be mourned. We seem to do a poor job out of living right now, even as we're masterful in the technical aspects of altering (destroying) our surroundings, and I'm not sure that these two facts can really be separated.

classical_Liberal

Last edited by classical_Liberal on Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jin+Guice

Post by Jin+Guice »

Handmade Moments wrote: This old plane is goin' down
This old plane is goin' down
Goin' down
It's goin' down

The hostesses are serving liquor
Beer and wine it's all for free
I've unlocked this cockpit door, you can come and drink with me

On the left you'll see the ocean
On the right you'll see the sea
If you ain't happy then get happy, it's your only time to be

Up so high just to come back down
The world keeps spinnin' round and round
It's a give away at the lost & found, when you're
Up so high just to come back down

- This is Your Captain Speaking

classical_Liberal

Last edited by classical_Liberal on Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jean

Post by Jean »

Maybe ecology is just some way to extend the Time our niche allows us on this planet?

classical_Liberal

RoamingFrancis

Post by RoamingFrancis »

@classical_Liberal I tried sending you a PM but I'm not sure if it got through; please let me know.

classical_Liberal

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

@RF - If it's still in your outbox, it has not been received yet. If it's in your sent box, it has been received.

RoamingFrancis

Post by RoamingFrancis »

@jacob It is still in my outbox - do I just wait or is there something else I have to do?

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Just wait until the recipient reads it. Once read, it will automatically move from the outbox to the sent box. (I know these are poorly named.)

RoamingFrancis

Post by RoamingFrancis »

Sounds good, thanks.

classical_Liberal

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Do you derive any personal satisfaction from the helping aspect of nursing? I would think in at least some cases, you make a very immediate and tangible impact on a person's quality of life. I've never had a job like that, but it seems like it could be rewarding, a reason to keep earning.

My primary input on marriage is - be realistic about the financial intertwining of your lives. I went in with plans for zero kids, expecting his and hers accounts forever. The no kids thing worked out. Due to circumstances, instead of hitting fat FIRE, I am paying most of my spouse's expenses. I've been fortunate career wise, so it isn't a big deal, but my naive plan was shattered.

classical_Liberal

Frita

Post by Frita »

I bet the shorter decompression time felt pretty great. Still, cycling through the contentment-discontentment cycle sounds exhausting. You mentioned that the first month is pretty smooth. Is there any way to limit a contract to a month or so, like nurses on maternity leave?

Bummer that the library job was canceled due to COVID. When they reopen, you’ll have your application ready. Just change the date.

Hm, public health wanting you to commit to however long they need you seems one-sided. It seems like a bit of a red flag to me. Good for you being honest about your limitations.

It sounds like some other type of semi-ERE would work better for you than just quitting to a lean existence. You know that about yourself.
classical_Liberal wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:48 pm
Yeah, I do derive some satisfaction from nursing. The problem, the parts I like are really barely even part of the job anymore. It really feels more like a healthcare assembly line.
This sounds exactly like teaching!