classical_Liberal's Semi-ERE

Where are you and where are you going?
Augustus

Re: classical_Liberal's Semi-ERE

Post by Augustus » Mon May 13, 2019 11:20 am

I think you guys are overcomplicating this. You only have a certain number of years to live, and even fewer years that will be in prime physical health. The plain fact is you're location independent anywhere in the USA. I have come to realize that the idea that you can plan out 30 years is an illusion, for several reasons, death being one of them, you don't get to choose when or how you clock out, you can only limit risk, but you cannot eliminate it. If you really want to go somewhere or do something just go do it. If you like where you are now, stay there.

You have a skill that afaik you can use anywhere in the USA, you have more money than 95% of the population, you could not work for years with literally no impact on your day to day life and needs. You're planning to semiRE and not touch principal. Ergo, you are already free. You cannot know where you want to live until you try new places, because you cannot predict how you'll feel in other places. It's the same problem as not being able to know what you'll do in retirement until you retire, you cannot solve it until you have data on what it's like to be retired and what you enjoy when retired, and that data simply does not exist, you cannot plan on liking what other people like because of individual variation. If you're spending more than an hour or two thinking about it you've probably already reached the point of diminishing returns.

Renting makes a whole lot of sense, never buy until you've rented a year or two in a given location.

Have fun dude!

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal » Wed May 15, 2019 3:20 am

@Augustus
I make everything too complicated! Ohh, and speaking of Memes. My friend used her cricket machine to make the "Come and Take it" tee-shirt I wanted! 8-)

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 » Wed May 15, 2019 6:28 am

I think you are telling me to take the time to deliberately design a social network, in the same way I have taken the time to deliberately design financial flows. This is a great idea, how would you suggest I go about taking inventory on my potential future needs/desires from non-financial yields of said social network?
Well, the first thing to notice would be that your financial flows do occur within a social network, because money is mostly a human invention/convention. As in, "I want to feel secure, so I invest in U.S. Treasuries."

That said, the simplest way to take an inventory of potential needs/desires would be to look at a big list of Values and do some clarification. For example:https://www.threadsculture.com/core-values-examples Then think about whether a social framework which models or complements this value would best grow it. For instance, you might be best served associating with similarly physically fit people to reinforce that value, but charity requires recipient. Usually it is more complex than this.

My garden project is out in the open in an urban area, so it is very common for people to approach and start a conversation with me. Recently, my garden partner was joking about how that never happens to him when he is there by himself. This is because my appearance and manner makes me very "approachable" and his does not. He might prefer to be more "approachable" and I might prefer to be less "approachable", and self-aware alter our appearance or behavior in alignment with that desire.

All of our interactions with other humans are based on appearance and/or behavior, and usually it is the case that if you think of a Value, and then you think of behavior from others that would exhibit or reinforce that value, and you think of what qualities would solicit that behavior from you, then those qualities/behaviors will likely solicit that behavior from others. For example, let's say you value Admiration, and you think you will feel Admired when a room full of people is focused on you with their attention or even maybe clapping for you, so you think of situations when you felt compelled to give somebody your full attention and then clap, and you do your best to mimic/learn the behavior set or skills of that person.

Really no different than thinking about how water moves through and across a landscape, except you are considering behaviors of free-roaming creatures in context where they are part of your experience.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal » Sun May 19, 2019 6:35 pm

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 6:28 am
For example, let's say you value Admiration, and you think you will feel Admired when a room full of people is focused on you with their attention or even maybe clapping for you, so you think of situations when you felt compelled to give somebody your full attention and then clap
:lol: literally, You are starting to take my ENTJ to the extreme.

Honestly though, I prefer my to take my accolades in private, from a single, or small group of people I've actually helped or added value to. Large scale forced admiration sickens the Gen X'er in me. If any of my accomplishments become too well known, that draws unwanted attention from "the man". Hence limiting my future ability to stick it to "him" in under the radar, ever-so-subtle ways.

I can think of two types of people I really admire. At the extremes and combinations of. The first are those who are actively fighting for some form of "mission". Whether fighting for or against something bigger than themselves. Purposely being outside of the norm*. The second would be those who are very much outside the norm, but are more so because they are oblivious to the norm. They simply do what makes sense to them. Incidentally, I would classify myself as mostly the former and my GF mostly the latter. Both of these come with obvious drawbacks though.

I've also found myself very attracted to first generation immigrants to the US, particularly if originally from poorer areas of the globe. Probably because they represent a very good middle ground between the two. A mission, but not really for or against anything. They simple use the parts of the new system in which they live to maximize personal/family situation and mostly ignore the rest. They see flows for what they are vs what they were acculturated to see.

(*) Incidentally, this is why I don't dislike the late Millennial/Gen Z SJW youth cult, even though some of their ideals are wacky. They are simply acting in concert towards a perceived mission. Very sheltered youth who have lacked first hand true atrocities to fight against. I'm optimistic that this group, once refined and seasoned with age/real-world experience, can bring about some positive change.

Anyway, I would bet that if I manage to create a social network close to a maximum Dunbar number with the type of people I like, doing the types of things I'm interested in, then the flows I had experienced before will probably manifest themselves naturally. I think my biggest problem right now is that I have maybe 10% of that number of good relationships in my life. This is very much a result of social burnout from nursing. I took @suomalainen's advice a while back and actually talked to coworkers about this phenomenon, and it turns out it's VERY prevalent. At least I'm not crazy

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 » Sun May 19, 2019 9:48 pm

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that "you" wanted admiration. It was just an easy example.