classical_Liberal's Semi-ERE

Where are you and where are you going?
cmonkey

Re: classical_Liberal's Semi-ERE

Post by cmonkey » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:12 pm

Nice update and story. Yea I'm glad we haven't moved up there yet, MN has gotten a ton of snow. We just got some rain. :lol:

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:18 pm

Nice foreground guns shot! Your GF has a good eye ;)

My DD27 went to school in New Orleans and I really like visiting her there. I stayed in a nice hostel near a rough neighborhood the first time I was there. The last time I was there I tent camped in a park very close to the city that was highly populated with feral swamp-dwelling cats. Unfortunately, somebody stole a very large cargo hauler right off the roof of our vehicle in broad daylight.

Mister Imperceptible

Post by Mister Imperceptible » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:52 pm

NOLA is fun, been there twice now, and that’s saying something because I haven't travelled much. You should have stuck around and educated that reporter some. The world is dumber now because you’re hoarding information.

We had 1100 square feet for a family of five. I shared a bedroom with my brother right thru high school graduation. Fun times let me tell you.

suomalainen

Post by suomalainen » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:16 pm

Two things: Growing up in the 80s was the best. And you shouldn't have posted a pic of the back of your head. I was able to use Alan's faceback app to get a match on your face.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:00 pm

@cmonkey
Yeah GF says the same about Des Moines. We are supposed to get another blizzard here on Wednesday. I have no idea what they are going to do with more snow, the 2 lane streets are down to 1 lane the way it is!!

@7WB5
She's got good taste, I have better! Sorry to hear about the NOLA experience. There is definitely a crime issue down there, but I can't imagine it's any worse than Detroit, and you can handle yourself there well enough.

@MI
Yes I'm greedy with that common knowledge. I can't believe the station sent a guy down to report on it that didn't even know basics. He actually said something to the effect of "they usually just send me to crime scenes". :lol: poor guy

@Suo
Agreed, 80's rocked and kids these days....Luckily I don't have to deal with that. :P wrt to doxing, I tend to behave under the assumption anything I post online will get back to me at some point. Such is the world we live in, can't rage against the machine. The main reason I withhold some details here is because other forumites remain anonymous, so it's a thing and I wanna stay cool. I much prefer to operate in the realm of letting all of my dirty laundry air out. That way if people want to use it against me, at least it came from me directly. It has the added effect of reducing stress associated with trying to hide shit. Besides I'm an ENTJ, all of my worldviews and personal projects are known far and wide, I can't keep my mouth shut if I wanted to. :shock:

Edit: All of the being said, just an FYI to any regular forum participant who wants my IRL contact info feel free to PM. I'm always looking for like-minded folks to chat with. Or just do it Suo's way :lol:
Last edited by classical_Liberal on Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:02 am

classical_Liberal wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:00 pm
...The main reason I withhold some details here is because other forumites remain anonymous, so it's a thing and I wanna stay cool. I much prefer to operate in the realm of letting all of my dirty laundry air out. That way if people want to use it against me, at least it came from me directly. It has the added effect of reducing stress associated with trying to hide shit. Besides I'm an ENTJ, all of my worldviews and personal projects are known far and wide, I can't keep my mouth shut if I wanted to. :shock:
I don't have to update my journal anymore, I'm just going to link directly to yours instead. It's much more efficient than keeping two concurrent and identical journals :lol:

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:18 pm

@Fbeyer
Sweet! we can tag team it then? :lol:

Augustus

Post by Augustus » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:19 pm

One of my favorite sayings ever. Thank you Sparta. And I share your love of NOLA. Apparently we should all make a club.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:03 pm

@Augustus
I almost spent $20 on a thin, cheap ass tee-shirt with that logo! The only thing that stopped me was my nearly year long streak of not buying new clothes. I ended up buying some underwear on clearance when I got home and blew it anyway, what a waste!

I know a nurse who has one of those cricket machines, maybe I can make a trade...?

Jin+Guice

Post by Jin+Guice » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:53 pm

Oh I see, everyone is just always coming to New Orleans and not hitting me up. It's fine, I get it, y'all don't like fun. Don't come crying to me when the "I bet I know where you got dem shoes mister" guys charge you $20 for squirting hand lotion all over your Gruntens.

Thanks to my boy classical_Liberal for keeping it real and hanging out!

Mister Imperceptible

Post by Mister Imperceptible » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:38 pm

Hey c_L, sounds like you’re ready to mouth off to a tyrannical government and conceal your barbarous relics or something :D

@J&G
I was last in NOLA in 2013. But if you come to the Northeast let me know.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:31 pm

Jin+Guice wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:53 pm
Thanks to my boy classical_Liberal for keeping it real and hanging out!
It wont be the last time! Hows your job situation, practicing what you preach? 8-)

@MI
Always that, plus the potential sexual innuendos of telling a certain someone to come take my cannon.

Jin+Guice

Post by Jin+Guice » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:40 pm

Man! What kind of question is that? How's YOUR job situation?

In all seriousness I need to figure out how to get out of this job and still live my life as a total slacker.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:30 pm

Jin+Guice wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:40 pm
Man! What kind of question is that? How's YOUR job situation?
Ha! you know damned well how it is... the same, because I'm a wussy! I hold you to higher standards than me!

Seriously though, a bit of dread having to start back up the FT BS next week. I've finally been getting back to baseline c_L after the trip and a week of downtime. I actually did apply for a low-pay/skill PT job, with flexible hours. Waiting to hear back. It's certainly not worth the money if I don't like it, but I have to start trying some different stuff. I can directly compare to nursing, see if I'd rather have a brainless job for twice the number of hours PRN nursing would pay.

Seppia

Post by Seppia » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:53 am

Man the 80s!
I’m a “last year Xer” from 1980 and I kinda like how we live in a status of semi permanent irrelevance on a demographic scale. We kinda fly under the radar unnoticed.
Everybody talks only about Boomers ruining the future and those pesky spoiled millennials, while we always get a pass.
I guess it’s karma rewarding us for having to experience hair bands and Milli Vanilli :lol:

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:33 am

Just something I wanted to share:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_1PNZdHq6Q

My GF actually follows this Doc on social media. When she saw this video, she felt it accurately describes the feelings I have towards nursing at present. I would mostly agree, except I think he takes it a bit too far when comparing front-line healthcare workers with soldiers. Still, anyone who follows my journal due to their interest in healthcare, and/or healthcare jobs should take a look. I think the "burnout" I often describe is very much better described as "Moral Injury" in the way this video lays it out.

@seppia
We also had Grunge and Rap when it was good!

Seppia

Post by Seppia » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:00 am

True!
Man, I think about Cypress Hill alone and I start crying.

But I have to admit I’m in the camp of “grunge was never good”.
My reason for hating is that it displaced Heavy Metal as a popular genre and basically killed it (except for some stuff coming out of Scandinavia there is nothing good in metal after 1995-6).

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:13 pm

4/7/2019

History/Story-time:
I’m going to skip this (hopefully popular) section in this update. As Semi-ERE execution date is nearing, I have a lot on my mind wrt finances and life. I’d like to focus on writing out my thought processes here to help solidify them in my mind and, as always, to get feedback from the incredibly intelligent fourmites.

Life & Such:
I’m finally ready for Semi-ERE. I know this because:

1. A couple of the last financial puzzle pieces fell into place. I’ll address these directly in the finance section, but would like to give @Tyler9000 a big shout out for his recent update to Portfolio Charts. It has allowed me to visualize historical returns on my portfolio and determine an optimal withdrawal strategy in my specific circumstance. I was also able to finalize emergency “red-lights” on my plan to significantly reduce odds of running low on financial capital in older age.

2. Surprisingly, I have found some peace at work. This is not to say I suddenly love nursing again like its 2013. Rather, in accepting this assignment at a more difficult hospital, I expected to burn out quickly. That has not happened. As a matter of fact, I have found some contentment and sense of accomplishment going home after really hard shifts. Now, don’t get me wrong, having to work so hard, every single day, with no end in sight, would put me in burnout very soon. What I have come to realize is that doing it for one shift (12 hours) every week or two, actually has some benefits for me. Although I somewhat dread it in the begging of a shift, at the end I feel pretty damned good. Like a workout.

3. The GF had to take a contract almost 100 miles away. The local one (ie one in same location as me) fell through, last minute. So, for now, I only see her every other weekend. This kind’a sucks because I’ve grown used to having her around. It solidifies that fact I need more flexibility in my work. I can afford to make that happen, she cannot.

4. I’ve moved from lingering excitement, fear, and anxiety about semi-ERE to acute joy and terror. This emotional shift signifies the “pie in the sky” dream has shifted into a soon to be reality.

I'd like to make an important point here, because it's not all that often articulated. The big hang-up in semi-ERE execution has been mental in nature. This because financially, I probably could have executed on this semi-ERE plan (including the long term cash flow goal) at any point after 2017. Certainly the scalable part time income was there, FU money was there, desire to focus on other things was there, I simply wanted more security and had tons of fears about a life post FT work. All of the extra savings/investments and financial withdrawal details below are simply one tool I used to to get over these mental and emotional hang-ups. So I urge anyone following a semi-ERE path to spend at least as much time dealing with mental preparation as you would with the financial. Particularly if in easy-mode, because the money really does pile up quickly as side effect of ERE. The mental stuff takes much more time, effort, and preparedness.

Financial:
Here’s the chart:

I’ve surpassed the yellow line, which is “capital for life”. Any real returns can be spent down and I still get to retire at “normal” age of 63 in 20 years.

Using Tyler9000’s update I was able to plot a rule based withdrawal plan. It works with my bucket approach and ensures the “old age” retirement bucket never drops below acceptable threshold (at least never came close 1970+ historically). I can still put a “hard hold” on any withdrawal from capital if it drops below threshold of 100% historical success for old age retirement, but I wouldn’t have had to with start dates 1971-74, 2000-03, or 2008 (ie the worst from Tyler9000’s data pool).
The rules I’m setting for withdrawals are a bit complicated. I’m going to withdraw no more than 5% of portfolio value or a max of 24k annually if portfolio grows. However, I will maintain the option to withdraw at least 12k annually, even if it’s higher than 5%, if for some reason I want to focus on opportunities that are not income generating. The last exception is a hard hold on any withdrawals if investments drop below present value minimum for a safe 63+ retirement.

Currently, I believe 12K to be the absolute minimum I can spend and still maintain close to my standard of living. Obviously, I have hopes to increase the utility of 12K in the future, but there are no guarantees. At my current Wheaton level it would be very tight, but doable for a year or two. I say this because I would be forced to make some life changes if, for instance, I needed to replace my car on this budget. I would simply have to go car free. I’d also have to give up a couple of other bad habits immediately. My average annual spend over the past 4 years has been around 20k (although it’s a steadily declining number), so this will be my goal combination from withdrawal and income from other activities, at least initially. At any point, I can choose to scale up nursing work if other activities haven’t yielded ongoing income stream(s) or expense reductions.

The ultimate long term goal (5+ years) is to even out cash flow with activities in which I can find pleasure and life-flow. Some may positively impact spending, others may do so for income. By that point I’d like to only rely on financial assets as a buffer for periods of slow travel, transitional situations, or to take advantage of opportunities. Of course, also to make up for issues that may arise in older age. If I am unable to even out cash flow more naturally, the withdrawal plan will allow my capital to maintain minimally acceptable levels and I can always find some type of minimal hassle job to cover the difference.

I’m aiming for 300K, so year one withdrawal max will be 15K. I’m actually targeting an 8K-12K withdrawal and 8-12K of income. I feel this is a good base point. I actually WANT to withdraw some as a psychological desensitization/SWAN experiment. These goal amounts will likely change year over year as I experiment with finding flow between nursing and other various activities.

For general reference: Earning 8K annually would require an average of 64 hours a month of $10 minimum wage work (two, eight hour weekly shifts), or about 25 hours a month of PRN nursing work (one 12 hr shift every two weeks). At a fixed, inflation adjusted 4% WR rate, in my particular situation, there is currently a 99% chance of historical success, at a 5% WR that drops to just below 78%.

It’ll be interesting to see how all of this evolves over the next couple of years. If our home base changes, if I end up enjoying nursing more on a PT regular schedule vs full time intermittent. What other ideas I can come up with when my mind is taken away from the full time grind.

New Semi-ERE Scorecard:
1) Total assets: 184% of minimum threshold for withdrawal hold.
2) Target portfolio withdrawal for 2020: $8-12K (2.8%-4.2% of Balance).
3) Target income generation for 2020 $8K-12K.
4) FI with 100% success, based on historical simulation, if spending is below $11,615 annually.
5) WR based on 12 mo rolling spend ($17,800): 6.1%
6) YTD Income $N/A +/- YTD assets change $N/A – YTD spending = YTD Net Worth Change $N/A(*)
*Will begin reporting after stopping full time work

Pre Semi-ERE Checklist (Requirements)
  • Finalize initial home base city plan, there are still a couple of options on this location
  • Find acceptable downsized apartment in whichever home base city is chosen
  • 310K in total assets (300K plus 10K for remainder of 2019 and transition costs)
  • Finish current contract (June 8)
  • Doctor’s appointment and any needed testing/preventative medical procedures
  • Dentist appointment and any needed dental work
  • Obtain PRN nursing position (and state license if needed) in whichever home base city is chosen
____________________ not required, but preferred ______________________
  • Complete nursing continuing education requirements for license on current company’s dime
  • Save 5-8K in 1 yr CD for an adventure vehicle (likely minivan) to be purchased at later date
  • Renew for a partial contract through current lease (July 31) to avoid double housing costs

bigato

Post by bigato » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:49 pm

You can drop the “semi” already. This is just ultra-careful traditional ERE. And it shows you are terrified. :)
Don’t worry man. You’ll easily double the utility of this money in the first year, plus you’ll find plenty of small sources of income. For example, you’ll start cooking more, baking, etc. And then you’ll sell bread to some friends, or to some local store, or via internet. You’ll be able to live in a place not so central because you’ll not work as nurse often, and then you’ll be able to find a cheaper rent. You’ll bike more. You’ll pick some new hobbies and half of them will have potential to earn some small income. Eventually you’ll have to shut some hobby down because it started making too much money and are becoming a business.
Just enjoy it, what you think is terror is actually the good adrenaline preparing your body to live for real.

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:11 pm

Wow. I'm super impressed and humbled that someone put the new calculator to such productive use.

I see a lot of my own journey in your post, from the detailed planning to the realization that the final boss blocking your path is more psychological than financial. I can also relate to your comparison of work to a workout. All I can say is that I'm very confident that no matter what happens in the future I think you have exactly the right thoughtful mindset to adapt and succeed.