classical_Liberal's Semi-ERE

Where are you and where are you going?
light_bulb_moment

Re: classical_Liberal's Semi-ERE

Post by light_bulb_moment » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:15 am

Volunteering? Just thought I'd put that out there...

Loving your journal, by the way. Keep it coming.

Augustus

Post by Augustus » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:16 pm

I'm going to resurrect an old part of your journal, you said previously there are 2 main routes for RN liscensure BSN and associate RN, and that BSN has a better chance of getting picked for PRN roles (i think?) I was wondering what you thought about this BSN degree: https://www.wgu.edu/online-nursing-heal ... html#close

Laughed at? Acceptable? Respectable? Since it's online I could study while doing my other work from home.

Also, is it possible to avoid graveyard when starting out? Assuming that I don't need the money, which I don't since I have my current skill for income. Is it possible to do PRN as a new grad?

Sorry for all the questions, but you've inspired me and now I'm really interested in being a PRN :)

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:51 pm

light_bulb_moment wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:15 am
Volunteering?
I've tried volunteering before. My feelings were mixed. Most local volunteer work requires very monotonous tasks under the supervision of very unorganized people. ie It's like a having bad job.

Sure, "greater good" is being served, but I'm pretty sure If I want to make a difference in the world there are better ways to use my time to contribute. Maybe that makes me sound like a pompous ass? IDK
Augustus wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:16 pm
I'm going to resurrect an old part of your journal...
When it comes to direct patient care nurses, experience will always trump education.

Some hospitals may require BSN's for certain positions as there is an overall push for higher education levels in nursing. This is because research shows it decreases mortality. However, where that BSN comes from is rarely considered for the front-line patient care nurse, as long as it is accredited. Look at NCLEX pass rates, a good school should be at a bare minimum 90%. You don't want to go through all that work to repeatedly fail boards because they didn't prepare you. Otherwise, a pricey school is a waste.

The reason experience trumps education is because nursing is very much a "learn as you go" job. Hospitals invest a metric shit-ton of money training new grad nurses. Some have as long as six months to a year of full time training programs with preceptors. Then after that investment, about half of all new nurses end up not working in patient care, its a hard job to be good at. This is an investment hospitals like to avoid. If you've been a nurse for two years already, it's avoided and they already know they have a "winner".

Nursing is VERY geographically dependent. If your chosen area has a shortage, you'll have much better chance of getting what you want with less education/experience. ie currently in most of CA 2-year new grads are unemployable without experience. That same degree and experience level in much of the Midwest will get you hired in a five minute phone interview, site unseen.

PRN as a new grad is likely not going to happen. If a hospital hires you as a new grad, you have to get trained, that's too expensive and time consuming for a 3-4 shift a month nurse. Straight days with overnight on-call would be possible if you chose a specialty that works mainly days (endo, cath lab, etc), but otherwise unlikely as well. Hospitals tend to give the coveted straight day shifts to the proven core staff members to keep them around.

If you are a bit of a positive outlier (learn quickly on the job, etc) and in a good geographic market. A PRN job would probably be possible after a year of experience.

Feel free to ask more questions if I'm not giving you the info you're looking for. :D

CS

Post by CS » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:15 am

Unwillingness to marry means unwillingness to put the relationship above all else. It's a choice. You retain the ability to set your priorities whichever way you want, but will have to accept that you are losing out on some of what a relationship can be. There is a difference.

Bankai

Post by Bankai » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:26 pm

@ CS - I can't see how an unwillingness to invite the government into your relationship means an unwillingness to put the relationship above all else (although I also can't see why would anyone put the relationship above all else, i.e. own health or life. But that's me, YMMV).

Disclaimer: we're married. We're read 'How I found freedom...' too late.

CS

Post by CS » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:50 am

@Bankai
I wasn't thinking about the government so much as the public commitment, the oftentimes merging of funds (many people) or income (Jacob and his wife - a model I quite like actually). Having been married once, I did like it, didn't do it perfectly and probably won't do it again. I'm too old and have too many things I want to do and cannot foresee finding anyone I like that much (but surprises do happen).

Augustus

Post by Augustus » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:09 am

Thank you sir! That gave me a lot to mull over. My two main decision points are can I avoid night shifts, and how quickly can I get to be a PRN. This would be a semi-retirement gig, I'd have FU money, and I've got a family (which means time constraints and my aversion to night shifts), so I don't think I'd have the motivation a single fresh out school person would have. On the other hand, I am genuinely fascinated by the subject, I plan to learn about medicine/healthcare regardless even if it's just for fun, and I genuinely like to help people, it's one of my life goals, so it seems like it would be a good fit if I can swing it.

I've read that you can swing dayshift only if you focus on certain types of jobs, people said that in hospitals it's hard to avoid night shifts, but other types of jobs are day shift only since that's when their hours of operation are ("home health, hospice, hospital case management, doctors offices and community health clinics are easiest to find these day shift positions"). I'm clueless, so my question is, would those types of jobs allow me to get the experience needed to be a PRN? Or do you have to do some kind of specialty nursing only available at a hospital for there to be a good chance of being an in demand PRN? Is there such a thing as a generic doctors office nurse turned PRN, or is there only strong demand for specialized nursing? Nursing specialization honestly hadn't crossed my mind at this point since I'm so new to the concepts, but it makes lots of sense that specialization determines demand, just as in my current industry, you want to be this type or that type of programmer since 80% of total demand is for a handful of skills.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:41 am

CS wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:15 am
Unwillingness to marry...
I'm assuming you were commenting about my statement in 7WB5's new journal.
classical_Liberal wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:01 pm
Here's how I explain my inherent distaste for marriage to my GF. Marriage would create an artificial barrier to ending our relationship. Huge financial, legal, and lifestyle complications exist should we wish to end it. Without marriage, I wake up every single day and get to choose to stay with you, because I love you and it's what I want, even if we have a tough day. If we are married I would wake up every day and feel forced to stay with you, due to the above mentioned issues. Even on the good days, this would be a splinter in the back of my mind. Eventually, resentment will build and my mind will create unhappiness where, if I felt free to choose, none would otherwise exist.
I'm not sure putting a relationship above all else is a very healthy thing to do. I'm also not sure staying unmarried is preventing a relationship from being all it could be, if the implication is that I would be better in some way.. It would just be different once marriage is in play. Could be good, could be bad. I have no problem with publicly announced social commitment. Permanence is something I have a problem with, see above.
Bankai wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:26 pm
We're read 'How I found freedom...' too late.
Ha! Although Harry Browne's book is a game changer regarding thought processes, I'm not sure his advice on relationships is the best. Human relationships are more than contracts between each other, IMO. Although I dislike the idea of getting governments approval to sanctify a relationship, it's those exact sanctification entanglements that dissuade me from the idea.
Augustus wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:09 am
That gave me a lot to mull over.
Well, here's a little more.

Yes, certain specialties outside of the hospital have better hours. Be forewarned though, the nurse you see at the clinic at your annual physical is probably not a RN, maybe not even an LPN. Unless it's a specialty clinic, there is just no need for RN expertise in those situations. Some RN's take those positions for varying reasons (hours being a big one), but they are paid as LPN's or less.

Specialty clinics, like cardiology, neurology, transplant, internal medicine, etc do have RN's as part of a team. Generally leading a small team of LPN's and CNA's, doing some of the more complex stuff. I really don't know too much about clinic work. Big clinics may have PRN positions, more likely part time with fixed hours though.

Specialization in nursing is the norm. I've learned probably a half dozen, it increases my flexibility in contract work. Although an ER nurse would be initially be lost in the ICU or a med-surg floor, the learning curve is quick. A hospital nurse is a hospital nurse. A clinic nurse or long term care nurse would need to be completely retrained to work in a hospital, higher acuity. The opposite is not as true, more like minor training in processes. Clinic Nurses & LTC deal with a fuck-ton more insurance and paperwork issues. Then there's jobs with very little patient contact like research, informatics, administration, the list goes on, and on

You gotta remember, there's something like 2.2 million RN's in the US. The jobs really vary, I only know hospital stuff well. Hospitals do employ, by far, the largest number of RN's. They are generally the jumping off point for other specializations (ie learn general hospital med-surg, then specialize).

I guess you just have to get an idea of what you really want to do/learn. If it's not hospital, I'm not your best resource, particularly with staffing nuances of different levels of care.