classical_Liberal's Journal

Where are you and where are you going?
dagiffy

Re: classical_Liberal's Journal

Post by dagiffy » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:41 pm

Wow. You are way more badassity than I am. Or at least you think through it more. I applaud your courage!

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:51 pm

SustainableHappiness wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:06 am
Classical Liberal! I hadn’t read your journal much before, I didn’t realize you were a nurse. Fun Fact my DW is a nurse as well, albeit in a Canadian context which is probably different from an operational perspective than an American nursing context.
@SH Nursing can vary wildly between hospitals and specialty here in the US. Since I've been contract traveling, I'm essentially going the the places with large staffing issues, so I tend walk into the worst & that skews my view point a little. I've been a nurse almost five years now (a long time in a single career for me) and I've come to the relaization; nursing is like alcohol, great fun in moderation, with the right people. However, consume too much or with the wrong people around and you will regret it.

Thanks for the encouragement! I enjoy reading your stuff as well!
dagiffy wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:41 pm
Wow. You are way more badassity than I am. Or at least you think through it more. I applaud your courage!
@dagiffy You're alive!! Great to read some updates from you! I was truly inspired by the volt stories a couple years back when my journey towards ERE was in its infancy. Honestly your journal and that of Herbertderp over on MMM were really instrumental in my change in focus towards ERE as a goal vs the MMM forum model; earn big, save some.

Glad to read you're living with the wife again. It was obviously taking its toll on you being apart. Also glad you got out of oakland, those work stories sounded bad... You were taking almost as much abuse as a nurse :lol:
Last edited by classical_Liberal on Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dagiffy

Post by dagiffy » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:28 pm

Almost as much as a nurse. Yes. I could avoid my patients if I wanted to...and I wanted to avoid them. The guys were on me because I'd actually look people in the eye and talk with them, and then pretty soon I couldn't get rid of them. The modus operandi is to ignore any human being that isn't on your crew. Any sign of acknowledgment is a sign of weakness, and that's when you get mugged.

I got run out of MMM forums. I made the mistake of going into some political forums where the vicious, childish hate was being spewed all over everything. I thought that was odd, seeing as it was coming from people who in other areas seemed to be rational people. Oh, the rage! So I took one party's nominee out of posts and substituted the other party's nominee (this was before the November election). I didn't copy/paste, I just typed it as though it were my opinion.

It got real vicious real fast. Within a few days I was banned for life with a "YOU ARE BANNED, YOU TRUMP SPAMMING ASSHOLE!!" message. I didn't support Trump at all, just switched names. Ah, well...

But I do have an account over there under a different name. I read in a thread where people were looking for me. One of my "friends" there said that I was banned because I had "lost my temper on a political forum". Ironic. I'm sure everyone has noticed, though, that if you disagree with either leftist or rightwinger opinions publicly, you are dismissed and your motivation chalked up to one of three things: ignorance, anger, or fear. Though there is a 4th one now, that of "hate". This one has rapidly gained popularity, especially since last November.

You couldn't possibly disagree with anyone intellectually or ideologically, right? You couldn't just discuss anything or have a bone of contention or point out silly, emotional "logic" using others' own words with another name attached. So, of the four motivations for my reckless typing, I was assigned "anger". And as an angry, out of control forum user, I was banned (not set to expire, as the message said).

So, I've been quite alive but active under a different name completely. The one who banned me seems to think all of my other posts since then are wonderful, and we have great interaction. I am just careful now to NOT point out that I think rabid, emotional political opinions are silly, at best. Harmful and destructive at worst.

And I moved out of the Volt, looking to sell this vehicle which I think rightly belongs in the Smithsonian.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:53 pm

dagiffy wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:28 pm
It got real vicious real fast. Within a few days I was banned for life with a "YOU ARE BANNED, YOU TRUMP SPAMMING ASSHOLE!!" message. I didn't support Trump at all, just switched names. Ah, well...
Oh man! Not to turn this into a MMM forum bitch session (I will anyway :lol: ), but I agree with your assessment that the political threads over there are VERY emotional and one-sided. Any expression of opposing views are quashed very quickly and viciously by forum members and the mods if you dare to defend your position logically (I'm not a Trump supporter either, but any divergence from coastal liberalism is beat up on). IMO it has also become a much less useful tool for median income or less aspiring FIRE'ees as well. The prevailing mentality has become that of upper 10% income earners spending like they are only top 20% income earners and patting each other on the back for being enlightened.

That being said, there are still a few journals and nonpolitcal threads I follow and have spent a great deal of time contributing to over there. So I mind my own business on those threads and avoid the rest. It's free entertainment and information exchange, so I will not complain about it again after this post. I have had to resist the temptation of directing some folks over here who seem to have the ERE mentality. The two main reason being; I'm not sure if our host here would appreciate it, and I'm selfish in that I don't want this forum to become a victim of it's own popularity like MMM forum. Luckily most over there who know of ERE think we are just extreme wackos, totally missing the point.

dagiffy

Post by dagiffy » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:18 pm

classical_Liberal wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:53 pm
Luckily most over there who know of ERE think we are just extreme wackos, totally missing the point.
Wackos! I'm not sure if you read my very first posts there when I first discovered there was an antidote to the consumerist lust of the West. I first laid out my situation, and early on my wife wasn't onboard so much. I was counseled to divorce her. Her job for 20 years was declared not a job but a hobby, simply because she made 25k per year doing it. I closed that thread and went to the journals.

I'm still only halfway to retiring dollar-wise, by my own reckoning, but that is if I keep this job. I moved way north on the left coast (much cheaper rent) but make the same wage. I loathe the industry and feel too old to go back to school to retrain, and I can't really quit earning an income or the bills will just drown us. Hard to know what to do, really. Can't see myself going on but the only other option is to give up! That's even worse.

Lots of homeless here, revered by the city council and the state, but still a rough crowd and I am not sure I want to join their crusade for no responsibilities, public sympathy, and social welfare sustenance. Oh, and keeping the cardboard and permanent marker industries going. I guess my situation could be worse: I could have a much suckier job. Or not have one, but I know I could get employed someplace easily. So many Help Wanted signs around here.

I see the MMM people as more of the preppy FIRE people, while over here we are the blue collar DIY people. So far from what I've seen the comments and so forth here are wonderful and show a friendly mob is lurking about.

Fish

Post by Fish » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:40 am

@CL - Responding to this entry: I think we already have the terminology for ERE types 1/2, the first being "FI/RE" and second being "semi-retirement." It seems a sufficient condition for pursuing FI/RE is to possess one or more of the following character traits: extreme, patient, hate work. If you're extreme, you'll get there quickly; if patient, you don't care how fast you get there; if you hate work, full retirement is the goal. Semi-retirement is much less common because it requires that none of the sufficient conditions for FI/RE be met, i.e. not extreme, impatient, and tolerate if not enjoy work.

Nice YMOYL wall chart. I like how the trends on both the spending and passive income curves suggest a crossover point that's not too far off in the future.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:57 pm

Fish wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:40 am
@CL - Responding to this entry: I think we already have the terminology for ERE types 1/2, the first being "FI/RE" and second being "semi-retirement." It seems a sufficient condition for pursuing FI/RE is to possess one or more of the following character traits: extreme, patient, hate work. If you're extreme, you'll get there quickly; if patient, you don't care how fast you get there; if you hate work, full retirement is the goal. Semi-retirement is much less common because it requires that none of the sufficient conditions for FI/RE be met, i.e. not extreme, impatient, and tolerate if not enjoy work.
Stop trying to take away my thunder of originality! :lol: More seriously, I now understanding why, in some of his blog posts from 8-9 years ago, Jacob had to focus on creating definitions of traditionally used words. Semi-RE doesn't really feel like the right term for having a balance of cash inflows/outflows through enjoyable activities with a huge surplus (less than FI) lying in wait... I guess it's as good a term as any.

The other issue also being; how do we define "work". Would I do what I am doing now if it wasn't building up a huge surplus? Absolutely not! I sacrifice too many aspects of my life to maintain the schedule and handle the work load my employers demand. So, in any definition of the word, I am definitely presently working . However, I truly enjoy the core function of nursing. If I were to do the same job, but on my schedule, in a place I want to be, for an amount of time that suits the balance life I want... Now is it "work"?

I suppose the best test is; would I pay to do it? That's also hard to determine because I find it more and more enjoyable to find ways to NOT pay for anything. Additionally, I have found that Chronesthesia, with regards to my predictions for future life satisfaction in varying lifestyles, is often less than accurate. Hence I have to actually "live it" to know the answer to the above question. If I the answer ends up being "yes", I'd pay to do it, then am I RE, but not FI? Lastly, I tend to be a very fickle person regarding what I enjoy to do with my time. What I might "pay to do" in 2019, could end up being drudgery in 2020. In that case, what initially wasn't work, turns into work. Then do I go from RE, to semi-RE even though my daily actives haven't changed at all? ... Who knows?!

Thanks for reading and the encouragement!

dagiffy

Post by dagiffy » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:10 pm

Why is it that having 5 nurses on the floor is great, but having 1 patient on the floor is an emergency?

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:18 pm

:lol: I sense a punchline...

dagiffy

Post by dagiffy » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:53 am

I used to be that guy that delivered pharmaceutical prescriptions to nursing homes and places like that. I noticed that sometimes they would say they had three nurses on the floor and they were happy about it. But sometimes they would say there was a resident on the floor and then everyone would take off running in a panic. I always wondered why the difference?

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:10 am

@Fish: I would note that if you are extreme in your frugality, very impatient and/or highly risk tolerant, with tendency towards being intermittently amused/engaged by paid employment, then it may happen that FU attitude will fill much of the gap of FU money.

dagiffy

Post by dagiffy » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:49 pm

I want to be the latter. How do I get there from here? Oh, wait, the first part allows you to be there, right?

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:05 pm

10/25/2017: A general life update

Work continues to be much more tolerable on night shifts, I’ve actually begun enjoying nursing again by avoiding all the management BS at my current assignment. Generally, when work is better I tend to focus a bit less on ERE goals. However, this time, I’m making some progress. I have been sticking to a much reduced food budget rather easily; focusing more on batch cooking large amounts of staples for refrigeration and separating meal sized meat portions for freezing vs mostly convenience foods previously. Meal prep time has not gone up from the convenience foods. I'm eating healthier and more inexpensively. Personal care items have shifted from target to amazon resulting in about 30% savings. I also committed to only purchasing any non-immediate consumable items (excluding things like food, personal care items, gasoline, ect) on the used market. The effects are exactly as Jacob describes. The used market's inherent inefficiency delays purchases and makes them more difficult, so I’m much more likely to seek alternative solutions (or live without a solution); which often ends up easier than trying to buy a solution used. Obviously, it’s much cheaper if I do end up making the purchase. I still have the goal of 18K total spend for 2018, I think these changes alone, if I continue to follow through, will end up dramatically moving the needle towards that end. Unfortunately, 2017 spending is likely to be an uptick from the 22K in 2016, but I’ll detail all of that in an end of year post.

I took a short road trip with the GF to Duluth, MN recently to enjoy the fall foliage. Unfortunately, I wasn’t the only one with this idea and the area was pretty packed with tourists on both the waterfront downtown and the nearby state park land. The cold weather did, at least, keep most from hiking too far into the superior trail, so only a couple miles upriver from Gooseberry Falls it was deserted and we got some peace. The trees are beautiful this time of year, particularly the maples.

The other positive was no hotel rooms or pay camp sites available, so we parked on the side of the road and slept in the car. I would have never been able to convince the GF to do this otherwise, she’s a bit of a snob in such matters, but she really seemed to get into it once it became a perceived need vs option. Personally, I prefer my car and rest areas cleanups to most other temporary accommodations when on a road trip. At the state park entrance I used the public rest rooms to clean up and brush my teeth before our day of wandering. According to my GF one of my fellow tourists came out of the men’s room complaining that “some guy” is using the restroom like it’s his personal bathroom. The GF had to agree with him about “that guys” rudeness, which pleased me to no end. :D

Regarding the GF, things are going pretty well from a relationship standpoint. She is respecting my need for some personal time. Our time together is good and I’m truly starting to care for/ appreciate her in deeper ways. I still have looming concerns over our long term prospects though. After initially showing excitement in the possibility of saving for some significant time off work to travel together, she seems to have lost interest (more given up that it can be done maybe). She’s in debt thanks to a BMW payment and a decent amount of student loans. Her income is enough that she could eliminate it all in a year and start some serious savings afterwards with only minor changes, but alas, her habits remain horrible.

Prior to our extended weekend road trip I had committed to trying a fast, thanks to conversations in this forum (a separate story, but I went 4 days without issues, a bit of uncomfortable hunger day 2, that was it. Although I’ve been on a warrior diet for nearly a decade, maybe that helped). She managed to eat in a restaurant at least 6 times in 4days! WTF? Anyway, I had little say in our meals since I wasn’t eating. My half of gas for the trip was about $30, plus another $20 for a couple of city-based waterfront activities (haunted boat…wooo). She probably spent more like $300. Amazing how two people can have the exact same experience, but one manages to manufacture 6X the spending. I guess I’ll keep trying to entice her with the emotional arguments about long-term travel, which seems to be a big motivator for her.

I have two weeks off starting at the beginning of November which marks my half-way point of this assignment. The GF is in the middle of her assignment a couple of hours away and cant get time off. So, I’m planning another, longer, solo road trip. Likely to Choco Canyon in NM inspired by Luxagraf's blog. The trip will be duel purpose as I have been meaning to check out some of the SW BLM land so many YouTube van-dwellers and folks like C40 seem to winter at. That life has great appeal to me as a fun way to start a life post FT work. Like I’ve stated before in this journal, I have a hard time envisioning how content I would be in a lifestyle until I spend some time doing it. So, a couple week trip is better than none.

I will try to write down some more general ramblings next month, then have a big end of year financial update the following month.
Last edited by classical_Liberal on Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fish

Post by Fish » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:13 am

I think it's apparent to anyone that's tried it, that buying used is harder than buying new, and furthermore it's a skill.

When buying new, you are buying a standardized good, i.e. it is undifferentiated between the multiple sellers offering it (new is new), and the terms of sale are usually completely identical between sellers. It's an immediate transaction and the only differences are price and shipping. Therefore, there are very few degrees of freedom. Search for the best price and you're done. Very easy and only requires the ability to determine the smaller of two numbers and swipe a credit card. Even if you mess up the number comparison you still get the item. :P

For used goods, you also have to deal with the condition of the item, your ability to appraise its quality (e.g. used cars), the seller and their responsiveness and reputation. Price is just one dimension among several (and furthermore it's also often negotiable). Transactions may not be immediate either, I'm thinking of craigslist flakes. :x Fortunately, thrift stores like Goodwill add a lot of convenience to the experience of buying used, and make it nearly as easy as buying new. But the best deals are usually found elsewhere. I like to think that I'm getting a lower price not because I'm getting an inferior or pre-depreciated product, but for the effort that I am putting into the transaction and the risk I am taking. But in reality both are true.

I was also impressed that you chose to start your fast when going on the road trip (where food is more expensive due to being away from home). You get web-of-goals points if that was a deliberate side effect. Also, I wouldn't be too hard on the GF about the eating out, when she was willing to sleep in the car. Are your concerns about long-term prospects mostly financial in nature? If so, I would say that things are going really well. You can always choose to waive that contingency.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:22 pm

@fish
I've been using thrift stores as my go-to for clothing for quite some time. Other items are really "hit or miss" in them, and you are correct, generally not priced as well as Craig's List or other private listings. Ebay seems to be a good way to get an idea of price for certain items(tech, electronics), others I have to kind-of guess. I have also had to deal with CL flakes, usually for smaller items, larger ticket items people tend to really want to get rid of. So far I haven't gotten any lemons, keep my fingers crossed.

My biggest concern over the GF is financial, but not in the sense that I care how she chooses to spend her money. I know of many good relationships with DINK couples who keep completely separate finances even when living together. I'm more concerned about lifestyle choices available due to financials. We have many of the same lifestyle goals, but she is a good deal younger than me and tends to think shorter term. For example, when I go on my 2 week road trip, she is going to Seattle for a weekend with friends. The cost of her W/E trip could fund a month worth of PNW camping/slow travel. To her this makes sense because, even though she would prefer a month of slow travel, she can't afford to take a month off. I can afford it (so could she if she made better decisions), so where does that put us if I start taking advantage of FU money or FI in the near future? If I only need intermittent income and she can only get a 3 day weekend, how will that play out? Those are the scenarios I worry about for a long-term relationship with her.

Oh... yes I did plan the fast to concide with the road trip to save money on food. :shock: there is hope for me yet! Thanks for reading!

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:17 pm

I just watched the film "Tracks" last night with my SO........the conversation SHE instigated afterward caught me by surprise......"what do we have to do now in order to be able to do something similar in the future". This morning she commited to tracking her spending in categories so we can start a combined budget and financial picture.

My fears around SO are almost identical to yours, she's 4 years my junior and her NW is 25% of mine. I'll either have to wait for her to catch up, or subsidize her lifestyle to match my own.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:48 pm

@2B1S

Thanks, I'll check out the movie, plot synopsis seems interesting.

My GF has had some ah-ha moments as well. One just occurred; she was planning a vacation to Playa del Carmen in January for a friends wedding. Constant hassle trying to plan with the resort for room sharing with her friends, airfare times & dates, etc, left her very frustrated as the costs are growing along with the hassle factor for a very short 5 day trip. I consoled her, of course! I pulled up images of the beautiful Caribbean beaches, showing her how much fun it will be... I also pulled up CL listings of apartments near the same location and translated a few of the Spanish listed ad's. She calculated that for the same price we both could have driven or flown on cheap airfares, rented an apartment and stayed for the entire winter. I smiled and agreed with her "discovery"; if only we weren't dependent on income from our jobs.

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:15 pm

Missed all the financial porn on page 1!

Fish

Post by Fish » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:48 pm

I also watched “Tracks” with my DW (ESFJ, mid-30s, children) after reading about the wonderful effect it had on @2Birds1Stone’s SO. Fair movie, but did not get the same results. Absolutely zero PF discussion resulted. :|

She sensed there was some ulterior motive and so I shared the 2B1S review prior to watching. It’s likely any chance of success was destroyed even before the movie started. :P But I do think the personality and life-phase differences outweigh any effect that may have had.

Just wanted to share my experience to temper expectations in case anyone else was going to try it as ERE conversion material.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:50 pm

11/30/2017
A few updates...

Money/Finance
Mr Market continues to be kind this year, my overall passive investments are easily yielding double digit returns despite having a large allocation of cash. The only non-passive move I have made all year was a recent sell of half my VNQ REIT holdings to purchase OHI. OHI is a healthcare REIT which has very effective, proven management and currently has a snag with one of it's lessees. My experience in healthcare makes me confident that, although certain healthcare systems are struggling, many have "figured out" the profitably problem in the today's market. Those who have figured it out are looking for "beds" wherever they can get them. This means OHI will easily be able to fill empty buildings should the lessee collapse. I feel it's currently a value priced REIT.

This "easy money" has pushed my thinking towards charity. I feel charity is important and have been ignoring this part of my life for the past couple of years due to my focus on accumulation. I did some research and found Kiva. It's a charity that provides loans to families and small business in developing countries. The model of "help people help themselves" is very consistent with my morality. Kiva allows a person to lend/donate money to one or several loan requests. The goal is to provide capital that allows a person/family to become self sufficient. The money is repaid and can be "reinvested" into other endeavors. Kiva asks for donations to cover funding and servicing of the loan. All of this means an initial donation can (less the funding/service) be reallocated again and again as repayment takes place. This seems ideal as I can afford larger donations of capital now, while still employed. The capital can then be re-donated with less cost (only funding fees and delinquent payments) in the future. This choice will increase my spending in 2017 to a level that irks me a bit, but it seems like a good, longer-term solution for giving when I have lower cash flow.

November spending was below my monthly goals for 2018 (18K) without the charitable donation. It's a good practice run and I intend to continue with my budget of $1500/mo total from this point forward. So far, its really not been difficult at all.

Life
I took a two week road trip with an end point in Chaco Canyon, New Mexico. It was a great trip and got me away from some of the initial cold of Midwest winters. This trip did solidify some thoughts I have had about Van-life. Living in my car for a vacation was great, but I do not think I'm cut out to full-time it without a small TT or RV. Ideally, a cheap home base with road trips and some longer-term international travel is what I see in my future. This has caused me to begin to think about longer term housing solutions. Moving from sublease to sublease on apartments is fine while I am working full-time, but the cost of renting continues to climb and I worry I may eventually be priced out of many areas in the US. To avoid retyping my thoughts, here is a quote from me in another thread regarding housing...
classical_Liberal wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:37 pm
This is truly the beast for someone who wants travel in spurts, but also chill at home, maybe make some money for awhile. I regularly oscillate between options. Renting is the default, but rent continues to rise in the more appealing places and I would really not rather have to find roommate(s) in every new area I wish to live for a few months. Options like your previous housing (private space with community baths/kitchens) are few and far between; when they do exisit they are generally reserved for college kids or homeless. With a budget similar to yours, COL from a rental housing perspective could price me out of many areas I'd like to try out.

Van/RV is an option and could be stored rather cheaply when traveling outside North America, but this lifestyle has it's downsides. I've experimented traveling for 2-3 weeks staying only in my car on BLM/campgrounds/rest areas, etc (admittedly smaller than van/RV). It's great for a vacation, but after time, I find myself lusting for the indoor privacy a home offers and daily showers.

Owning would, at least, make housing costs predictable. However, those predictable costs apply even when traveling, unless it's rented when you are gone. That is a relative hassle (or cost for management company), one I would not want to deal with when out of the country. What if I need to cut international travel short and it's leased? It also forces a person to pick location and stay, since real estate transactions are so expensive; ties up a fair amount of net worth even if you leverage part of it, etc.

I occasionally look at very small single family homes in the rural Midwest (an hour or so from cities/airports/potential PT income sources) which are priced VERY low. Risk is lower if I could pick up a house for <50K (which is possible in the rural areas). I also occasionally look at owner occupied 3-4plex situations in moderate sized cities. With leverage, one could potentially break even on housing given some time, even if using a management company. Still, it carries with it all the unpleasantness of being a landlord and stuck in one location.
No solution as of yet, but I will continue to ponder as it's best I make a choice BEFORE my "regular" income stream is cut. Lack of leverage/finance options could be an issue for some of the options when my income streams become less "normal".

Regarding the GF... We continue to get more serious. We are currently trying to coordinate our next travel assignments to be in the same city this Spring. Eliminating the 2.5 hour drive time to see each other will be a step in the right direction. It's very difficult to advance the relationship at a distance; too hard to tell what it will be like spending time together almost daily without actually doing it.

Positive developments from her on the financial end. She has asked me to sit down with her and evaluate her debt situation. She wants to pay off her expensive luxury car ASAP so she can sell it for something more reasonable. She thinks (correctly I might add), that the reduction of this huge expense will allow her to tackle her student loans much more quickly.

@fish and @2B1S
The largest change here has happened since I began appealing to her emotional side. I have had many frank discussions about how I intend to slow-travel long term, talked to people from other countries with her present re COL, told her stories about my road trips, etc. This is a very appealing lifestyle to her (It's the main thing which attracted us to each other to begin with), she really wants to be with me, and is finally realizing the best way to approach it is debt free/not being a slave to full-time work (ie the travel work we both do full-time now). She is certainly not "sold" on ERE; web-of-goals based income, living mainly off of investments, low monthly costs seem outside her scope at the moment. However, she does believe intermittent work/pay as you go is possible IF she eliminates her debt. This is a huge step, and since she has asked for my help, I intend to help her capitalize on this realization. I have not shown her the video and will not "push" anything that does not come up organically in the steps she is already taking. I am hopeful that more comes of this foundation.

Work still sucks, I have many stories of irritation, but it remains handlable on night-shift. As mentioned, I have requested a specific transfer after this assignment. I also contacted a manager at the desired location, using some social/professional capital to place a little "pull" demand for me at that location. Nursing is far more enjoyable when i can focus on patient care only!

End of year post will have "financial porn" updates as I have to keep my few readers happy :lol: .

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:40 am

Unscheduled Update 12/6/2017

Maybe I’m beating a dead horse, but I performed a thought experiment related to this:
classical_Liberal wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:57 pm
I suppose the best test is; would I pay to do it?
1) If nothing changed about my job, would I pay to do it?

2) If I could perform my core job duties mostly without concern of “politics”, on my schedule, mostly in my way, would I pay to do it?

3) Are there any individual components to my job I would pay to do/experience?

The answer to #1 was an unequivocal “no”.

Two was more complicated. At this moment in time my answer would be “no”. However, had I asked the question eight months ago, after a month long sabbatical and coming off of working the best hospital contract I have experienced to date… The answer would have been “yes”, I really missed it.

Number three; would I pay to have the privilege of listening to the stories of a dying 90 year old man who was stationed in the Pacific circa 1945. Hear how he felt preparing for a mainland invasion, how it actually felt when his CO got up on a vehicle and announced Japan had surrendered after two atomic bombs? Or would I pay to quickly analyze the causes of a deteriorating Blood Pressures or Arterial Blood Gases in a patient, then implement interventions which directly save a life?

Absolutely yes!

This has giving me some hope. Hope that I have not wasted several years of expensive schooling in my 30’s to gain entry into this field (one of many I have tried) and my entire first two years practicing to pay back the debt incurred. Hope that someday I will continue to utilize these skills for more than family or friends.

I need to redouble my ERE efforts from a skill/web-of-goals/spending standpoint. I need to reach a level in which I am comfortable enough to not chase after maximum monetary compensation. With such freedom I can choose to pursue nursing in my way and reap maximum joy. At this level I can spread my efforts and interests into others things I value as well, without concern for compensation. I can have time for personal relationships which are dying due to lack of quality time or lack of time in general (nobody is getting younger). Instead of constantly questioning my ethical beliefs, I can afford to honor them with my heart and soul, less fearful of consequences.

The longer I wait, the more likely it becomes I lose nursing passion due to burn out. Along with it; gone is a stable, recession proof skill, and scalable income source. I fear losing of many of the other things as well for varying reasons. I need to act because inaction on this front can lead to the loss of the things I hold most dear. It’s already happening and that is what lead me here in the first place, whether I knew it at the time or not.

The new daily thought experiment… Are the actions I’m taking today reflecting this urgency?

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:57 am

Interesting thought experiment. I would co-sign on your experience from my same/opposite perspective of having recently wandered into teaching as my primary gig. Every day I get at least one small validation of "meaningful" or "making a difference", but I hit burnout on all the other stuff and bother that comes along with the job any week I devote more than 20 hours max to this endeavor. There's also a bit of trade-off in variety vs. community. For instance, this week I was the guest teacher for a kindergarten that I had already covered on several other occasions, so the children all greeted me by name and some ran up and gave me a hug when I walked in the door.

I think teaching young disadvantaged children has a good deal of overlap with practical nursing, since every day I have to decide whether somebody really injured themselves on the playground, direct somebody with running green snot to clean up and thoroughly wash hands, and maybe check a head for lice. In my mind, both of these occupations also share a good deal of overlap with homemaker/gardener vocation, because you might check a head of cabbage for infestation and/or turn it into a pot of soup to nourish the health of a human.

At the other end of the spectrum would be endeavors I've engaged in "just" for money or fun, such as retail arbitrage (moving goods from clearance aisle of retail stores to internet venue), where all I was likely accomplishing was change of eventual landfill location for plastic crap. Obviously, one could go even further down this spectrum and engage in activities that were worse than meaningless, like unto "Glengarry Glen Ross."

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:32 pm

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:57 am
Every day I get at least one small validation of "meaningful" or "making a difference", but I hit burnout on all the other stuff and bother that comes along with the job any week I devote more than 20 hours max to this endeavor. There's also a bit of trade-off in variety vs. community.
Agreed. Lack of variety in daily activities leads to burnout. Some sense of community/contribution and affirmation of these by peers or leadership has the opposite effect.

Working, as you do, for a max of 20 hours per week, probably had other benefits as well. At least it does in my profession. For example, IMO the two key roles of a bedside nurse are 1) Make sure the patient doesn't die/begins to heal and 2) Retain enough compassion and social competence to help the patient and/or family members deal with emotions of what is likely some of the worst day(s) of their lives. A nurse who can effectively combine these two things for a heavy patient load is certainly competent.

The minutia-minded management are often more concerned about whether "charting of 'X' was completed in triplicated software packages to ensure maximum billing efficiency". A full-time nurse who "should be" aware of all new charting policies would be reprimanded for only charting in duplicate, even if core duties are performed well above expectations, for higher than average patient loads. Whereas, a part-time nurse, who picks up a shift so that on-call management doesn't have to come in to work on the floor, is congratulated as a hero; even if that person is only able to perform core functions to a satisfactory level with below average patient loads and forgets to chart item "X" in totality.

I would imagine a similar theme in substitute teaching? Perhaps in many fields where an "expert" is called in to perform a core function(s) well.

Edit: For clarity, It's not the praise I'm looking for, rather to not to be bothered by the completely unimportant. They can employ bean counters who enjoy such things. The praise, instead of criticism, for doing the same great job I always do, except less often & on my schedule, would just be a hilariously tasty desert.
Last edited by classical_Liberal on Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SustainableHappiness

Post by SustainableHappiness » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:11 am

Kiva is great! My extended family opted a number years ago to start donating to Kiva instead of giving each other Christmas presents to create a sort of legacy fund for our family...It has since petered out as family members have passed away, but the idea was good! I also attempted to create something through the business school I attended as well, however the infrastructure to being a charitable legacy fund of MBAs became quickly overwhelming and my lack of desire to work hard was it's downfall...maybe, I'll take a crack at it again some day with renewed vigour.

It's cool to see your money/FI philosophies evolve as time goes on.