Frugal chicos journal - ERE in The Basque Country

Where are you and where are you going?
Frugalchicos

Re: Let's go Back Home - Frugal chicos journal

Post by Frugalchicos »

@ Jason

:lol: :lol: :lol: Thank you Jason!

You have to enjoy life, we only have one!

And yes, owning a restaurant (or other businesses I have in mind where I interact with people) is kind of a dream in life.
Last edited by Frugalchicos on Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jason

Post by Jason »

I think restaurant is best for you. A chef is simultaneous an artist and a promoter. You seem to have that aesthetic/personality. You should try out for a cooking show, like Chopped, you'd be great at that. I can sense it, and I usually don't sense anything. They'd eat up your story about wanting to win in order to get back to live with your family in the Bosque country. I know its real and important to you but people fall for that soft lit sentimental hogwash.

bryan

Post by bryan »

If you open a cider house, let us know :D

Frugalchicos

Post by Frugalchicos »

@ Bryan

I will !!

I would like to share some recipes in the future, healthy, cheap and of course, yummy!!

Planning in having some people over this weekend and cooking some tuna empanada, paella and some turkey sausages.

Pic of the paella
http://s557.photobucket.com/user/frugal ... e.jpg.html

Upload it in photobucket because it is always challenging to do it through the forum
Last edited by Frugalchicos on Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Frugalchicos

Post by Frugalchicos »

Considering changing our investment allocation from 90%stock/10%bonds to 75/25 or 80/20.

Taking into consideration we are thinking in moving in 2.5 years and that we won't need the money until 10-15 years from now.

Thoughts? any input would be really appreciated.

bryan

Post by bryan »

If going into bonds, I generally feel better about corporate bonds than government securities. 10 years is still a pretty long timescale for stocks (to dip and recover, or keep going up, or something else), afaik.

Frugalchicos

Post by Frugalchicos »

@Bryan
bryan wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:53 pm
10 years is still a pretty long timescale for stocks (to dip and recover, or keep going up, or something else), afaik.
I hear you, I am kind of driving myself nuts, I am definitely taking my time to make my mind and will decide in the next month or so.

Thanks for your support Bryan!

Frugalchicos

Post by Frugalchicos »

Ok, time for some financial update.

JUlY INCOME - $8,890.32
Chico's Salary - $4,068.64
Chica's Salary - $3,539.68
Airbnb - $1,142
Chica's Babysitting - $140

JULY EXPENSES - $4,313.45
Mortgage: $1,978.5 (note: $1,130.35 went to principal, counting that as a savings)
HOA: $244.83
Car Insurance: $64.33 (Manage to get it down $5)
Gas (Car): $53.88
Groceries: $144.47
Cellphones: $21.74 (note: Chica's work pays her cellphone bill, this is just Chico's phone plan with Lycamobile)
Internet: $78.88 (Messed up the payment due to expired CC, talked to them and next month will be credited the extra $30)
Gas (House): $49.53
Electricity: $39.36
Chica's Gym: $39.99
Chico's Gym: $10
Misc./Entertainment: $1,447,47 (note: Includes vacation in Spain & Portugal, Airbnb room for upcoming trip to DC, camping booking for Septmber and furnace had to be fixed $140)

This month, we saved 64.2% of our take home salary. Note: this doesn't include any 401K contributions.

CURRENT ASSETS: $197,924.81 - Increase NW $10,095.58
Cash savings: $1,138.86 (Invested too much money by mistake, will get the savings up soon)
Investments: $61,014.98
Chico's Retirement: $6,584.16
Chica's 401K: $37,172.56
Home Equity: $92,014.25

Achievements/Goals for next month:
- We got the Southwest Companion Pass and already booked trips to KC and DC (for free, of course :roll: ).
- We got the Chase Saphire bonus of 50,000 points (already building up points for when we move to Spain we can fly back to the US to visit Chica's family for free)
- We got a roommate for the next 5-6 months, August rent will be $500 since he came in the middle of the month. Rest of the months $975. Everything under the table, fuck taxes.
- We had an amazing trip to Boston (Chica), Spain and Portugal. Recharged the energy for the next 6 months and came back even more focused with the goal.
- To control our miscellaneous expenses. However, we let it loose for a little bit and don't regret since we had plenty of fun and enjoyed our time. Sometimes, we just need to be ok spending money (not wasting, never :oops: ).
- To get back on track with fitness.
- Keep selling crap on Ebay. Already got rid of few books (some amazingly bad) and clothes.
Last edited by Frugalchicos on Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:52 am, edited 7 times in total.

Frugalchicos

Post by Frugalchicos »

Personal Note:

Feel great about Chico & Chica. Confident we will achieve whatever we dream of.

I feel relaxed and happy, letting a big beard grow. Is it my mid 30's crisis? who cares!

Also, we have been thinking in changing our investments allocation to a more conservative one. Hell no, we are here for the full ride!!

Jason

Post by Jason »

Good luck with the beard. That's a big move. I'm assuming Chica is on board with it.

Frugalchicos

Post by Frugalchicos »

Chica is totally on board, not sure about my boss...but who cares.

Frugalchicos

Post by Frugalchicos »

Screwed up the 1 year challenge without buying any clothes. Bought 2 pairs of sweatpants and a corduroy Sherpa jacket that I wanted to buy for a while.

If I would have set the challenge for 6 months, I would have succeed enormously....but that's not the case.

Anyways, I want to get rid of all the clothes I don't use. I also have a couple of pants and sweaters that I had for over 8 years and need to be replaced.

Considering in shaving the beard..

Frugalchicos

Post by Frugalchicos »

Isn't it amazing when your co-workers spend $15 in shitty-for sure will give you a heart attack meals every day? and then they drive to the gas station to buy a Starbucks frapuccino (they can even stay awake after eating that shit) that could have enough calories to maintain somebody alive without eating for weeks? :roll:

Well, I thought it was a good time to share a good recipe that Chica prepares to perfection in the crock pot:

Asian Pork Shoulder with Mushrooms:

Note: You can use any meet. We prefer cheap, fatty and tough meats that will become tender in the crock pot. E.g chuck roast and pork shoulder.

2 lb of your preferred meat
kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper
2 cups of broth (chicken, veggie or beef, your choice)
1/2 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
1 tsp hot sesame oil
a dash of pepper flakes
1/2 tsp Chinese five spice
3 cloves crushed garlic
1 tbsp fresh grated ginger root
10 mushrooms. We use regular mushrooms or baby bella.
Spinach and cilantro (to use it fresh on top)

The cooking method is very quick and simple:

1- Season the meat and brown it in a pan until every side is golden.
2 - Put all the ingredients together in the crock pot. Chopped the mushrooms first.
3 - Cook it slow for 8 hours (or high for 4-5 hours).
4 - Remove the fat and pull the meat. Serve on top of your favorite noodles (ramen, udon, vermicelli, or angel hair).
5 - Put some spinach and cilantro and top.
6 - Enjoy!!

The price for this recipe is probably about $8 for 6-8 servings. However, it is hard to calculate if you factor the little quantities of condiments.

Hope you enjoy it!

Jason

Post by Jason »

That sounds delicious.

I would suggest that you create a "Frugalchicos ERE Cookbook" but unfortunately your target audience is to fuckin cheap to buy it.

Frugalchicos

Post by Frugalchicos »

@ Jason

That's a good idea. Just need to get good and appealing pictures of the food I prepare (which it is a whole science)
Last edited by Frugalchicos on Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jason

Post by Jason »

I've got your back Frugalchicos.

Check this one out - when you get "home" you should open an ice cream store - Basque n' Robbins.

Frugalchicos

Post by Frugalchicos »

@ Jason

That is a good one!! I am more into stews though... :lol: :lol:

Jason

Post by Jason »

Stews are good.

Well this is what I think you should do. Fuck the pictures and just posting the recipes. Film yourself making the dishes. Like a show. Call it "Basque To Where You Belong" or some shit like that. You obviously got a great personality. Let the world see it. Maybe someone notices you and before you know it, you obtain a small following. I mean people are getting legions of fans for just filming themselves fingering their own assholes these days (my channel for some reason being the exception). I'm guessing Frugal Chicas is probably a nice looking lady, get her in there too for window dressing. You know how that shit works. IF anything it prepares you for your own restaurant.

Frugalchicos

Post by Frugalchicos »

@ Jason

I agree about the pics, it is just too much hassle and quite frustrating.

I do love the "Basque to Where You Belong". And don't get discouraged, I bet your channel will be a huge success one day. By the way, what's the name of it? just curiosity... :lol: :lol:

Jason

Post by Jason »

I took it down due to lack of viewership. I did have one fan though. This guy from India. Called himself "Muhammedfingeringcow." He wanted to swap videos but I told him no, as I was only doing it for ERE purposes.