Derp und Drang: The_Bowme Journal

Where are you and where are you going?
Riggerjack

Re: Derp und Drang: The_Bowme Journal

Post by Riggerjack »

I can't help with the coding camp thing. I don't know jack about coding.

As to your Columbia experience, my understanding of the problem they have is lack of capital. And that they lack capital for good reason.

Capital likes stability. It likes protection of law. It likes clean titles and deeds. It doesn't like hyperinflation, nationalization, or regime change.

And unfortunately, Central and South America seem to have been poorly served by what they got of Spanish Legal code.

Bigato, a member from Brazil, went into some details about the difficulty of establishing ownership of land. It turns out this is common throughout the region.

People don't make for a free market. Freedom to accumulate capital, and the social networks to protect it, are the things you saw missing down there.

Or, I could be wrong. I've never been to Columbia. But I do read a lot, and that is the prevailing wisdom, currently.

The_Bowme

Post by The_Bowme »

Riggerjack wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:31 am

Or, I could be wrong. I've never been to Columbia. But I do read a lot, and that is the prevailing wisdom, currently.
Yeah, the thing with Colombia is that it hasn't really had major hyperinflation, nationalization, or failed state/coup/etc., and in general has been fairly friendly to capital. It definitely has had major problems, with political instability throughout the 20th century, but it never got to the point that a lot of other countries did. The country largely followed the Washington Consensus as I understand it, and I'm not sure that there is a problem with ambiguity around real estate ownership (and I'm not sure America's system is such a well-oiled machine given some of the shenanigans that went on before and during the subprime mortgage crisis). So a lot of the reasons to which I would normally chalk up a lack of development weren't there. Obviously though, there will be a guilt by association in capital markets, and Colombia's history is by no means spotless.

Part of the situation I think is that South America didn't have the same mass die-off/extermination of the native inhabitants. Instead large amounts of natives/mestizos stayed agarian, and the State didn't see much point in changing that. Then in the 20th century there was massive migration into the cities, which overwhelmed the infrastructure and created large labor surplus and resulting unrest. Also undermining the rule of law I'm sure.

Looking at the stats, it seems the labor force participation rate in Colombia isn't much different from America's, so maybe my observations weren't exactly capturing the nature of the situation.

The_Bowme

Post by The_Bowme »

April 2018 Update:

Well, my pussyfooting ended up the way it usually does: worrying a decision ad nauseum while feeling regretful for a lack of decisiveness, and then making the actual decision very quickly. In this case, for the past two years I'd been considering whether I wanted to continue in my commercial lending career of 5 years, or move to something else. On the one hand, I had the lessons of "So Good They Can't Ignore You," that you should stick a job out because the early phase of any career is shitty but it pays off eventually. On the other, I had my on-going dissatisfaction with workload and stress levels and the amount of networking/promotional type activities expected of me in the role, and the overreliance on a single Federal agency, and the continuing relevance of understanding its regulations, given the vagaries of Federal laws and funding going forward.

I'd been thinking of trying web development for a long time, but didn't really see it as feasible given the lack of structure for learning the craft, a lack of time from work, and a lack of motivation due to personal failings mixed with the motivation-killing consideration that (a) I didn't see the career transition as realistic, and (b) I was still on the fence about my current career.

A few events converged, and I changed my mind.
  • I started studying predicate logic early in the year and remembered how much I like logical type thinking, with black-and-white answers and opportunity for productive abstraction.
  • My younger sister completed a community college course in programming and got an intership that she was really loving. I realized how jealous it made me, but that it was too late for me. Then I thought, "well, I'm only 3 years older, not that much time in the broad sweep of things..."
  • I took a trip to Colombia, wanting to use of vacation time as I was fairly sure I would be leaving the job one way or the other. I had a chance conversation with a vacationing programmer in Colombia about how he'd gotten into the career through an income sharing financed boot camp rather than a cash/debt financed approach. One of my main reasons for not trying programming was that I either would have to do it DIY, which suffered from the lack of structure and Dunning-Kruger effects of self-study, or I would have to pay $10-20k in cash or debt for a bootcamp of questionable value. The income-sharing agreement idea cut that gordian knot for me.
So I put in my 5 weeks notice at the end of March, and will be starting a program at the Lambda School on May 3rd. Everyone was very understanding and supportive, and it sounds like I could get a job again, or they would be willing to help me find another job in banking if needed. Everyone was very nice and praised the time I'd spent there, which was quite validating, and reminded me how skewed my own estimation of my performance can be.

The program is 7 months, and all online, with required participation 9-6 Mon-Fri. The curriculum was impressive, assuming they can get through it with reasonable depth. The deal is that you pay them back 17% of pre-tax income for two years after graduating IF you obtain a $50,000 job in tech after graduating. The max total repayment is capped at $30,000. If you dont' obtain a job, there are no payments made. The window for repayment runs 5 years, so if you never obtain a qualifying job within that period, you make no payments. If you have 6 months of a qualifying job in the 5 year period, you would pay 17% for just those months, and nothing after that. I'm sure a lot of people on this forum would just learn it on their own, but I am slavish minded and cowed my modern institutions, so I need somebody telling me I'm doing the right thing, and these people seem willing to tell me that.

For me this is sufficiently hedged to go forward with it, and I'm very excited. I've missed learning full-time since college 8 years ago, and can't wait to get started. I figure accumulating all this net worth (not that much, but a lot to me) might as well buy me a bit of quality of life, exciment now, rather than using it to retire early down the road (signifcantly down the road given my savings rate) when I'll have spent all my time developing skills in a career I don't like and letting my "meaningful personal life structure" skills atrophy. I think a give-away that I was planning something like this is that I've been accumulating cash rather than investing for the past 6 months. I was telling myself that it was a mix of having a feeling personal changes would be coming, and worrying about market valuations. Maybe it was more the former it turns out.

The questionable aspects of my plan are how I'm going to approach liquidity and health care.

I will have around $22,000 in cash savings. I spent around $20K last year, but that was with some large, non-repeating expenses, plus the lazy discipline from the comfort of a full-time job. I'm expecting spending to drop signficantly, which will allow the savings to support the learning and job search period handily.

The kink is that I have taken out a Citi Simplicity credit card with a $6k limit and 18 month interest free period. I plan to put spending on this until it is maxed out, and leave it hanging out until I find new employment. This will let me earn interest on the unpaid bills (in a GS Marcus Savings with 1.6% interest, so not great returns in the scheme of things), but more importantly to preserve liquidity and therefore optionality. When it comes to choices, I think it's better to have $1,000 in cash and $1,000 in debt then $0 and no debt, so that's the basic operating principle here. The trick will be to prevent the psychological spending looseness associated with credit cards from ruining my discipline while I'm using it. Fortunately, I think I'm scared shitless about being long-term unemployed again that that won't be a problem.

On the healthcare front, I think I'll have around $20-$25k in personal income for the year, so I'm overshooting medicaid. I think that will give me a healthy subsidy on the ACA exchange. The main thing is to get catastrophic coverage. Hopefully that works out. I'll apply in the first half of May.

Anyway, I think my financial sitaution is relatively strong, and I would regret not taking this chance. I am still unmarried, no kids, no mortgage, so now's the time to give this a try, and my hedging makes the riskiness bearable for my paranoid little heart. It's good to be excited!

Current financials:
Mattress Cash: $600
Savings: $19,244.77
Vanguard Post-Tax Brokerage (Target 2040): $28,464.52
Vanguard Trad IRA (Target 2040): $20,553.71
Vanguard Roth IRA (Target 2040): $8,441.30
MassMutual 401(k): $44,203.97
Total NW: $121,505.27

Astra

Post by Astra »

Gotta love that Journal title...

Hope you have a great start into Lambda School tomorrow!

Any progress on your reading of the critique of pure reason over the last year? I’m interested to hear your thoughts on it.

I’ve always enjoyed Kant’s view on setting one’s own imperatives in general, I guess it also relates to FI in some way. In particular, the “practical freedom”, as he defines it, acts as the conception of oneself as a rational being, which decides in accordance to self-proclaimed principles and thus to apprehend itself as free. From this understanding one can develop one’s own imparatives, without having to rely on society, god, or heritage to define what’s inherently “good”. Self-directed imparative-setting is central to the ERE philosophy - and prohibits it from becoming a one-size fits all self-help guide. The other question is whether one has the power to be the primal mover of a causal chain (setting in motion your path to ERE, or retiring respecitvely), which is embodied by the transcendental freedom (if the mover itself is not itself caused by that chain). In the 3rd Antinomy, Kant questions this transcendental freedom - as it is in direct conflict with the determinism ruling the cosmos. Importantly, and as opposed to practical freedom (which is evident in the real world), you cannot empirically verify this transcendental freedom (are you really deciding to become ERE, or is it merely a product of your personality, your reading material, your environment?). According to Kant, the practical is a derivative of the transcendental freedom – this however creates a discrepancy! He resolves by stating only practical freedom is relevant for action and building imperatives, even though it technically depends on whether transcendental freedom actually exists (which you don’t really care about in real life). I never found this answer particularly satisfying. But even if we accept it, this is all the more sad that most people don’t even execute their practical freedom, no less worry about their transcendental freedom at all…

Besides, Kant’s use of language is masterfully convoluted; building his critique, he wields sentences like a sharp scalpel, surgically inserting precisely-defined terms into a web of dynamic connections. Reading his texts is like mathematical equations becoming language. (which might explain why some hate it)

Jason

Post by Jason »

Astra wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 10:30 am
even though it technically depends on whether transcendental freedom actually exists (which you don’t really care about in real life). I never found this answer particularly satisfying.
I think it's because it's not. Kant bifurcated reality to the noumena (spirit)/phenomena (material) realm but stated that although we should assume the noumena exists, we can never know what it is. His basic purpose was to "rescue" Christianity from the radical enlightenment's denunciation of all things heteronomous. But he essentially split the baby. On one hand he said a transcendental reality exists, but on the other hand he said its inaccessible. Hence the categorical imperative which is essentially each individual making decisions as though one is living and making said decisions according to their own golden rule.

As usual it comes down to from where do we derive our morality. Transcendental freedom is not freedom from morality unless you are a psychopath. Like Christianity he is saying that there is transcendent realm that imposes a morality, but unlike Christianity he is saying that because we do not know what that transcendent realm is, the individual must/can only act as though there is one. So the upshot is, you get to make up your own version of the 10 commandments. Its transcendence without religion, which is ultimately self-transcendence which I personally believe is not only impossible but migraine inducing. But then again I am someone who actually cares about transcendence in real life.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal »

Last edited by classical_Liberal on Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

SavingWithBabies

Post by SavingWithBabies »

How is it going? How did it go (or how is it going) with the Lambda School?

The_Bowme

Post by The_Bowme »

Sorry, I went into a k-hole of tech and stopped paying much attention to the forums while doing class full time.

I feel it was the right decision. I love coding, building, and debugging code, and discussing it with others. Whether it loses it's sheen after 5 years remains to be seen, but that's why we don't buy dumb shit, right?

I spent a period as a teaching assistant, going back through the curriculum while helping other students, so that added on about 3.5 months but I got paid peanuts and got some experience under my hat. I would say overall I excelled and in some areas was one of the stronger students, in others (design / aesthetics / creativity) more mediocre.

So I graduated last week, and got two job offers (one in Chicago, one in Ann Arbor) this week. I had been working these leads, which came through Lambda, for about 1.5-2 months, hiring is slow for juniors in tech!

But I have accepted an offer and just waiting on the electronic signature docs to come back. $75k + 10% performance pay, plus I negotiated a $1k signup bonus, lol, just to be able to say I negotiated. (I requested 80-95k as an opening bid so in some sense I probably maxed out what I was going to get in pure salary already). So with 17% income share agreement for two years, and somewhat higher COL in Chicago, I feel like I came out reasonably but not shockingly ahead. And the hardest part is getting your foot in the door it seems like! (and then delivering too).

I'm going to be working at a startup, so I will be working a lot probably, but I'm excited to learn this stuff and be on a new adventure!

Now to get this contract signed and then move to Chicago. The fly in the ointment is that my girlfriend wants to find a job before she moves out to Chicago with me, so we'll have an asynchronous relocation. We'll manage it though!

My good "big rock" habits (no car, cheap apartment with roommate, eat cheap as a default) carried me through well, though I did deplete some savings. Got a bit spendy on restaurants going out with the GF, less time and attention to plan meals. Trying to take advantage of no income and rolling over a bunch of pretax money into a Roth, and then unexpectedly earning additional money as a teaching assistant did mean I paid a bit more in taxes than I'd planned. Behind on tallying right now but I'll update that soon once I've surveyed the damage.

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler »

Sounds like you got it goin’ on! Congrats on the job, etc!

The_Bowme

Post by The_Bowme »

Now that I've wrapped up at Lambda School, and will be moving to Chicago and starting a dev job, I figured it was time to take a look at my financial situation. Actually it turned out to not be such a decrease in the net worth as I thought! That was due to a mix of having income from the school as a teaching assistant and some market appreciation over time.

Mattress money: $600
Savings Account: $18,134
Vanguard Brokerage Target 2040: $29,855
IRA Vanguard Retirement Target 2040: $40,061
Roth IRA Vanguard Retirement Target 2040: $36,855
Credit Card: -$5,487
----------------
Total: $120,049

I put as much as I could onto a 18 month 0% credit card during this time, so once I get paid, I'll use my excess cash to pay down the credit card.

I'll take another hit on the moving costs and getting settled, but overall I feel good about the position I'm in. I definitely didn't keep the purse strings too tight during this time either, took a trip to Vegas, a trip to Taos, and had some nice restaurant meals. For sure a good experience seeing what it's like to live off savings (at least part of the time).

I'll need to be intentional about balancing lifestyle inflation and spending money to buy time while I launch a new career and try to optimize for income. Tricky, tricky, but good problems to have!

I'll have to balance continuing to learn tech skills and rebuilding my outside interests, philosophy, fiction, a social life, in a new city.

The_Bowme

Post by The_Bowme »

Been a while since I posted, but I've drifted a lot from the ERE lifestyle over time, but am currently in the process of looking for a new place to live in Chicago, and it's got me feeling a bit torn.

It was interesting looking back at where I was 3 years ago though. Funny to see myself saying: "I'll need to be intentional about balancing lifestyle inflation and spending money to buy time while I launch a new career and try to optimize for income."

I don't think I did a great job in this regard, although I still have some frugality in my bones. I don't know about extreme frugality though.

There were some different reasons for this change I suppose. I think the fact that my girlfriend and I broke up shortly after the move (she turned out to be more resistant to moving than she'd let on, and we had other issues) meant that I had to do a lot more work in terms of finding a social life, and starting to date again. I found that meant spending a lot more money going to restaurants and bars. It seems really hard to make friends in a city like Chicago without being willing to spend somewhat loosely. At least more loosely than I did in my 20s.

Fortunately the job situation has gone well. The change to software engineer has been fruitful, and I've gone from $75k -> $95k -> $135k -> $140k in gross salary over the past 3 years. So while my spending has increased, I have been able to keep saving. Here's where I'm standing now:

Checking/Savings: $15k
HSA: $11.7k
401k: $13k
IRA trad: $75k
IRA Roth: $68k
After tax investment: $85k
Credit card balance: -1.3k
----------------
Total: $260k

I guess that's pretty good compared to the $120k I had when I most recently posted, but I've already moved on to comparing myself to people with much more. I guess I really need to focus on being happy with what I have accomplished.

That said, I have really let my spending grow. Here's my spending for last year:

Rent $13,813.34
Internet $93.22
Utilities $1,024.54
Health $427.00
Clothes $855.99
Phone $739.24
Spending Money $2,862.40
Bicycle $110.00
Alcohol $1,150.22
Restaurants $3,593.34
Recreation $770.83
Entertainment $949.77
Grocery $3,830.86
Coffee $129.39
Laundry $0.00
Travel $4,844.43
Education $8,342.97
Insurance $156.34
Gifts/Charity $695.01
Total $44,388.89

So I suppose it's not a total nightmare, but definitely no where near what the real ERE heads are capable of.

I read Die With Nothing last year by Bill Perkins, which makes the case for higher spending while one is young, given that there are many life experiences that you can only have while young, and that you really can use money to get better experiences. This resonated with me somewhat, and I've been questioning the wisdom of sticking to the ERE path. I'm no longer totally sure what I would do with myself without a career, that would be so much better than my life with one. I am thinking that I would like to just be a relatively frugal high earner, and using my nut to buy myself flexibility and the option of drastically reducing spending and not working in the future if that comes up.

All that to say, I'm now paying $1,150 for a 3 bedroom that I share with a roommate. I'm thinking that at 34 it might be nice to have my own place, and to even have an office. And to stay within biking distance of my work in West Loop and other cool experiences around the city. I'm considering moving into my own place and taking on rent of up $1400-1600 or even $1800 for the privilege. It's just a year commitment, and I'm curious what it would be like. I could still save with this rent.

But I've spent so much time with these ERE ideas in my head (since college), that I can't help feeling some strong misgivings about letting the throttle out further on my spending. I'm worried that if I indulge myself now, I won't be able to stop in the future if things don't continue to be so rosy.

I'm just venting I suppose. I think right now getting comfortable spending money might be a useful challenge, so maybe I'll continue down this path.

Yesterday rode bikes with my 45 miles down a bike trail to go the Illinois Beach State Park, and a nearby brewery for drinks and pizza. Then took the Metra train back to the city with our bikes for $7. So I guess ERE is still making it's presence felt somewhat. Only we got the drinks, so not 100%. Ha!

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

The_Bowme wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:00 pm
...there are many life experiences that you can only have while young, and that you really can use money to get better experiences.
It is true that you can exchange money for experiences. Which experiences in particular are you interested in? And in what way are the specific experiences you want that you have to spend money on better?
The_Bowme wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:00 pm
I think right now getting comfortable spending money might be a useful challenge
Can you unpack this a bit? What is useful and/or challenging to you about getting comfortable spending more money?

I ask these questions not to imply that there is one right answer, just to help you check to make sure that you've got good quality answers to them.

I also ask these questions as a person who underwent lifestyle inflation from less than 40k/yr to 77k/yr, between 2010 and 2020. It was easy, and not very challenging, let me tell ya.

But I wasn't intentionally spending my money on high quality (better) experiences that could only be had while young. I was just spending it on, y'know, an apartment that didn't suck so bad and craft beer and bikes and stuff. If I'd put my mind to it, I could have spent that money in a way that I'd feel less dumb about today.

So I have an observation and an encouragement for you. My observation is that you sound kinda vague about what you want to spend more money on, and why. I fear you'll just kinda blow it like I did. My encouragement is this: choose to spend more money, or don't. Make the decision intentional and explicit - heck, say you PLAN on spending 55 or 60k next year, whatever.

But, if you do, make an intentional plan about what kinds of better experiences you're going to spend it on. Travel? Going to build out a workshop, or invest the capital in a homebrew setup? Going to do a bunch of guided wilderness trips? Buy a piano and get good at playing it? Start racing superbikes or some other expensive hobby? Get specific, so in a year you can look back and say right, I spent more money than I ever have this past year, but omg it was totally worth it because XY and Z. Or... whatever your reflection turns out to be.

You've got the excess money, so it's totally in your power to discover how much fun/good/fulfilling experiences can be had for 10 or 20k on top of your base CoL. Report back, if that's what you decide to do, please. :D

The_Bowme

Post by The_Bowme »

Wow! Really helpful questions. I absolutely tend to be on the vague side. I think I might be a bit more on the pedestrian/homebody side even now, but the framing you gave definitely got me thinking, and I think some more ambitious, specific projects like that are definitely something I should move towards.

I think my thinking is the following:
- Spend more on rent in order to have a separate office to work from home. Find a place that makes me feel to be happy to be in it, and will inspire me to do the work of tracking down quality used furniture and getting it moved in without the benefit of car ownership. Try to get in-unit laundry because it's an amazing convenience. Be willing to move further away from work, as long as there is still easy access to a train and the bike commute is reasonably fun.

- Go to restaurants more. Try for a restaurant a week. I basically have had little interest in restaurants because I see them as expensive, but I enjoy the experience of going to them with people, and taking dates to them, so I've been doing a lot more of this anyway. But I think the only doing things socially is a bit of a weird frame. So for right now, while I live in the middle of Chicago, I want to encourage myself to try lots of different restaurants. I might not always live in a place with so many options, so I want to explore. I think this will also help make me more ambitious in cooking. I went to a Puerto Rican place last night and the rice really got me excited about what you can do with rice if you're ambitious.

- Cooking skills. Not sure how best to pursue this. I think maybe classes, but I feel like these are often refined skills that don't emphasize transferability. Maybe what holds me back instead is all the special ingredients and tools you need to make more exciting dishes. Maybe I should relax the frugality in this area and give myself permission to buy some crazy single-use ingredients in order to make something I'm excited by.

- Bike upgrade. I've been riding a $150 Schwinn World from the mid-80s for about 5 years. I've learned a ton doing work on it, and it's wonderful in that nobody wants to steal it. But I want to go on longer bike trips, and also feel empowered to hop curbs in the city. But my current bike has reliability issues, where the rear wheel loses alignment when hitting curves. Sometimes the derailleur sticks on the chain. I'd like to get something to ensure my commute is safer and that lets me go on weekend bike camping trips without worrying about a breakdown. So going to start looking into Surlys or Salsas probably.

- Use rental cars for local travel, events, camping, hiking. I get super skittish when I see car rental prices, but this is part of the car free life style if I want to not always be in the city. I need to be fine dropping $60 to rent a car for 24 hours or $250 for a weekend if it means I can go camping somewhere. Yes I can use trains and bikes to camp, but I want to feel like the world's my oyster, and I'm not having to cut out a bunch of stuff because America has crap biking infrastructure.

- Music. Basically I don't want to miss any shows for financial reasons. If there's a band I want to see, I'll go. If the symphony is playing, I'll just sit in the cheap seats.

- Outdoors activity. Mostly stick to the Great Lakes region for now, but use car rentals, trains to facilitate hiking and backpacking. Pay for an REI-NOLS wilderness medicine course this summer. If I stick to this locally then I should do more significant travel to support this in subsequent years. I am also planning a weekend trip in Illinois and then a 3 day trip in the UP of Michigan prior to a wedding this summer. I learned how to ski last year, so try to get in a ski trip this winter.

- Travel. In itself I find it often stressful and overrated. But if it's done with friends, or when one knows or a local, or if there's a particular intellectual interest in a place, then it's great. Travel is also a good way to stay in touch with people, so I should take a trip to New York and to Spain to see friends, though maybe I'll save that for next year. and I'll hold on to my white whale of living for a summer in France for when the right time emerges. Nothing big for this year, but my policy on this will be if it's a chance to do something with friends, basically don't worry about the price.

I guess the themes are taking advantage of the city, cooking, getting outdoors, and quality of life improvements. As for the why... I don't know, except that these are things I find pleasurable and respect as endeavors, and fit reasonably well in with my values. Some of it, like the city stuff, is more trying to avoid my past mistake of not taking advantage of the place you live, like when I lived in Denver without a car so I never got into the mountains or went skiing.

Overall I'm feeling better about this. Maybe it's not the same as translating it into spending goals, but I'm mostly into zero-based budgeting anyway and don't really focus on zooming out on a yearly basis.