the dollar journal

Where are you and where are you going?
thedollar

Re: the dollar journal

Post by thedollar »

A quick calculation tells me that if I save 100% of my current salary for 30 years I'll have 3 USDm (incl. 5% return)

In the same period at a 5% return my current investments will return around 11 USDm.

Makes me wonder if it's worth having the job.

thedollar

Post by thedollar »

June update

Cashflow
Expenses: $N/A
Dividends: $2,120 (+29.6% YoY)
Dividends TTM: $2,095 (+$40 MoM)
Projected annual dividend: N/A

Total networth gain (loss): +$66,629

Investment allocation
Equities: 52.3%
Real estate: 25.1%
Cash: 22.4%

Eureka

Post by Eureka »

Makes me wonder if it's worth having the job.
So why do you still have the job? Just asking.

thedollar

Post by thedollar »

Eureka wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:35 am
So why do you still have the job? Just asking.
Thanks for asking!

I guess there are a number of reasons.....

1) Making the jump can be hard (societal pressure/norms, I need to confront what I actually want out of life and what to do with my time (pretty though to figure out in my book, much easier to follow the initia of current work life))

2) I don't want to make a decision based on how I feel on a single day but rather based on how stuff feels during a longer period of time I guess. Things are bad some days and a lot better other days.

3) (and maybe most important) I haven't identified anything with higher RoT right now (return on time - measured in value, not money). While work is sometimes straining it also provides structure to my life, a purpose, colleagues, self-development.....

thedollar

Post by thedollar »

July update

Cashflow
Expenses: $N/A
Dividends: $1,383 (-14.9% YoY)
Dividends TTM: $2,202 (+$107 MoM)
Projected annual dividend: N/A

Total networth gain (loss): +$73,843

Investment allocation
Equities: 54.2%
Real estate: 24.4%
Cash: 21.2%

+++

Stock performance has been awesome for the last few months... Especially TSLA - it might hit my portfolio hard if it takes a dive as it is now 7-8% of my portfolio. Sometimes it's crazy to look at gains above 50K for a month while only spending a few grand. Dividends are down for the last few months compared to last year, but I'm sure they'll come back soon enough (within the next few years).

I'm still grinding... Job, cash flow, weight. Hoping to get smarter in terms of real estate investing. So far I'm still in the phase of initiating my real estate fund investments. When they are completely funded - hopefully by next year - they should increase my cash flow. In addition, I'm not far from doing a direct albeit small investment in real estate soon.