The life and times of ... distracted_at_work

Where are you and where are you going?
distracted_at_work

Re: The life and times of ... distracted_at_work

Post by distracted_at_work »

2017 Financials

Some important notes reading this chart and the year:

-I take my net worth Jan 1st 2017 and Jan 1st 2018, look at my net income for the year and figure out expenses from the difference. According to this method I saved 70% of my income this year!? Holy cow that's insane. To get monthly numbers I look at what was put into my investment accounts that month.

-Big change from how I did this last year is that since I changed brokerages, I have no great way to track my investment returns. I know what my
individual returns on specific investments are but not a YTD summary and I am quite simply too lazy to calculate myself.

-Thank god I index 70% outside of Canada.

-I don't include my tax return which will be in the ballpark of $3K.

-I took 6 weeks off this year due to double dipping vacation in 2 different companies and 1 week of unemployment.

-I quite simply am astounded that I lowered my expenses this year from $25.5K to $18K. I absolutely forgot I started out the year with a broken leg (can't spend money if you can't walk) and lived in an extremely cheap rental situation for 2 months. My largest expenses, other than rent/car/food, were Nicaragua, skiing (booze/gear) and my new emergency clutch (this could be a ski trip expense).

-This only includes cash and stock.

-This chart is probably wrong by some $$ amount on every single bar of varying intensity. Honestly, tracking this shit is hard. I don't know how people do it monthly but I respect the hell out of you if you do.

My journal is an absolute mess. I want to start a new one this year but writing and following a template. Is this considered taboo?

TheRedHare

Re: The life and times of ... distracted_at_work

Post by TheRedHare »

Good to hear you're doing well man, keep up the solid work!

I think the template idea is definitely worth it...I need to do this myself. But it makes going back and looking at your stats much easier.