m741's ERE Journal

Where are you and where are you going?
DutchGirl

Re: m741's ERE Journal

Post by DutchGirl » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:49 am

On the other hand, traveling with contacts to poorer areas is at the very least a nuisance. Make sure that you always use clean water / clean solutions to rinse the contacts with. An eye infection in some tropical region is easy to get, hard to shake.

m741

Post by m741 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:01 pm

7.5 months out

Retirement prep
I've been making progress. On things from the last update, I've canceled out of LASIK, sold a ton of stuff at work, and decided to open a Capital One account.

I haven't been very good trying to "live out of a backpack," that one is more like "try out a few random small products". In that sense, it's been ok. But I've been much lazier there than I'd hoped.

Overall however I've been making very good progress on my goals. So far this year I've been happy with my goal progress. Each day I track what work I've done on my annual goals. A day where I make progress is a good day, a day where I slack off and do nothing is disappointing. As a result I've gotten in the habit of getting things done. But the past few weeks I've been particularly productive, setting aside a lot of time browsing the internet to get things done. And I feel a lot better about myself.

Mindset
Work has been so-so. I really feel like I'm running out the clock, but it's still over 7 months to go. I made the mistake of looking at working days left and it's something like 160 right now. That feels both like a lot and like frighteningly few. I think the next 2-3 months will be the slowest for me (as the last 2 months have been). Then I think things will really fly. Here's the breakdown, as far as I can anticipate.

* June/July - were slow at work, dispiriting. Quitting felt kinda far out.
* August - slow so far, but I'm gonna be traveling for three weekends. Including several Fridays off. I think that time will fly.
* September/October/November - Lots of travel and events through the first half of November (hiking w/Dad, 2 weddings, trip to Denver, trip to Connecticut). Trying to get in nice-weather NYC stuff.
* Second half of November/December - The usual holiday stuff. Plenty of time off. But, because things are unofficial, probably will drag a little.
* January - Tell the boss I'm leaving. Once I've 'locked it in', start to make moves in earnest, start getting rid of 'essential' stuff like pots and pans, furniture, etc. Start to figure out how to finish up stuff at work.
* February - Lots of post-FI trip planning, finishing up things in the city.
* March - Short/lazy days at work? Or struggling to finish stuff up? When at home, frantically prepping move, craigslisting, finances, etc, before quitting.

We'll see how that plays out. When I list it this way it doesn't seem like a whole lot!

In the next two weeks
* Close old credit card, open new one, since I hit another spending bonus.
* Lots of travel, but prep a list of additional stuff to sell. Put a price on all books that I intend to get rid of before moving.
* Move forward with asset re-allocation (more in VTSAX, less in other Vanguard stock funds, drop some individual stocks).

m741

Post by m741 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:42 am

6.5 months out

Retirement prep/mindset
It's funny how much my feelings or attitudes change in a short period of time. That's a recurring theme throughout this journal, I think.

I just got finished running the gauntlet of introvert-antagonistic weekends, combined with extremely stressful/busy work. It's just left me wanting a 2-week staycation. First it was 3 days traveling with the gf in a rental car for her birthday; then 2.5 days traveling with the gf's friends and others to a house in the woods for a weekend; then 5 days in Denver with the gf and her father. Little time alone throughout.

To top it off, my work is highly current-event dependent and there's been a ton of extra work with the repeated hurricanes in the Caribbean that's kept me at the office for 10-12 hours per day.

I'm exhausted and this weekend doesn't look like it'll be restful with Irma poised to strike Florida. On the other hand, the work has been rewarding and I feel like I'm making a real impact inside and outside the company, for the first time in a long time. So I appreciate that. I've been thinking a little ahead to the time *after* the trip. I want to end up on the west coast, and Washington is the top of my list for tax reasons (for at least a year). My company has offices in Seattle. If I could somehow work 3 days per week in Seattle that would be ideal for me (though personally I'd prefer to live in a smaller city). There is a rarely-used work-sharing program I might be able to take advantage of. And finally if I return to the same company within a year, all the stock that was pre-vest will be returned to me to continue vesting, which is a pretty good value. So I think this is what I will angle for if I leave. Two more years part-time as I settle in on the west coast sounds great. If that doesn't pan out... oh well. I can live without work :)

In the next 2 weeks
Do all the stuff I had planned to do...
* Open new credit card, since I hit another spending bonus.
* Prep a list of additional stuff to sell. Put a price on every book that I intend to get rid of before moving.
* Move forward with asset re-allocation (more in VTSAX, less in other Vanguard stock funds, drop some individual stocks).