Five Years, Lord Willing

Where are you and where are you going?
Mister Imperceptible

Re: Five Years, Lord Willing

Post by Mister Imperceptible »

The tough losses in 2001 and 2004 you cannot attribute to Mussina.

Mussina’s career in a nutshell:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W3xkQlFGpuk

I think it should be acknowledged that Mussina pitched his entire career in the very competitive AL East against the the strongest lineups featuring many juicers, and that he kept reinventing himself as he suffered injuries and his natural ability diminished. I doubt he ever used performance-enhancing drugs, whereas I am certain that Schilling did.

Jeter is unanimous if the other 23 you listed were unanimous, but they were not and so Jeter won’t be.

Fun fact: I am a blood relative of one of the 23 names you listed.

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

Baseball, what an interesting game. To me it's like watching paint dry, and to this day have never been able to pay attention to more than a few innings.

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

On the quad chart of

..............................[fun to play]..............................
[boring to watch]..................................................[fun to watch].
..............................[not fun to play]............................

Baseball is way up there in the top left.

Mister Imperceptible

@2b1s

There’s something about baseball that reminds Americans about their carefree youth. Summertime, burgers and hot dogs, bubblegum, ice cream after the game, Little League Bildungsroman moments of failure and overcoming, feeling good after a diving catch, letting an inside pitch hit you and learning to take one for the team to get on base, fouling off pitch after pitch in an intense battle of will, stopping halfway between first and second base on a hit to right field and pretending to look panicked and then laughing your way to second base as the right fielder throws to first, mad dashes to home plate on wild pitches because kids can’t throw strikes for shit, getting into tussles with the opposing team for sliding hard trying to break up a double play and then getting called a dirty player by a father of a player on the opposing team and then my violent and disagreeable father calling the fathers on the other team cunts for daring to call me dirty and threatening to settle this like men and then watching the fathers on the other team cower in fear.

Look at me, I’m getting sentimental.

Mister Imperceptible

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj0-_6v299I

.......is everyone ready for a polite, civil, and orderly 2020 presidential election cycle? :D :D :D

Jason

Post by Jason »

Mister Imperceptible wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:47 pm
Jeter is unanimous if the other 23 you listed were unanimous, but they were not and so Jeter won’t be.

Fun fact: I am a blood relative of one of the 23 names you listed.
Ironically, yesterday I was with a person who was very close to Derek Jeter's mother. Her office was a shrine to the Joe Torre era Yankees. She had an incredible array of memorabilia. It was very weird. I told her the story of how I once sat in a luxury box and choked on catching a foul ball with a fishing net they provided me and I was booed by 50K people. It wasn't very pleasant. When we spoke of Jeter, I said he won't be unanimous because people get jealous. Rich, handsome, five world series rings, banged Mariah Carey, and unanimous. It's just too much for one person to have.

You like the Yankees but I'm thinking not Lou Gehrig because he never married and was rumored to be homosexual so possibly Mickey Mantle as he was dissolute and promiscuous having been diddled by some Okies growing up or Babe Ruth as your grandmother could have been a depression era, train station prostitute for all we know. You seem to be kind of an arrogant dick so that could mean Ty Cobb or Ted Williams, Joe DiMaggio or Randy Johnson. I don't think you are neither Jewish nor blue blood nor Dutch so out goes Sandy Koufax, Tom Seaver and Honus Wagner. I don't think you are Hispanic or African American so well, that's obvious. Warren Spahn just seems too esoteric. Stan Musial you'd own a brewery. That leaves the old timers. Mathewson was a boy scout who died young. Grover Cleveland Alexander was too drunk to copulate. Cy Young was like 19th century so who knows who he was fucking. Quick google, Hornsby was married three times and had two kids. I am going Hornsby.
Last edited by Jason on Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

See! That right there!

Baseball was so fun.

Jason

Post by Jason »

I lived in the Boston area for a few years when I was younger and was friends with Reggie Smith's son. Some assholes were fucking with him on the bus. One morning Reggie Sr. climbs aboard in his pale blue jumpsuit and his mid-70's fro and announces to a bunch of adolescents that "Anyone who fucks with Reggie Jr. is fucking with Reggie Sr." Suffice it to say that became the quietest bus ride in the annals of human history. I stained my pants and I was his friend.

Mister Imperceptible

Jason wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:03 am
When we spoke of Jeter, I said he won't be unanimous because people get jealous. Rich, handsome, five world series rings, banged Mariah Carey, and unanimous. It's just too much for one person to have.
Yes, too many haters.

https://deadspin.com/derek-jeter-denies ... 1743730919
Jason wrote:
I'm thinking not Lou Gehrig because he never married and was rumored to be homosexual
Ok, this is pure Jason trolling.

https://www.google.com/search?client=sa ... 75&bih=553
Jason wrote:
You seem to be kind of an arrogant dick
Why can’t more people be honest like this?

Jason

Post by Jason »

Mea culpa for the Lou Gehrig inaccuracy. However, Eleanor Gehrig's obituary mentions "parties with impromptu performances by Talulah Bankhead" which makes me question the real nature of their marriage as Talulah Bankhead was romantically linked to pretty much everyone. Coupled with the facts that the Gehrigs never had children and Eleanor never remarried once Lou died, well I think its obvious that their marriage was a PR creation.

https://www.nytimes.com/1984/03/08/obit ... -star.html

In any event I don't take you for a Gehrig and I think this eliminates the Babe:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct- ... story.html

Jason

Post by Jason »

Monthly Update

2/1/16 - 350,463
2/1/17 - 461,999
2/1/18 - 516,248

I've been reading the ERE Wheaton Thread. The exchange between Fish and JLF is interesting as far as I understand it. According to JLF's scale, I am a five, meaning I am somewhere between Train Wreck and him, which means I'll never be a 7. Hey, the world needs fives.

I think the one philosophy that has taken over during this time "Live like you're afraid of being broke." I have no idea if that is appropriate or psychologically beneficial but it seems to be helping my net worth. Drib and drab spending has been brought back but not removed. I have become a better investor at least from a behavioral perspective. I sat through the last quarter in 2018 on my hands which paid off with the January spike.

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

Fuck yea. Sometimes the best action, is inaction ;)

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

I touched Angelo on the shoulder and pointed toward the pigs. What should I do?. This time my gun was cocked, of course, and now, for the first time I took off the safety. Should I shoot? No, you wait,Angelo said, See-they are coming down the hill now. I followed the pigs with the barrel of my gun, trying to get one of them in my sight. My finger rested lightly on the trigger, and it took all the self-restraint I could summon not to squeeze, but I didn't have a clear shot- too many trees stood in the way. Take your time, Angelo whispered. They will come to us.
- Michael Pollan "The Omnivore's Dilemma- describing his first experience hunting at mid-life.

Jacob said investing is more like hunting than working.

Jason

Post by Jason »

Monthly Update

Net Worth

2/17 359,223.73
2/18 461,098.48
2/19 531,371.18

Net worth at all time high. I judge net worth based on the geography in which it would be worthwhile for a couple of enterprising strippers to hatch a murder plot. I'm not Manhattan. Nor LA or SF. Or the more prosperous parts of Florida. But I'm thinking a few New England states, a little pacific-Northwest and most of Middle-America. I have certainly moved past Alaska and the poverty pockets in the deep south. It feels good, self-esteem wise. God knows, nothing feels worse than sitting with a stripper knowing its not worth her time to call on her friend with the big plastic bag.

Books/Plays Read
2019 - 9

Pretty much on track.

Health Scare

We thought I had a stroke. Fortunately, it's only Bell Palsy. So now I walk around the house yelling "Adrian!!!!" like I'm Sylvester Stallone in Rocky. I thought I was done. I'm not. But I'm getting close. But then again, who isn't. That being said, I'd prefer not to have go through what little I have left looking like a Picasso painting.

Play Writing

70%? done with second. I really enjoy doing it.

Spending

It really is nice not to see the monthly streaming charges. "Real" money is very little when you can invest it.

Various and Sundry

My wife asked me if she ever thought about what our kids would be like if we had any. I said, well, you have to figure there's a good chance they'd be complete douches. She said "yeah" and that was about it. I have to admit, it did make me wonder.

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

For a few seconds I thought your net worth increased $170k in two days.

DW and I are likely a bit younger than you guys (late 30s) but we are starting to have similar conversations about the kids we don't have. I hope we'll get used to it.
We feel fantastic together, but we sometimes wonder what it would be like.

Big congrats on not dying!

Jason

Post by Jason »

I was never a person who had a driving desire to create a mini-me, which was a term thrown out by a young douche father I once ran into. After this amount of time on the planet, if I had my choice in the matter, I'd say spare me from it, although I find purpose in being there for my wife. The other day was the first time I took a moment to create a possible child. My therapist once told me, some people are just not as suited for this whole enterprise as others. I consider myself one of them.

I'm way more afraid becoming "living after stroke" guy than "dead" guy. Nothing against stroke victims, but I do not want to be a compromised version of myself. That was my fear. Not that I was going to die, but that I was now going to live like this, drooling and slurring my words. It was weird. I felt OK, but I looked all fucked up. Thankfully the paramedics quickly figured it out and explained to me what was going on. My blood pressure was through the roof not because I had a stroke but because I thought I had one. I'm going to send something to them because they were great.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

I had Bell's Palsy a couple years ago. I woke up from a nap and my face felt funny, and then 2 minutes later an ex was knocking at my front door prepared to make attempt to woo himself back into my arms. Memorably surreal combination of events.

I wasn't sure whether you were "wondering" about being a father or why your wife just said "yeah" to possibility of inherited douche tendencies.

Jason

Post by Jason »

How long until you regained full movement? Or did you? 1 in 25 people are susceptible.

It was both. I actually pictured a version of myself. It was like my mind became a large hadron collider and some scientist said "Throw in two douchebags. Let's see what happens" I think my wife saw it on my face and said, yeah, it would just be like douche particles all over the walls every day.

Mister Imperceptible

Just chiming in again and in another place to say that the ERE forumites are not helping by going without progeny, as useless idiots are procreating faster than we can proselytize to not want for much.

Jason

Post by Jason »

I don't want to appear as though I am against procreation, otherwise, well. Hold it. The earth would be better a place if it was just me on it.

I have to think about this.