TheRedHare's Journal

Where are you and where are you going?
chenda

Re: TheRedHare's Journal

Post by chenda »

You sound like me 5 years ago, jumping about with no clear sense of direction. My advice, fwiw, is to do a career which you're good at, which follows you natural aptitudes. Do some aptitude testing online. All other considerations will naturally work out from this.

And I don't think you've wasted your time on BJJ, no learning is ever wasted. But I'd take up another sport, maybe something you can practice more at home.

TheRedHare

Post by TheRedHare »

Quick updates on what I've been up to:

-New GF
-New Car
-New Job
-Less Debt

To make a long story short (*really need to start posting more so I don't dread making updates*) a lot has happend since my last entry.

New GF:
-Met this girl via online dating app in late January 2019, and things have been going really well.

New Car:
-So I know I mentioned getting a 2004 Toyota Camery, but that deal ended up falling through last minute due to some bs on the buyers side...
Anyway, I think I did even better in the end because I got a 2015 Honda Fit for $11k with 45,000 miles on it. I ended up taking a small loan of about 9k out at 4.49%. I'm planning on paying this off before the end of this year since it's the loan with the highest interest.

New Job:
-Left my job as a Software Support Analyst in late May for my new job as a Implementation Analyst making 8k more a year. So at about 56k
I tried to get a bit more out of them to hit 60, but they wouldn't budge. But it's not all bad, as now I'm doing something which has better career prospects, is more engaging, and I can build off of my business/accounting background..I'm thinking about furthering my BI skills and being a BI developer to combine both coding and business analytics....seems right up my alley.

Less Debt:
Well.....in all fairness I guess I get a bit more due to getting a new car, but I didn't have much of a choice as that thing was on its last leg. And I also wanted something I wasn't embarrassed to drive around in since it didn't look all that great even though it was clean inside and out...sometimes you can't make a turd look any better than a turd ya know.

But I did put down more on my student loans, which now lies just above 18k. Combine that with my new car loan and my total debt is at about 26k

So yea, that's about it for now...nothing else to really report on. My biggest problem is putting off my debt. I can't fall into the trap and of not taking debt seriously. For motivation, I'm gonna read more from the forum.

Side note: I've been interested in the idea of starting an eCommerce business...not sure what to sell yet though lol. Just interested in the idea of making some side money. Although, part of me thinks that I'd have better luck just investing in stocks/bonds, etc.

Chris

Post by Chris »

Wow, that's quite a few changes in the past six months.

That's too bad you needed to take on debt for the car purchase, but I assume you'll be saving quite a bit of money in the auto repair department. And the Fit is better on gas than your old ride. What's the commute like to the new job vs. the old job?

TheRedHare

Post by TheRedHare »

Chris wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:01 pm
That's too bad you needed to take on debt for the car purchase, but I assume you'll be saving quite a bit of money in the auto repair department. And the Fit is better on gas than your old ride. What's the commute like to the new job vs. the old job?
Yea it was unfortunate, but it was time. The commute to the new job is pretty terrible; 18miles and at rush hour its about an 1 to 1.5 hours one way. I'm looking forward to getting my wfh days back which should happen 1 day a week within the next couple of months. Eventually I'll be able to work almost full time remote, but it'll be at least a year or more until then.