An American Millennial

Where are you and where are you going?
Viktor K

Re: An American Millennial

Post by Viktor K »

@jacob will do! I'm not investing my HSA yet, until I get a higher amount in there. That was the advice from my financial advisor at first. Since tax-saving are great, but I'm actually trying to get the discount on medical expenses, and not risk it in the market. I can split it AFAIK, so I can have a cash part (for medical expenses), and a growth part for investing. So their advice was add cash until you've got the medical expense coverage you want, then risk the biscuit with the extra once you get there. Sounds solid in my head, I usually take their word for it...

@Scott 2 thanks again for all the insight! I get what you mean now too. And I didn't expect you to say that you were before in the individual-contributer mindset as well. My manager has mentioned the same thing to me before. Sometimes in the back of my mind I think you're like his alter-ego and just playing my strings lol. It's totally something he would do.

This WLB vs. growth is a big reason that the potential for me getting a direct-report towards the end of next year potentially sweetens the pot. More direct reports, more power right? As far as the 'game' goes. The 'game' and 'power' are things that make me *yawn* though.

Like you, I recognize the added stress/weight and problems of management... shit runs uphill as you put it. I am fortunate, my manager doesn't really ever pass on anything bad to me. I will say, that that's been the norm for me my whole career, since I consider myself a good worker (worker? maybe 'employee' is a better way to put it, referencing how I typically get along with the organization in an amicable way, even while deep down I'm selfishly motivated). And ya, that could put me off from it. Part of me thinks I can be above that, compartmentalize. But maybe when I do this in practice, I instead just become worse in other areas of my life, as the added stress spills over, influencing my mood/reactions more than I realize.

I think I can ramp up technically (skills) in the Spring. That would put me ahead of the 'every-3-year-upskill/retool' advice I've received elsewhere and I can start job shopping in the Spring as well. That should put me in a good place come summer when I need to consider again my salary, title, *growth opportunities* and what I can get elsewhere. That seemed to work pretty well this year.

But if the D&D stuff gets any momentum, I'll probably trade both progress on the technical and manager routes for progress on the hobby income, and maintain the WLB.

One thing on the manager route, I think I'd get a kick out of mentoring. ENTJ after all, it's like a problem. On my better days, I censor my feedback with my girlfriend, maybe 50% of it. I can be critical and still 110% respect someone... I like to guide people to solutions, or hand them solutions... So code review, getting called to help with a problem.. I do that stuff for free already whenever I get a chance on LinkedIn (maybe 1-2/month, "hey can you look at this JS real quick") with people just 6 months - 1 year behind me in the dev journey. That's probably the rose-tinted glasses version of managerial path.

on the systems @Scott by the way... I don't know if this changes anything. But our platforms and apps are so small and specific... I don't actually know if that's the reason so let me not try to infer the why. But we will be rebuilding platforms more than updating/maintaining. So for example, the platform I'm building now, is a new version of a platform built 4-5 years ago with different technology. Once launched and patched up, then I'm on to building some apps for other areas of the business/employees/tasks. Maybe 3-4 I think? Slotted for the next year or 2. And my managers words, 'by the time you finish those, it'll probably be time to go back and rebuild that first project you built for us.

I also got word from my manager who met with founder today about my current project and getting more people involved on feedback/design feedback and making sure it's very user-specific. I guess it wasn't known that I already do this.. since I don't want to build something more than once if I don't have to, and would rather change it when I'm working on it, rather than a few weeks later energy/excitement-wise. But this was more like the official...anyways their response was, "Okay but that means it's not gonna be done by the deadline... More feedback more slower" or something. And the response was "okay that's fine, doesnt matter when just that it's good". So basically the official:

We are moving from:

Cheap and Fast
to
Good* and Cheap

* design-wise, I suppose haha. not industry best practices necessarily.

My manager looks at me. I say, "So no deadline?" and he says "Yeah, heh, I guess." "That's what I like to hear boss!"

Lol....
Last edited by Viktor K on Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Viktor K

Post by Viktor K »

@Lemur Heck ya, I am also an enlightened ENTJ.

Haha just kidding, because I know what you mean. 16personalities especially I think missing a big chunk of the MBTI type... which is the functions. 16 personalities isn't actually MBTI. And MBTI isn't everything. Like you, I think the best is for showing our weaknesses and strengths, whether or not their exactly typed or not, and then helping us navigate those. A lot of times, when I throw around my type, it's more... not really sarcasm but like in jest. me and my girlfriend have actually recently started calling eachother by out types as a form of joking. Like when she does something... like for example, planning out an entire Saturday of to-dos, and then sitting on the couch all day saying, "Okay I need to get started"

And then 8pm rolls around "I'm so tired", so I'll be like, "lol so INFP". She's an INFP so she can't jest about my ENTJ. If she ever did it would be followed up with lots of laughter, touching and "I'm just kidding, I'm just kidding, I'm just kidding" to make sure that I know she wasn't CRITICIZING BECAUSE INFP WOULD NEVER! lol

Like you recognizing you're not the loudest, I have to recognize I often am. I also recognize why some conversations bore me but interest others (not this one, not most here), and that makes me think of times in the past when I've probably dominated the direction of a convo away from something. ENTJ and INTJ both highly intelligent, I wonder what came first? Intelligence or type?

But my emotional intelligence is so poor. My empathy and sympathy skills. ENTJ meme where the ENTJ covers someone's crying face and says "Please stop making your face ugly" reminds me a lot of very baseline challenges that I have in life, which actually brings a lot of shame to me if I focus on it too much and am overly critical of myself... It's probably the biggest thing I work on, that I may have never noticed or understood as well without personality typing and psychology.

I won't have a baby to save my relationship lol. I've heard of that, I don't know how people still do that. Mine again was a jest that I'll worry about my job less and more about being the "best" parent or something. I think you know that, but just in case.

ENTJ + INFP is very easy to get wrong, we have our low points. I think we've all dealt with someone "turning off" in a relationship, and I have a tendency to do that when I feel unfairness. My girlfriend will only turn off when upset. And as a pleaser, if something invokes a negative response from me, or we have conflict, that can be really hard on her. So these are things that we have to be aware of.

2020s been hard for us actually... probably the hardest in our relationship. COVID of course but we've had let me think... 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 major negative life events? It's been really brutal, lots of tears this year. But I think it's helping recognize natural patterns that we both fall into with each other when under stress. Eh, I don't want to get into it too much right now. But hoping for the best.

@jacob I hadn't seen that, thank you, I'll be using it and analyzing my games with it now for further insights! Looks like game and gamer psychology on a whole would be good to learn about, I had just only ever considered that one article I shared (which itself is just commentary on gamer research)

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

Viktor K wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:13 pm

planning out an entire Saturday of to-dos, and then sitting on the couch all day saying, "Okay I need to get started"

And then 8pm rolls around "I'm so tired"
ok but did you have to call me out like this
hmph

:lol:

Viktor K

Post by Viktor K »

@ertyu I think that one was from Instagram too, lol

In other news, I uninstalled league of legends last night

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

Congrats! I did this with fast food delivery apps. They can, I assume, be installed much easier than a full-fledged game, but even so, the extra steps required were a significant enough deterrent. Good luck with finding better and more satisfying uses for your time.

Viktor K

Post by Viktor K »

@ertyu definitely has had an effect. Not sure specifically. Last time I deleted LOL I binged coding tutorials and got a dev job a year later lol.

I’m playing another game now, single player, casual, pick up and play. I find these types of games have less of an impact on my productivity.

A big change has been waking up and drawing first thing in the morning. Have done that 1 week consistently now. I was inspired by a productivity app that tries to get you to drink 1 glass of water first thing in the morning.

I draw for 30-1hour and the then start work. This means my work day finishes a little later in the evening. Then eat and hang out and sleep.

Relationship improving back to level, lots of anxiety gone for gf with new job.

Looking at house or condo or townhome in or around Austin, maybe lake house. Budget not sure about...$200-$350k...

Would be a big purchase. Might do small condo instead, more downtown, but seems counter to what we have been wanting this last year. More space. A yard, quality indoors for how indoors we’ve been.

Advisor advice is to pay very small down payment, 30 year. Keep liquidity and look at higher return assets instead of dumping money into the mortgage. This was counter to my own intuition of putting a larger down payment, and paying off quickly. But what do I know?

Lease is up in March.

Looking at starting either paid games or some free one shots (1 week - 1 month games instead of long lasting) for practice and feedback. The DM I play with who is professional DM for kids said I could likely ask $15/session. So 5 players * $15 = $75/week for one game. Get 2-3 of those and I’m at $1000/mo.

Will also help inspire maps and more so even fast mapping, which I can turn around and flip on Patreon.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Are you thinking Austin because of the tech companies relocating there? I was reading about it today, wondering what the impact is going to be on real estate in the area. With low housing inventories due to covid, it seems like the swing could be dramatic.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/202 ... as-exodus/

Viktor K

Post by Viktor K »

It is an added benefit @Scott 2... or maybe it is an added benefit? I read that Austin is about 10% overpriced. I don't know much about real estate, but I do worry about the price difference. Especially between San Antonio and Austin, with San Antonio just 30-45 mins away (depending on part).

I do think that at least if we need to find new jobs, post-COVID but before the next pandemic, at least we'll be in a potential tech area if we're unable to find remote work.

Our move is more based on cost of living, getting more space, yard, and having better outdoors. Texas hill country pretty much northwest San Antonio over to about West Austin is really nice, Austin has a few parks and lakes that are nice. And if we end up in that sort of area, we'll be within an hour of some family as well.

We will need a vehicle, I think, unfortunately. Fortunately, my Dad is down there and can help us find and learn to take care of a vehicle, which will be nice.

The hardest part is this being a likely 3-year minimum, more likely a 5-10 year living situation.

And we are deciding between something like a 2 bedroom condo, more central, or something more in the hill/lake country, 3-bedroom house like. These have different price points of course, but very different lifestyles as well.

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

A friend who DM's finally helped my wife and I create DnD characters on Friday, and we will be joining a new campaign with him and a few of his friends starting next Sunday. Thought of you =D

Viktor K

Post by Viktor K »

Got the next few days off, next Monday, and two days on New Years. Hopefully can figure out my life a little. I do feel rushed. Idk how people 40 hours/week for 45 years their lives.

Did not map last week. Did refactor my entire project. So much more fun to work with newer tech.

Took extra time off around holidays. I do have unlimited PTO. Founder said my project deadline didn’t matter anymore. As long as it’s good, then deliver when it’s ready. I’m like a project manager developer designer QA DevOps engineer customer support and business analyst all in one lol.

Looking at apartments in south austin. Quite seriously. Going longer duration with potential for eating cancellation fees instead of looking for Heavily marked up short term lease.

Today my day off could totally play DND. But do not have games or players today. But makes me think that effort towards building a player base and hobby revenue would be good.

@2birds how’s the game? I hope it’s what you want. There’s a lot of different styles of games. Maybe one day there could be a ERE DND game, remote of course, led by yours truly, Viktor K

wolf

Post by wolf »

Viktor K wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:55 pm
I’m like a project manager developer designer QA DevOps engineer customer support and business analyst all in one lol.
Sounds like a Renaissance Man's dream in IT. You like it?

Viktor K

Post by Viktor K »

@wolf it’s not bad. Theoretically, I’m getting a lot of exposure to all different areas, which theoretically should help me later in my career. However, I don’t think that will pan out. From what I can tell, I’m a finance and management background away from doing what a CTO does, but I don’t think that’s gonna be my next career move.

It’s nice that I know everything about my project, and thus my companies entire online platform. If there’s something, somewhere, that might be broken, I know where it is.

Since all the code is written by me, there’s no cognitive stress trying to understand someone else’s. There’s also no practice doing so, which is bad.

Technological co-founder could be an option too, but again, don’t think anyone will believe me. I don’t have social capital (and don’t want to work for it), I don’t come from some wealthy family business, and I’m not obsessed enough to go into entrepreneurship.

Thus I think the wide skill set / exposure is more beneficial to my own wellbeing, and job security. I don’t see it serving me beyond a short, casual, work from home career of code-slinging.

I’ve put out an add for a free to play, 2-3 month weekly d&d game. I was pretty specific of my type of game, and included and application with questions that’ll give me insight on others, since I think a lot of people don’t really know what they like, or lack the Mental/verbal framework to describe it accurately.

Knowing terms is very beneficial in my opinion. And concepts, and theories. I’ve always liked frameworks for understanding complex things e.g. balance of power in international affairs, realism liberalism and constructivism, etc.

But I think my long ad, and brief questionnaire helped out a lot. I’ve got 10+ applicants for my 3-5 person game, and they all look like a good fit. So I will consider running two games either consecutively or simultaneously, probably same adventure.

One content creator actually sells 1 page adventures. I thought I might be able to do something like that too, once I’ve playtested them with random Facebook strangers.

My one offs and freebies could also be used as a marketing tool for getting more paid players. “This game will last 2, 4 hour sessions. Def o check out my Patreon if you have fun, or even consider joining one of my paid slots. With that being said, everyone ready to jump into the world with me?

It’s a rainy day in the highlands, as seems usual, you can smell the rain, and feel the cold humidity bead up on your skin....”

Viktor K

Post by Viktor K »

December spending

Code: Select all

Home	$1,172.50
Shopping	$670.35
Food & Dining	$296.55
Financial (post-tax)	$283.62
Bills & Utilities	$245.76
Uncategorized	$240.00
Fees & Charges	$16.50
Auto & Transport	$10.93
December goals

Cutting uncategorized spending in half from $600/mo - success
Restaurant spending under $250/each - fail by about $100 (some pending charges not shown above)
Shopping + food <$500 - fail (christmas shopping)
December notes
  • Signed mid-March apartment lease in Austin - $400 fee (added to Home)
  • Added D&D free game, limited duration
  • Joined paid DM Discord server, learned a lot - seems like taking candy from a baby
  • $600 surprise Christmas bonus from company - cybersecurity a good industry
2020 notes
  • High 'uncategorized' spending
  • Total spending: $42,557.67 (includes $7200 financial, $3000 in loans, ~$32,000 spending)
  • Some spending skewed because of reimbursements from company
  • About $28k increase in net worth
  • Part of year I paid rent for 2
  • High discretionary spending, about 3:1 split living:discretionary

Viktor K

Post by Viktor K »

January 2021

2020 is over, thank God. For some in the US, it's, "What pandemic?" For others like myself, I'm doing everything I can to not get infected. I look to countries like China, Vietnam, with envy. I reread a post from Feb 2019; I was just back from Thailand and determined to get a paid developer role. Coming back to the US summer 2019 definitely had some normal culture shock, but it's turned into a bit of a cultural disgust with the pathetic handling in the US of COVID, constant crime, overt bigotry in the media, and the whole MAGA-crowd. Obvious shortcomings of a individualistic, short-term oriented culture make me feel like an outsider in "my own country". My mom got COVID, and subsequently infected my sister, and was happily standing in line in grocery stores, drinking at restaurants, and airplane-ing around the continental US all of last 2020. Her travel before symtoms started theoretically guarantee that she infected or at least put others at risk of infection. I feel a great deal of shame knowing that my own mother has contributed to the problem.

ERE graphs

Pets			$1.476.09
Home			$772.50
Financial		$283.62
Bills & Utilities	$187.67
Food & Dining		$90.02
Uncategorized		$80.00
Shopping		$79.30
Fees & Charges		$5.50
Highlight of the month is cat eating a 6-12 foot long piece of string and getting that nice and stuck in the rectum for an emergency pet hospital bill. The big bill came out of my account, we had subsequent appointments of several hundred, total spending for us both around $2.200 with the emergency now 2 weeks behind us and cat's stitches removed this last weekend.

Uncategorized spending down from high of ~$400/mo. This is mid-month update, so lagging behind 1 paycheck. Emergency fund is high, advisor is screaming at me to "TAKE MORE RISK"... not really screaming, but it sounds like screaming when your conservative financial company advisor tells you to go find some weird stocks and "off the beaten trail" indices.

Personal

Fitness: Some of us gain weight when sedentary, some of us lose. At the start of the month I was down over 10 lbs (~4.5kg). Super sendentary to round out the end of 2020, so fitness, health - these things I want to improve. I've gained a gut once before, in college, when I was trying to figure out what was next transitioning from my competitive soccer and track/xc high-school life, to my hippie-stoner-student life. For now, that's been a 2.200 calorie diet plan, putting on 6-10 lbs pretty quickly, and getting some weighted bands at the recommendation of work-boss.

Relationship: Been with my girlfriend since the very early hatchings of the TEFL in China plan, a few years before this journal started. 2020 was a roller-coaster, starting with family catastrophes, friend deaths, fucking COVID, some major personal health woes, and 650 sq ft of apartment from within to try and navigate all of these while still remaining amicable. Mistakes were made, patterns were created, and we're slowly trying to claw our way out of that. She is still the most special person I've ever met.

Hobby: D&D is ramping up, and I've taken the plunge into hobby income. On track for $200 USD/mo right now on 1 session/week. That is the low end, and as an experienced DM, knowing what I know about other DMs (from the "play in other games to get a better understanding" efforts of the last couple months), I can certainly double my prices. I can also add another game. 1 game with strangers, the first test game of sorts, is free, and running on Tuesdays likely through March. Once that's over, or before, I can open up 1-2 more slots for paid games at either the $200/mo or $400/mo price point, somewhere in between probably.

Professional

Dev: Dev is the easiest work ever, I swear. Extreme WLB, to a fault, complete detachment from the normal woes and deadlines and micromanaging of other branches of the business. Good boss goes a long way in that. Recommended for highest raise possible (seems company went more bureaucratic almost immediately after I negotiated another $9.000 last summer), but there's still money left on the table I imagine... 1.5 years of dev experience on a small team, major contributor role... starting to specialize. It's not a question of if there's a $100k+ position for me, it's how long would it take to find it and would I hate my life there.

Hobby income: Unsatisfied with the estimated FIRE date for me, for the last couple years I've for-the-most-part kept a $6.000 USD post-FIRE income in my Excel FIRE calculator. Well at (at least) 50% of my potential asking price, and 2 hours/week, I'm on track for $2.400 USD this year from hobby income. Time to add another game, at a higher price, really flesh out the online DM presence, throw some of these maps into a Patreon for some bonus income, and... ya, super wild that the paid game was so easy to start and is going so well. A DM I networked with back in November bluntly described paid GMing as "taking candy from a baby". Ultimately, you've got hoards of people that want to play, very few that want to DM, COVID has completely blown up the online gaming scene, and then, of those that want to DM, you've got a huge dearth for quality. Roll the dice on a free game, or chuck up some extra beer money for a quality experience.

Financial

Pets: My bad, must have missed the string. Didn't miss it on the way out, pulled out nearly 4 feet of string before it stopped coming out easily. That's the "emergency" signal, something we're very well aware of since both our cats seem to be pretty high on the Pica spectrum. Cue two weeks of babysitting, cleaning, medicating, and following up with vets post surgery... Checked pet insurance, seems like a ripoff (surprise, surprise, USA).

Salary: Salary up $14.000 since start in summer, 2019, with another raise allegedly on the way. After the Austin move, might be time to spruce up the resume, do some practice interviews on the low-hanging fruit, and then make a targeted effort to increase salary significantly with a new position. We will see, it's not a focus right now, as saving is essentially an after-thought.

Emergency Fund: At roughly $45.000 liquid, this is the big honking "put that in the market" that my advisor keeps talking about. I'm risk adverse as hell, if not obvious by now.

Final thoughts

I'm now an example of American inequality, and at the low level at that. Small fish now, before I was a guppy. Quality of life is lower than in China (but also COVID), biggest thing is the "oh, $2000 pet bill... ok" instead of "I'M F*CKED!". I'm working from home, don't have to risk the Karens and COVID at the grocery store. Best case scenario, avoid getting COVID, keep up to date on vaccines, and be somewhere better in the next 2-3 years after the Austin move. Maybe Europe (they suck at COVID too, but traveling), or over to Asia (maybe Japan, air quality, sanitation, still a bit cheaper than US, and better culture). At least Trump not in my news feed anymore.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

We take a similar approach to pet care. I know I'll pay whatever it is needed. The only "hack" I've found for keeping prices down, is avoiding corporate vets (ie VCA, Banfield). Private vets tend to be substantially less expensive. They are also more willing to control costs, by making educated guesses, instead of stepping through the standardized treatment flowchart.

With your high savings rate and increasing salary, $45k isn't that much money. Maybe it's a bigger cash bucket than you'd ideally hold, but by how much? Is it $20k that needs to be invested? $30k? What's the expected return over a year? 10% return against $30k is only $3k. Even that very generous estimate for expected returns is almost irrelevant.

IMO your advisor should help develop a personal investment strategy, not rush you into the market. This part of accumulation is when you learn how to invest, before the numbers are big and scary. How do you respond during a drop? Can you keep emotions out of it? Etc.

The inequity problem is wild. You've got just a taste of the disparity. It escalates. People are sucked in, because they reach a point where a $50k car feels like that $2k vet bill just did. It's a lot of money, but in practice, they never feel it. I've seen reasonable people have very serious conversations around the merits of a $500/head dinner.

I do think it was obvious from your early posts, that you have the right mindset for technical work. Not anyone can pick these things up, especially they way you have done.

Viktor K

Post by Viktor K »

Good point Scott 2, hadn't thought about the savings in a 'what's the return' sort of way. That makes me feel better about it. The idea with our $30k too is that it's 6 months of spending for each of us. So if both of us lost our jobs, we'd have that 6 months runway without any changes to spending.

And ya I know we don't know my advisor together, and no one is gonna know who they are probably or w.e, but I'm being a bit hyperbolic. If anything, my advisor is more of a listener than I want. But always gives good advice, just sometimes I have to press like..."What would YOU do though???" I'd like to get a second advisor (mine is free, commission based on stuff I don't really get), just to get that second sounding board. I chose this one because I knew them before, and back then I always thought like, "Wow, this person actually gives a shit about people," kind of the same feeling I get from my girlfriend.

As for cats, ya... A big bill could be bad, of course. I'd hate to be in a position of... well, my cat, basically our child together, or my savings fund... That would be terrible. Hopefully it doesn't ever come to that sort of situation.

As for a drop, I hated having bitcoin back when it first hit $20k, sometime while we were in China. That was stressful. But the stock market, 401k... I don't really care. Closer to retirement, hopefully 3-5 years from now (feel like it's always 3-5 years from now, since journal started...), then I'd not want to see a lot of volatility. Might feel different then, I'm sure.

Cheers Scott, always good hearing from you.

singvestor

Post by singvestor »

Impressive increase in the networth chart!

Viktor K

Re: just a person

Post by Viktor K »

2020 was a good year @singvestor!

...well, you know what I mean. For net worth at least