Lurker's journal

Where are you and where are you going?
Demosthenes

Re: Lurker's journal

Post by Demosthenes »

@Kriegsspiel, whoa I didn't realize Greer was this big. Ten years of blog posts and many books, and I just picked up Ecotechnic Future on a lark. I have lots of reading to do.

@Jason not sure I'm getting you. German forestry? Haven't we been doing that for centuries? I agree with your last point though. We may appear as the crazy ones now, but in the future those roles will flip.

Demosthenes

Re: Lurker's journal

Post by Demosthenes »

Oh hey there.

Long time since my last update. Coming up on 2 years since I read Jacob's book. Things are going pretty swell, and I'm happy to report that my predicted baby expectation date is two months sooner than I thought. We are due in January at some point and will launch plan "stay at home dad". I unfortunately was unable to become financially independent before this point, but that will come with time.

I'm sitting at 14.5 years expenses net worth, but most of that is in my house. I've been paying it off as fast as possible to reduce expenses to ensure we can survive off of a single income. Running the numbers and feeling the finance crunch for the first time since school is pretty exciting. I enjoy challenging life scenarios as I don't think I had enough of them as a child. When growing up is easy life is dull.

I'm sitting between several 7 + years in the future life plans:

* Stay at home dad for 7 years, work for 5 years, retire.
* Stay at home dad for 7 years, work for a couple years and then move into the country with some farm land. Never retire.
* Stay at home dad for 7 years while working on a side gig. Make patchwork income from many different activities in the city. Retirement time unknown.
* Don't stay home with kids, work for 10 years (lots of extra expenses), retire.

I keep flip flopping between the options (except for the last one after running the numbers), but so much can change in 7 years. I figure I should just be patient and let the motion of the ocean take me wherever it wants.