Lurker's journal

Where are you and where are you going?
Demosthenes

October's Update

Post by Demosthenes »

Yay month's over! I love reviewing finances. The charts show a pretty standard month, despite spending a fair amount on charity.

Expenses (in yearly expenses)

Net worth (in yearly expenses)

Income vs Expenses (in yearly expenses)

Extra fun news, the LOC part of my mortgage is paid off! Seeing a positive balance is a strange sight.

My life goals took a back seat a bit this month. I resealed the driveway, patched the chimney, created more raised veggie boxes, but I didn't read as much as I wanted.

I read How to Be Alive by Colin Beavan. It droned on a bit but was an okay read. There are 5 pages in the book that could have been ripped out of YMOYL which I thought was funny. The part that I'm trying to digest is the "you should change your community" part. He suggests that raising your torches and pitchforks against the injustices of the government and big businesses will make you happy because you are making the world a better place. I'm not sure I could do that, but I do see the appeal of "doing" despite the law (to a certain degree).

I have 7 books on hold in the library that I can't wait to get reading. Lots of suggestions from this forum (so far most book suggestions from here have been great!).

I suppose that's all for now. Not too much to talk about. Perhaps November will be more exciting.

Demosthenes

Re: Lurker's journal

Post by Demosthenes »

Financials are following the same trends as last month so nothing to report there.

After reading How to be Alive (as mentioned in my last post) I was left somewhat inspired. I reflected on my goals in life which are: Reduce waste, balance food and exercise, and help the community. HTBA suggests that the community aspect of your life is truly important to happiness. Every step forward you take to being involved in the community will make you happy, and build upon itself. These words in theory are powerful, but it is very easy to become discouraged.

My step forward was to try and poll my home brewers club to see if there was any interest in starting a "clubhouse" where we can all meet and legally share drinks and talk about the craft. It was amazing how much negativity the idea received saying "this has been tried before and will fail" or "it will be a disaster" and "it will never work". At first this motivated me to prove everyone wrong, but the negativity continued to the point where I feel nobody would trust me even if I were to go ahead and procure a lease on a location (sticking my own financial neck out).

This must be what entrepreneurs feel like constantly but it's very disheartening to see a decent amount of work go down the drain or to get in trouble financially.

What I have seen from this whole experience however is how powerful ideas can be. A book influenced me to reach out to others when I otherwise would have continued being a hermit and building my capital until I FIRE before I involve myself with volunteering or other community based activities. I can see why so many people on this forum become writers. They want their ideas to influence others as the things that they have read have influenced them.

Demosthenes

January update

Post by Demosthenes »

Better late than never I suppose.

I had a couple interesting things happen recently
1) I paid my parents back for the down payment on the house. Now I only owe the bank
2) I fell off the bandwagon (hence the lack of posting)

First, charts!

Net worth by yearly expenses (yearly expenses updated from avg 2016)

Monthly expenses

January was a pretty fucked up month from an expenses standpoint, and it's going to continue into February. It seems bills line up at the beginning of the year. All this before our renos on the house start. I'm feeling the weight of owning a house that's for sure. In theory all of the Jan expenses are amortized from previous months but I think they will continue for the next couple months as well.

The band wagon could have been a couple things. I've been dreaming of handing in my notice over the last couple months in order to pursue more creative efforts, but it doesn't fit with the life plan. I've been dreaming of continuing my efforts with gardening but the season doesn't permit. I've been dreaming of getting through this whole season on my bike, but both my and the bike's will is draining. It's in need of some serious repair and can't make it below -18c anymore.

There are so many times in my life where I've wondered "how does everyone else do it"? My father worked (still works) 30 years at the same company without batting an eye. Colleagues and friends have seemingly no purpose to live.

I had an interesting conversation with a family friend who encouraged me to work 12 hour days to get noticed by my superiors so that I could get promoted. I asked him "why" and his answer was textbook. Cottages, cars, lifestyle that he enjoyed while he was growing up. My close friend recently stated that owning a desktop computer was a liability and a money sink. You can't own one without purchasing a new $1000 graphics card every year (or two with SLI). How have people found meaning with these purchases? How does anyone find meaning with any purchase?

Anyway, I'm aware of the sound of this journal so I will move on. I recently attended a "how to start a community garden" workshop at the local library. There were 15 or so attendees who were for the most part highly accomplished gardeners looking to give back to the community. I just went since it was in the local newspaper and I was curious of the types of people that would attend. The amount of priceless gardening experience that was thrown around as part of the discussion was incredible. Nobody really was interested in talking about community garden creation, but rather their experience with growing vegetables and their trials and tribulations. Some were waging war on squirrels wile others on ground hogs. It's experiences like these that give me meaning for some reason.

I blame 7wannabe5 a bit for my melancholy. She suggested on a random post the book "The ecotechnic future". It has proven to be a pessimistic read, as many future looking environmental books are. On the one hand, you as an individual can do everything in your power to live on a small carbon footprint, but constant evidence from your peers every day shows you that the book is right and that we're all fucked. The book strives to find a more "K selected ecology" where we have more cyclical processes for consumption and production, but such a thing can only happen post apocalypse. It's an interesting read, but is effecting my mood clearly.

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

If you thought that book was depressing, definitely don't go read all of the Archdruid Report. Green Wizardry is probably ok though.

Jason

Post by Jason »

Like Woody Allen, I am at two with nature. However, I just finished reading "Seeing Like A State" by James C. Scott which traces the origins of modern day ecology to high modernist thinking i.e. unwavering believe in human rationality that first manifested with German Forestry - nature become natural resources, poly-cropping becomes mono cropping.

You are not dialing that shit back even though (according to Scott) all attempt at social engineering (rural and urban) are dismal failures for the local communities prosperity and well-being.

He said something very profound - Ecologists and those concerned with the environment are the new abolitionists. I can see that.

Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

@Kriegsspiel, whoa I didn't realize Greer was this big. Ten years of blog posts and many books, and I just picked up Ecotechnic Future on a lark. I have lots of reading to do.

@Jason not sure I'm getting you. German forestry? Haven't we been doing that for centuries? I agree with your last point though. We may appear as the crazy ones now, but in the future those roles will flip.

Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

Oh hey there.

Long time since my last update. Coming up on 2 years since I read Jacob's book. Things are going pretty swell, and I'm happy to report that my predicted baby expectation date is two months sooner than I thought. We are due in January at some point and will launch plan "stay at home dad". I unfortunately was unable to become financially independent before this point, but that will come with time.

I'm sitting at 14.5 years expenses net worth, but most of that is in my house. I've been paying it off as fast as possible to reduce expenses to ensure we can survive off of a single income. Running the numbers and feeling the finance crunch for the first time since school is pretty exciting. I enjoy challenging life scenarios as I don't think I had enough of them as a child. When growing up is easy life is dull.

I'm sitting between several 7 + years in the future life plans:

* Stay at home dad for 7 years, work for 5 years, retire.
* Stay at home dad for 7 years, work for a couple years and then move into the country with some farm land. Never retire.
* Stay at home dad for 7 years while working on a side gig. Make patchwork income from many different activities in the city. Retirement time unknown.
* Don't stay home with kids, work for 10 years (lots of extra expenses), retire.

I keep flip flopping between the options (except for the last one after running the numbers), but so much can change in 7 years. I figure I should just be patient and let the motion of the ocean take me wherever it wants.