Gus' road to retirement

Where are you and where are you going?
Augustus

Re: Gus' road to retirement

Post by Augustus » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:06 pm

classical_Liberal wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:24 am
Thanks! I usually kick around different ideas for a few years before getting my ass in gear and actually doing it, I also doubt I'll ever get around to doing everything I dream of doing, mostly it's just idle speculation :( it's kind of funny, my criteria for doing things has actually become "things that I keep coming back to think about over years of time." If I loop back to something 3+ times over a few years, I put it high on my list of things to do. Nursing is interesting to me though, when it fits my schedule. One of the main benefits IMO is that one day I'll need health care, and after pursuing one professional field I've realized most professionals are very mediocre but a layman can't tell the difference. One day, if I don't become a professional myself, I'll be one of those laymen at the hospital and won't know who is the moron Dr/nurse vs the good one. It's also very recession proof, always going to need nurses, some day skynet may displace programmers. AND you can do per diem. Checks a lot of boxes. Plus I think biology is cool in general.

Pursuing another degree at this point will be both difficult and expensive. I realized one of things that set me back so far in accumulation over the last 2 years was the 42k+ we spent on degrees. I want to accumulate a bit more before going again. It would also be nice to be a typical student, instead of a working parenting student that has to skimp on studying as much as possible and do the bare minimum to pass. By the end of my other degree it started to come down to: how many things can I fail or get a C on and still pass?

Apps on the other hand are free other than the cost in time for me to write them.
prognastat wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:46 am
Yeah that's my thinking as well, app 2 will be much faster than app 1, and app 5+ will probably be as efficient as I'll get. Hopefully one or two of them will be profitable. If not at least I have a new skill to sell.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:28 am

Augustus wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:06 pm
One of the main benefits IMO is that one day I'll need health care, and after pursuing one professional field I've realized most professionals are very mediocre but a layman can't tell the difference. One day, if I don't become a professional myself, I'll be one of those laymen at the hospital and won't know who is the moron Dr/nurse vs the good one. It's also very recession proof, always going to need nurses, some day skynet may displace programmers. AND you can do per diem. Checks a lot of boxes. Plus I think biology is cool in general.
Yes, my knowledge is invaluable wrt personal/family healthcare. I've actually joked about starting a business based around being on call for people who need hospital care. "They don't need that, they should do this instead. Don't go down that rabbithole, you'll regret it", etc. Problem, of course, is I'd lose my license quickly. Still, It's a free service for friends and family :D

I'm pretty sure my current distaste would improve with some time off. I also just tend to get bored/frustrated with any career after about five years. So if you're interested, I don't want to dissuade you. The world needs good nurses. And if you're a good nurse you will touch peoples lives in ways you can't imagine as a "civilian".

Augustus

Post by Augustus » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:46 pm

classical_Liberal wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:28 am
Take the time off! I still feel like doing per diem one day or two a month sounds awesome. Seems like it would be perfect for both taking time off and not eating too badly into principal.

Helping people is also high on my list, so one more box checked. My problem is I have so much I want to do! In 2 years when my expenses drop and my accumulation is done and I scale back on work I'll have to check out nursing programs and hammer away on prereqs. Maybe I'll double major with astrophysics :D I want both! But then I wonder if I'm getting too old... The younger the better I guess, so starting in 2 years is probably my plan.

Augustus

Post by Augustus » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:54 pm

Random aside: doing these apps has been the most fun I've had wrt business/making money in a loooong time. There's nothing quite as exciting as launching a new venture that has big prospects. It's also just exhilarating to do something new. Even if this fails, I've legitimately enjoyed myself, and it's satisfying to have crossed off a bucket list item.

My consulting stuff I've basically just been showing up, doing a decent job, and making sure that I deliver on my promises. That's better than most of my competition, but my heart isn't in it, and it's such a challenge to motivate myself. My main motivation at this point is that if I try real hard I can finish early each day and take back a little time and enjoy myself.

prognastat

Post by prognastat » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:34 am

Is your work in consulting showing off any benefits yet for yourself or your customers?

Augustus

Post by Augustus » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:11 pm

prognastat wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:34 am
I get a good monthly income, and they get the software they want. It was exciting when I first started the business, because it was new and there was a lot to learn. Now there's neither, and it's just the money I'm after. I do legitimately try to care for the customer and their needs though, which is why my contracts tend to go multi year and get extended I think.

It is what it is, I'm very fortunate to have gotten this business model to work, I make good money, I work from home, I'm sure most people are wondering wtf I'm complaining about. I read some quote somewhere once to the effect of: "it doesn't matter how hot a girl is, there's some guy somewhere who is tired of ****ing her," it's crude, but it does make a point, no matter how nice something is we all get tired of it after a long enough time.

prognastat

Post by prognastat » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:17 pm

Well I know for myself I tend to get bored with most jobs after about a year or two at best. I know there are some people very high ion conscientiousness that remain fulfilled, by just doing a good job. However, once it gets to the point where I've learned most things there are to learn in a job I tend to get bored.

suomalainen

Post by suomalainen » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:48 pm

Augustus wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:11 pm
"it doesn't matter how hot a girl is, there's some guy somewhere who is tired of ****ing her," it's crude, but it does make a point, no matter how nice something is we all get tired of it after a long enough time.
I always heard it as "it doesn't matter how hot a girl is, there's some guy somewhere who is tired of her shit". Probably distinction without a difference, but I hear you. I think that's where golden handcuffs come in, right?

Augustus

Post by Augustus » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:33 pm

suomalainen wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:48 pm
I think that's where golden handcuffs come in, right?
Yep, and one more year syndrome. 2 more years and I'm done, I swear! I give you permission to give me massive amounts of shit if I am not scaled back to part time work around Sept-Dec 2020 (when kid goes to kindergarten).

I just got back from another thought walk, and was thinking, wtf am I doing going back inside to work on a day as nice as this? California is fully in bloom right now, green plants everywhere, 70 degrees, birds of paradise, flowers, palm trees, a nice breeze, pretty clouds, etc.

Augustus

Post by Augustus » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:23 pm

It's been raining and we're all sick so I've been sitting at home daydreaming about the future. I think I'd like to get a van in the next couple of years after accumulation is done, alternatively I am using it as motivation to make the apps sell, if I get enough money out of it I'll use the first profits to buy my van/office/surfmobile.

I've settled on a Ford Transit passenger wagon. There's a rental place nearby that sells used ones for about 15k on the low end. My plan is to take out all the back chairs and sell them all except for two, I'll keep the two in the garage and put them in when I go on family road trips. I'd go super minimal on it, a laminate wood floor, some storage nets, and some d rings or eyebolts would be the only modifications. Maximum open space. A Japanese traditional roll up bed for sleeping, a hammock, a folding table, and some camp chairs. All bungee corded in and as out of the way as possible when not in use.

I'd use it as an office/surfmobile mostly. When I semiRE I really want to go on road trips every summer with my kid for a week or two.

I have been kicking around the idea for years, I really want to do it. If I was single I'd probably be full time living in it a few months every year.

For now I'm dreaming of having the apps make profit and coding new ones on my own schedule, no longer working on my clients schedules, lazing in a hammock at the beach, pulling some books or a nintendo switch out of the storage nets. It sounds amazing.

Augustus

Post by Augustus » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:13 pm

I just found out one of my best friends died about an hour ago. I used to chide him about planning for the long term, for the past 8 years or so he has enjoyed working as little as possible and barely making enough to cover a studio apartment by the beach. Apparently he knew what he was doing and maximized enjoyment and earned just the right amount of money. He inherited seizures from his father's side, but his father's side all lived to ripe old ages, so this is a shock for everyone. I have a contract ending soon, I think I may take some time off in between, life is too precious. Who cares if it delays me a little.

I'm a little scared about getting older, if it means that I'll outlive the people I talk to on a daily basis. That's where it's hitting me the hardest, I had daily conversations with the guy for more than a decade. It feels really depressing to know I'll never have a conversation with him again, and that I can no longer vent about random things to him. I think I need to make more friends, and young ones too. I can understand the logic of wanting to die first.

This is definitely a push in the direction of semi retiring earlier. Life is random and you don't know when your time is up. An hour today is more valuable than a theoretical day 10 years from now.

Clarice

Post by Clarice » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:16 pm

I am really sorry about your loss, @ Augustus. Life is really, precious ,indeed, with many things that we don't control. I am visiting my parents right now and seeing my old friends, lots of joy and sadness at the same time. My parents' life is very difficult. They are old. They are not practical people. My mom is very ill. Their love, however, is owe inspiring. Hang in there. Take care of people who are still around.
Last edited by Clarice on Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:17 pm

I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend.

Mister Imperceptible

Post by Mister Imperceptible » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:09 pm

Sorry for your loss Augustus.

suomalainen

Post by suomalainen » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:23 pm

Sorry to hear it, man. The loss, the hole left behind, the suddenness, the finality - it all sucks.

wolf

Post by wolf » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:24 am

Sorry to hear!

prognastat

Post by prognastat » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:40 am

I'm sorry for your loss. Having been able to maintain a good relationship for that long it must've been very precious.

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:06 pm

That sucks, but it sounds like you are taking good lessons from it and remembering good times.

Every moment wounds, the last one kills.

Clarice

Post by Clarice » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:49 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:06 pm

Every moment wounds, the last one kills.
Love it!

Augustus

Post by Augustus » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:28 pm

Thanks everyone, I sincerely appreciate it.

One of the most difficult aspects of this for me is how often both of us would dream of the future, and plan future projects. I don't really have a replacement person who I can talk with that has a similar background. We met as software engineers at the same company, later on both of us went freelance, and both of us enjoy(ed) the freedom of being able to work from home, and in his case he realized the dream of not having to work much, while I took the different path of accumulating so that I can have free time in the future. Talking shop about clients, complaining about various programming/people problems, dreaming of the future and hatching new ideas for new projects, are daily rituals for me. I have other friends who have some similarities, but my daily routine is interrupted at this point. Every time I get agitated or find some cool article my instinct is to shoot the idea over to him, so I keep running into the same brick wall and realizing he's not there anymore. I suppose that is one problem with working from home.

It's also a little creepy in a black mirror sense, in that he still shows up in my feeds and chat icons, and I can send messages that he'll never read. I find myself wanting to read some of the stuff that he posted that I never got around to reading. It's fucked up. I have recently been toying with the idea at some point of giving my daughter an archive of my online presence. Maybe she could read it when she got older and I was dead or whatever. The downside to that is what I'm going through right now, it's very weird that ones online presence will continue on after you're dead.

But yes, I need to take care of the ones who are living. Having a wife and daughter helps a lot. They keep me rooted in the moment and help get me out of my own head, which is basically an infinite loop of regret and depression at this point, and mourning things that will never be. A young child especially will get your back in the moment, since their whole existence is pretty much this moment, they have not built up the years of experiences yet that they can look back on. Or the dreams of the future that turned out to be just dreams that will never become reality.

I'm going to take his advice and live more in the moment. He always said I ought to just take time off now, that I was always delaying my dreams, and he couldn't understand why I was doing that. So, I'm planning to take more time off, and sooner. We both always wanted to do some frivolous software projects or other whimsical things. I plan to move some of those up higher in priority and maybe a throw a dedication in them to him. I figure I'll try to sneak one day a week where I do basically nothing but what I want.