Gus' road to retirement

Where are you and where are you going?
SavingWithBabies

Re: Gus' road to retirement

Post by SavingWithBabies »

@prognastat Resin has been interesting. I didn't expect the resin to smell so strongly. It is much more of a hassle to work with liquid and it's toxic too of course. For the smell, I ended up spending another $120 or so on an activated charcoal filter, duct fan, duct and motor controller. Apparently, this is the same equipment marijuana growers use! That worked really well -- I put the printer in an enclosure and suck the air through it and vent out the charcoal filter back into the same room. I'm still getting used to working with the liquid. The fine detail is amazing but if I didn't need/want it, I definitely would prefer using a filament printer.

prognastat

Post by prognastat »

Has the increase in print fidelity been worth the added hassles you encountered?

What kind of prints has it been most valuable for?

SavingWithBabies

Post by SavingWithBabies »

@prognastat I think so. I'm not 100% sure yet. I want to print N scale things so 1:150 or 1:160 scale. With this resin printer, I can print a 10.5mm tall person and have some detail which is a bit mind blowing to me. It's not super easy because you have supports and such (with it printing upside down hanging down figuring out supports is still tricky for me). So I'm using it to print non-functional models although I do want to try printing some small model train trucks so I can insert some commercial wheel sets and make my own train cars. And similarly print some locomotive shells (the shells clip onto a commercial base that has the electric drive train). So for now I'm tinkering while improving my CAD skills and trying to figure out a way to make this hobby break even in costs.

On the forum/Facebook groups, it seems like most resin printer owners are table top gamers doing miniatures, dentists printing dental things, jewelers printing items to cast and the model railroad/diorama people.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal »

Enjoy your summer! The reading list sounds like something I would enjoy.

classical_Liberal

No, two more months! It's really getting to be a drag, but I do have two weeks off at the end of July. Sept can't come soon enough for me.

classical_Liberal

Life, for you, sounds magical! Just remember to suck off this tit of contentment for as long as possible. Life will eventually throw a curveball, so don't do anything to shorten the best of times. Congrat's man!

wolf

Post by wolf »

That was an insightful description of how your focus changed during the last 10 years. It sounds amazing. I guess the "money problem" is solved then?
Augustus wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:22 pm
I'm actually kind of sad to go on my road trip, because I've been enjoying myself so much right here. I've heard the idea thrown around that you should make your life a sort of vacation, instead of dreaming of vacationing for 2 weeks a year, or dreaming of FI, you should be building your life in such a way that you're on a perpetual "vacation." I call it maximizing joy. This is my primary focus now.

I think you mean the quote from Seth Godin
Seth Godin wrote:Instead of wondering when your next vacation is, maybe you should set up a life you don't need to escape from.

suomalainen

Post by suomalainen »

Congrats, man. Enjoy it for what it is while it lasts, knowing that this too shall pass, either because you get your fill of it and you're ready to try something else, or because that unexpected curveball gets foisted on you.

Mister Imperceptible

Post by Mister Imperceptible »

I hope you spend more time dancing in your underwear at home before you have another kid.

suomalainen

Post by suomalainen »

Not a jinx, just a restatement of the facts of life - impermanence, hedonic adaptation, etc. For me, I think the key is the mindset-shift - the things you do every day: preparing meals; grooming; caring for kids, spouse or others; tidying up; creating/fixing things; etc...these are all forms of work. Working for money is also a form of work. Sometimes we work for money so we can avoid doing these other jobs; sometimes we take care of these other jobs so that we don't have to work for money. At the end of the day, work needs to be done and it gets done one way or the other. Why spend so much time stressing about it being this work or that work?

Point being - as you said above too,
A balanced schedule, some productivity but nothing overwhelming the entire day, consciously choosing what to focus on, etc seem like they may be the key to my eventual retirement.
Accept the fact that life requires some work without differentiating that this work is "good" while that work is "bad". It's just work and although you might have preferences, perhaps it's not a negative thing...but thinking makes it so.

That said, full-time work (whether paid or chores) + parenting = unbalanced and therefore draining.

classical_Liberal

Augustus wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:18 pm
Upon reflection, perhaps what really kills me about working full time is that it overwhelms everything else. When I'm done working after a full day I'm drained, and all my other aspirations are pushed to the wayside. If it were just a portion of my day each day, and I could do some work in the morning, and hit the beach or write or read afterwards, it might be a positive thing?
Pretty sure you are psychically channeling me here! There can be the group work side of this too. It forces some social interaction. Which, even if you don't love all the personalities, tends to be good to a limited degree, too much time with people who aren't my type overwhelms. Also, there's the whole "forced" group dynamics. Because lets face it, adults have a hard time playing well together to reach a goal, but in a job most feel obligated to show up and do their part. Even amateur sports teams are hard to keep together in 30's+ age range (I've tried, it sucks). I kind-of like accomplishing group goals, it creates comradery.

This whole thing goes back to my main problem. Paid work for someone else, at least my experience of it in the US, has very little respect for personal schedule. Sure, there can be some flexibility, as long as you put in your 50 hours or whatever. However, the total time commitment and/or the days or time of day they want you, always force a whole bunch of compromises on personal life. I wish I had an answer. At this point the best I can see is part time, or full-time with large breaks. Not sure which will end up better. Unless you want to work for yourself, but that's not an option for me in any serious endeavor because I'd be the worst boss I ever had. My personal expectations for myself are way too high.

EDIT: Although there is the concept of work and play intermingling/being indistinguishable, but I'm no where near this Wheaton level.

classical_Liberal

Interesting update. How long were you off in total?

I think #1 will eventually happen to me, but I'm most worried about #4. I tend to find a home for my anxiety no matter what I'm doing, at least when I can blame it on work and having lives literally in my hands it stays out of personal matters. I just don't think I'll stress about money though, for some reason, once I decided to place accumulation on the back burner all my money anxiety is gone.

suomalainen

Post by suomalainen »

Ebbs and flows, man, ebbs and flows. When we’re in the flow, an eddy could look pretty good. When we’re stuck in an eddy for a while, getting back in the flow starts to look interesting. I think the thing about ERE or semiERE or FI or FIRE or whatever version you have is that it allows you to transition from ebb to flow and back again at will and without fear. THAT is true freedom. Why be stuck in either one when you don’t want to?!

Congrats on jumping back in the flow, following the feeling of what you need when you need it. Smart man.

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

This is very interesting to read about, coming from someone who is just behind you. The time I had, despite not as long as yours, was nowhere near enough imho. Please keep us updated if your sentiment changes.

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

A lot of food for thought. I went back and reread the last 6 months of your journal to refresh my memory. It sounds like the job was providing you with much more than an income in terms of structure and feeling of purpose, and your time off was spent largely unstructured. Did you retire to anything else besides surfing and spending time with the family? I feel like I would need some sort of structured times (PT job, volunteering, big projects) after a while off to feel like I'm doing more than just counting down the days as well.

Did your burn rate end up being the $2k/month you predicted?

I actually don't worry about a recession during a period of unemployment. It actually sounds like the most stressful time to try and secure work. c_L pointed out in my journal that a recession would just lower the cost of most things I wanted to do in semiERE anyway.

As suo pointed out above, it takes guts to go after what you want, even if it's something you didn't think you would originally. I really look forward to following your next chapter.

suomalainen

Post by suomalainen »

Augustus wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:59 pm
My expenses are a lot higher than most of the people on the forums though, high expenses cause stress, who could have seen that coming? It's my own fault there, *shrug* happy wife happy life
Double shrug. You know the saying in investing “Don’t fight the fed”? I don’t remember the exact etymology of the saying, but my general sense is that it means the fed is like the tide - you can fight the waves of particular economic data on particular opportunities, but you can’t fight the tide. Well, wives are like that too. Particularly when said wife is also a mother. You’d have better luck rolling back the tide.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

I had the same issues when I took a big chunk of time off of paid work a couple years ago. There used to be a lot of posts on these forums and elsewhere (MMM) about how not working was great because there was so much to do. That idea excited me for a while until I actually had the freedom to do whatever I wanted. The lack of structure and purpose drove me crazy (literally, although most of it was due to lack of community). While I had the option to do whatever I wanted, I tended to be lazy and achieve the bare minimum unless I made a schedule and set goals for myself. That experience made me have a 180 degree change in how I view work. And regarding purpose, I came to the same conclusion-family. It's really great to read about others having the same experience, for a while I thought I was an outlier. Thanks for sharing your experience.

classical_Liberal

Augustus wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:50 pm
now I feel like I'm going to be living below the standard I grew up with and have been accustomed to
According to whom? This type of mental framework is devastating and is what drives so much of the upper middle class culture in our country. A smaller townhome that suits your needs is NOT a lower standard of living. It's the standard of living that is right for your situation. It's a right-sized standard.

Mister Imperceptible

Maybe don’t buy expensive housing in a state that’s burning to the ground and ready to slide into the ocean.

Mister Imperceptible

Blackouts In California Could Be Needed For A Decade, PG&E CEO Says

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3507083-b ... e-ceo-says