NY Update #1
So far, things are going ok. We bounced around between my parents house and friends for the first 5 days, after which we hit the road for Syracuse, NY. One of my best friends lives up there, alone + 1 roommate in a 3bdr/2bath house. We haven't seen each other in nearly 18 months, and he proposed that we stay as long as we want/need to. That ended up being 6 days/6 nights.....we had great weather for the first 3, exploring the Green Lake state park, Erie Canal trail, and some other local parks. The next 3 days were non-stop rain, after which we felt very cooped up. Thursday we left Syracuse and traveled southwest to a little town on the NY/PA border where two of DW's cousins and their families live. It was 70+ degrees and sunny, so we enjoyed hanging out on the patio and having a large outdoor family dinner. School night for all of the kids, so we crashed around 11:30 PM. Our accommodation was a very nice camper trailer they have parked in their yard, which serves as a guest bedroom when they're not using it. We woke up yesterday at 4 AM to head back to Long Island. Made it home in 4 hours, got a few errands done, and did my first MTB trail ride in 8 months! DW studied for an interview she has next Wednesday.
Speaking of DW's interview.....the position would be remote to start, then have us relocate to Cary, NC, once the offices open and require employees back to butts in seats. Not entirely sure how I feel about moving to NC where we don't know anyone, but I haven't done any research about the area. Maybe some forumites have experience?
This has become an increasingly big part of our lives, for better or worst right now. Since we are currently relying on family for some help until we get back on our feet and things sorted here, dealing with them is a necessity. Luckily my mother is still in Poland, but due back to NY in the next few weeks. My dad is willing to see us as of Sunday (the magical 14 day rule after flying from a country which had way less Covid spread than NY), so we have the option of crashing in NYC in a pinch until my mom is back. DW's parents are divorced, and her mom lives in a 3 bdr/2 bth house by herself. She's willing to put us up through December, with no expectation of rent, though we would definitely help around the house and cover our costs. The rub here is that she works in a hospital 3 days a week......DW's father rents a small house with his GF and in a pinch we can stay there for a night or two, but no longer.
That leaves us in an interesting situation, because it would be silly/very difficult to try to find our own apartment for such a short period, knowing that we are very likely to leave NY after Christmas. But now we are committing to being homeless for 10 more weeks.......
Traveling around the USA is a no-go right now, because leaving NYS (for 42 other states) and coming back requires a 14 day quarantine. International travel for the foreseeable future does not look good.
We don't really have a plan yet. I've been thinking about the best approach to our next adventure....
Winter has put a bit of a damper on our adventurous spirit, but we are trying to figure out what might happen if we survive the winter, through several scenarios.
If DW gets a job, we might have to home base it for a while, albeit somewhere LCOL and warmer than NY. Being nomadic is a possibility, depending on how things play out with Covid-19 into 2021.
If DW does NOT get a career type through the end of 2020, and we decide to get the F out of NY, we have several options that we've talked about.
Thru-hiking the AT - it would have to look a bit different than years past due to continued Covid-19 risks/logistics issues, but certainly doable. We have the funds to do this now, just require a decent amount of gear/planning.
Van Life/Car Camping road trip through the USA - while we have the cash to buy/build out a rig, I'm not entirely sure either of us wants to drop that much coin on a capital expenditure given our extremely lean budget. We may both take some kind of PT jobs to fund this purchase, or at least offset it. Still completely unsure of what setup (minivan/hatchback + camping gear, high top van conversion, small SUV/truck + small camper) we would want to go with, but all of them would likely be $10-20k for a reliable setup that would be livable for 9+ months.
Doing a Workaway/WOOFing in another country, this would be highly dependent on Covid-19 situation, but the easiest in terms of getting health insurance and minimizing costs.
The first two options still leave us in a predicament wrt health insurance, as even ACA plans don't do anything for you out of state.