Where are you and where are you going?
Smashter

Re: ERE Experiment - Vagabonding On A Shoestring Budget

Post by Smashter »

Nice work! I really look forward to one day being "FI as fuck" :D

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal »

It'll be an interesting year for you, I'm excited to read about how the lifestyle change impacts your overall thoughts and life.

Jin+Guice

Post by Jin+Guice »

I'm really excited to hear what your adventures are like and how you enjoy being FI. I've been really enjoying c_L's post retirement journey. It's going to be interesting reading about your life upending juxtaposed against his keeping everything much more the same.

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

Thanks, anesde and Frugalchicos! May our paths cross in 2020. Happy new year to you both as well.

Smashter, I felt the same way not too long ago. The formula for achieving it is available to all of us here! It took a huge mindset change on how much we need to be happy. That was more important than any career changes or saving amounts.

c_L, it's already been an interesting few months. I'm ready for a big change. It's something I've craved and wanted to do for many years now. My biggest initial driver for reaching a more traditional FIRE was the freedom to travel and be location independent. This will be a nice taste of that. Even though it's only been ~3 months since I last had a job, it feels like so long ago. I've already gotten used to not working, and the next chapter is very exciting. I thought I would be anxious about moving out of a comfortable place we've lived for 6+ years, and leaving a life we know and enjoy quite a bit, but it's the opposite. The sense of freedom is making my smile from ear to ear any time I introspect about what it is we're about to do. There's also something amazing about giving up almost everything we own, and not being tied down to a particular place. Time will tell if we enjoy it as much as we think we will.

J+G, I too enjoy c_L's journal very much! He's already been doing a lot of the USA based travel that I hope to do in the future, with our preferred method being road trips as well. It's such a great way to see so much while spending so little. For us the key will be finding a vehicle/setup that makes it so that we don't have to spend money on lodging. Likely end up with a minivan or smaller cargo van to explore the USA for a year sometime in 2021-2022 after our thru-hike.

Speaking of thru-hikes, the wife and I were talking about what our return to the USA might look like next year, and we both agreed that if we can't find suitable (high paying, low effort) jobs without much effort, we'll probably jump right into a thru-hike for the summer. Planning to return from Asia sometime in the spring of 2021, in a little over a year. A lot will also depend on just how expensive this year of vagabonding ends up being. I don't think I've written much about the estimated costs here, but we've done a LOT of research. May as well break it down, and compare to reality vs. expectations. The trip will be broken down into three large segments; Western/Southern Europe (3 months), Poland (3 months), and SE Asia (5-6 months).

For Europe we estimate the costs to be the highest, mainly due to lodging. Budgeting $100/day which we estimate will break down to;
$50 lodging
$20 food (groceries, outdoor markets, some eating out/boozing on the local fare)
$10 activities/entertainment
$10 transportation (train, bus, ferry, local metro, etc)
$10 misc (travel/health insurance, mobile data, laundry, gym access, incidentals)
$9000 total for 3 months

For Poland, the costs drop to $75/day because we will have a free place to stay part of the time, and food is slightly cheaper;
$35 lodging
$15 food
$10 activities/entertainment
$10 misc (travel/health insurance, mobile data, laundry, gym access, incidentals)
$5 transportation (train, bus, ferry, local metro, etc)
$7000 total for 3 months

For SE Asia, we anticipate ~$80/day because we will be moving around more and doing some more expensive things like getting the wife PADI Scuba certified + refresher course for me, some island hopping around southern Thailand, surfing lessons and rentals in Bali, and some time in more expensive areas like Borneo and Singapore;
$30 lodging
$15 food
$15 activities/entertainment
$10 transportation (short haul flights, trains, bus, ferries)
$14,000 total for 6 months

Which breaks down to ~$30k estimate for one year of living a completely nomadic lifestyle on a day to day cost basis. This does not include any large and sporadic costs over the year (medical care, transcontinental flights, returning to USA in fall for my brothers wedding, unexpected "emergencies") for which we are estimating an additional 20% buffer. Depending on how those pan out, our year abroad could end up costing slightly less than our normal life over the past 12 months in the USA, or slightly more. If our estimates are shit, it could be a whole lot more, in which case we have to decide whether we eat the cost or just cut a portion of the trip shorter.

Hope y'all have a great weekend.

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

It's finally starting to feel real. I'm typing this while sitting outside in the backyard wearing shorts right now, and while it happens to be Sunday, I could be doing the same thing any other day of the week. It's been 15 weeks since my last day of active work, and we are going to officially become nomadic in just under 7 weeks. There's still a good amount of purging, selling/donating, packing, and consolidating left to do. We're both going to get international driving permits, needs to get copies/digital copies of our passports and other important documents, finalize the travel/health insurance choice, get rid of the remaining "beater" car, and tie a few other loose ends with address changes and mail/paperwork.

I don't miss work at all. Part of it is just the fact that my last gig was so isolated most of the time that my lifestyle doesn't look all that different than it did when I was working (sans crazy travel, usually in bursts). Looking back on my career, I do miss my time at my first white collar job. It was definitely the people/culture and friendships that have developed as a result. That's an environment that I could tolerate on small doses if future circumstances require it, but I can't say I have the slightest issues with boredom or feeling unfulfilled. I've been sleeping much better. A big change in schedule as I've always been a "morning" person, or at least I would pride myself on calling myself one for many years. Now with only a few exceptions I wake up naturally with no alarm clock, and have settled into going to sleep around 11-midnight and waking up between 7-8 AM most days. Lucky to have friends who are business owners/work non-standard 9-5 M-F hours, I am able to meet up for runs/MTB rides during the week. The wife being out of work right now has also given us a good taste of what both being financially independent could look like. It's an interesting observation, but I find myself completely content with doing my own thing in her presence if I feel like I need some space for my own thoughts/activities. We are able to do a lot of things together sporadically throughout the week, without having to worry about schedule or time. I could see PT work and separate hobbies as a great way to "do our own thing" and have friends outside the mutual group we've been a part of for almost a decade. When we were both working, it made us appreciate the time we had together more, but at the same time were too stressed/burned out sometimes to enjoy each others company. I feel like we're both much more relaxed around each other, and are really enjoying this time.

I'm no more or less active than I was when I was working, as my favorite hobbies/pastimes during the warmer months were always MTB, cycling, running, hiking, walking, etc, and I got to do plenty of those even while working. Come to think of it, if I were to go back to a FT 40 hr/week job, than WFH sales is something I would definitely consider delving into. A fully remote position could allow for a nomadic lifestyle, and flexibility to continue a non-traditional lifestyle. Right now that's out of the question though, I would really have to need the income or have some alternate reason to go back

Living with one car for 2 months now, and it's been fantastic. I can't imagine needing to be a two car household again. Since switching gyms a few months ago, I've been walking to the gym almost every time I go. Driving has dropped to maybe 400 miles a month between two people, and that's primarily to see my family (live 40 miles away), and a few friends and family that we regularly spend time with. Unfortunately our area is very car reliant (no sidewalks in the residential neighborhoods, unsafe main roads with no/narrow shoulder, and things that are generally spaced about 3-15 miles from where we live. In the future, I would like to live somewhere that's walkable, which could require no car (renting when necessary).

Extrapolating the cost savings from NOT working, it's very feasible for us to afford this lifestyle in a M/HCOL area for ~$30k/yr for two people. With a 3% WR throwing off ~$21k/yr, the delta is not large. Of course this is just fun to think about, since future needs/desires will completely change. And we would still have a way to go to prove we can hit $30k/yr, considering our health insurance was heavily employer subsidized. We don't play to ever completely rely on assets for long term expenses, but would like to eventually cover 100% of actual expenses using a 3% WR. A few short bouts of work should get us there without much effort. Especially if we continue to optimize on the expense/skills side. Geographical arbitrage could be used to lower costs to the $24k/yr level immediately, so that's a nice option as well. Some of you may remember the observation on costs of living in Poland from this past summer......I think I pegged our current standard of living over there @ ~$20-22k/yr. I'm sure SE Asia could be done for same/less.

I have a question for anyone who may have experience in this area, and it's regarding my cell phone service. I've had the same number and been on a family plan with my parents and brother for nearly 20 years. The plan is with AT&T if it matters. When I was in Poland over the summer I could use my phone on WiFi to make calls/send texts using my normal number without using any cellular data. This was extremely helpful for stuff like verifying my identity for credit card authorizations, two-factor authentication, and sending pass-codes to reset passwords for accounts that act cloogey when you access them from different countries. Right now I'm paying $60/month on this plan to have unlimited minutes/txts/data, but won't need any of that while traveling. I would like to keep my phone number, and find a cheap plan (maybe prepaid?) to port my number over to, so that I could continue using Wifi calling/text to dual-factor authenticate and make calls from a US based number.

AT&T allowed international WiFi calling/texting for free (no roaming), is this something that every provider offers? I won't need to use any actual data/cellular minutes while traveling, as we will have local sims for data plans to use and a local European phone number. Does anyone know of a cellular provider that I could use to keep my AT&T phone number and use free WiFi calling/texting on? Is there a solution I'm not currently thinking of?

Ego

Post by Ego »

You could port the number to Google Voice for free. You can make calls using Skype over WiFi for free from anywhere. You can change the caller ID number so that Skype displays your current number allowing it to work for account verification.

The good thing about using Google Voice is that when used in combo with a yubikey it virtually eliminates the most common account vulnerability, sim swapping. Most people use their phone for 2fa for bank accounts and other important logins which is better than nothing but not terribly secure.

If you don't have one, get a vpn for your phone and computer.

bluecollarmusician

Post by bluecollarmusician »

Hey, @2birds!

Nice to see you over here- I finally created a username over here. :-)

I second porting the # to google voice. You can use it from anywhere... I did it years ago with my # and never looked back. We have traveled a ton over seas and all you need is a data sim wherever you go. And then you just get a local # wherever you are. People can call you, you can call them. Simple as pie.

Frita

Post by Frita »

I am excited for your nomadic journey. It sounds awesome. I am interested how closely your actual spend matches your budget. (My trip budgeting sucks. I am usually, “It will cost X +/-,” and I am correct within a few hundred bucks. My spouse is more a It-costas-what-it-costs guy. We just make sure that we have the money and prepay tickets and some lodging.)

MEA

Post by MEA »

Probably not as good as the other options mentioned, but I know Republic Wireless will allow you to call/text from wifi for $15/mo. And it shouldn't be a problem to keep the ATT number.

wheatstate

Post by wheatstate »

Another vote for Google Voice.
My main number that I give out is there. Anyplace with wifi will act like you have your USA number. I like texting at a computer keyboard more than my phone. It is an awesome no monthly cost option. There could be a one time $20 porting fee.
The catches are Google is giving little support or development to it. When using your cell phone in the US, people may see your preferred number or the actual carrier number on caller ID.

If you like google for your email and phone needs, You might like Google Fi, their cell phone plan. Google Fi has significant international coverage. Cost is $20 per month for unlimited texts with calls abroad at $0.20/min and Data at $10GB. You pay for what you use. This would integrate with google voice as I understand and keep your number all in one place. I like the idea. I don't travel enough and like a cheaper US cell plan.
https://fi.google.com/about/

classical_Liberal

Sounds like you're keeping super busy, the vagabonding sounds so cool!

I kind'a wished I had planned something "big" in advance, like you have. It's easy to get sucked into a contented, hang out around town life without any plans.

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

Good Morning Folks!

It's been a while since I've posted here, opting to lurk instead. For some reason I've felt like I needed a break from online forums over the past month.

Thank you to the folks who chimed in re: the phone question. Looks like Google voice will be the way to go. My phone is already unlocked internationally, and tested this past summer in Poland, where a Sim + unlimited talk/txt + 10gb Data only cost me $12/month. If I understand correctly I would be able to make phone calls using my local number on the Sim Card + Google Voice calls using my old US number that's been ported over, using the mobile/WiFi data available on the device, regardless of location.

This is key for two factor authentication with my financial (and other) institutions, as well as friends/family being able to keep in touch. I'm a bit worried that it will screw things up in the US, but I could always update my accounts or go in person if I'm stateside.

Musings

January has proven to be a fairly lazy month. We're slowly chipping away at our to-do list. I'm getting over a pretty bad cold/sinus infection that I got a few days after a 10 mile run/race done in 18 degree weather a few weekends ago. Playing a TON of video games (WoW Classic for anyone curious). And generally content with being inside during the crappy/cold days, and trying to get outside and into the sun as much as possible when the weather permits.

Dealing with some very unpleasant family drama, which has me in a bit of a rut. My parents are very unhappily married, and it's been a very awkward and uncomfortable situation over the holidays as their quarrel intensifies. On top of that they are both dealing with health issues, and aging rather poorly. Don't know what the future will bring on that....

Having been lurking the forums a few times a week, I've keenly read some discussions in J+G and c_L's journals, and continue to wonder if I'm ever going to figure out a more resilient plan for our ERE future. I go back and forth between thinking that even 15X expenses is very "safe", and wondering if 44X would be "enough" if I couldn't earn income in the future...….but these are thoughts that are not top of mind at all right now.

The wanderlust is getting stronger, and both Mrs. 2B1S and I are looking forward to rebooting our life in a few short weeks. We both hope that this will be much more than a long vacation, and will be approaching life with an open mind, both during, and after.

Happy Hump Day!

davtheram12

Post by davtheram12 »

2Birds1Stone wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:01 am

Dealing with some very unpleasant family drama, which has me in a bit of a rut. My parents are very unhappily married, and it's been a very awkward and uncomfortable situation over the holidays as their quarrel intensifies. On top of that they are both dealing with health issues, and aging rather poorly. Don't know what the future will bring on that....
I'm sorry you have to deal with this :cry: I came from a home where my parents were always fighting and arguing. Arguments were usually about money but toward the end of their marriage it focused more on the machismo and marianismo aspects of their beliefs. It created extreme turmoil in the household among my siblings and parents. We were all at each others throats and each passing day made life more miserable. My siblings were easily manipulated by either parent into 'taking sides' and it made things more toxic. My parents are now divorced but they still regularly make things awkward when the holidays and other family gatherings occur. Unfortunately, I eventually realized that I couldn't help the situation and estranged myself from my family altogether. It was the only way I could salvage any semblance of peace and quiet.

I hope you can separate yourself enough emotionally from your parent's quarrels so it wont cause you any more grief. I know how much it hurts to watch but I hope you can find some peace and resolve.

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

Thank you for the kind words, dav. I think being nomadic over the next year should help with that. Time will tell :)

January Financial Update

Combined Assets
$721,000 (+$4,000)

Combined Spending
January - $1,243
Trailing Twelve Months - $32,313

Combined Income
$3,986

Savings Rate
68%

Current Withdrawal Rate
4.5% (Portfolio = 22.3X annual expenses)

Activity
23.5 Miles Ran (40 miles last month)
39.6 miles biked - MTB (80 last month)
75 miles walked (91 miles last month)
13 weigh-lifting sessions (10 last month)
2.4 lb gained (209.6 on 7 day average)

Musings

Individually @ $18,062 - TTM Spending, 31.9X annual expenses, and a 3.13% WR

Much less activity this month. Second month in a row gaining 2+ lbs. Will February be a turning point?

classical_Liberal

Geez, real impressive spending numbers in January! Is the wife back to work? When are you guys gonna leave?

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

Hey c_L!

Here's a breakdown of my individual spending for January! It's low for two big reasons. Housing costs were prepaid a month in advance, and our security deposit was treated as last months rent, so no out of pocket cost in Jan/Feb. We are also eating through our pantry and as a result grocery shopping was very low! Not having a car and related bills also helps!

$77 Grocery
$28 Gas
$274 Entertainment (Bars, restaurants, activities, etc)
$74 Travel (AirBnB Porto)
$23 Gym
$82 Misc
$54 Gifts
$612 Total

Wife is still not back to work. She had the MRI which showed a grade one tendon tear in her shoulder, had a cortisone shot a few weeks ago, and was approved for 12 more sessions of PT. We have a Dr appointment next Friday to see if she's cleared to go back to work. Income for January was a combination of workers comp, UEI, and interest/dividends.

We move out of our place at the end of this month, and fly to Portugal second week of March. Staying with family for those ~10 days we will be homeless in the states.

Making a lot of progress on the packing/downsizing front. The apartment is starting to look a bit bare, and most of the things we want to keep have been transported to our parents houses. Mostly junk furniture and sell/donate items left!

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

Chipping away, bit by bit. More progress has been made. It's a good thing we are not waiting till the last few weeks to start this giant undertaking. It has felt so damn good to purge and purge. We've taken two carloads of junk to the dump. Given away many things, and stored the essentials we know we will need upon our return. Should be able to continue with daily progress until our move-out date at the end of the month.

My packing cubes arrived yesterday, so naturally I did a practice run and packed my backpack. Maybe too much detail, but for anyone interested in what a packing list for 12 months of slow travel looks like in a carry-on....

One set of clothing which I will be wearing; jeans, sweatshirt, trail runners, and a hat. Packed;

6 pairs of socks
6 boxer-briefs
4 t-shirts
2 long sleeve synthetic shirts
1 thermal long sleeve
2 sleeveless undershirts
2 pairs of shorts
1 pair swim trunks
1 pair athletic shorts
1 rain/wing jacket shell
1 pair Birkenstock EVA
1 travel towel
1 small toiletries bag (soap, toothpaste/brush, floss, 3oz laundry detergent, sunscreen, razor, nail clipper)
1 pair sunglasses
2 30L trash compactor bags (to water proof the stuff in the backpack if hiking in rain).
1 emergency poncho
1 laptop and case
1 small electronics bag (10k MAH powerbank, headphones, laptop charger, phone charging cable, socket adapters)

This all packed into my Kelty Redwing 50 pack, with plenty of room to spare. The packing cubes are the compression style and made the clothing super compact. Total weight - 22.8 lbs! Over the 10kg limit for carryon on most airlines, but we have a solution!

Additionally, we each get one personal item on the plane, and are opting to take a small and lightweight "daypack" backpack.

Shifting my laptop and SO's tablet + electronics into the personal item, brings my pack down to 19.5 lbs and my SO's down to 19.0 lbs, it also gives us the ability to pack some snacks, empty water bottles + small filter, and a few magazines/books to read. We don't want to use our 50L packs daily once we are in a location for a few days or a week, so it will be nice to have smaller packs to use for short trips and day to day. Once we are on the ground we can consolidate everything into our large packs and not have to worry about weight limits.

Yesterday I was able to file our taxes, and the check should hit my account right before we leave. I know this is money that was technically earned last year, but it feels good to have something coming in now that I'm unemployed.

Hit is pretty cool milestone thanks to a bit of market gains and lowered spending. This is 51 months of captured detailed data....

Unlikely to be sustainable due to increased spending in the coming 12 months.

We also need to sell our remaining car (the beater), and I may have found a potential buyer. We're only likely to get $600-700 for it, which was a huge win since my SO purchased it for $1k from my father and drove it for 30 months! I sold it to my father for $1500 after owning it for ~7 years and 75k miles.

SO has been approved to go back to transitional duty at work, meaning to heavy lifting, and shorter hours for now. It's been two days, and so far so good. Insurance company still owes her $1,700, and it's been a pain in the ass trying to get it.

Still need to;

Get passport photos (phone app + self printing at drugstore)
Get international drivers permits (AAA)
Scan documents (backups of passports, marriage license, etc)
Store documents + jewelry in safe box
Purchase Travel Insurance (have to do outside of NY State for legal reasons)
Notify SO's employer (next week!)
Change our mailing address on 25+ different accounts (financial, government, benefits, etc)
Remaining packing/cleaning the apartment (still quite a bit left!)
Junk the furniture
Sell beater car (hopefully interested person doesn't flake)
Vacate apartment (end of month!)

Then we will be bouncing between friends and family until we fly out the following week!

Hasta la pasta, USA.

The Old Man

Post by The Old Man »

2Birds1Stone wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:05 pm
I have a question for anyone who may have experience in this area, and it's regarding my cell phone service.
My communications setup:
(1) AT&T Mobility: When outside of North America I convert to a $0.25 per min/sms pay as you go plan and deposit $100. The deposit keeps the number active for 365 days. You also don't lose the deposit as the amount remains available to be used and can be carried over.
(2) Eir (Ireland): The EU/EFTA has scrapped roaming fees. Eir has a reasonable fair use policy where the data roaming is limited but sufficient with no other restrictions. SIM card can be obtained on eBay, so you can have it before stepping foot on the continent.
(3) Travel SIM: A world SIM. Prices seem to be reasonable. SIM can be obtained from their web site.
(4) Google FI: Terms of service do not support extended international use, so I do not use.
(5) Google Voice: The core of my system. Receives phone calls and texts messages and forwards to my email. Unfortunately, it is not a complete 100% replacement for a standard phone number as some systems do not support, so you need a backup for the rare exceptions. In theory, can make free calls back to the USA.
(6) Skype: Tool for international phone calls and SMS.
(7) Whats App: Tool for free international SMS although requires the other party to also have the app.

The bible on Prepaid SIM Cards:
https://prepaid-data-sim-card.fandom.co ... _with_data

Laura Ingalls

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I am on team packing cube too. I think I would consider a pair of long travel pants. Some places are warm enough for shorts but too buggy or required for entry into a temple.

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

Thank you both for the tips. All of this is very helpful!

We now both have International Driving Permits, mine includes a motorcycle endorsement.
SO has given her notice at work.
My tax return was processed by the IRS and the refund should be hitting the account this month, last income before we leave!
Passport photos for visas acquired. Hack, got a free passport photo app for cell phone, printed 6 2x2" photos on a 4x6" print at CVS for $0.36
Sold a set of brakes for a car we no longer have, $50 score!
SO changed all the address information on her accounts, I still have to do mine! Dreading it lol.

Still need to sell car, finish vacating apartment, finish packing stuff that we are storing at parents, and scan documents.

It's really a short list at this point! Less than 3 weeks to go :)