2Birds1Stones' 325 day hustle to freedom!

Where are you and where are you going?
2Birds1Stone

Re: 2Birds1Stones' 350 day hustle to freedom!

Post by 2Birds1Stone » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:03 pm

I found it very hard to readjust back to being in the office today after 9 days away.

So much so, that I worked from 7:30 till about 1 PM, then ran to get groceries and finishing the day from the backyard. Something about sitting in the sun, sipping a home brewed iced coffee, and listening to tunes while digging myself out of the ol' inbox. Beats the cubicles and mindless banter between my peers and higher ups.

It's definitely getting noticeably harder to conform to office "norms" as the FU$ pile grows.

People who are FI need to be careful that their employer doesn't realize they don't need the job =P

Frugalchicos

Re: 2Birds1Stones' 325 day hustle to freedom!

Post by Frugalchicos » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:22 am

“People who are FI need to be careful that their employer doesn't realize they don't need the job”

Very true...sometimes I need to remind myself I have to take my job more “seriously”...especially when I day dream about my boss’ face when I handle my resigantion in less than 2 years ;). Having options feels amazing

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:59 am

Yea, it's a struggle haha. Any time I feel anxiety or stress about work, I remind myself that I am completely FI if I move to Poland or SE Asia right now.

Today I am working from home. Started the day by getting up at 5 AM, meeting a friend by 6 for a 6.2 mile run w/ 700 feet of elevation gain, fairly slow with a 1:06 finish. Was definitely feeling the MTB ride I did on Sunday morning, which was an ass kicker after not riding for almost two weeks.

Answered email and did some research from the backyard for 2 hours while listening to the birds and drinking my coffee. I'll have a super productive next 4 hours, then I plan on taking a break from 2-4 PM to watch the World Cup match, which will be tricky because I'm on an internal conference call from 3-4 =P.

In the afternoon a walk, maybe a swim at the town pool, and then BBQing some burgers for dinner.

I'm trying to limit my time spent on work related tasks or office time to 30-50 hours a week, depending on what is going on in my life right now. I think that's a fairly good balance considering I get to work from home about 50% of the time when I'm not traveling. Out of all of the careers I could have chosen, I did alright in the grand scheme of things.

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:12 am

Well, this week turned out to be pretty amazing. I worked from the office 2 days, 3 days from home. Managed to get 2 MTB rides, 6.2 mile run, 2 hours of beach VB, 15 miles of walking, and 3 one hour weightlifting sessions in. All of these are extremely enjoyable activities to me, and a big reason why I can't imagine how someone who is ERE'd or retired complain about being bored.

On top of these, I would love to have more time to swim a few times a week, learn how to sail, volunteer a bit, and maybe take on a few other mentally stimulating and low cost hobbies to balance out the physical ones.

My SO had her annual review this past week, and she was told that she is in contention for a full time position this fall. It would bring her income up from $30k to $45-50k range, which would help us reach FI sooner, and also provide us with medical benefits while I'm on sabbatical in 2019 as well as if I chose to stop working before her, which is the plan.

We've talked more about how we will execute our plan over the next few years. While things change, we have a pretty good idea. There are a couple of things that have to pan out with work, but they are mostly within our control. It looks like she will be able to join me for ~20 days in Poland in 2019, which is motivating her to earn/save more money between now and then. I'll be off for 4 months at that time, and spend an extra 3-4 weeks there with family. When I come back to the US, I'll spend a lot of time on all of those things mentioned in my second sentence of this post, as well as exploring some new hobbies. Then we are both taking 9-12 months off in June of 2020.......after that? TBD

Have a great weekend =)

ETA: Intermittent fasting has been going really well. I'm down ~10 lbs since June 14th, and am shooting for another 15.