White Belt's Military Journey to FI

Where are you and where are you going?
bigato

Re: White Belt's Military Journey to FI

Post by bigato » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:24 am

Ok, sounds terrible. Thanks for the patience on explaining it and sorry for being so harsh. I'd probably go full celibatory in that situation or just go to the places where you outright pay for sex (and probably save money that way).

white belt

Post by white belt » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:33 pm

July Report
Income: 7038
Savings Rate: 87%
Expense Total: 906

Housing - 350
Insurance - 54
Cell Phone - 24
Internet - 15
Music – 10
Mail Box – 20
Dating – 52
Food/Restaurants – 136 (no groceries)
Gas – 7
Shopping/other – 238 (bought lifting shoes)

Expenses were low because I only spent a week out of the month in the US, which means for most of the time there wasn't entertainment available and my food was all provided. I've ultimately decided to include food expenses that I spend during work travel from now on; the only expenses I leave off are those that are fully reimbursed.

Income is tentative because I need to confirm some of my deployment pay. I now include per diem money that I get for travel.

Financial Snapshot
Net Worth: $181.5k
Taxable: 55k
TSP: 68.3k
IRA: 31.3k
Cash: 28.2k

I'm going to deep dive my current asset allocation in a future post, but that's the overall picture. I'm thinking about throwing 20k in a 6 month CD to potentially use towards a down payment on a rental property in the future. I'm starting to accumulate some assets, so I need to put some more thought into my investment strategy. Currently I'm almost entirely in index funds with some TSM, some international, and some bonds.

Obviously the numbers from this month look amazing, but I don't think I'll be replicating that savings rate until I deploy again.

While deployed, I was able to get into a regular lifting routine. I've been following Starting Strength and my current 1 rep maxes are as follows (based on 1RM calculator):

Squat - 315
Bench - 203
Press - 135
Deadlift - 309
Clean - N/A (I just started learning proper form and I haven't gotten it down enough to add weight)

I'm trying to get to the 1000lb club for Squat/Bench/Deadlift at a body weight of 165 (currently at 827 lbs and ~162 BW). I think I still have a lot of room in my linear progression on all 3 lifts.

white belt

Post by white belt » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:50 pm

@bigato

Well it's all relative, and my current location is actually significantly more populated than my last duty station so I can't complain too much. Also I travel frequently for work to more desirable locations.

Besides the fact that soliciting sex work is illegal in almost all of the US, I also think that my strategy financially is actually cheaper in the long run. This is because if I find a partner willing to participate in something like a friends with benefits situation, I really only have to pay for the first date which usually isn't more than $20-30. From there I can have frequent sex with this partner with virtually no additional associated costs until we part ways, at which time the process starts anew.