Trailblazer's Journal

Where are you and where are you going?
Eureka

Re: I retired!

Post by Eureka » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:28 am

trailblazer wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:40 pm
I'm trying to think like an "owner" of my life - no excuses, I'm responsible for my future - corporate life is an assault on self esteem.
+1

Big congratulations on your retirement! Well done, it all sounds so right to me.
So we'll see what comes next. Immediate goals are physical fitness - currently woeful - and ways to involve myself in society that add value to the life of others (ideally in a way that adds cash flow to my life as well).
Any update on this part?

MDFIRE2024

Re: Trailblazer's Journal

Post by MDFIRE2024 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:27 am

trailblazer wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:46 pm
My ideal setup is going to be some sort of low cost home base, with about 50% of the time spent on the road. I need to think that through further . . . Maybe extended stays in different countries mixed in with long trips home to visit close family, and/or buy a very cheap condo or trailer in the US. Perhaps periodically mix in short term freelance work projects.
Sounds like a good idea. Indeed, I also thought about this setup in the FIRE phase. Then you can have both: stability and freedom. I like to have a place which I call home, especially near friends and family. But also I like to have the freedom to do and try things somewhere else e.g. traveling... I guess that setup supports the P and J of the personality types of the MBTI. I guess a 100% P or J would have different setup e.g. vanlife or homeownership. However, I am looking forward to hear more retirement stories from you. :-)

Jason

Re: Trailblazer's Journal

Post by Jason » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:32 pm

Great job Trailblazer. You are the poster child for Jacob's five year plan, give or take a few years.

Can live on a dollar a day. Sounds like a joke that begins with "What does Elon Musk and an ugly stripper have in common."