Bankai's Journal - ERE mode:hard

Where are you and where are you going?
Bankai

Re: Bankai's Journal - ERE mode:hard

Post by Bankai » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:15 pm

Finance

Expenses in October were £1140, or £570 per person (1.05 JAFI annualised). Excluding the capital part of the mortgage payment, expenses were £910 or £455 per person (0.83 JAFI annualised). Other than food and bills, we spent less than £206 on everything else.

Oct SR - 78.4% (inc. pension contributions and capital part of the mortgage payment). This is the third month in a row when I'm at or above "the dream" (75% SR).

YTD SR - 65%

NW - £79.7k - market correction hit me for ~£4k (or 5% of my NW) between my trading account & pensions. Since I sold/was stopped of most of my positions, I'm sitting on the sidelines waiting for the market environment to improve. There are currently too many uncertainties in the market for my style of investing to be profitable.

Health

Workouts - 28 out of 31 days (90%). I'm up to 13 pull-ups (from 7 in mid-July). Benchpress is 91% of bodyweight - would be good to get this to 100% by year-end. Weight is the same as last month - I didn't eat as much as I thought I did.

Walking - 353k steps vs. the target of 310k. YDT I'm at 3m steps & 40k behind the target.

Shares represents the value of my trading accounts, however I'm currently mostly in cash as mentioned above.

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:23 pm

I continue to be amazed by your low spending. I'm going to try my hardest to get our household spending to <$36k/yr, and even that seems like it will be a struggle.

wolf

Post by wolf » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:44 am

Bankai wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:15 pm
1.05 JAFI annualised
Since creating the JAFI-metric, I'm using it also in my monthly controlling. Great to see, that you do, too! :)
And having a JAFI around ~1 is great! Keep the good work, as always.

Bankai

Post by Bankai » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:47 pm

@2B1S - we're not that far away, I'm probably ~35% lower (than $36k) while living in a (much?) lower CoL area.

I think the keys to our low expenses are as follows (in this order):

* (relatively) low mortgage payment
* walking distance to work, groceries & parks (no car)
* my wife likes cooking and does it pretty well (low eating out)
* internet as the ultimate entertainment (no recurring expenses on 'fun')
* 1 cheap holiday abroad per year (£700 for 2 weeks in central/eastern Europe beats £4k for a week in Vegas or Dubai anytime)

@wolf - yeah JAFI & 75% savings rate are good benchmarks to always keep in mind. Being at or around both consistently almost guarantees to reach 4-3% SW at some point over the next several years. Although overkilling both (i.e. 0.8 JAFI & 80% SR) would be even better.