Bankai's Journal

Where are you and where are you going?
Sabaka

Re: Bankai's Journal

Post by Sabaka »

Hiya Bankai,

Well done on maintaining a good savings rate despite the purchases! Most of those purchases seem to be multi-year items items, so you are well set up for the next few years! :)

I am also hoping that the quarantine will help to keep my own expenses down, but the library has also closed and I'm reading much more, so who knows? :lol:

As regards to an Investment ISA, one you might like to have a look at is Trading212. I believe it meets your four requirements, although I've not used their charting tools previously so I am not sure as to their quality. More information can be found here if you are interested: https://www.trading212.com/en/Trading-C ... ns?tab=ISA

Good luck for the future, stay healthy! :)

Bankai

Post by Bankai »

Thanks Sabaka!

Yeah, all the big items should now be good for the next few years, unless something in the kitchen breaks. I hope to continue with high SR considering that there are not many ways to waste money nowadays and we're unlikely to go abroad this year. But then again that's what I was thinking each of the last few years and there was always something coming up so let's wait and see.

Re: books - the open library is a great free source: https://openlibrary.org/

I did consider Trading212 but in the end, I opened an account with IG. So far so good, their platform is better than anything I used before and commissions are quite cheap (£3 for UK stocks and free for US stocks) if you make enough trades, which I intend to do.

Bankai

Dec - Mar update (health)

Post by Bankai »

Workouts
2019: 361/365 I missed two days due to flu and the other two just forgot.
2020Q1: 82/91 I missed 8 days after having wisdom teeth extracted (working out with a mouthful of blood is no fun) and forgot once.

Walking
2019: 4.1M (11.25k a day)
2020: 530k (5.5k daily) - can already see the adverse impact of lockdown and WFH. Still, plenty of time to make it back.

Weight
I had another dip early in the year when the dentist messed up with my routine. However, due to the pandemic, I'm WFH since early Mar and have much more time and energy for heavier workouts and the weight is going up nicely. However, it's not all lean so I need to tinker with my diet a bit.

Health & fitness goals for the year
  • Never miss a workout for the remainder of the year
  • Weight up to 80kg (currently 76kg)
  • BF down to 10-12% (unsure what the current level is, online calc suggests 17-19% but I think way less than that)
  • 5k below 20 minutes (last year PB 22:51)
  • 25 pull-ups (PB 18)
  • bench press 125% bodyweight (PB 107%)
  • Murph below 1 hour (haven't done any yet but probably would need 1h20m)
If I achieve all of those I'd be amazed and very satisfied, but even getting halfway there will be good.

Edit: I also ditched coffee and alcohol c. 3 months ago. So far so good, don't miss them at all, but I still expect to have an occasional beer on a hot summer day.

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

Hi Bankai, how's it going? Love the way you put down very concrete goals and aim at achieving them!

Writing it sipping a coffee, and wonder what was the reason for ditching it?

Bankai

Post by Bankai »

An update is long overdue so here it goes...

“Change is the only constant” describes 2020 pretty well. Adaptability and flexibility were the skills to have, as was the stoic ability to ‘zoom out’ and distance oneself from the current burning issues. Regardless of spending probably 99.5% of the time at home, I can’t say that 2020 was boring. To be fair, I'm not necessarily sad it's over. But I also don’t agree with everyone saying it was the worst year ever and 2021 can’t get any worse. That might be true if only considering last 30 years, but human history goes further back than that and in grand scheme of things 2020 can’t compete with war, famine or plague (the real one). Or just a shitty everyday life of almost everyone in pre-industrial revolution times.

1) Health

Fortunately, our families and us stayed healthy and didn’t get the virus. At least officially, as some got ill with flu-like symptoms, but no one had to go to the hospital. Unfortunately, my wife was diagnosed with a chronic neurological condition which affects her in multiple ways, mainly by significantly reducing her energy. She won’t be able to work full time for foreseeable future (likely never) and dropped her workweek to 3 days a week. On a positive side, her depression didn’t come back, which was my main worry this crazy year. In a sense, having diagnosis was a relief as at least we know where we stand now and what needs and what can’t be done. There’s a good chance for at least partial recovery but main focus is to not let it get worse.

Diet was mostly unchanged, although there was a period of a couple of months during which some sweets crept into our weekly shopping list. This was corrected swiftly and barring traditional la grande bouffe during Christmas there were no other slips. I mostly managed to stay away from alcohol with the exception of an occasional beer in summer. My estimate is about 30 beers, 2 bottles of spirits and 3-4 bottles of wine, making 2020 consumption one of the lowest ever. I’m taking another break from alcohol now, until at least the summer. I managed to stay away from coffee almost the whole year, but slipped back in a few weeks ago after returning to work from holiday during which I’d sleep until very late. This is easily fixable though, the habit is in early days so still easy to break, plus I’ve done it before so know exactly what to do/expect.

Lastly, exercise… this is probably my biggest disappointment in the last year. I had mighty plans and goals but ended up not prioritising it sufficiently. I worked out 272 times, missed 15 days and in 79 days I didn’t even record if I exercised or not. Having said that, working out c. 75% of days is still pretty good compared to average. The action plan to fix it is very simple: get up in the morning and work out first thing in the morning so it’s done before breakfast.

2) Relationships

My wife and I spent a lot of quality time together last year. Working from home definitely helped here and not being able to go anywhere forced us to be creative. We definitely feel that we got even closer over last year. On the other hand, my contact with family loosened up somewhat. I got into a mindset of ‘I’m the one reaching out every time, now it’s their turn’, however this means one might wait really long time indeed. I missed face to face meetings with friends the most – only managed to meet them few times this year. At least we could still call each other.

3)Work

Nothing ground-breaking here. Since March or so I’m working from home. This saves me c. 1.5h a day as well as allows me to use downtime during working hours more productively (previously I’d be reading news or chatting to people, nowadays I watch markets and read). Workload is manageable and generally there’s nothing to be unhappy about, maybe with the exception of not getting a bonus this year. But my company will make a big fat loss this year and likely next, so I never expected any bonus anyway.

4) Time allocation

Over the last year I spent a massive amount of time reading on trading/investing, researching companies, trading stocks and generally gaining experience. This was at the cost of pretty much everything else as I’ve only read a couple of non-financial books last year and generally neglected all other interests including working out and participating in this forum. I can’t say I’m living a balanced life currently, but then at least I’m prioritising what I like doing the most. It’s also quite unusual for me as I generally get bored with things rather quickly. Additional benefit of focusing on one thing was

5) Money

Expenses in 2020 were £16,100 or £8,050 per person (1.15 JAFI). Excluding capital part of mortgage payments, expenses were £13,500 or £6,750 per person (0.96 JAFI)

There was one ‘true one-off’ – my wife’s application for UK citizenship costing c. £1,500. Adjusting for that, expenses were £6,000 or 0.86 JAFI per person.

NW: £156k (+48% yoy).

Some charts:
Nothing special about expenses 2020 other than them being quite low:

2/3 of expenses being needs means there's some small amount failure build into my FI plan as the 1/3 of wants can be trimmed somewhat if necessary.:

If I decided to never spend any money again other than on food & bills, I guess I could say I'm FI... obviously not gonna happen:

Lifestyle inflation is real... at least this year saw discontinuation of the trend:

Some excitin savings rate last year, especially when including private pension contributions and capital part of mortgage payments as savings:

Flat equity growth waw mainly due to updating the value of the flat for the first time since we bought it 3 years ago. I should probably pound-cost-average rather than waiting until I have £20k to use ISA allowance all at once:

Money makes money but main thing this chart shows is that it's super important to focus on income early on in the journey - my NW grew as much this year as in first 4 years of my ERE journey combined. Yes, ERE on minimum wage can be done but it's neither pleasant nor fast.. much better to focus on getting a job that pays at least average wage and worry about savings rate etc. later:

6) What's next

I'm on track to FI @3.5% within 2-3 years depending on market performance. I consider 3.5% very safe but I'm confident I'll achieve better returns from trading & investing over long term anyway. Safety margin will come from state pension, ability to reduce 1/3 of expenses which are wants, some hobby money, option to rent out our second bedroom, and if worse comes to worst, going back to work (any work will do considering below-jacob level of expenses).

In the meantime, I will continue to study the markets with the ultimate goal of beating the indexes consistently. If I loose interest or decide it's not for me, plan B is to put everything in a selection of investment trusts with outstanding long-term record (already doing it with half of my non-pension liquid NW).

Bankai

Post by Bankai »

guitarplayer wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:15 am
Hi Bankai, how's it going? Love the way you put down very concrete goals and aim at achieving them!

Writing it sipping a coffee, and wonder what was the reason for ditching it?
Hi guitarplayer! Concrete goals are great but sometimes priorities/interests/circumstances shift which is what happened to me last year. I didn't achieve any of the ambitious physical goals listed, but made some decent progress in other areas - see above!

As to the journal, I don't think updating it monthly adds much value to myself or anyone reading it as it's usually quite repetitive. But I might update it on a less frequest basis, perhaps quarterly or every six months.

singvestor

Post by singvestor »

Love the graphs... your expenses are also super low, impressive

Bankai

Post by Bankai »

Thanks singvestor!

I'm very happy with last year's expenses, but I'm under no ilussion we can keep them that low longer term. There's a lot of pent-up demand in our household, mainly for international travel but also for going out to restaurants, visiting places locally etc. So I expect spending to go up this and next year, unless travel continues to be restricted.

chenda

Post by chenda »

Excluding capital part of mortgage payments, expenses were £13,500 or £6,750 per person (0.96 JAFI)
Great graphs :) I'm trying to compare my budget to yours...if you were not cohabitating and couldn't split household bills, where do you think this would be...about £10 000 (excluding bills) ?

Bankai

Post by Bankai »

Thanks Chenda!

Mortgage & bills are £7,200, on my own I'd pay ~£500 less for council tax and mobile.

Food is £3,400, on my own that'd be about 60% I guess? (I eat more). Call it £2k.

Everything else: I probably drive 40-45% of spending, DW 55-60%. Say £2,350 out of £5,5k.

So all in all, I'd still be spending c. £11k out of £16,1k or 68%. Which is interesting because I think the way households are normalized in statistics depending on number of adults is that it's +50% for each adult above 1. Which is basically spot on where we are.

EDIT: forgot about heating - I'd heat a lot less so that's £300 or so saved. Not a gamechanger.

chenda

Post by chenda »

@thanks Bankai, sorry I meant to write (excluding mortgage) but yes ~70% sounds about right for dividing a two person budget in 'half'.

I think we're about the same for our basic expenditure. Travel and other indulgences are very ad hoc for me.

Bankai

Q1 2021 update

Post by Bankai »

1) Health

I had issues with my back in Jan/Feb which meant no working out for about a month. I couldn't identify cause of pain but eventually it went away as suddenly as it appeared. I'm back to lifting for almost a month now and getting closer to my max lifts from last year. I'm also eating a lot, aiming at 800 kcal daily surplus, but annoyingly my weight doesn't move one bit. I also started taking longer walks to build stamina ahead of lockdown ending and hiking season.

I haven't had any alcohol for >3 months now, coffee for >2 months & only had sweets a couple of times in last 3 months. With the weather getting really nice I do have occasional thought of drinking a cold beer in the sun but so far resisting it. My aim with no alco is to go for 6 months and then have an occasional beer or 2 in the summer. Coffee I don't miss at all. Sweets are the worst so staying away from them is actually easy (unless someone buys them for me which is what's happened those couple of times when I had some this year).

Overall, both diet and exercise are on a good track.

2) Relationships

DW has a flare up of her condition and is currently off work for a month. She's mainly resting and slowly getting better, but she might need more time off before she's able to go back to part-time work.

It's hard to make new friends while not leaving house so I focus on maintaining exiting ones. I started playing board games online with a group of friends about once a week.

3) Work

Stable. I'll only get a tiny payrise to cover inflation and I won't get a bonus this year. I compensated by increasing by pension contributions (saves me 33% tax which is equivalent to 50% instant profit). Maybe I should start looking for a better paid job now that I'm not limited to my city only and can work from home for a company based anywhere in the UK.

4) Time allocation

I spend most of my time learning investing and trading. I read several books this quarter and watched a few anime. I also really want to start getting out of the city for some hikes. This lockdown easing can't come soon enough.

5) Money

Expenses in Q1 were £3,110 or £1,550 per person (0.98 JAFI annualised). Excluding capital part of mortgage payments, expenses were £2,430 or £1,215 per person (0.78 JAFI annualised). Expenses were artificially lower due to no Council Tax payments in Jan & Feb.

SR: 84.6%. I used to track and report 3 different savings rates but going forward will simplify it and only report the most relevant one which includes persion contributions and capital part of mortgage payments in savings.

NW: £161.5k (+3.5%). After a good beginning of the year, in Feb growth stocks went into correction and are still consolidating. Until the uptrend resumes, I don't expect to be making much in capital gains.

Jiimmy

Post by Jiimmy »

Hello, just wanted to say that I love your charts! Nice work!

wolf

Post by wolf »

Well done bankai with the ultra low expenses in Q1.
It is great to see that the stock market crash in 2020 didn't have an influence at all to your NW.
What kind of investment strategy do you follow or did you read about? Have you decided yet ;-) It took me about ten years to learn, choose and decide for one finally. And now I've got the challenge to stick with it. But this time I'm quite certain that it could be valid for some years (maybe decade), at least until I reach my preferred AA. It's definitely about the process and not the destination. Well, I wish you more luck and a faster process with deciding and sticking to ONE investment strategy.

fingeek

Post by fingeek »

Super high SR, nice work! And I love the graph of "Items covered for life". I've split mine into fixed & fixed+optional but I like the granularity (and therefore more flexibility) of yours!

At what point is FIRE for you? Ie how much further into Travel, Stuff, Clothes etc before you pull the plug?

ducknald_don

Re: Q1 2021 update

Post by ducknald_don »

Bankai wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:45 pm
Maybe I should start looking for a better paid job now that I'm not limited to my city only and can work from home for a company based anywhere in the UK.
It feels a bit early to say the WFH landscape has changed for good. My guess is many of the PHB's can't wait to get people back to the office so they can count warm chairs.
Bankai wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:45 pm
Expenses were artificially lower due to no Council Tax payments in Jan & Feb.
You can ask the council to spread your payments over 12 months rather than 10. Doesn't make much difference if you have plenty of cash on hand but I like to even these things out :)

Bankai

Post by Bankai »

@Jiimmy: Thanks!

@wofl: I got lucky because I was in cash last March. However, my wife put half of her NW into FTSE all-share tracker just 2 months before the crash, so timing couldn't be worse! Fortunatelly, she's recovered all losses by now. Great question about investment strategy, I'll come back to it later as need some time to construct proper answer.

@fingeek: Thanks! Great question about FIRE - the short answer is: I don't have an exact date or amount yet. The are quite a few moving parts here. The figure of c. £250k required to support current expenses at 3.5% WR is based on average expenses over last 24 months. But these 24 months covered 2 very different years: in 2020 we spent very little as we didn't travel or go out much, and didn't have any large bills/stuff to replace. On the other hand, 2019 was our highest spending year ever with 2 laptops and 2 smartphones replaced as well as some other 'one off' expenses. So our actual expenses while FIRE'd will look quite different: less on stuff, clothing, alcohol & eating out, (much) more on travel. We're actually likely to spend more after FIRE than now as we want to travel a lot.

We are also contemplating 3 lifestyle changes, each of them potentially adding a high 5 figure sum to required stash size. Firstly, we really don't like winters in Scotland. Spending Nov-Feb abroad, preferably somewhere warm (Mediterranean) would cost c. €1.5k per month, on top of bills we would still need to pay here. Secondly, I don't think I want stay in our current flat forever. We're in one of the cheapest parts of one of the cheapest cities in the UK, so moving to a better area is quite high on my list. DW is quite happy here so nothing's been decided yet, but moving to a better neighbourhood and potentially adding another bedroom could require another £100k. And then there's a car. We never had one, but potentially we migth want one at some point, especially if DW's condition doesn't improve and she won't be able to move around much. Assuming total cost of ownership is c. £3k pa, that's another £84k required to support with 3.5% WR. We might not go for all 3 as if we spend significant amount of time abroad, the case for a car and nicer house is weakened (we'd still need to pay 'full' annual cost while only utilising them for a part of each year), but the final figure could be somewhere north of £300k.

Having said that, pulling the trigger at 3.5% WR (of current expenses) historically has been very safe and there's a good chance of the stash compounding to the level which could support those 'extras' within first decade or so of retirement.

Another thing is that all the figures I'm reporting are my own, DW is a bit earlier in her accumulation and is currently working part-time, so there's likely to be some adjusting to be done here, either me working longer to cover the difference or her continuing part-time work when I'm already done.

@ducknald_don: That's a good point. I don't think there'll be 100% back to office on a mass scale, but if flexible model becomes the norm and there's still an expectation of showing up in the office for 2-3 days a week, it would be equaly difficult to work fully remotely. Re: council tax - yeah, I might look into it.

JollyScot

Post by JollyScot »

I understand the wanted to shift to some of the nicer areas of the city. Although the city can be good there are still a few areas that are quite there yet. It has move a lot in the last 20 years though. Some of the areas slightly north of the city are getting some larger scale upgrades. They may be slightly better priced that say the west end if that is what you are looking for.

The few months abroad was our plan too. The winters here can be pretty brutal. More managable when the restaurants and events running. Without those been a bit of a depressing winter. Could try and round up a few similarly minded people to spread the costs some. We did a 2 month stint in the canaries and had several friends come out for 1-2 weeks overlapping. That spread the cost out. We got cheaper monthly accomodation, they got a cheap 2 week break that was largely organised for them.

Bankai

Post by Bankai »

Yeah, was mainly looking at west end and south side. We never lived in the north part so weren't really considering it, but it might be worth doing some research. And yeah, the city really improved and I think it will keep improving with the marco tailwinds it has. Which has the flipside of property prices unlikely to go down anytime soon.

There's a ton of things to do in the city even in winter, but the combo of dark, cold and rain sometimes saps all motivation to even go out. Good idea with spreading accomodation costs. Also more fun with some friends over. Most of ours have kids though so logistics would require some careful planning. But I like the idea!

Nomad

Post by Nomad »

I was looking at your graphs and your required income compared to net worth.
There is a slight vagueness around the idea of the mortgage for a couple of reasons.
Firstly, unless it is an interest-only mortgage at some point this will be paid off and therefore will not be an expense.
So you could do a version of the graph that indicates what is required once the mortgage is paid.
Secondly, not all of the mortgage payment is an expense.
The mortgage is actually two amounts, some is paying down the principle and some is paying interest for the preceding month.
Only the interest payment is truly an expense paying down the principle is really just moving money from a current account and
reducing the amount owed.